Tangiers Takes Its Surrealist Stealth To Kickstarter

Tangiers Takes Its Surrealist Stealth To Kickstarter

Hmmmm. Buildings ignore gravity and architecture warps according to the mind-state of the inhabitants? Tell me more ...

Tangiers, an indie stealth game with a very unique and surreal take on the genre, has shifted over to Kickstarter in order to find the 35,000 it needs to keep its developers from starving to death. Drawing on Burroughs, Dadaism, the Throbbing Gristle and Thief - among many other inspirations - it wants to let you dispose of five other beings as you see fit, in a world that rebuilds itself as you play through it. But keep to the shadows! You just don't know when things will go a little too crazy, and reality is as fragile as a cobweb in Tangiers.

It's not as if it doesn't need the money. "It's all very utilitarian and DIY in the Andalusian office," says Andalusian's Kickstarter pitch, "the so called 'office' is Alex's bedroom, Michael's laptop is far too old and held together by duct tape and his office chair is missing a wheel." Both Alex Harvey and Michael Wright gave up their day jobs to put this together, and the 35,000 ask is going in no small part to keep them afloat as well as pay for the extra help, like art and voice acting. So far Andalusian has raised 7,000 at time of writing, with 25 days left to go.

Want to know more about the game's non-linear progression, odd architecture, reactive difficulty, and stealth engine? Well, the Kickstarter's over here, and there's a website over here. Take a look; if you happen to be of a surrealist turn of mind, you may be very glad you did.

Looks like Jack Skellington's cousin is trying to kill slender man.

I wonder what the hell he's hiding on the other end of his couch.

I love the look of this, but I cannot help but feel that it will either be more ambitious than they can handle, or will be fairly stilted and a bit rough around the edges. I think I will keep an eye on it, but will hold out on backing until I see how it's getting along.

DVS BSTrD:

Could be more couch. Or something we simply aren't yet ready to know. Maybe it's one of the stretch goals. What's on the other side of the couch? Revealed at 45k quid.

1337mokro:

DVS BSTrD:

Could be more couch. Or something we simply aren't yet ready to know. Maybe it's one of the stretch goals. What's on the other side of the couch? Revealed at 45k quid.

It was me on the other side of his couch.. the sun shines out of my arse.

yeah I would fun this but just like Satellite Reigns I doubt enough people would hear about it and this will never make it...god damn it though, I do like the looks of this.

Saucycarpdog:
Looks like Jack Skellington's cousin is trying to kill slender man.

My first impression was a very slimming Gru wanting to kill some slender men... or maybe Gru is pulling off the Jack Skellinton way of moving, only through the shadows... Either way, I'm calling him Sam until further notice...

This is the way all fresh games are going to be made in the future. Not just the economics, but it's good to see signs of mind expanding art and transgressive concepts finally finding their way into video games, and this is probably the only avenue by which that can happen.

We do need better tools. And public domain artwork. These guys are in the UK. So they can go on welfare if they have to like so many musicians and people like J.K. Rowling that have brought billions of dollars in taxes to the UK. And like so many of their inspirations.

How does Kickstarter work again. If the game isn't published as promised doesn't the money bounce back to the backers?

Legion:
I love the look of this, but I cannot help but feel that it will either be more ambitious than they can handle, or will be fairly stilted and a bit rough around the edges. I think I will keep an eye on it, but will hold out on backing until I see how it's getting along.

There's enough ambition here to leave at least something promising; with these kind of resources it's not exactly going to be a Thief-beater in terms of stealth, but it's at least very unique, and totally relevant to my interests. Could turn out to be at best a gem and at worst a flawed gem.

I'm not bumping this thread because I backed it. Not at all.

*ahem*

Pink Gregory:
with these kind of resources it's not exactly going to be a Thief-beater in terms of stealth

One day, I'd like to see someone try to beat Thief. Unfortunately, it seems that LGS set the bar too high.

I really hope this game meets it's goal. Sure, the game comes off as a bit pretentious, but it's the right sort of pretentious, unlike games like Dear Esther.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here