BioWare Artist Reveals Early Mass Effect, Dragon Age Art and Ideas

Pages PREV 1 2

Is that a Quarian in the first picture? Sure looks like one.

Pretty interesting concept art if I must say so myself.

PBMcNair:

Dragonbums:

That's not fair.
game restrictions play a lot into how the aliens have to be designed.

For instance, Turians are supposed to have longer arms (that reach a bit above the knees instead of mid thighs like humans.) however due to the fact it would cause coding glitches with the human base bone structures and actions and that it would take far too long for coders to make an "alien" bone base with each individual action, they have to resort to conforming some aspects of design to the human base. Adding only a few adjustments to the overall physique here and there.
I bet you the Yahg and the Salarians were pushing it.

That's true, but I would have thought they could have made alterations in the sequels. It might look odd, but that didn't stop them in dragon age 2.

No matter how much I wanted it to.

I haven't played Dragon Age yet so I can't really compare.
However I would assume they are both have different teams (with some overlap of course) and whoever was in charge of DA decided that they were going to take the plunge.
I guess swords and arrows are easier to manage than guns.

Dragonbums:

AJey:
Mass Effect could of had much better alien designs. This game has some of the most boring aliens in alien history, I would say. No originality or creativity, just re-skinned humans, that's all. Hopefully they will learn from it.

That's not fair.

For instance, Turians are supposed to have longer arms (that reach a bit above the knees instead of mid thighs like humans.) however due to the fact it would cause coding glitches with the human base bone structures and actions and that it would take far too long for coders to make an "alien" bone base with each individual action, they have to resort to conforming some aspects of design to the human base. Adding only a few adjustments to the overall physique here and there.

Sure, I have no doubt that there were plenty of technical restrictions, but the problem still remains - wherever you look nowadays, whether it be comic books, movies, books or games, aliens are mostly humanoid. As a sci-fi writer, it makes me rather sad, since I love the concept of alien life. Evolutionary routes that life forms could have taken on other planets are endless, yet for some odd reason we stick to our own liking. Shame.

AJey:

Dragonbums:

AJey:
Mass Effect could of had much better alien designs. This game has some of the most boring aliens in alien history, I would say. No originality or creativity, just re-skinned humans, that's all. Hopefully they will learn from it.

That's not fair.

Sure, I have no doubt that there were plenty of technical restrictions, but the problem still remains - wherever you look nowadays, whether it be comic books, movies, books or games, aliens are mostly humanoid. As a sci-fi writer, it makes me rather sad, since I love the concept of alien life. Evolutionary routes that life forms could have taken on other planets are endless, yet for some odd reason we stick to our own liking. Shame.

Primarily because they're the most relatable. I mean if all the races were Hanar or Elcor levels of inhuman it would be a logistical nightmare to code and every character with a gun would end up being human.

Is that last one Tali?
<.<
>.>
I'd still romance the hell out of her. Too bad we got lazy slap=dash super human photoshop instead.

I really wish they would have made Tali look like that. I never did like her character and didn't care for the quarians either. If I had known that is what they really looked like then I would have probably let the geth destroy them much sooner than my second playthrough.

Captcha: you can do this

I did do this, captcha. Second playthrough renegade female shephard, the quarians got what they deserved.

Normandy Personified reminds me of Midna, and that is never a bad thing. I'd love to see the broken Citadel in the next Mass Effect game, somewhere, because it's a beautiful scene, and would make a wonderful overtaken habitat, much like sunken ships do for coral and the myriad of sea-dwellers that have since reclaimed it.

They forgot one

Gonna be honest, I would have loved this guy's version of Tali, except I think going with the version that had hair would be the right move. Not because I want her to be more attractive or whatever, I'm just tired of the fact that apparently humans are the ONLY species to actually have it in the ME universe. Also, I just fucking like hair and hairdo's, they're a fun little quirk that everyone has when it comes to design in games or real life, and I wish games would try to do more with giving more options for it.

Random head-follicle tangent aside, I honestly wasn't a fan of a lot of the early ME stuff, but I wish to god that DA2 looked more like this guy's artwork. And honestly, if it wasn't the rushed game it is, it probably would've. Which makes me sad. Though the reasoning for the darkspawn redesign, which I was originally a little iffy on, makes me like the new models a bit more now. Trying to portray the Taint as a mind rotting sickness that you can actually, as opposed to just being "Orcs, but not Orcs" is a great move. More power to 'em.

soren7550:
Wait, is that Kai Leng?

And what's that he's holding? Is it... a toothbrush?!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES CHILDREN! HIDE THE CEREAL, KAI LENG HAS A TOOTHBRUSH!!

Shepard actually. One of the plans was to go full circle. Would have actually been better. At the final arc, you gone full circle and have become what you stopped in the first game.

Magenera:

soren7550:
Wait, is that Kai Leng?

And what's that he's holding? Is it... a toothbrush?!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES CHILDREN! HIDE THE CEREAL, KAI LENG HAS A TOOTHBRUSH!!

Shepard actually. One of the plans was to go full circle. Would have actually been better. At the final arc, you gone full circle and have become what you stopped in the first game.

But it looks like Shep is on the right, and a toothbrush isn't Shep's weapon of choice. Also, manShep can't have long hair.

Whatev, was just trying to make a funny by shitting all over the second worst thing to come out of the Mass Effect series, and you had to poop on it.

Why yes I am sleepy and thus not very coherent, why do you ask?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here