Battlefield 4's Buildings Have Advanced Falling-Over Mechanics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Battlefield 4's Buildings Have Advanced Falling-Over Mechanics

Operation Metro, the most played map from Battlefield 3, will also most likely return in Battlefield 4

At an press event organized by EB Games Australia, EA showed off some exclusive footage of it's upcoming shooter, Battlefield 4, revealing a few new details about the game. Specifically, building destruction will play a much bigger role in BF4 that its predecessor, you can play the new "Commander Mode" both in-game and on a tablet, and fan-favorite Battlefield 3 map Operation Metro will most likely be making a return.

Fans of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 were a bit perturbed to discover that the building-falling-over mechanics in Battlefield 3 weren't quite as good as they were in BC2. While maps in BF4 can't be completely leveled, EA Marketting Director David Silverman assures us that BF4's destruction will be "much more dramatic" and will be similar to BC2's destruction.

He goes on to say that they are toying with the idea of letting players use collapsing buildings to destroy MCOM stations, like you could in BC2. Players will also have the ability to cut the power in indoor maps, in order to use the darkness and the stalled elevator shafts to their advantage.

Silverman also said that confidence in its skills in building multiplayer has led to DICE spending more time on creating a good singleplayer story. He assures us that this time around, NPCs will be more human, and the SP campaign will have a much bigger impact.

Players on the console platforms can expect a more integrated Battlelog system and the return of server rentals, while PC players will also be gaining a newly upgrade Battlelog, though it isn't known whether this will be integrated into the game or remain as web-based affair.

While no official system specs have been offered, the PC specs are reportedly very similar to BF3's specs.

Source: Ausgamers

If there is one thing I felt my games were lacking it was "Advanced Falling-Over Mechanics".

what if you are inside a building when it collapses?
what if you are in an elevator when the power is cut?
are those unfortunate players get fed to the internet god because someone wanted to have fun?

ALso more destructible enviroment is good, though whenever that is promised it either ends up compeltely silly mecnanic where a straw can float whole building (red faction: guerilla) or the descttion allwos you do remove floor tiles but not the actual floor so completely useless.

It's a bold new future indeed!

Just imagine: Mankind free from mediocre falling-over mechanics forever...

Strazdas:
are those unfortunate players get fed to the internet god because someone wanted to have fun?

ALso more destructible enviroment is good, though whenever that is promised it either ends up compeltely silly mecnanic where a straw can float whole building (red faction: guerilla) or the descttion allwos you do remove floor tiles but not the actual floor so completely useless.

if it's like BF BC2. Everyone in the building will die. and if your in an elevator... hmm.
Well there's a few solutions to that. For one they could have a hatch in the roof and a ladder that drops down to let people climb out. For another, "It stops at the closest floor" should work. For the last one, the elevator could drop to the bottom of the shaft and then open the roof so people can climb into the ground floor.

Let's see what Dice does with this mechanic anyway.

Silverman also said that confidence in its skills in building multiplayer has led to DICE spending more time on creating a good singleplayer story. He assures us that this time around, NPCs will be more human, and the SP campaign will have a much bigger impact.

Those still don't sound like good words to me. The words I want to here are 'Battlefield singleplayer will be closer to it's routes and involve larger maps and more dynamic battles, closer to the multiplayer'

Whereas 'NPCs will be more human' sounds more bad CoD rip-offs, and not the early ones either, rip-offs of games that are themselves bad reproductions of CoD4

Yes that is where you should invest massive amounts of money into...

Am I the only one, who thinks that it just means "now we got pre-rendered animations of collapsing buildings but with more dust so you can't see it!" when reading that?

Oi battlefield stop copying me i have advanced falling over mechanics when I'm drunk!

I am so hyped for this shit.

Not really, but I do appreciate destructable terrain wherever I find it, and for it to play a part in strategy is great to me. If only RFG's mechanics were a bit heavier on the stress and strain...

Ten bob says the trees are still immortal, maybe being weak enough to sway slightly in the destruction that surrounds them.

Teoes:
Ten bob says the trees are still immortal, maybe being weak enough to sway slightly in the destruction that surrounds them.

Fuck the trees, it's all about the lamposts. Drive through a solid brick building? No problem. Metal fence? Easily done. Concrete barrier? It's like cutting through butter. But a tiny metal lampost? Nope. Nopenopenope

damn, so i think i will stay out of buildings then. well, sounds all good. lets hope the game it self is fun to play. i still prefer a good TDM.
and metro the most played map???? funny, i hardly see this map on any server.

Teoes:

What game have you been playing? If Caspian Border still has tress at the end of the round, it's because you weren't using enough explosives!

Yeah, pretty sure this whole "Destruction" mechanics thing was what they said last time, and we all know how that turned out [Crap].
Still, I'm holding judgement on BF4 for now. May get it eventually, but only if it actually looks good once its out. They sound like they're heading in more of the right direction, but I wouldn't put it past them to fuck this up...

fix-the-spade:

Teoes:

What game have you been playing? If Caspian Border still has tress at the end of the round, it's because you weren't using enough explosives!

I don't play Battlefield, but was referring to the fairly standard vidya game trope whereby much terrain can be destructible, people go flying away from impacts, yet trees (and often also the aforementioned lampposts) will never ever be moved or knocked down.

Oh announcing Battlefield 2143? No? THEN FUCK OFF EA!

Really though, I suppose this is pretty neat, I am not really in the market to buy another modern warfare battlefield so soon after the last one, but hopefully they can use the same mechanics in a more interesting property.

This was actually one of my larger complaints about BF3. Too many levels just had nothing fun to do, nor interesting ways to use the destruction to your advantage.

Strazdas:

It's worth noting that Bad Company 2 wasn't like either of those.

*Facedesk* Really DICE? I had hoped that they had the ability to differentiate between a map that is popular because it is a good map and one that is popular because it is an exploitable boosting map.

I thought they had learned they can make fast paced infantry maps in the Aftermath DLC without resorting to throwing 64 players down 3 hallways....

Ok maybe it's just because I don't play this genre but I find it really quite sad that the only thing they can think of to sell their game on is that buildings fall over.

Steven Bogos:
He goes on to say that they are toying with the idea of letting players use collapsing buildings to destroy MCOM stations, like you could in BC2. Players will also have the ability to cut the power in indoor maps, in order to use the darkness and the stalled elevator shafts to their advantage.

Instead of diverting resources from MP towards SP, why don't they take those devs and actually implement these multiplayer changes everyone has been asking for? I'm not even a multiplayer fan and I realize that is where DICE's money should be going. Instead of making more "Press X to saw bromance partner's leg off" dumbed down QTEs they could actually be making skyscrapers scalable internally. Such a waste of resources for a game that very few even play SP.

I do love the idea of cutting electricity though! That's the type of things that'll make the game great, increasing battlefield dynamics and gear choice.

Just need to get this out first: Operation Metro is a fucking travesty of a map, I can't believe it is the most popular.

Now, OT: I never really liked that everything could get blown up so easily, I mean, it's cool and everything but after a few minutes there is nowhere to hide because everything is flattened.

Here's an idea for a truly revolutionary shift in story telling...How about a game where we're not killing Muslims, Russians or Chinese? Sure, I know the idea of not killing someone with dark skin is disgusting to DICE, but how about something crazy? What about a story where Canada invades the US? Maybe Australia attacks New Zealand? Maybe...just maybe...we play a country defending itself from the US aggressors? I'm sure people in the US are intelligent enough to cope with such a change of scenario.

TheSapphireKnight:
*Facedesk* Really DICE? I had hoped that they had the ability to differentiate between a map that is popular because it is a good map and one that is popular because it is an exploitable boosting map.

I thought they had learned they can make fast paced infantry maps in the Aftermath DLC without resorting to throwing 64 players down 3 hallways....

^This. Metro was unplayable if you wanted fun. The above quote is not even joking and three hallways is your best scenario in Metro. The reason it was most played is because when you cram 64 people into that small an environment, the unlocks keep coming because you're killing tons of people constantly. It's not fun though, it's basically just running into a hail of bullets constantly, there's no strategy or anything, just run, shoot, count your kills, get your upgrades, rinse and repeat.

So Call Of Duty Ghost has fish moving away from you and Battlefield 4 has falling over mechanics. I am just 'SO' excited.

What the hell are you guys playing at? No seriously, are you just making the bare minim changes to see if people will still buy your games? Its stupid not to have some innovation in your game, it doesn't have to be all new, but offer something that people haven't seen in that particular game before. DICE, Infinity Ward, EA, Activision, Do something new, your biggest games were the ones were you break the norm, you can do it again

Im going for a lie down, which with these new mechanics should be a breeze

Casual Shinji:
It's a bold new future indeed!

Just imagine: Mankind free from mediocre falling-over mechanics forever...

dont make fun of that!

my uncle died by mediocre falling over debris. he was fatally wounded with boredom.

btw, fuck gravity.

Steven Bogos:
and fan-favorite Battlefield 3 map Operation Metro will most likely be making a return.

And I stopped there because I was too busy laughing.

So they're putting back in stuff they took out of BF3 while keeping some of the shit too?

Nothing to see here.

seditary:

Steven Bogos:
and fan-favorite Battlefield 3 map Operation Metro will most likely be making a return.

And I stopped there because I was too busy laughing.

So they're putting back in stuff they took out of BF3 while keeping some of the shit too?

Nothing to see here.

Quite right, Operation Metro was the worst map in the game. In a game about combined arms warfare why would you want to fight in tight corridors with no vehicles? You might as well play CoD at that point.

Strazdas:

Actually, current physics have gotten solid enough that a building that falls apart properly is totally feasible.

Strazdas:

you know what? I kinda like the Idea of killing some one (or several some ones) in a game by dropping the building they're in on them. naturally doing so shouldn't be easy but it should be an option. Think of the you tube videos man!! Imagen what some one like Birgirpal would do with such freedom

Right so buildings fall over good. Anything new, interesting, or fun in the gameplay?

lacktheknack:

Actually, current physics have gotten solid enough that a building that falls apart properly is totally feasible.

Feasible, yes. Actually made? hardly.

Lunar Templar:
you know what? I kinda like the Idea of killing some one (or several some ones) in a game by dropping the building they're in on them. naturally doing so shouldn't be easy but it should be an option. Think of the you tube videos man!! Imagen what some one like Birgirpal would do with such freedom

I dont know who BirdGirlPal (tats how i read it the first time) is, but i agee that this could lead to a lot of ingame trolling which is always a blast to watch. my point was that it really becomes no fun for those involved except for the guy that make it happen.

The falling over mechanics is what differentiates BF from CoD(well, also the vehicles too), so it does actually pay to work on them. You have to admit it does allow for more tactical freedom in multiplayer.

Strazdas:

lacktheknack:

Feasible, yes. Actually made? hardly.

Lunar Templar:

I dont know who BirdGirlPal (tats how i read it the first time) is, but i agee that this could lead to a lot of ingame trolling which is always a blast to watch. my point was that it really becomes no fun for those involved except for the guy that make it happen.

firstly:

secondly: Since I won't play BF4 and videos like that are the only way I'll be able to enjoy the game, I say do it! Let the trolls be free on the servers >.> <.< just record it so I can watch later :3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here