Arkham Origins Introduces Female Version of Copperhead

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Arkham Origins Introduces Female Version of Copperhead

Since Batman's villains are almost entirely male-focused, Warner Bros. thinks it can add a little variety to Arkham Origins.

When you're examining the Batman universe or videogaming in general, one interesting fact keeps cropping up: a lot of the villains tend to be dudes. There's nothing necessarily wrong with a well-written male villain, but when Batman only has four female antagonists to turn to, you may want to throw another in there just for variety's sake. Thankfully, in our era of reboots and reimaginings, there's a rather simple and elegant solution: take an obscure character that fans aren't attached to, swap the gender, and give them a slightly revised origin story. That's the route Warner Bros. will take for the upcoming Arkham Origins, which sports a female version of the snake-themed villain Copperhead, albeit without the giant snake hoodie.

The new Copperhead received a warm introduction at a recent San Diego Comic-Con panel. After summarizing the basic premise of Origins (Black Mask wants Batman dead, assassins are hired, etc), viewers watch as Copperhead breaks out a prison mid-interrogation and kills a rather surprised police officer. Once free, she immediately goes after the younger Batman, who is caught off-guard by her agility, contortion abilities, and finally, snake venom nails. (Gotta watch out for those, you know.)

In fairness, Copperhead is already female in DC's New 52 universe, but Origins' version is a snake-themed assassin as opposed to a literal snake woman. In fact, DC editor Geoff Johns apparently likes the Origins version so much that he intends to integrate her back into mainstream comic books. As for Origins, we'll have to wait and see if Copperhead is a decent character in and of herself, or just a female obstacle for Batman to overcome. Still, in terms of adding a little variety to the universe, this doesn't seem like a bad idea so far.

Source: Newsarama

If they write her well, I'm all for this.

I'm currently imagining her as Sigourney Weaver from Holes, except ten times more terrifying.

Fanghawk:
but when Batman only has four female antagonists to turn to

I feel terrible about this, but just to showcase exactly how monogendered the ranks lead, I can only think of three. Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy--Who was the fourth major Bat-Villain?

Oh, wait, hey, Talia Al Ghul. Yeah, this is a welcome thing. Also, HA! Well played, Warner Brothers. Well played.

Does it use GFWL? If so, I'm not interested in the game.

What is it about women and using vaginas to the face as their main weapon? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I'd imagine it takes way too much energy to wrap your legs around everyone's necks when you're in a fight.

Not particularly impressed. She's just Catwoman with poison. Or Poison Ivy with catlike agility.

I like her hairstyle though.

Don't care all that much, Copperhead was always just a teeny bit lame.

Though I would probably have been more impressed if they'd made her into something other than WomanWhatFightsWithAcrobacy #3914

I mean, looking at her fighting style, she's basically the EXACT same as Catwoman from Arkham City.

Why couldn't we have the snake woman from the New 52?

That would have been much more interesting.

Edit:

And about the female villain thing, couldn't they have brought in Jane Doe?

She is criminally underused, though perhaps she wouldn't fit in this kind of story.

So my first reaction to this was "Who?"

Now after watching this there is only one thing I really have to say. Batman is sounding a little bit like Christian Bale here.

She seems to resemble Catwoman a bit in fighting style, but she's a whole lot different since she slithers about and goes about it a lot smoother. And hey, the male version (from the justice league cartoon) was actually pretty ineffectual (he poisoned someone like...once I think). More of a joke than anything else. This version seems to be a whole lot cooler.

Wonder if we'll see another female villain sometime in the game.

I'm more disappointed that Copperhead is being included at all. No one freaking likes Copperhead. Than again, making a female version might be a ploy to renew interest in the character.

Great, now I can't stop imagining Chris Redfield as Batman.

Oh right Copperhead, she looks cool I guess. Hoping shes not a ineffectually joke like the actual Copperhead but this is an Arkham game. They made Calendar Man creepy for peeps sake.

Daaaah Whoosh:
What is it about women and using vaginas to the face as their main weapon? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I'd imagine it takes way too much energy to wrap your legs around everyone's necks when you're in a fight.

Also, make sure you kick their kick in first. Otherwise, could go very, very badly.

Must...............resist making...............joke about Feminazi...............taking over videogames............castrating male characters.........and destroy our masculinity.....Blagh

OP:Looks cool the old character was lame this will add some spice to the game and the character :D

But that's just like Harley's costume from City. And Catwoman's fighting style. I don't have any affection for the other Copperheads, but this version isn't very interesting either.

Daaaah Whoosh:

Vaginas are scary, they work like magic and have powers beyond male comprehension.

This is 100% cool.

Throughout DC history there have been new versions of old villains.

They tend to be called Name # but this is fine with me :).

I bet it'll be cool.

Daaaah Whoosh:

It's not really a "it looks cool" thing, it's something you can actually do in a fight, though I'm not sure which martial arts style incorporates it (I'm sure someone here does though?). The basic idea, the way I see it, is that with your legs around a person's neck, you've got your entire weight to throw around against a very weak point of your opponent that they're not keen on resisting, what with the neck snapping and all.

Here's if a frankly gorgeous gif of it someone posted up a few months back:

I wonder what other genderflipping might work for characters...

Steel? Effectively a female Iron Man in Metropolis with a fucking hammer? I can get behind that...

The Gentleman:
I wonder what other genderflipping might work for characters...

Steel? Effectively a female Iron Man in Metropolis with a fucking hammer? I can get behind that...

This actually happened. His daughter Natasha took over the job for a few years pre New 52, and apparently she appears in Kingdom Come.

Daaaah Whoosh:

You trick the man into thinking, "wait a minute, this isn't so ba- oh fuck."

A long, long time ago, I took a martial arts class and we practiced jumping up and locking our legs around the neck of an opponent. Really hard to do, harder when your shorter than your opponent, just seemed like too high risk for me.

I do like the hair, the eyes, the makeup, the theme. No voice given, or personality, but I'd suggest predatory, but avoid the sexual overtones.

My biggest issue is that the outfit is boobalicious. Is it too much to expect something at least 25% practical for fighting, sneaking and killing?

I SUMMON THEE, HAWKEYE INITIATIVE!

BehattedWanderer:

Fanghawk:

I feel terrible about this, but just to showcase exactly how monogendered the ranks lead, I can only think of three. Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy--Who was the fourth major Bat-Villain?

Oh, wait, hey, Talia Al Ghul. Yeah, this is a welcome thing. Also, HA! Well played, Warner Brothers. Well played.

Hehehe, I was having the exact same problem, actually. I could name off those three but couldn't think of the 4th. Thanks for remembering for me! :P

I've got this game preordered, I'm hoping the "Play as Deathstroke" will be him having his own mini-campaign like Catwoman did in Arkham City, and not just being able to play as him for the combat and stealth challenges like Robin and Nightwing (excluding the bits in Harley's Revenge where you play as Robin).

All I can say is: Who? I didn't even know such a villain existed, not a very appealing name.

RJ 17:

BehattedWanderer:

Fanghawk:

Hehehe, I was having the exact same problem, actually. I could name off those three but couldn't think of the 4th. Thanks for remembering for me! :P

Aheam, there is also
- Man-Bat (the female version that you can't tell is female until it assumes its human form again)
- Lady Shiva
- The Absense
- Big Top
- Nyssa Raatko
- Amba Kadiri
- The Scarabs (who are literally assassins, the most well known of which in the pre-NU52 comics was female)

An considering that this story contains Deathstroke, i could easily suggest Deathstrokes daughter as the assassin. Or even Black Tarantula

Frankly its not so much the gender inversion legacy that really bugs me about this (thats actually par for the course in comics): Its that they didn't give her the snake suit. Without the snake suit Copperhead isn't Copperhead... Its like having some random person call himself batman who doesn'y wear the batsuit, or fight crime.

matthew_lane:
Frankly its not so much the gender inversion legacy that really bugs me about this (thats actually par for the course in comics): Its that they didn't give her the snake suit. Without the snake suit Copperhead isn't Copperhead... Its like having some random person call himself batman who doesn'y wear the batsuit, or fight crime.

"I'm Batman!"
"No, you're not. You're Joe Smith...from Accounting."
"I...er...umm....I AM THE NIGHT! *straddles a mop and runs down the hallway*"

Wait.... Total revamp on copperhead... Into a female... and not even the decency to make it a ginger? WTF is this?!

Clearly someone needs to bring back Lady Clay.

Then why didn't you make deadshot a girl seeing how Warner brothers wanted a new character.

And the news of this game not being "true to the comic" might piss off one or two fanboys but progress even just for the sake of progress is progress none the less. I think she looks kind of cool and while deathstroke and black mask doesn't look like difficult boss battle material, copperhead actually looks like a threat even on normal difficulty.
Besides we already used up the her male characterdesign on Victor zsasz

But still no room for a playable Batgirl, or Batgirl game. GG.

Asuka Soryu:
All I can say is: Who? I didn't even know such a villain existed, not a very appealing name.

Most well known version is probably from the DC Animated Universe. Dude appeared quite a lot as 'generic henchman with powers'. He was also one of the main members of the shows first villain team up.

I dislike changing a character for the sake of diversity or to meat some kind of quota because it's just patronizing, if you have a good reason to make a gender/sex/race character that is intrinsic to that story or to that character then it works beyond just'Look we're not _____ist, please don't hate us'.
This works, Her design is cool (I'm a sucker for a girl with short hair), and this fighting and movement, while admittedly similar to Catwoman, dose tend to fit better with female characters.
They have clearly put thought into this redesign, I can respect that.

Pedro The Hutt:

.................That is a very good point.

Pedro The Hutt:

To be fair there is almost no audience for such a game & if it were to be done, you'd end up pissing off a whole heap of Batgirl fans no matter what choice you eventually ended up making.

Barbra Gordan: Developers hate asian people

The Asian one whose name escapes me because i didn't care for her: You hate disabled people

Batwoman: Oh you are just making a game about a lesbian to objectify women. SEXISM!

Stephany Brown Batgirl: Oh right, so we get the blonde, white bat-girl who replaced the asian batgirl because you developers are racist.

No developer in there right mind is going to open up that can of worms.

Pedro The Hutt:

Batgirl's supposed to be in the game, though. Doubt she's playable but she's most likely in it. I say most likely, it's all but officially confirmed.

Funny how when Copperhead was a guy he had, like, armor. Or clothes.

(or protective scales)

Hard to read this as anything more than "This game needed some more eye candy".

Evil Smurf:
Does it use GFWL? If so, I'm not interested in the game.

GreenManGaming has Steam listed as 3rd party DRM.

LtFerret:
Oh right Copperhead, she looks cool I guess. Hoping shes not a ineffectually joke like the actual Copperhead but this is an Arkham game. They made Calendar Man creepy for peeps sake.

I couldn't believe it was Calendar Man before I scanned him and got him Character Bio to show up. These writers are good. I trust them to make Copperhead interesting.

On topic: I think that's the New 52 version of Copperhead, which is going to be gender-switched after being made an anthropomorphic snakeman instead of some snake-eyed dude wearing a latex costume. Geoff Johns said they already planned on switching the character's gender and the change will be effective in the comics in November, so after the game's release.
Please, people, they didn't switch Copperhead's gender for the sake of meeting quotas or making eye-candy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here