Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Polytron has announced that development of Fez II has been cancelled following director Phil Fish's Twitter snafu.

Being a game developer is a very stressful job, as you are constantly being subject to criticism from your fans, as well as media outlets. But Fez developer Phil Fish, who was recently attacked in a GameTrailers show called "Invisible Walls," where presenter Marcus Beer sarcastically referred to him and Jonathan Blow as "BlowFish," can't handle being scrutinized. Fish lashed out at Beer on Twitter, calling him a "middle-aged parasite," and suggesting that he kill himself. Classy.

"The thing with us "tosspots" "hipsters" is that we're not beholden to media leeches like you, and you're right. we're VERY successful. And we're not going anywhere. Get used to it you middle-aged parasite. Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself. [sic]"

Fish then went on to demand a public apology from Beer for his comments. "how would you react tot his [sic] kind of shit if you were me," he said, "consider it's been going on for years now. you'd take the high road? im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair." Fish seems to believe that telling someone to kill themselves is on-par with being criticized about his habits.

For those of you who were looking forward to Fez II, looks like you are in for some bad news. Fish protected his Twitter account following a tweet that read, "im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye," and the official Polytron Twitter account has now announced "It's with a heavy heart that we announce that FEZ II has been cancelled and is no longer in development. We apologize for the disappointment."

"there's not a day that goes by i don't fantasize about leaving [twitter]. but that would only make you happy, right? i don't want to have to get off twitter," Fish continued, "i love twitter. but it also invites SO MUCH UGLINESS into my life." This is a statement that I'm sure rings true for many others who have made career-ruining blunders via twitter, such as everyone's favorite Microsoft bigmouth, Adam Orth.

Source: Twitter via The Examiner

Image: Giant Bomb

Update: Phil Fish has commented on the recent cancellation of Fez II, saying:

"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

Source: Twitter (Imgur)

Steven Bogos:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."

Maybe if he wasn't such a cunt he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.

You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.

If you are a public figure of any sort the best thing you can do to make your life easier is stay as far away from Twitter as humanly possible. Being in the public eye and having an unfiltered means of instantly communicating with potentially millions of people is nothing if not a recipe for disaster.

This is the end (hopefully) of a long time of Fish being a dick on twitter. Seriously this has been going on for a long time before this. Seems to be pretty common problem for some creative types that they cannot take criticism of there work. At least those that don't have corporate over lords to keep them quiet. It generally ends with this "take my ball and go home" approach.

I've barely heard of the guy and I already want to slap him about the head and tell him to grow up.

That's never a good sign.

hazabaza1:

Steven Bogos:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."

Maybe if he wasn't such a cunt he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.

The man either seems to be a complete jackhole, or a complete jackhole that is possibly suffering from bipolar disorder. Honestly reading some is hies previous rants on twitter, I expect outbursts like his from a 14-16 boy, not from a successful indie dev.

I thought these indie guys were supposed to be all chill and artsy. Yeah, he gets shit about stuff, but so does everybody else. He isn't special and you don't go around on social media sites saying those things this day and age w/o consequences.

Invisible Walls is still going?!

Man!

OT: The way people behave on Twitter sure is in the name, isn't it?

So his solution is to act like a six year-old? Yeah, that certainly solves the problem. Cancelling development of a game that many people were looking forward to, myself included, will only invite more hate from the rage-centric Internet and add credence to the japes people have been making toward you. You have absolutely no ground to stand on this time Fish.

I've never heard of this guy before, but by his quotes in this article alone, he sounds like a big angry man-baby. The fact that he has the spelling and grammar skills of a 6 year old is not helping.

And Fez 2 was gunna have Blackjack and Hookers, but now forget Fez 2 and the Blackjack.
You should boycott twitter harder
Nerd.

Super Not Cosmo:
If you are a public figure of any sort the best thing you can do to make your life easier is stay as far away from Twitter as humanly possible. Being in the public eye and having an unfiltered means of instantly communicating with potentially millions of people is nothing if not a recipe for disaster.

a friend of mine actually ran some small classes for people who will be unnamed in the public eye about how to use twitter. there is so much to be aware of with it from being angry and lashing out like this through to not taking and posting photos of your hotel room especially with views out of the window until you have booked out of that room due to the possibility of the hotel and floor being identified.

yes its easier not to use twitter and frankly probably safer too but its a way to have that personal connection with people

all that said. stupid, stupid man saying that publically. lashing out is one thing telling someone he should do that is something else entirely

How about you stop being a dick to people Mr Fish, and gain some perspective?

Nice Futurama reference, but I think what's interesting about him using that quote is that in that episode Bender sacrificed his body in pursuit of money, but then realized that being a head wasn't all it was cracked up to be and the sacrifice wasn't worth it in the end. Mostly because Richard Nixon might buy it and use an odd loophole in the constitution to run for president of Earth. And nobody wants that.

Andy of Comix Inc:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.

And just then nothing of value was lost.

Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I mean, he does realize the financial implications of cancelling a game based on grade school play ground logic right? If he can't through his haze of seething rage then he will later and probably quietly resume development.

Eric the Orange:
This is the end (hopefully) of a long time of Fish being a dick on twitter. Seriously this has been going on for a long time before this. Seems to be pretty common problem for some creative types that they cannot take criticism of there work. At least those that don't have corporate over lords to keep them quiet. It generally ends with this "take my ball and go home" approach.

So someone calling him "Blowfish" is "Criticism of his work"?

Don't fucking think so.

Fish was out of line certainly. But the other guy sounds like a grade-a juvenile asshole as well. This is an example of two people who should've been the better man, and yet neither of them were.

Thank fucking god. Game industry doesn't need tools like Fish. How can you enter an industry that is always heavily scrutinized unprepared? There will always be people whom will not like your work or whom might even hate it, but that's the basic reality of our industry. I thought adults were supposed to handle things maturely, not throwing anger tantrums and "rage-quitting" their own projects. This is kindergarten stuff; thank god another child was expelled.

AJey:
Thank fucking god. Game industry doesn't need tools like Fish. How can you enter an industry that is always heavily scrutinized unprepared? There will always be people whom will not like your work or whom might even hate it, but that's the basic reality of our industry. I thought adults were supposed to handle things maturely, not throwing anger tantrums and "rage-quitting" their own projects. This is kindergarten stuff; thank god another child was expelled.

Rage quitting the project? The impression I got is the company cancelled their funding of the game. Assuming he is being funded by someone else.

Riobux:

Andy of Comix Inc:

This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.

Defending Phil is kinda pointless, but does anyone look better in comparison? This started because this Marcus guy was mad about "BlowFish" not wanting to comment on Microsoft's indie changes. They saw it as rumors at the time, while he took it as fact. So all of this started as a misunderstanding on his part and he does not acknowledge it.

If you follow Phil's tweets, you see another account, now deleted, antagonizing him and saying rude crap that only made Phil madder. That's not okay.

Twitter's such a pain.

Steven Bogos:
Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Polytron has announced that development of Fez II has been cancelled following director Phil Fish's Twitter snafu.

Being a game developer is a very stressful job, as you are constantly being subject to criticism from your fans, as well as media outlets. But Fez developer Phil Fish, who was recently attacked in a GameTrailers show called "Invisible Walls," where presenter Marcus Beer sarcastically referred to him as "BlowFish," obviously can't handle being scrutinized. Fish lashed out at Beer on Twitter, calling him a "middle-aged parasite," and suggesting that he kill himself. Classy.

"The thing with us "tosspots" "hipsters" is that we're not beholden to media leeches like you, and you're right. we're VERY successful. And we're not going anywhere. Get used to it you middle-aged parasite. Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself."

Fish then went on to demand a public apology from Beer for his comments. "how would you react tot his kind of shit if you were me," he said, "consider it's been going on for years now. you'd take the high road? im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair." Fish seems to believe that telling someone to kill themselves is on-par with being criticized about his habits.

For those of you who were looking forward to Fez II, looks like you are in for some bad news. Fish protected his Twitter account following a tweet that read, "im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye," and the official Polytron Twitter account has now announced "It's with a heavy heart that we announce that FEZ II has been cancelled and is no longer in development. We apologize for the disappointment."

"there's not a day that goes by i don't fantasize about leaving [twitter]. but that would only make you happy, right? i don't want to have to get off twitter," Fish continued, "i love twitter. but it also invites SO MUCH UGLINESS into my life." This is a statement that I'm sure rings true for many others who have made career-ruining blunders via twitter, such as everyone's favorite Microsoft bigmouth, Adam Orth.

Source: Twitter via The Examiner

Image: Giant Bomb

Ah, I love this. Seeing a game developer who made a great game, continuing to show that he is a damn child who can't handle being insulted on the internet. My seven year old brother can take better scrutiny than this 20 something ADULT.

Fish, if you read this: Grow the fuck up and act your age, kid.

This time he went too far, and proved himself as an immature dickface and I look forward to Marcus's response. It will be BRUTAL.

Sure insulting people and blowing hot hair is cause to ignore, it's just mudslinging. But to tell someone to KILL themselves is proof that he is rotten to the core as a person. We've all said thing's we regret, but whoever tells you to kill yourself over it is not a human being. They are simply wretches.

Wow, the more I hear about this guy the more I'm glad I didn't buy Fez and now I'm not going to regardless of how many arbitrary awards it has won. He comes over as nothing less than a monumental prick with a bloated ego because he has had one successful game. And if you can't stand people criticising your work, maybe consider doing something that doesn't have an entire sub-industry dedicated to doing just that?

He needs to get over himself.

Without knowing any historical context, acting like this is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. Dick or not - if this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?

I didn't play the first Fez for the sole reason that this guy redefines "douchebag". For the following millenia kids will ask their parents what douchebag means and they'll just point and say, "yeah, pretty much that." the name will be changed, and great wars will be fought over whether we should say Philbag or Fishbag. Angels will descend from the burning heavens to fight off Satan's army of Philbags. Twitter will personify as a giant blue bird, devouring the career essence from each of the Philbags, leaving only a shell a hermit crab might call home. God himself will weep at the unfortunate loss of a great and creative mind tragically stuck inside his biggest personality failure to date.

OT: Fuck that guy.

What the fuck is it with gamers and the phrase "go kill yourself"? It's so fucking juvenile, it's not like anybody actually follows that order and if they do it's never 'cos of it.

I'm going to start saying the opposite to people I argue with on the internet, "you know what, just go hug a puppy!".

Anyway, if you don't want your art being criticized, you're in the wrong profession my friend! "I want people to watch my movie and like it, if they don't they should kill themselves".

Guy seems a little insecure to me.

This is hilarious. It's too bad he quit Twitter, I'd have loved to see some follow-up rage.

Is it really that hard to practice some basic self control and human decency? Honest question here.

Senare:
I think that the way Fish acted is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. If this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?

Indeed. Especially in Fish's case, who gets abuse more or less constantly. Doesn't matter who you are, deal with that for a year or two straight and it wears you down. At this point his patience for insults is pretty much gone, so yeah. Totally understandable to see him react this way.

Akalabeth:

Eric the Orange:

So someone calling him "Blowfish" is "Criticism of his work"?

Don't fucking think so.

Fish was out of line certainly. But the other guy sounds like a grade-a juvenile asshole as well. This is an example of two people who should've been the better man, and yet neither of them were.

First off I said it was common of creative types in general not this specific situation.

Second have you looked back into this situation besides what was said in this article. It was more than that. And his previous twitter rants were about more than that.

Awwwwwwwww ikkle baby. Fear not, oh toddler of thin skin and loud mouth, for I have in my possession the world's smallest violin! Indeed, it is so small, a microscope is required for its viewing!

Senare:
I think that the way Fish acted is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. If this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?

Lashing out is one thing. Telling a critic to kill themselves, because he is so much better than them, though? What would he have to say for you to hold it against him?

Senare:

I'll give you a moment to think about that statement. That he acted 'human'. Suicide is a pretty big deal. People DO kill themselves because bullies tell them to. Phil Fish doesn't deserve any sympathy. He's always been a melodramatic ass that lashes out at everyone. Him shutting up for a while is better for the whole industry. At least until he grows up.

Brussels:

Riobux:

Andy of Comix Inc:

This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.

I just don't understand what was so great about Fez, and therefore I struggle to work out what is the value of Fish beyond the "but he's a human being!" excuse.

Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here