Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

Batman/Superman Movie Logo

The follow-up to Man of Steel will put Batman and Superman together on the big screen for the first time.

It's been revealed that Warner Bros. is in the process of creating a sequel to Man of Steel that will pair Superman with Batman on the big screen for the first time. The new film will be helmed by Man of Steel director Zack Snyder with Christopher Nolan again on as executive producer and David Goyer returning to pen the script. The film is expected to release in Summer of 2015 and serve, in part, as a prelude to a 2017 Justice League movie.

The immediate question coming out of this announcement is what the new movie's relationship will be to Nolan's none-too-recent Batman films. Producer Emma Thomas, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel and will also be helping with the new Batman/Superman film offered some clarification. "Whilst our Dark Knight trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack's fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction." The Bats in the new film, it would seem, will not be the same gravel-voiced gangster puncher from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Comments by Zack Snyder would also suggest the meet-up between the two heroes could be less than friendly. "It's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world."

While we have to admit that it would be a neat turn to have Batman as an antagonist in the next Superman film, we still have some concerns that Warner Bros. may be rushing things a bit out of the hope of quickly piecing together a Justice League film to counter Marvel's monstrously successful Avengers. Granted, the team may arguably be up to the task and there are other DC hero films, such as a 2016 Flash movie, rumored to be in the works. That said, we're hoping Warner Bros. takes its time. The DC Universe is an incredibly rich setting possessing countless characters that deserve their own films and, in turn, could help set the foundation for a proper Justice League flick.

Source: IGN

Amazing! I was not that taken with Man of Steel but I liked the ideas around Superman, Batman however I love! It's going to be a long wait.

Just hoping that Batman doesn't steal the show completely.
Supposedly it's based on The Dark Knight Returns, but I'm hoping it only draws inspiration from it, I'd hate for a Superman movie to suffer from the infamous bat-fad...

Spoiler: Superman wins.

(Honestly, if the film shows anything other than a complete non-contest when these two fight, it's kidding itself. Batman's great, and I don't like Superman that much, but superstrength + laser eyes + flying > martial arts + body armour + bat-themed vehicles).

Considering what a train wreck Man of Steel turned out to be, this news does not excite me. It worries me... a lot.

I mean come on, we just finished with Nolan's Batman last year. Do we REALLY need a rebooted Batman less than 3 years later?

They are gonna screw this up royally. The biggest reason why The Avengers universe was so well translated to the big screen is because Marvel and Disney had a long-term plan for the franchise. They knew what they wanted.

And the judge of the contest will be Wonder Woman.

Crap, I was too slow to do an "Inb4 stupid fanboy hate".

Oh well, I enjoyed Man of Steel (seriously, stop whining about Superman killing someone. Who fucking cares, it made it interesting. Which is hard to do with the most boring "main" superhero of all freakin' time) and I am sure I will enjoy this next movie.

Hmmm.

Well I think I have very little excitement about this.

DC seems to want to ignore that it's movies are based around superheroes.
Batman and Superman have both had all their life sucked out of them to have these brooding pieces of cinema that focus on whether they should exist or not.

Marvel seems to be quite giddy about being based around comics and ends their movies on high notes.

Man of Steel vs Iron Man 3? IM3 easily was a more enjoyable movie.

I mean its up to people to decide for themselves, but I like that Marvel and Disney realize that they are basing their work around comic books, and not acting like the history of the characters should be ignored.

The new Batman Symbol is a LOT worse than the new Superman symbol.
Also, this is too soon. Superman should have at least one movie where he is against Lex Luthor or Braniac or one of his own rogue's gallery before thinking of team-ups. I know Iron Man didnt, but as stated before, Iron Man was part of the whole Avengers movie plan, while this is being made up on the fly.
Personally, I have very little hope for this movie. Sure, it will probably be good, but it's just too much like "we need to compete with the MCU" rather than "Let's make an awesome Justice League movie."
And also, am not looking forward to Moviebob's Big Picture regarding this. He's already whining in a lot of his recent videos about Man of Steel, this will just make me lose interest in him (I get his hate, but he's really whining in his reviews lately, like during his Amazing Spiderman phase).

Adam Jensen:
They are gonna screw this up royally. The biggest reason why The Avengers universe was so well translated to the big screen is because Marvel and Disney had a long-term plan for the franchise. They knew what they wanted.

I honestly think that with this film, Warner/DC are actually taking their time to establish their universe. They're setting up Clark and Bruce's friendship and potentially the need for a Justice League. If they release a Wonder Woman movie (who definitely needs one, since she has a rather "exotic" background), I can't see why a Justice League film can't move forward.

Green Lantern (horrible as it was), established the character and made the audience aware of him. If they introduce the Flash as a rookie hero/point of view character for the JL film (like Wolverine on the first X-Men movie) where we can be given a brief look into how he got his powers and how he's trying to use them...boom, instant JL setup.

Aquaman and Martian Manhunter can be saved for the sequel!

Rather surprised by this news but given the fact that DC/WB are still running on clueless mode with their properties (Man of Steel being a recent case), I'm not feeling confident that this will turn out well. DC/WB have a lot to do in order to compete with Marvel/Disney and the gap between the two rivals is getting wider every year.

Whos going to out pout and depress the other.....

Well... I was hoping for one more solo Superman movie. Man of Steel was great but it's focus was on Superman becoming the character we know him to be. I would have liked to see a movie where he is actually Superman, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

I am glad that DC isn't bothering with another Batman movie. Putting him in with the other characters works just fine. We all know his origins by this point anyway and changing the actor and look will signify that this is not the same Nolan Batman.

So I guess I'm mixed on this news.

While I don't want to overwork Snyder, I would love to see him do a Flash movie. Visually, it would be stunning.

They haven't even introduced Kryptonite into the Man of Steel movie universe yet and they haven't introduced magic into ether movie universe yet.

If they do come to blows Batman is screwed.

Article title should be: "Movie studio plays safest bet possible to continue milking audiences that like shiney things"

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd wager there's a 90% chance we get a movie that's part godzilla vs. mothra, and part the odd couple/grumpy old men.

My gripe is it seems a bit predictable. But I can't wait to see it on netflix.

Adam Jensen:

This pretty much nails it. Marvel and Disney made a clear and visible effort to build their world over the course of several movies, and this effort shows. They introduce SHIELD quite early on and have them play a prominent role in several of the films, and yet they still manage to make it plausible as to why each of the heroes is isolated from help.

DC, by comparison, has never EVER shown the ability to build the world beyond the current movie, nor does it seem to CARE about world-building.

The Dark Knight trilogy, for example, seems to operate under the belief that no one except Batman ever got the bright idea to put on tights and fight crime. When his city is under attack from multiple terrorists threatening a large-scale population (including a guy with a bloody nuke), none of the other heroes are even discussed, much less around to help out.

Green Lantern has Parallax threatening to obliterate several star systems, including Earth, and there's not hide-nor-hair of any other DC heroes being mentioned. All we see is the Green Lantern Corps, and we only get to see maybe 12 of those guys (because when you have an army of 7200, 12 guys should be more than enough to handle an enemy who has already wiped out multiple planets by this point, right?).

Man of Steel features Superman fighting Zodd, who plans to wipe out the entire planet, and no one else has anything to say about that?

Marvel includes lots of big and little nods to each of its movies' canons, keeping them linked in numerous ways even as they do their own individual things.

DC has, to date, given ONE nod to the rest of its heroes: Man of Steel features a brief moment when Zodd destroys a satellite with the Wayne Enterprises logo on it. That's it.

This is why Marvel knocked it out of the park, and why DC is already starting to fumble the ball before it's even out of the huddle. DC has no interest in building up to the Justice League or building the world to frame the Justice League. It's focused entirely on the short-term, on making each individual movie rather than trying to work towards a larger "whole". They need to take a copious number of pages from Marvel's playbook or they're going to screw this thing up before the movie even comes out.

Apart of me thinks Batman has nothing to add to the Man of Steel other that intelligents, It would be cool if Bat's looks like the one in the current Bat-books

The wayne logo was featured in MoS so i suppose it's unavoidable so my guess is they're both facing Lex

Wow... ballsy move.

Hope it works out.
MoS was not as good as Batman Begins, but I guess they're hoping to pull off a Dark Knight moment for Supes in the second outing.

Please don't let it suck...

Engage cautious optimism.

It's not gonna work...
Just sayin', this is not going to work.
I have this over reaching, dark feeling that it's going to fall faster and harder than Batman and Robin.

But if they're both in the same film, they'll cut into eachother's brooding time!

To be honest this seems like rushing into things, as people mentioned they don't really seem to have a plan and the existing Nolanverse Batman is a spanner of solid confusion in the works. You'll get a lot of people wondering what the fuck is going on with Bats (I'd suggest making this interpretation very different to the Nolan one), and I don't really think this has been set up properly.

Did not see this coming. It's ballsy to be sure, and probably won't work. It was bad enough wading through the miasma of depression that was Man of Steel. Which makes me wonder if this film won't devolve into a category 5 hurricane of sadness when these two meet.

"I had kill the last of my race!" versus "I saw my parents murdered in front of me!"

"I can still hear his neck snapping!" versus "I can still hear the pearls bouncing off the sidewalk!"

The only way this can work is if it's established that Clark worked through his emotional baggage and is better for it. And probably the same for Bruce, too. The end result being two heroes that can act rather than react because of their past.

But that won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised that Batman becomes Batman because of the events of Man of Steel.

I am not entertained.

What a desperate attempt to make money.

I'd prefer something like this over a rushed JL movie, though. Yeah, Marvel and Disney did that right, as mentioned here already, but DC and WB wanted to go straight there instead of building it up over years with great movies leading into it. At least this should be fun and could lead to a JL film.

A fight between Superman and Batman would be both awesome and a close call and could make for great action cinema.

EDIT: I would prefer a movie about The Question, if anything.

So...basically, they couldn't justify doing a sequel to Man of Steel, but they were too embarrassed to just not make one, so they're throwing in Batman?

I can't really see this movie being any good, since it's the sort of thing where the marketing campaign writes the movie, rather than someone actually setting out to make a good movie.

Man of Steel was the third best superhero movie ever so I am extremely excited for Snyder, Goyer and Nolan to continue the franchise.

KingWein22:
And the judge of the contest will be Wonder Woman.

Thats pretty kinky. I think Batman could only win if he got to use his utility belt and all his gadgets.

ClockworkUniverse:
So...basically, they couldn't justify doing a sequel to Man of Steel, but they were too embarrassed to just not make one, so they're throwing in Batman?

I can't really see this movie being any good, since it's the sort of thing where the marketing campaign writes the movie, rather than someone actually setting out to make a good movie.

Well Batman seems to be the only character DC can actually successfully move to the big screen, so I guess it makes sense.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Oh well, I enjoyed Man of Steel (seriously, stop whining about Superman killing someone. Who fucking cares, it made it interesting. Which is hard to do with the most boring "main" superhero of all freakin' time) and I am sure I will enjoy this next movie.

Who cares? Em the fans of Superman who don't consider him boring maybe. Him killing wasn't the main problem. The main problem is A) He totally didn't have to and B)Even if he did, he just kind of did it, let out a big "No" and then a jump cut to him dicking around with the military. Superman taking a life should be a big damn deal.

You can call him boring if you want but he's been around for 75 years, has a lot of fans and people who don't consider him boring. So no offense, but why the fuck should they make a Superman movie that appeals to non-fans, fucking with the core of the character when he's a hot enough property to sell as is?

Spot1990:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Who cares? Em the fans of Superman who don't consider him boring maybe. Him killing wasn't the main problem. The main problem is A) He totally didn't have to and B)Even if he did, he just kind of did it, let out a big "No" and then a jump cut to him dicking around with the military. Superman taking a life should be a big damn deal.

You can call him boring if you want but he's been around for 75 years, has a lot of fans and people who don't consider him boring. So no offense, but why the fuck should they make a Superman movie that appeals to non-fans, fucking with the core of the character when he's a hot enough property to sell as is?

Of course he didn't have to kill Zod. I assumed the point of the movie was showing that, even though he is basically Alien Jesus, he isn't perfect and makes mistakes just like everyone else.

Plus, why can't we have a separate "Movie Universe" compared to the Comic Universe? I didn't cry and pitch a fit when they had "Deadpool" in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I didn't scream and yell to the internet when they changed Batman in the Nolan Movies.

Might be cool. I liked the Batman movies, and the Superman one was alright. Could be interesting seeing them in the same movie, if it is handled correctly. If batman even proves to be slightly difficult for Superman to beat it'll be ridiculous.

Angry Joe made a video talking about this.

It's a bit long but he makes some really good points.

Make a bad Superman movie that is trying to turn the character into something he's not via hopping on the Batman grittiness train? What better thing to do then throw Batman in its sequel! :-D Brriiiillliant!

Is batman going to be green then? Nothing can face superman without kryptonite, right? Maybe all of his gadgets will have the stuff and his armour too.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Spot1990:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Of course he didn't have to kill Zod. I assumed the point of the movie was showing that, even though he is basically Alien Jesus, he isn't perfect and makes mistakes just like everyone else.

Plus, why can't we have a separate "Movie Universe" compared to the Comic Universe? I didn't cry and pitch a fit when they had "Deadpool" in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I didn't scream and yell to the internet when they changed Batman in the Nolan Movies.

You're assuming that POS had a point? Very generous of you. Considering Zack Snyder has never been able to find the point of any story he's trying to tell.

Good for you, and I'm not screaming and yelling either. Still hated the film. If you're going to misunderstand the character on a fundamental level, then just let someone else do it. The reason Marvel's movies are popular is they show respect to the source material and still manage to earn Disney billions. If they can make a Captain America movie, DC can make a Superman movie that's true in spirit to the source material.

Also, the quote to promote it was from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, which is godawful. I mean you clearly don't like Suerman, there's already a bunch of movies you can watch that don't have him in them (most films actually, he's in a very small number of the world's total film output) so why can't they just make a Superman film for people who, y'know, don't hate him?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here