Call of Duty Developer Gets Death Threats After New Patch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Realitycrash:

So have I. I've been threatened and abused mostly my entire life. I still don't see why I can't get worked up and call for these assholes to be banned from their game. Telling people to 'grow a spine' is unnecessarily inflammatory.

If you have problems with my opinion, you should probably take it to the mods, I guess. Because that IS my opinion, that we're heading towards a culture that seeks punishment and censorship and values them more than education. Hence why people should grow a spine.

I feel like the dev should be mature enough to handle anything thrown his way, especially on the internet.

You can get worked up if you want to, of course. Telling you that you shouldn't do it doesn't mean I'm holding you back from doing it.

"THEY CAN TAKE OUR $60 EVERY NOVEMBER

BUT THEY WILL NEVER TAKE OUR DSR FIRERATE!

Death to the oppresive developers! They're too noob and gay and can't 420noscopeladderstallheadshot!

Are you going to sit there and let the bunnyhoppers and buttmad snipers win,

or are you going to join me and our assault rifle entourage!?

Men! Children! To Twitter!

Also I fucked their mom."

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why the number of dipshits on the internet seem to outnumber the dipshits in real life. These are all people, and they can't seriously think that this is okay. Then I remember people like the Wesboro Church and the KKK and Stormfront and I give up.

But I agree, as some have said before, this is not exactly a rare occurrence. Granted, this is a gaming website so it tends to cover such instances in their relation to the industry, but this isn't even a particularly horrendous example. Good on the execs though for responding with dignity, which is all you can really do. I'm pretty confident that this is just a type of people whose knee-jerk reaction is to rage and type death threats rather than really think about anything that's being said. Doubtful any of them actually noticed the changes, they just read that some of their stuff was being nerfed and got angry.

We can try to shout them down, but I won't hold my breath for a success. These people can shout back forever and never change their stance, at least some of them, and even if some of them calm down after the core of the problem won't be solved. Short of policing the entire internet I don't know how to prevent stuff like this, and no one had better start that. Forums like these have moderators where such people can be warned and banned, but in open and unmoderated places like Twitter there's really no way, short of ignoring it. We should all just try harder to make this pass, and not take these threats seriously. It will keep happening regardless of what we do.

Of course, shouting back can be fun from time to time.

i bet it was an 8 year old that threatened him too. since you know, incredibly under aged boys play COD (an incredibly violent swear bucket filled bloody glory war game) more than older teens/adults that the game is actually meant for.

i find this incredibly disturbing. i wonder if WoW gets this treatment when they nerf stuff too? well, that game is alot more tame so, i wouldnt think so.

<3 the metagame.

Unless these guys are losing money over this (which I doubt they are), they're just being whiny bitches because their K/D has just dropped from 5.21 to 5.19. I'm so sad that your combat record is slightly less shiny than usual.

Call of Duty is pretty well known for getting someone killed in a fraction of a second. So... as much as I don't agree with the haters, I can see where losing those fractions on your favorite gun can make you sadface:(

erttheking:
*Sigh* how come the most obnoxious immature ones make the most noise?

Because noise is linked with immaturity and being obnoxious.

evilcorgi:

Kheapathic:
Nothing really new, this is the internet being the internet.

Captcha: orange juice

Why yes, I think I'll go have some. Something to cool all this seething rage.

Exactly what I was thinking. People are told to kill themselves/threatened all the time for things less "important" than this. Dunno why it's more important if it's a game dev instead of some furry or neckbeard being threatened.

Because this is a gaming website, the person in question is a developer for one of the most sold game series ever, and the reasons for the threat and his response have stuff to do with the community.

And sadly this is why I am done playing FPS that revolve around multiplayer. The games could be fun. But I am not great at them and the communities in general are awful. I am so so so tired of people "HIDING" behind their avatars and believing they are the king of everything.

gmaverick019:
well, when you appeal to a certain crowd for years.... -_-

granted, i've gotten enough death threats through jobs/internet that i don't even bat an eye anymore, but really, if i was a seller of steroids to huge fuckheads, and i got upset that there were dude bro's fighting in front of the shop, i'd expect to be called a fucking idiot for not seeing that coming.

i do agree that it shouldn't be common place for that to happen, hopefully the dumbshits who do this got suspended or something off the games for a while.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. It is definitely unacceptable behavior but they did make their own bed by catering to these types of personalities to the point that they created their own category of douchebaggery in the CoD kiddies.

Fortunately for them, most of the trolls are going to have a hard time convincing mom to fire up the minivan and drive them out to his location.

Zachary Amaranth:

shirkbot:

They're just lucky that the Treyarch guys are being so chill about it. Still though, it would be nice if they'd just learn to chill out themselves. It's a video game, and a multiplayer one at that. Be angry at the players, not the developers.

Treyarch probably isn't worried because he knows those quick scoping noobs can't hit anything without aim assist. >.>

But seriously, it's nice that they're simply saying "not cool" and their attitude really should be followed.

If that's the case they really should see this.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/
Be afraid people, be very afraid, CoD noobs just invaded the real world.
Now if only they could work out the safety, we'd all be dead.

People that make murder simulators had best watch out what they do to their murder simulators because the people they're fucking with play murder simulators.

[EDI]That was a joke[/EDI]

God, if they ever started playing League, Riot HQ would be in flames by the end of the month...

I mean them justifying an under a second change to a gun is apparently worth more hate than "Hi, i'm Phreak and in this video i'm going systematically break down why we nerfed the fuck out of Olaf so he's now totally unviable."

They even admitted they went too far... Buff already pls

Fuck is COD even supposed to be balanced seriously? Remember the double Models in MW2? Best thing EVER!

I miss MW2... It was so batshit broken and new glitches were found every other month it was endearing, charming and fun as hell. Every other COD game is just boring in comparison. Seriously, remember when you could get infinite Care Packages and you had just both teams spamming the FUCK out of them? You could run really, really fast if you equipped a Care Package because you're not loaded down by a gun which spawned the Marathon + Commando + Care Package knife hilarity? The rapid fire AC130? The glitch that made your gun have no reload?

Fuck that game was great.

Really?

They thought that the DSR shot too fast?

Scars Unseen:
People that make murder simulators had best watch out what they do to their murder simulators because the people they're fucking with play murder simulators.

You sound like Fox news, I thought the Escapist kind of agreed that this was a stupid irrational way of thinking.

Oboy. I would bet that the Bioware forums would be much more lively if any of these CoD chaps took to ME 3's multiplayer.
Maybe it is a good thing that very few of them actually did...

In my experience most hard core CoD players are total wankeres, so why should i give a shit about the opinion of toss pots with no social skills apart from blowing stuff up in an unceasing, futile war on there television screens.
Teases people are a cancer that needs to be purged from gaming.

JoesshittyOs:

Scars Unseen:

You sound like Fox news, I thought the Escapist kind of agreed that this was a stupid irrational way of thinking.

If the excessive tautology wasn't a blaring siren that I wasn't being serious, then I apologize. For your benefit, I shall now end my joking posts as follows:

[EDI]That was a joke.[/EDI]

The Wykydtron:
God, if they ever started playing League, Riot HQ would be in flames by the end of the month...

I mean them justifying an under a second change to a gun is apparently worth more hate than "Hi, i'm Phreak and in this video i'm going systematically break down why we nerfed the fuck out of Olaf so he's now totally unviable."

They even admitted they went too far... Buff already pls

Fuck is COD even supposed to be balanced seriously? Remember the double Models in MW2? Best thing EVER!

I miss MW2... It was so batshit broken and new glitches were found every other month it was endearing, charming and fun as hell. Every other COD game is just boring in comparison. Seriously, remember when you could get infinite Care Packages and you had just both teams spamming the FUCK out of them? You could run really, really fast if you equipped a Care Package because you're not loaded down by a gun which spawned the Marathon + Commando + Care Package knife hilarity? The rapid fire AC130? The glitch that made your gun have no reload?

Fuck that game was great.

back in the days of MW2 I agree were fun as fuck like the akimbo winchesters with people running around diving and shooting one another or the Javelin glitch where you randomly got hit by a rocket from the sky from nowhere.

I miss the days of MW2 compared to now that I haven't played BLOPS in ages and stayed well away from 2.

CardinalPiggles:
Wow, these people need an angry dome or something. The problem with instant messaging everyone: No time to think about what you're saying before you frickin say it.

There's plenty of time. These people simply lack a properly functioning maturity filter (or just lack maturity, period). Being able to quickly think about what you are saying before you say it (and be able to recognize when you are about to say something silly or inappropriate such to censor yourself) is a skill just like any other. I would guess these people have grown up just blurting out whatever is on their minds, constantly chittering away like chipmunks; so, they've just never learned to take the time to think about what is being said before uttering it. In other words, they have no self-control or self-restraint (same is often true of 5-year-olds). However, this does not excuse their actions in the slightest.

Kudos to the company stepping in an laying down the law. I'm pretty sure that everything that the company said is what most of the responsible gamers today think.

MeChaNiZ3D:
The only news here is that people consider death threats on the internet to be worth anything anymore. Sure, they're immature fuckwits, but death threats are the new dirty look. It's not like anyone is actually going to carry it out.

Thoralata:

erttheking:
*Sigh* how come the most obnoxious immature ones make the most noise?

Because the mature gamers are content to bury their heads in the sand and give bullshit excuses like "This is the Internet" or "Free Speech hurr durr"

Instead of taking the route of being louder by shouting "SHUT UP" to these obnoxious asswipes.

How is it burying one's head in the sand, or a bullshit excuse, to suggest that they can say whatever they want? And more importantly, how are the two approaches mutually exclusive? Shouting "shut up" is the just response to someone saying something stupid, even for people who will defend that peron's right to say stupid things, that's why free speech works. People can say whatever they want, then they get judged and responded to by other people saying whatever they want. Saying that you support someone's right to make a death threat doesn't mean you don't think they're idiots for doing so, and it certainly doesn't mean you don't tell them they're idiots whenever you see it.

It's a bullshit excuse because you also have the right to say what you want, and instead of countering abuse you go "Meh, free country," and move on instead of trying to enact some good.

Not that surprised really. Gamers are the most immature, uncaring, and unsophisticated consumers of media, ever. For every one guy who would be considered "mature", there are at least two hundred slobs who would gladly take his place in the "let's murder his family" crowd. And for everyone saying "this is just a vocal minority", it's not. True, a vocal minority of people are attacking the guy. But any time a patch nerfs something, or makes something more powerful, the majority of players notice and the majority are beyond insulting. They offer up "Whoever came up with this idea should be shot", or "fuck this new patch, they made their game unplayable and whoever thought of it should be fired". I'm surprised developers and publishers even listen to their audience at all when it comes to games. I feel bad for Vonderhaar, no one should have that thrown at them. Better luck next tweet, but it's the CoD crowd, so I'd prepare for more slander.

Zachary Amaranth:

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of the butthurt folks are threatening to leave and go back to Modern Warfare 3. To which I say: I can't wait for my finger to get better and play in the new, improved Blops 2 community!

That actually does make me feel better. If only I could believe they were telling the truth. :(

Silverbeard:
Oboy. I would bet that the Bioware forums would be much more lively if any of these CoD chaps took to ME 3's multiplayer.
Maybe it is a good thing that very few of them actually did...

Yes, the BioWare fanbase is much more contemplative and respectful...just ask Jennifer Hepler.

Ah, touché. I stand corrected and somewhat dismayed to realize that the threatening folk are not exclusive to CoD.

I'd be frustrated that people are just now realizing how dumb and destructive this kind of thing is, but at least it's something.

Of course, Dragon Age 3 is just around the corner, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Wow I thought this was going to be someone adding a DLC where you curb stomp babies or something, but NOPE, patches that nerf guns.

For fuck sake internet, I mean they deserve to get death threats for creating Call Of Duty games in the first place but this is retarded.

WanderingFool:
Wow... I just finally got my 360 fixed, and have yet to start playing Blops 2 again (need Gold first) but... now im not sure I want to be associated with this shit... I mean seriously... We're going to kill someone over fractions of a second? The Fuck!?

I know, right? Even your avatar is shocked.

I don't play multiplayer games, so I don't see stuff like this too often. Thank goodness.

It's a balance patch. Deal with it. Don't cry just because your gun isn't OP anymore.

That said it's hard to describe the call of duty fan-base as a 'community'. I think it's a problem with a lot of big budget console games (some more than others) that the fans feel locked-out of interfacing with the experience. I think if we some some way to take control of sever settings or some semblance of a community content outlet it might be a little more healthy.

As it is most games games are mainly "We give you this. 100% of people will have the exact same experience. Want to customize/ add to that? Too bad!". De-homogenizing things just a little on an optional level is a good idea especially since consoles seem to be saying "We're PCs now" but are unwilling to implement the main advantages of actual PC gaming.

Well done guys, Your why we can't have nice things.

Snipers, man! Fucking snipers! They've always gotta ruin shit for everybody. I don't even... Understand how these people operate in the real world.

I applaud the CoD guys for keeping their cool, though.

EDIT: I wonder if this'll stop them pandering to those guys in the future... Or pander more.

So it's the game's own PLAYERS who want the developer to die horribly? Why did I think it was actual terrorists telling that guy to die in a fire?
Well, I'd say this sounds like a case of reaping what you sow, but when one of the publishers tells the loudest, most obnoxious segment of their customers to shut the hell up, they really screwed up.

Metalrocks:
i see. poor kiddies cant do the usual camping with their anyway over powered weapons. good thing i dint touch this game. already lost my nerves with MW3 when everyone was using the fagkimos and aimbot.
i stick with my BF3, at least their i havent come across a cheater or that some weapons are over powered.

Haven't been killed by explosive grenade rounds from the shotgun much have you? I was. A lot. That's the most overpowered weapon I have ever come across in my gaming experience.

Well then, this is an excellent reason why I do not associate with CoD in any means past MW1. Too many whiny kids and adults flapping their gums over trivial crap.

The Rogue Wolf:
Changes involving fractions of a second made to make-believe guns in a video game rate death threats, now?

These people must have their heads so far up their asses that they can see out their own nostrils.

Upbeat Zombie:
I would of been happy if they were able to ban the people making such comments. The games would be better off without people like that.

You have NO IDEA how much I would love to see that. "You want something to get upset about?" BANHAMMER

And seriously, considering the guy who faced eight years of jail for one dumb comment in League of Legends, you'd think these rageheads would think twice before tossing off death threats.

You'd be right, but ragers have a distinct deficit in rationality. Life is just so much easier when you can turn internal metrics in a game about shooting guns into some sort of personal fulcrum your life rests on. Life *has* to be loads more easier when you think you're entitled to your own personal standards to such an extent that threatening the developer feels like a valid tactic.

There's only one solution I've found to fix their problem - and that's avoiding VoIP as well as any and all PMs or message board posts coming from ragers that still have a bone to pick about me.

The proverbial Mute Button. That fixes everything. Drop an asshat in an environment where his seething bile receives no validation and he'll naturally be forced to switch tactics over time - if he doesn't just sulk away sullenly.

I think everyone needs to keep something in perspective here; the only other people who the reporters hear of who dish out death threats are radical, hateful groups. In the real world, sending a death threat is a serious issue and the people who typically report on these still haven't wrapped their minds around the very casual language present in the online world.

That being said, people have been killed for stupider reasons. There are many, many idiotic people in this world who would kill someone over the most trivial things and the internet has only given those people an increased access to things that would make them violent. It's safer to react to these threats than assume they're made by harmless idiots and not bloodthirsty idiots.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here