Greenlight Goes On For 14 More Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Greenlight Goes On For 14 More Games

The latest round of Greenlighting will see 14 new games added to Steam, including the innovative horror game Among the Sleep and the Deadly Premonition director's cut.

Another day, another round of lights going green on Steam. Without further fuss, here's the list of the latest 14 titles to take the next big step toward fame and fortune:

Two software titles, Dexster Audio Editor and GraphicEditor openCanvas, also made the cut.

Hopefully there's something in that list that floats your boat. I'm happy to see Among the Sleep make it, of course, while my compadre Paul Goodman can barely contain his all-caps excitement for Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut. Project Awakened looks interesting if perhaps a bit over-ambitious - its $500,000 Kickstarter fell well short of goal - and while I'm not sure the world needs another remake of an old Half-Life shooter, I'll probably give Operation Black Mesa some attention too.

As always, getting the green light doesn't mean these games will be released anytime soon; each one will come out independently, in the weeks, months or possibly even years ahead, when they're ready to go.

Source: Steam

Good thing I voted for A Hat in Time. Everything I've seen about the game has been wonderful and then there's also the fact that Grant Kirkhope is doing a track for the game as well. :D
I've honestly never been excited about any kickstarter projects except for this one.

No shoutout at all about Divekick?

I'm happy to see Shelter is Greenlit, the world is sorely lacking in Badger simulators and if the badger cull goes on we might not see many of them around in real life any more. It looks kind of stylish too, in a PS2 graphics kind of way.

Awwwwwwwwww yeah, Deadly Premonition! :D

All you PC guys need to get all over that when it drops. It's...something else. Paul's all-caps enthusiasm is well-deserved.

So I have learned three things from this:
1. Being "survival horror" or pretentious artsy bullshit is the fastest way to get your game greenlit.
2. I'm the only person who wants a PC port of Shantae.
3. There are actual really humans who want to pay money for Divekick.
I'm not sure which of these makes me the most sad.

A Hat In Time absolutely deserved it. Some of these other games... I'm not so sure. Shelter certainly looks interesting, though; I'll keep an eye out for it. A bit disappointed Freedom Planet still isn't greenlit, but I'll live.

major_chaos:
1. Being "survival horror" or pretentious artsy bullshit is the fastest way to get your game greenlit.

I noticed this trend too. It hurts my sense of wanting to play games that have something good and new to offer.

major_chaos:

I hadn't seen this. Your comment inspired me to vote for it right away.

P.S. Thanks

major_chaos:

Nope. I do too. That and Mighty Switch Force, if it's as good as I've heard. WayFoward (and Capcom and Konami with certain titles) might make some additional money with a few PC ports of their DS/3DS games. The changes to the gameplay might be a little odd given it'll be one screen, but I think they'll have no problem figuring it all out.

major_chaos:

Though from what I gather the mainstream developed survival horror games have been really lacking in survival horror and leaning towards "scary action" games. So it only makes sense that smaller PC development comes to fill the niche. Same as how adventure games have been all but abandoned by the AAA scene and its left to indies to keep it going.

BROOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOORCE!!!

A game so manly that my girlfriend played 5 minutes of the alpha and suddenly grew a penis.

Nice to see A Hat in Time got greenlit.

Still waiting for Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Freedom Planet but hey, this is awesome.

Most excited for A Hat in Time!!!
Also, I'll probably LP Deadly Premonition just for being such a bad game :P

Nice to see I'm not the only person looking forward to Freedom Planet.

I'm really happy to see "A Hat in Time" on the list. I'll probably even break my usual wait for sales and pick it up. It's just so adorable...

thenumberthirteen:

Though from what I gather the mainstream developed survival horror games have been really lacking in survival horror and leaning towards "scary action" games. So it only makes sense that smaller PC development comes to fill the niche. Same as how adventure games have been all but abandoned by the AAA scene and its left to indies to keep it going.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against getting some real horror games (I convinced as many people as I could to buy Amnesia) but every batch of Greenlight games seems to have at least two.

Nice to see project awakened get through, that game deserves it. Lets hope they can get on early access and actually fund the game.

major_chaos:

Yes, because Broforce, Chasm, Recruits, Operation Black Mesa, A Hat in Time, Star Made, Operation: Awakening, and Divekick (which you mentioned in your post) are all survival horror or art games.

Kinda hard to justify this claim when the vast majority of games that have been Greenlit don't fit said claim at all.

major_chaos:

I'll give you this, though. You're not the only one, as I'd love to see that too.

I really don't like greenlight and wonder why it even exists in the state it's in. All it is now is just a popularity contest with only arty and/or "retro tribute" games being approved while actual games that people put their heart into have to keep giving Valve $100 just for another chance(I just realized, Greenlight is the War Z when it comes to this.). Then you have to make sure that totalbiscuit guy dosen't hate it and if he hates it, well, don't expect any sales.

Plus, if Mutant Mudds can't get greenlit even after the controversy surrounding the game being put on there through normal means then it has fucked up.

weird, i was under the impression Black Mesa was greenlighted ages ago.
is it actually up on steam as a "normal" install now ?

Sleekit:
weird, i was under the impression Black Mesa was greenlighted ages ago.
is it actually up on steam as a "normal" install now ?

The difference between Black Mesa and Operation Black Mesa is that Black Mesa is recreation of Half-Life, and Operation Black Mesa is a recreation of Gearbox's Opposing Force.

Deadly Premonition! WOOOO!!!!!! That is something to look forward to :P

Deadly Premonition makes it to steam?
They shall surely get all of my green!
So says Mister Stewart

SilkySkyKitten:

major_chaos:

Yes, because Broforce, Chasm, Recruits, Operation Black Mesa, A Hat in Time, Star Made, Operation: Awakening, and Divekick (which you mentioned in your post) are all survival horror or art games.

Kinda hard to justify this claim when the vast majority of games that have been Greenlit don't fit said claim at all.

major_chaos:

I'll give you this, though. You're not the only one, as I'd love to see that too.

Divekick was made to show that spamming one move can help you win. So technically, it is artsy.

So much of this just looks fantastic. Among The Sleep, Centration, Darkwood, Project Awakened, Shelter; they all look so interesting. I don't think I've ever really seen anything like Shelter before, and it looks amazing. Beautiful and surprisingly brutal for what it is. Centration is just the sort of idea that I love as well. Project Awakened certainly does look ambitious, ridiculously so, but I really hope it does well despite that, and that it works out into an excellent game. Christ I think i'm going to enjoy a lot of this.

Here I was hoping that The Dead Linger was going to make the cut. It's one of the games I backed the kickstarter of, and the alpha being on Steam would likely have helped them get more sales. Oh well.

weirdguy:

Divekick was a joke taken too far. I'll admit the game has a surprising amount of Meta for its concept... but still. A joke taken too far.

Fenra:
Deadly Premonition makes it to steam?
They shall surely get all of my green!
So says Mister Stewart

G... N... in the coffee.

Wonder what that means...

RatherDull:
Nice to see I'm not the only person looking forward to Freedom Planet.

I voted for it as soon as I saw it. It's one of the few I've cast a vote toward.

I'll echo the celebrations about A Hat in Time, it's been too long since I got to play a cute, silly 3D-platforming collect-a-thon.

And BROFORCE looks absolutely hilarious, if the videos the Yogscast did are anything to go by.

So happy to see Chasm make it though. That's just one great looking title. Also excited for Hat In Time and After the Sleep. Greenlight is a garbage system, but at least the good stuff does get through sometimes.

major_chaos:
So I have learned three things from this:
3. There are actual really humans who want to pay money for Divekick.
I'm not sure which of these makes me the most sad.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Kheapathic:

weirdguy:

Divekick was a joke taken too far. I'll admit the game has a surprising amount of Meta for its concept... but still. A joke taken too far.

Yeah, Divekick, It should be some free flash game.

I'm actually ok with joke concepts taken to a full game, Surgeon Simulator is actually pretty good even though it started as some kind of spiritual sequel to QWOP. But Divekick seems so shallow game play wise it should not be paid for.

But still, A Hat in Time, glad it got on.

Yes, Among The Sleep made it, so glad I backed them, the Alpha was amazing, can't wait to see the final game.

Edit: Dive Kick? Is that garbage a joke? Looks like a flash game from Newgrounds.

I'm glad I voted for Darkwood, Starmade and Among the Sleep.

shrekfan246:

I'll echo the celebrations about A Hat in Time, it's been too long since I got to play a cute, silly 3D-platforming collect-a-thon.

There don't seem to be many collectathon games anymore that echo like how it was back in the N64 days. I mean the only thing really close to a collectathon with freedom like A Hat in Time nowadays are the Zelda games. I'm honestly really excited for the game, especially since Grant Kirkhope is doing some of the music for the game. :D

Glad to see BROFORCE up there.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or