Torchlight 2 Sells More Than 2 Million Copies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Torchlight 2 Sells More Than 2 Million Copies

torchlight 2 loot

That's a lot of loot.

When it came out in 2009, Runic Game's Torchlight was a surprise hit. The hacking and the slashing felt suitably frictionless, allowing players to lean back and let the loot and XP roll in. While it took a few years to engineer the sequel, Torchlight 2's enhancements have gone over pretty well. It took only four months for Torchlight 2 to sell its first million. Now ten months later, Runic Games tweets that the PC-only title has sold over 2 million copies.

While the original Torchlight was released on PC, Mac, and XBLA, the sequel has remained in the familiar PC territory so far, with only a Mac port on the way. Since its launch last September, the action RPG has also been updated with Steam Workshop support and an official mod tool to go along with it.

The Escapist's Mike Kayatta liked Torchlight 2 enough to call it a bargain "even at three times its $20 price." While was reviewed pretty well on its own terms, not having to deal with any server issues or cash shops likely helped. Even so, when we last heard, the big demon in the room was getting 2.1 million players logging in daily.

Meanwhile, I'm imagining the plights of millions of pets, trundling back and forth to town to sell their owner's wares. The true heros of Torchlight truly are the pets.

Source: Twitter

It really is a good game. I just happened to finish the story quests earlier today and there is still more to do! I also have to parrot how much of a bargain the game is considering what you get for your money, it's by no means a lazily produced affair. Plus it has ferrets and headcrabs as pets :D The ferrets have little hats!

See. So cute!

I was just about to comment on how awesome it is that they sold so many copies, but then I had this weird deja vu that lasted for an entire minute. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway, I still play Torchlight 2 from time to time. It's a lot of fun. Hopefully there will be another one. With a bigger budget they can make it even better.

I never liked Torchlight 2 very much for a number of reasons. Almost all of them related to design choices they made. Despite that, I am glad they are doing well.

Great to hear one of my favorite games is doing so well! It probably helps that Steam advertises this game out the wazoo, especially during their big sales. Still, how is it that this game has sold so many copies, but I still have no one to do the campaign with?

I'm really happy that Torchlight 2 is doing very well

o.0 wait, wot? it's just now hitting 2 million? I thought it did that a while ago

That's pretty cool, I wonder if they are going to add more to it, the last patch with the lvl 101 item sets was awesome.

I loved Torchlight 2 but probably overdid it somewhat - burned myself out on it in a matter of a few months and am scared to pick it up again since I derped my save backups and lost a fair whack of progress.

Still, fabulous game, well-deserved success.

I loved this game so much when I picked it up off of a Steam sale. I ended up buying 2 copies, and I talked about 4 others into buying it too.

My Embermage is called Ammy and she has a pet ferret called Issun.

Because I'm fucking awesome, that's why.

A brilliant game that not enough people give credit to, just writing it off as a poor mans Diablo.
This game was better in every way than Diablo 3, beat both of them and was quite angry that for 60 bucks my 3 friends and I had far more fun through the game than the $240 that was spent on Diablo 3

Glad to hear they've seen a boom in sales again. The more people that become aware of this fantastic title the better.

Especially when one considers that Diablo 3 soured many players taste for top-down arpgs.

That said: Where the hell is the Mac version Runic?! I have three friends who're still waiting to play the game proper. As in, not having to load up with Bootcamp.

Still, at least they released that amazingly robust mod launcher. The community has already started churning out some fairly good content.

I bought it during the sale. Still haven't really started on it.

But I know which pet I'll use every time.

Look how god damn cute that is

CriticalMiss:
snip

Easton Dark:
snip

it was miss quoted in the original artical and you have miss quoted it again here.

it was not 2.1 mil players logging in daily it was an average of 2.1 mil players a day over the whole life of the game up to that point.

And the mods man, the mods. This game was worth every penny I spent on it. *shifts eyes back and forth* that is to say I got it in the sale, but now I wish I'd payed full price. (I recommend this game to my friends and my siblings, I do my part!)

Still I got D3 for free in my yearly WoW sub which I was gonna play anyway, and torchlight 2 for pocket change. Of the two, the one I paid for with pocket change grabbed me the most, the cartoony visuals, the pet system, no having to log on (can if you want) no shitty auction house, and the mods oh man, the mods...

I luff my pet stag, I haff no pet in D3 and that is why it fails. Yep, only reason.
See I have pets in WoW, That's why I still play it. XD (no not really but the correlation didn't fail to make me giggle in my head)

A fun and colourful game, I wish them all the best. Still haven't finished myself, but every time I want to stop the game urges me to go loot some more. :)

How have they only just now reached the two million mark? The game is available for $5 on Steam every other week.

I can't help but think that the general view of TL2 is somewhat biased by the Diablo 3 fiasco.

Comparatively, TL2 is a good game, but it's not all the fun really.

Maybe it's better when you play it with friends? But then again, what isn't?

I dunno. I beat the first real boss, and just thought it wasn't worth my time.

I love Torchlight. I loved Fate, it's spiritual predecessor. I'm glad/hope they do well with this game. I love how mod friendly it is too. Torchlight 1 had a lot of class mods to keep me playing longer than I thought I would, I hope now Torchlight 2 has the same.

I hope they continue to make this a success and improve on it even further.

rodneyy:
it was miss quoted in the original artical and you have miss quoted it again here.

it was not 2.1 mil players logging in daily it was an average of 2.1 mil players a day over the whole life of the game up to that point.

The actual number per day is roughly 1 million players with around 3 million unique players per month. Not 2.1 million, sure, but that's still decently impressive.

For an odd reference, the average number of users on Steam per day is somewhere around 4 million. That's anyone on Steam in any game that uses Steam, but doesn't count offline players obviously.

edit -

On topic! Kudos to them. Torchlight 2 was extremely obnoxious to me and I really couldn't get into it compared to D3, but I'm never one to wish bad things upon good people (I assume they're good people). Here's hopin for their continued success.

Good to hear. I really love Torchlight 2, logged quite a few hours into it so nice that the company is doing well. Bring on Torchlight 3 :D

I had a blast playing through Torchlight 2 and am glad to see it doing so well. I'm a bit surprised it took this long to get to 2 million as it was dirt cheap to begin with. That being said, kudos to the team for making a fun game.

shintakie10:

rodneyy:

The actual number per day is roughly 1 million players with around 3 million unique players per month. Not 2.1 million, sure, but that's still decently impressive.

For an odd reference, the average number of users on Steam per day is somewhere around 4 million. That's anyone on Steam in any game that uses Steam, but doesn't count offline players obviously.

edit -

On topic! Kudos to them. Torchlight 2 was extremely obnoxious to me and I really couldn't get into it compared to D3, but I'm never one to wish bad things upon good people (I assume they're good people). Here's hopin for their continued success.

sorry that wasnt a diablo 3 is crap post more a call out of incorrect use of statistics.
i dont like maths getting abused. thats how we end up with only 10% or our brain is used or female conception chances drop off a cliff after 30. when the media takes a number missrepresents it and then runs with a sexy headline. i believe they need to be called out on that, be they big of small, to at least attempt stop it going further.

i guessed the numbers would have to be something impressive still for the average to stay at that level but an early surge will always skew the average up.

correct me if im wrong but i always though that moving graph on the side of the steam main page was current users not total for the day, maybe i am looking at a differnt stat to you or its an assumtion on my end.

Bring it to OSX! I don't want to install the game in my Windows 7 partition.

Got it half off during the Steam sale. I've got a couple of other things to play through first, yet, but I'll get to it soon. I liked the original more than I've liked any Diablo, so I'm looking forward to it.

rodneyy:

shintakie10:

rodneyy:

edit -

sorry that wasnt a diablo 3 is crap post more a call out of incorrect use of statistics.
i dont like maths getting abused. thats how we end up with only 10% or our brain is used or female conception chances drop off a cliff after 30. when the media takes a number missrepresents it and then runs with a sexy headline. i believe they need to be called out on that, be they big of small, to at least attempt stop it going further.

i guessed the numbers would have to be something impressive still for the average to stay at that level but an early surge will always skew the average up.

correct me if im wrong but i always though that moving graph on the side of the steam main page was current users not total for the day, maybe i am looking at a differnt stat to you or its an assumtion on my end.

You are correct that it is a moving graph, but while I can't say I check very regularly, I do check it at least once a month. The numbers rarely, if ever, dip below 2.5 million while the peaks can jump up pretty high on specific game release days if the game has steamworks. The peakiest peak of concurrent users for Steam was 6.6 million (so far).

4 Million is a rough guestimation, but its a pretty solid guess all things considered.

Note, I'm not even talkin about people in game at the time, just people who have Steam on. Whether that's chattin with people, in a game, or just those who have it loaded but are doin absolutely nothin with it.

I've got 153 hours racked up.
I really really enjoy it. : >

Mods do help a bunch though, as it still has a few lingering issues from TL1 like gear balance.

Great news about a wonderful game. If you haven't played it yet, you really are missing out.

So it sold 2 million copies, at only $20 per copy, and it's considered a raging success? Huh. Fancy that.

erttheking:
So it sold 2 million copies, at only $20 per copy, and it's considered a raging success? Huh. Fancy that.

Not even considering Steams cut in that, or the discounted price during the Steam sales.

I'm curious what the budget was and how much of a profit they turned.

I'd like to be all smug and sarcastic and compare playerbases but that's FINE.

Good for you Torchlight. I hope this puts the studio in a good position in terms of potential for other development.

Stiiiill won't play it though :L

CardinalPiggles:
I can't help but think that the general view of TL2 is somewhat biased by the Diablo 3 fiasco.

Comparatively, TL2 is a good game, but it's not all the fun really.

Maybe it's better when you play it with friends? But then again, what isn't?

I dunno. I beat the first real boss, and just thought it wasn't worth my time.

It's better with compatible friends. If you want to see everything and your friend wants to blow through it the whole playing bit will be a grating process of "god why did I do this". Kind of sad, really. But I agree, to a point. I couldn't get into the game, even after 15 something hours and three people telling me how good it was as I was playing with them.

Not really the game's fault I don't think, but, eh.

Well that is nice to hear. I got during the steam sale and so far I am have fun playing the outlander with my pet wolf named fred. I currently wish to rename my pet.

It's great to hear the game doing well. The devs certainly deserve it after all the support they've given the game.

Though I have to wonder how much profit they've actually made, sale figures are nice and all but I got this sneaking suspicion that many of the sales come from Steam sales. My friends who all bought Diablo 3 on launch just knew Torchlight as a lesser Diablo clone and wouldn't touch it or it's sequel unless they were on sale.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here