NPD: The Last of Us Number One in U.S. During June

NPD: The Last of Us Number One in U.S. During June

The Last of Us Screen 09

The Last of Us snagged the top spot on U.S. sales charts with Animal Crossing: New Leaf taking second.

Proving that gamers all around the world love nothing better than a good opportunity to play their way into depression, The Last of Us has performed ably across a variety of markets, capturing the number one position in Japan upon its debut and holding the top spot on UK sales charts for, as of last count, five weeks straight.

Gamers wondering how Naughty Dog's tale of a future gone wrong has done in the United States, however, don't need to wonder any further. NPD group has released its June report, which shows that The Last of Us handily captured the number one spot in the United States. Following it at number two is Animal Crossing: New Leaf, likely purchased by people trying to cheer themselves up after beating The Last of Us.

It's worth noting that NPD doesn't track digital sales, something that could stunt figures for a game like Animal Crossing. That said, we still wouldn't be surprised if The Last of Us (also available digitally) legitimately did capture its high position on the sales charts. According to reports, Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic romp managed to move more than 3.4 million copies worldwide in its first three weeks on the market. It goes without saying that more than a few of those copies found their way into the hands of American gamers. Now, all that's really left to do is wait and see where it goes in the future. Such positive performances generally lend themselves, especially in the game industry, to sequels. That being the case, we're not sure, given the contents of its story, if The Last of Us is a game that really needs a part two. That said, players hoping for a chance to return to the game's world can take solace in DLC that Naughty Dog has promised for the future.

Source: VG247

New IP?

Story-based games?

Phht, those are never successful. More military FPSs, zombie sandboxes and fantasy RPGs please.

StewShearer:

The Last of Us snagged the top spot on U.S. sales charts with Animal Crossing: New Leaf taking second.

I think we all saw that Last of us was going to be number one this month I wouldn't have thought new leaf would be #2.

It makes a nice juxtaposition. Hyper realistic survival/ zombie game with in depth characters and emotional plot points, vs, Friendly Cartooney game about running a town were all your neighbors are animals and you owe money to a tanookie. It is just fantastic, I love both these games

I new story based IP?

With a focus on a young female protagonist?

Gee, it's almost as if games with exceptional quality control and made with a serious amount of love, sell!

Who da thunk it?

Daystar Clarion:
I new story based IP?

With a focus on a young female protagonist?

Gee, it's almost as if games with exceptional quality control and made with a serious amount of love, sell!

Who da thunk it?

Well, to be honest, it would've been the first time a fantastic game not adhering to the FPS genre didn't sell squat. Maybe it was the zombie hook that drew people in, maybe it was just lightning in a bottle, or maybe a large number of people decided to simply take a risk and invest in a new and promising IP. I would love for it to be the latter...

Anyway, I'm really glad it sold as well as it did. It's nice to see truly great work get appropriately commended. But please Naughty Dog, no sequel. Please don't franchise it to death, okay?

Well, it is a step in the right direction. The game is still a bit of a repressive mess, but the penmanship of the writer managed to save it from turning into a fungi zombie yawn fest.

Well its something I guess. Gaming still has a long way to go before it rekindles my passion for it again but its getting there slowly.

Good. This game is amazing and it deserves it

StewShearer:
Now, all that's really left to do is wait and see where it goes in the future. Such positive performances generally lend themselves, especially in the game industry, to sequels. That being the case, we're not sure, given the contents of its story, if The Last of Us is a game that really needs a part two

I haven't beaten it yet, but playing this game doesn't make me want a sequel. It actually makes me want to see more new games from Naughty Dog. I like Uncharted but its a shame to think we could have had new IP's like The Last of Us if they didn't bother with a trilogy

PoolCleaningRobot:
I like Uncharted but its a shame to think we could have had new IP's like The Last of Us if they didn't bother with a trilogy

The reason The Last of Us is as good as it is is no doubt due to all the experience Naughty Dog gained during the Uncharted trilogy. It's like the Uncharted games put all the heavy lifting work into setting the stage for The Last of Us to ultimately shine.

What would a sequel be called, "The Rest of the Last of Us"?

Casual Shinji:
Well, to be honest, it would've been the first time a fantastic game not adhering to the FPS genre didn't sell squat. Maybe it was the zombie hook that drew people in, maybe it was just lightning in a bottle, or maybe a large number of people decided to simply take a risk and invest in a new and promising IP. I would love for it to be the latter...

Anyway, I'm really glad it sold as well as it did. It's nice to see truly great work get appropriately commended. But please Naughty Dog, no sequel. Please don't franchise it to death, okay?

I want a sequel, not for the sake of it, but because unlike a lot of gaming series they managed to leave it open for one, without it seeming like an obvious cash grab.

That's not to say I'd be disappointed if they didn't as the game works fantastically on it's own and like you, I hope it doesn't get franchised into the grave, but I think this is one of very few games recently that could do with one without it feeling unnecessary.

At any rate I am glad that it has done so well, it easily deserves it.

Casual Shinji:

PoolCleaningRobot:
I like Uncharted but its a shame to think we could have had new IP's like The Last of Us if they didn't bother with a trilogy

The reason The Last of Us is as good as it is is no doubt due to all the experience Naughty Dog gained during the Uncharted trilogy. It's like the Uncharted games put all the heavy lifting work into setting the stage for The Last of Us to ultimately shine.

True. A lot of the mechanics, gameply, and design do carry over and it shows their experience. Not to mention Naughty Dog is probably the only developer to get that kind of performance out of a ps3 asside from the team that made MGS4. The game looks as good as running something on my pc on high

A good game making money?

Good

Zhukov:
New IP?

Story-based games?

Phht, those are never successful. More military FPSs, zombie sandboxes and fantasy RPGs please.

With a woman on the cover?! How did it not scare away all the men-folk! It's almost like men aren't so emotionally broken that they'll run from a game that features a woman on the cover.

Legion:

Casual Shinji:

I want a sequel, not for the sake of it, but because unlike a lot of gaming series they managed to leave it open for one, without it seeming like an obvious cash grab.

That's not to say I'd be disappointed if they didn't as the game works fantastically on it's own and like you, I hope it doesn't get franchised into the grave, but I think this is one of very few games recently that could do with one without it feeling unnecessary.

At any rate I am glad that it has done so well, it easily deserves it.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the ending.

I don't think there's anywhere else to go from there without retreading the same steps.

why does the article seem so genuinely surprised that The Last of Us beat animal crossing? I ask out of legitimate ignorance regarding the whole animal crossing thing. is the series really so popular that it would be expected to beat out a game with as much press attention as TLOA?

balladbird:
why does the article seem so genuinely surprised that The Last of Us beat animal crossing? I ask out of legitimate ignorance regarding the whole animal crossing thing. is the series really so popular that it would be expected to beat out a game with as much press attention as TLOA?

I never played Animal Crossing, but I assume it's sorta similarly popular as Pokemon. Meaning it'll likely sell a shitzilion copies regardless. So if another non-Pokemon game beats it, it's aparently a big deal.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here