Soul Calibur II HD Online Coming to PS3 and Xbox 360

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Soul Calibur II HD Online Coming to PS3 and Xbox 360

Namco Bandai has revealed an HD version of Soul Calibur II that will available for download this fall.

Fans of fighting games and ridiculous costumes everywhere will have something to look forward to this Fall. During its "Future of Fighting Games" panel at Comic-Con San Diego, Namco Bandai revealed that it will be releasing an HD remaster of Soul Calibur II. Coming as a digital release for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Soul Calibur II HD Online will gloss up the second iteration of the popular fighting franchise and add new features to expand on the original game.

A trailer released with the announcement showed off the new version in action, comparing the standard definition visuals of the original to those of the HD upgrade. The results are fine; the game certainly looks smoother than it did in 2003, but its age definitely shows. That said, the visuals are far from the primary draw here. What should really excite fans of the game is the fact that the new version will be adding online multiplayer. That feature on its own could arguably make Soul Caliber II HD Online a worthwhile purchase for fans of the original.

Also among the things shown off in the trailer is the inclusion of Tekken's Heihachi Mishima, who was a special character in the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II. Notably, Spawn and Link, who were exclusive to the Xbox and Gamecube editions respectively, weren't in the trailer. Since a Wii U version hasn't been confirmed we're going to assume Link will be left out of HD Online. As for Spawn, Namco Bandai wouldn't comment when asked by attendees about whether or not he'd be in the game.

Source: IGN

Yay Necrid! Would be interesting if Link was included in all versions.

No Wii U version, despite the fact that the Gamecube version and its inclusion of Link was the best selling version when the game originally came out.

Sigh... Nintendo really needs to start throwing their weight around a little more with third-parties. They're actively collaborating with Namco on the new Smash Bros game, how hard would it be while they're working to stick their head round the door and go "By the way, you guys had better be making us a version of that HD Soul Calibur II you're working on!" Same with Capcom. They're already in bed with Monster Hunter, and there has to have been some form of conversation to get Mega Man into Smash Bros. How hard would it be while they're tucked up in bed to go "Since we're giving you all this free publicity, you'd better give us a Wii U version of Strider and Ultra Street Fighter IV, ok?"

I mean, when the best selling version of SCII is getting outright ignored for the remake... but then again, the PS2 version sold the least amount EDIT turns out sold more than the Xbox version, but still less than PS2, yet SCIII was a PS2 exclusive. I guess I shouldn't expect any common sense from the franchise at this point.

As an aside, the original Xbox version was actually capable of being played at a 720p resolution, even though HD tvs weren't really a thing back then. So unless Namco is going to upres the textures and up the poly count somewhat (and the comparison shots don't seem to suggest so), this is essentially the 720p original Xbox version, but with online play and a PS2 character. Interesting. I wonder how much they'll charge for it.

Too bad. Link was a badass in Soul Calibur II. Probably one of my favorite games on the Gamecube, and easily the best in the Soul Calibur series.

Link in Soul Calibur II was riding on the fame train from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so it logically was going to power GameCube edition sales. Right now I think a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing him back in the game just for nostalgia. Unfortunately, I don't own a Wii U and the chances of Nintendo ever letting Link show up elsewhere is slimmer than the polar icecaps spontaneously melting.

As for the PS2 exclusive Heihachi Mishima: That guy was the weakest of the guest characters by a long shot. Spawn and Link were both pretty powerful and capable of holding their own, with Spawn being nearly broken in many instances.

Edit: What this makes me really want at the moment is a space time bending Soul Calibur that lets us play with the old characters and the newer ones in their different incarnations. Plus, who wouldn't want to play as Zasalamel wearing a business suit and sunglasses.

Awesome, the most unbalanced game in the series get a remake....

Hopefully they tweak the game so the the balancing is a lot closer to "Tekken" than "Street Fighter"

AzrealMaximillion:

Soul Calibur II unbalanced? Compared to the glitchfest that was SCIII? I think not. There's a reason many people consider it the best in the series.

AzrealMaximillion:

Hopefully they tweak the game so the the balancing is a lot closer to "Tekken" than "Street Fighter"

The tournament mindset for these games destroyed the genre for one generation and built it for another generation. When the original came out everyone knew that certain characters were going to be more powerful than others thanks to their move sets. However, it wasn't viewed in a negative light like it is today because it allowed another form of difficulty adjustment on the players end. Also, despite the power of move sets being different, people still favored different characters.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Soul Calibur II unbalanced? Compared to the glitchfest that was SCIII? I think not. There's a reason many people consider it the best in the series.

Chronicles of the Sword... Oh sweet mercy that game type was broken beyond belief. I think it was 90% blocking near the end and about 5% slipping in quick attacks to chisel away at the enemies HP.

Now I get to beat the shit out of that Todd McFarlane piece of crap Necrid all over again.

Soul Calibur II is my favourite fighting game, actually managed to get 100% completion and Spawn was one of my favourite characters to use. But because I played it to death and the original Xbox version still works on my 360 don't think there's much intensive at the moment to get this.

This is sad, I loved Soul Calibur II but being honest I would prefer to see a Soul Calibur remake, or a Soul Calibur 3 remake... SC 2 was great game but, it didn't had all the nifty extra things SC1 and SC3 had, sc 2 is just too simple besides I don't play fighting games online so in my case I dont care if it has online play.

I'm a big fan of the soul calibur series but i'm gonna skip this one, I just hope to see SC6 or Soul edge 2 soon.

Good. The newest installment was a disaster with all the new characters that nobody cared about.

I love this game, one of my favorite fighting games. I really hope that they include Spawn and Link as they were fun to play with, but the online mode is a nice inclusion and definitely a game im getting

purifico:
Good. The newest installment was a disaster with all the new characters that nobody cared about.

The newest installment felt incomplete and lacking in effort. I had pre-ordered the collectors edition with expectations that it was going to be similar to the third and fourth installments, and instead it turned out to have only one main story, new characters with little explanation as to who they are or why we even should care about them, and a fairly bare bones arcade experience. Also, I am among the seemingly silent mass of people who did NOT like the changes to the combat system.

I played the shit out of SCII on PS2, so I'm definitely up for a refreshed version. One of my few favourite fighting games of all time.

EDIT: Why no PS Vita version?! It can't be that strenuous for the hardware.

Looks like it may be time for some SOULS and DARKNESS once again!

I can dig this. Only fighting game I've ever really enjoyed.

Well, I recently got the Gamecube version again and that is still damn fun so I will pass on this, I will enjoy playing as good ole Link.

I'm disappointed that this isn't getting a Wii U or PC version. I suppose I can get it on PS3, but I don't like turning on my PS3 more than I have to because it produces a lot more heat than my other machines, and I don't have air conditioning.

P.S. Thanks

No remake of the GameCube version? Well that's a kick in the pisser right there, as Link was fun to use in SCII. Oh well, I'll just go and buy the GameCube version and use my Wii2HDMI converter on it. :D

This Might be nitpicking but "second iteration of the popular fighting franchise" is not 100% correct the series start with Soul Blade so it is actually the third but I may be wrong.

Ah, my favorite fighting series and favorite game of said series. If only I can make my friend buy it for her PS3..

*yawn* Wake me when we get an updated version of SC3's character creation and Chronicles of the Sword.

Easily the best game in the series if for nothing other than the fact that it was the last one before "the great move list evisceration." Can't say I'll be picking it up personally, but it has my vote of approval at least.

No Link, no buy.

The Wii U could definitely use the game, and the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II was infamously amazing (with Link being one of the most enjoyable guest characters, if not THE guest character that every single guest character is judged by).

Even then, the Gamecube version far outsold the other versions, even with a system with less of an install base.

There's no excuses this time. People would buy the game on Wii U, and they would definitely buy it for Link (again). Get to it, Namco.

Link was the reason I got into the series in the first place, although even if it was on Wii U, I don't think I would care to buy it. I can play the original on the Gamecube and Wii anytime I want, I wouldn't need it anyway.

However if Soul Caliber VI makes its way on to Wii U, Link must come back, that would be an instant million(or two) copies right there, take note Namco!

Count me as another that doesn't care about the game since Link is not in there. I got SCII mainly because of Link, and after he was gone I could care less about the series.

Yeah, great to see Necrid and the older characters coming back, but really, it hardly looks any different to me. I approve of it's existence, but most definitely won't be getting it.

SC2 was the best one IMO. Nightmare was a complete badass, not the Siegfried-fragment hunting zombie they turned him into.

Plus I loved the Siegfried-Nightmare hybrid fighting style, once they split them again in SC3 Nightmare became allot weaker gameplay wise too.

Though I do like a few of newer charterers.

I'm far from a fighting game buff, but Link seemed to be a bit....unabalanced to me.
Maybe it's for the better that he's been taken out.

piinyouri:
I'm far from a fighting game buff, but Link seemed to be a bit....unabalanced to me.
Maybe it's for the better that he's been taken out.

I consider Link one of the weaker fighters. He has more variety as far as weapons go, but his attacks are slow, using the bow and bombs takes practice and guesswork, and the lack of combos makes him more predictable than the other fighters.

I still prefer playing with him though. Tripping up other players with bombs is fun, and he has great grabs that make for easy ring outs. He's a great character to troll with, which is probably why Namco won't use him for the re-release.

As far as the re-release goes, I'll stick with my old copy.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

AzrealMaximillion:

Most people who bought SC2 on the Gamegube thought it was the best SC game sure, but 3 is the most balanced and not as glitchy as you make it out to be. For one, Talim, Necrid, and the exclusive characters for each game, were overpowered.

SC3 clearly reeled back Talim's speed due to how ridiculous it was. I think people consider SC3 to be the best because it has the most characters and the last game in the series to have a respectable single player mode. The massive amount of content you could unlock in SC 3 thanks to the Create a Character mode made the game extremely replayable.

SC2 was a great game but there are a few characters that were too broken and as a result some match ups aren't fun to play.

SC has been ruined in my opinion for going back to the SC2 method of having OP guest characters and major balance issues. (Cervantes since SC4 anyone?)

Woo! One of my favorite fighters return :D

AzrealMaximillion:

Most people who bought SC2 on the Gamegube thought it was the best SC game sure, but 3 is the most balanced and not as glitchy as you make it out to be. For one, Talim, Necrid, and the exclusive characters for each game, were overpowered.

SC3 clearly reeled back Talim's speed due to how ridiculous it was. I think people consider SC3 to be the best because it has the most characters and the last game in the series to have a respectable single player mode. The massive amount of content you could unlock in SC 3 thanks to the Create a Character mode made the game extremely replayable.

SC2 was a great game but there are a few characters that were too broken and as a result some match ups aren't fun to play.

Wouldn't say that's too accurate, in all honesty. I mean, sure, Necrid was banned competitively for being too strong, but that was about it when it came to actual balance problems. Xianghua, Ivy, Cervantes, Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu were top 5 if I remember correctly, but everyone had a decent chance against them. As for Talim, she was pretty good(mid-high-tier I think), but she was far from overpowered.

Also, the guest characters weren't amazing. Heihachi and Spawn were respectively mid- and low tier iirc, and Link was widely considered the worst character in the game along with Yunsung.

The problem with discussing what characters are broken in the Soul series is that not only do we have specific game appearances to address, everyone has their own personal grudge match against certain characters that gave them trouble. We didn't start having significant figures to toss around until the addition of online match making with Soul Calibur IV.

I'm still hoping for a Souls game that keeps the good characters around or at least explains and gives some definition to the new characters outside of one-liners. It would also be good if they moved past this whole Sigfried / Nightmare pairing they've had in both SC4 and SC5.

this is good news, although, personally I preferred 3, I liked that extra story mode that had a strategic element to it (sort of) can't remember what it was called though, also character creation is always a plus

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here