Dragon Age Inquisition Will "Absolutely" Be Affected by Previous Choices

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age Inquisition Will "Absolutely" Be Affected by Previous Choices

Dragon Age Inquisition high res screen

Dragon Age Inquisition will know what you did in the earlier games - one way or another - and those decisions will matter.

You still have your old save files from Dragon Age: Origins, right? If so, you can look forward to seeing a few nods to the Grey Warden's actions in the upcoming third entry to the series, Dragon Age Inquisition. Like the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age changes based on your decisions in previous games, though some have wondered if that will be possible when Inquisition moves on to the next generation of consoles. The answer from BioWare is a firm "yes" - but nobody's willing to say more just yet.

A fan at PAX Australia asked BioWare producer Cameron Lee how the game would handle choices that players made on current-gen consoles. "We know what we want to do," Cameron answered. "It will absolutely come across - your decisions carry [and] will matter."

These types of save importing systems have always been tricky when dealing with players starting the series in the middle, or moving to a new platform between games. BioWare acknowledges this concern, and even though all lips are sealed at the moment, there appears to be a plan. "The goal is that you can have an equally rich experience no matter which platform you're playing on," says writer Patrick Weekes.

This could mean a direct save import, or a multiple-choice history lesson like we saw in Mass Effect 2's opening. Either way, BioWare is aware of its fans' high expectations, and seems to be doing its best to deliver.

Source: Eurogamer

Well, good on them for that I guess. Though I don't really see how that's possible if you get it on the PS4 or the Xbone. the PC seems the most likely console to benefit from it and keep up to the highest fidelity. The PS3/360, you can play it but cutting edge graphics? not so much. Will they have some sort of extensive questionnaire for those who get it on the next generation?

Too bad there is no way I'll ever touch my 360 again so it's a moot point for me.

If you actually bought Dragon Age 2 and import a save file your characters IQ drops 20 points.

Sadly I am one of the idiots that did buy a copy so making a retarded mage will be fun.

There you go, making your promises again.

I wonder what the effect will be of skipping DA2?

I don't care. I've never really cared. All this save importing stuff is nice and all but I'd prefer you actually make a decent game. Don't homogenize it all to cover every possible choice.

I wonder what color lasers I'll be able to shoot into the Fade

I always question the wisdom of spending a ton of cash making game X, and then requiring your customers to have already played all the previous titles in the series AND kept their saves in order to get the most out of the new one.

It just seems like a rather large presumption that you'd have a big enough group of people that are that invested in the series, especially in DA's case where a substantial portion hated DA2.

I know you can just as easily skip into the new game having not played the others, but if thats the case...then your previous choices by definition can't have amounted to jack in the grand scheme.

Imagine if Elder scrolls did that. Depending on how you handled the civil war in Skyrim the game set hundreds of years later would be totally different. No sane dev would undertake such a nightmare of a game. So while your choices may matter, they will only matter in the slightest degree probably.

Like the choice to kill Leliana n Dragon Age Origins mattered for Dragon Age 2?

Oh here we go with the DA2 whining again.

Here we go.

Strapping in.

Woofuckinghoo.

And good. I mean, what else would they do exactly? That's what their studio is known for. I'd be confused if the choices didn't matter at all. Now their claim for "significant" impact is something to be examined when the game is out.

So you mean this time Leliana will stay dead?

Or are you talking out of your arse again?

EDIT: Just remembered...

I vaguely remember you guys claiming the same thing for DA2. How'd THAT work out for ya? *cough*Leliana*cough*

1337mokro:
If you actually bought Dragon Age 2 and import a save file your characters IQ drops 20 points.

Sadly I am one of the idiots that did buy a copy so making a retarded mage will be fun.

I THINK this was supposed to be a dig at Dragon Age 2, but I honestly cant tell.

OT: Oh jesus, drop it, stop trying to be mass effect. Just go with your own canon so we don't have to deal with the calls of "RETCON!"

Bleidd Whitefalcon:
I vaguely remember you guys claiming the same thing for DA2. How'd THAT work out for ya? *cough*Leliana*cough*

I never actually played through DA2 long enough to see that. Now I'm kind of glad I stayed far away from it. A shame too, DA:O was so good.

Inquisition will have to try fairly hard to make me want to play it.

Bioware has a bad track record when it comes to keeping promises regarding our choices.
Of course, they could do what they did in Space Wizards and have your choices only superficially matter.
You killed the architect? His followers continued doing the stuff he was doing, so there will be more talking darkspawn either way.
You smashed the Anvil of the Void? They figured out a new way to make golems.
Your choices will matter, but they won't.

I have a feeling this guarantees you're past choices won;t matter very much.

Sure, we all totally forgot what happened last time you uttered those words...

Luckily I'm over the loss of Bioware now, Dragon Age: Origins was the last game from the real company now whoever is wearing it's skin can just stay the fuck away from me.

Fool me once (ME3) shame on you, Fool me twice (DA:INQ) shame on me.

Dascuro:

I take it you never played ME2 then? Emails for after-effects FTW! >.>

Considering the only characters I killed were either Unimportant or named Logain or Anders, But I'm surprised that the Chantry doesn't kneel before my PCs because of how much of a nice guy I always am. the most morally questionable thing I do is support the plans of my mages outside the circle who aren't Anders, because Merrill is an amazing character and gaining the friendship of Fenris and Love of Merrill is a chore unto itself. So I doubt For the adventures of Chronos the City Elf Warden and Prometheus Hawke The Mage Hero Kirkwall needs not the one it deserves

mad825:

Dascuro:

Don't forget Dragon Age 2!

I'm actually kind of hoping that they're lying again. I don't really want to have to go and play through DAO three more times to get all the different state permuations I want.

Or they could make a thorough world state-editor for DAI...but that might hurt the sales of their older games, I guess. Can't have less people buying DA2!

So... now it's official isn't it? Dragon Age IS Medieval Fantasy Mass Effect, Hope it doesn't end the same way (hurr hurr)

mad825:

Dascuro:

And thats where you would be wrong, cause I did played Mass Effect 2 but that only add to the shame, they had it going well 2 games in a row, things mattered from ME to ME2, all was there for ME3 to be, well not what it ended up been.

I like how people still have faith in Bioware and EA. This is shaping up to be a giant piece of shit. Let's not pretend it's not and have another DA2/ME3 situation on our hands.

Ah yes.... "choices"

If you know what I mean.

My bet's on this being little more than the occasional overheard comments along the lines of "Things haven't been the same since THE WARDEN [KILLED/TOOK PITY ON] that mage tower." "I know, right? Just like that time they [KILLED/TOOK PITY ON] that possessed kid whasisname."

DVS BSTrD:
I wonder what the effect will be of skipping DA2?

Certain characters will have a boosted "Innocence" stat, act surprised when more mooks zone in from the aether and respond less well to button-mashing in combat.

Call me overly optimistic, but I'd like to think that after the giant clusterfuck and backlash over what was done with Mass Effect 3, BioWare is actually going to try a lot harder to respect the choices made in previous games and have those choices matter and actually shape the narrative and not just get abandoned in the third act of the game. People keep using the Leliana thing but, well, that was actually kind of/sort of explained.

In 'Asunder', as well as Dragon Age 2 (and, rumor has it, Inquisition), it's hinted that if you killed Leliana you *killed* Leliana; e.g. that shit happened. However she is restored to life by some unknown means. Magical, Divine, that's not clear. In point of fact if you killed her she may not be 100% Leliana anymore. Think Starbuck after she "died" in Battlestar Galactica.

Gaider decided that she was important to the narrative so she makes a return; that doesn't mean the choice to kill Leliana wasn't respected per say. Also I found that *all* my choices from Origins were reflected well in Dragon Age 2. I'm sorry that some people just can't get around something as banal as "I want that character to stay dead!" even if said character being alive is rationalized to even a minor extent.

Anyway, as to how they'll do it? Well, if it's going to work across all platforms there's really only two ways I can see them doing it for consoles; basically you'll have the option to save to the cloud (which both PS3 and 360 have access to at present) and both the Xbox One and PS4 will be able to scan your save files there, or you'll be given the ability to chose major plot events as you *somewhat* were able to with Dragon Age 2 where you could chose if the Warden survived, etc.

Well time to start working on my perfect DA:O and DA2 play throughs.

I would imagine the easiest way to do it across platform would simply be to have an online hub where you basically upload your save files with your current console of choice and then download a story choices file to your new console. This would even allow for taking choices from, say, a 360 DA1/2 file into a PS4 DA3 game.

Who wants to bet Bioware's idea of making the choices of the previous games matter will just be some 5 minute references to the events of the previous games or something else just as arbitrary and meaningless, not even a sidequest or 2 dedicated to the player's choices?

MCerberus:
I wonder what color lasers I'll be able to shoot into the Fade

PURPLE? WILL IT BE PURPLE? OH I HOPE IT'S PURPLE!

on a side note, I hope they do make the choices matter more than they did in the previous game, but i'm going to have to play through DA2 again on PS3 to be able to import.

It feels really really weird to be reading this while also still liking Bioware. Come on guys, DAII was good. Not origins good, but good. Can't speak for ME3, since I only got that a little while ago, and haven't got to playing it yet, but still, hopeful for DA:I.
edit: This meaning the forum.

They said the same about Mass Effect 3. They fooled me once. I won't let it happen again.

As far as I'm concerned there is no Dragon Age 2 or Dragon Age 3. Origins had a perfect ending. I'll just leave it at that and save myself the money and trouble of playing another shitty Bioware sequel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here