Witcher 3 Dev Doesn't Believe in Paid DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Witcher 3 Dev Doesn't Believe in Paid DLC

The Witcher 3's game director believes patches, fixes and additional content should be provided free of charge.

CD Projekt Red, the team behind the Witcher series, are no strangers to giving out free content to its customers. In an interview with the Examiner, The Witcher 3 game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz shared the company's philosophy on providing extra content for its games. "We could sell extra content to gamers 'down the road,'" he said, "but we don't believe in that."

"We believe patches, fixes and additional content should be provided to gamers free of charge. Only something really big, and something that will not make you feel ripped off, justifies a price tag."

It should be noted that Tomaszkiewicz doesn't completely rule out the possibility of paid content for The Witcher 3, but stresses that "If we ever decide to charge you for something, we think you will appreciate what you get in return." Considering that The Witcher 2 received over 10 gigs of free content, it would have to be something absolutely massive to justify being charged for it!

Tomaszkiewicz's words offer hope in this world of "nickle-and-dime" DLC, where $15 map packs and $10 alternate costume packs run rampant. Both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 received a very extensive amount of free post-launch support, receiving "Enhanced Editions," which added hours of gampeplay and dozens of new quests and animations, released as free updates for existing customers. The Witcher 2 Combat Mod was released (for free) earlier this year, despite The Witcher 2 being released back in 2011.

Needless to say, you can probably stop holding your breath for pay-to-win microtransactions in The Witcher 3.

Source: The Examiner

There is never a bit of news that comes out of this studio that I don't like. These guys are awesome.

Good for them. I agree that patches/fixes should be free and I'm not going to complain about a company that is willing to give me more content for free.

That said, I have absolutely no problems with a company releasing paid DLC, provided it doesn't unbalance the multiplayer and isn't necessary to have a complete game. I don't even have a problem with Horse Armor type DLC - I can always choose not to buy it.

It is quite sad that the company, that treats its customers good is the same company, whose games I am really not interested in. Lets hope that Cyberpunk will change it.

They are an awesome developer. If its only minor DLC like a few side missions, monsters or clothes. Then thats good free stuff to have. But if they make a huge questline line which can add a few hours of content then i would have no problem paying for that. Just make it a few pounds/dollars and you will make extra cash for your hard work. Problem with DLC is that companies can charge a price that is way more than what the content is worth. Like horse armor was a rip off, but if they sold it for 50p then it would be a fun addition.

These guys feel like the alternate universe version of EA. Every time they open their mouth I smile instead of grimacing.

I kind of agree with them. Micro DLC is usually not worth the asking price. Costumes and weapons and that stuff is just worthless.

But extra content is definitely something they could get away with selling, as long as they price it fairly. That Enhanced Edition for TW2 for example I would have been happy to pay an extra 5 or so to upgrade.

Microtransactions are just annoying, decent, well-thought out DLC can be cool, Bethesda usually do quite well with those.

The only problem I have is it's so long between DLCs that I've forgotten some of the core mechanics when I pick up the DLC.

This game is the anti-Saints Row(in terms of DLC).
Quite possibly my favourite developers and I have no doubt(from what I've seen) that the Witcher 3 will set the benchmark for next-gen RPGs.

Kind of funny how this news and this video come out on the same day :P

Buy yeah, CD Projekt Red. Good people. Also a sister company to GoG, which is totally awesome.

<3 them both.

while i dont think that we shouldnt pay for additional content (providing what we revieve on day 1 is content complete, and doesnt include things like micro transactions) but i do want to give this man a hug

why cant others in this industry look at these guys and figure out how to get good PR

Steven Bogos:
"We believe patches, fixes and additional content should be provided to gamers free of charge. Only something really big, and something that will not make you feel ripped off, justifies a price tag."

mr. Tomaszkiewicz, have a cookie.

Well deserved.

*claps*

This is the sort of thing that makes me think - no, KNOW - there is still hope for the industry yet. Well done, lads.

This is how this industry used to be, and I miss it. Definitely getting Witcher 3 on day one. Maybe other publishers/developers will get the message.

I personally did not like The Witcher very much, but I still bought the second one while it was on sale just because these guys are so damn nice. They're also the guys behind GOG.com :D

Tinybear:
I personally did not like The Witcher very much, but I still bought the second one while it was on sale just because these guys are so damn nice. They're also the guys behind GOG.com :D

They are?! Why are these people so nice, feel bad for not picking up the Witcher 2 when it was on sale now, I was tempted but I heard it's a really big download plus my slow download speed so I gave it a miss.

All developers and publishers should just think this way in the first place. it's sad we need this kind of clarification in our current industry...

and yet people pile on the love for the developer for saying obvious things, that's like applauding someone who simply says "I don't eat babies."

*Sigh* Ok, back to powering my way through the first Witcher. It is a LOOOOOOOOONG game.

Seriously though guys, good job. Also please give Wild Hunt a mac port PLEASE! I've got the first two games on my mac, and I'm gonna need a mac port to continue with my save data.

I love CD Projekt & GOG. But even with all the right with this such as "patches, fixes and additional content should be provided free of charge" I do have to disagree because while yes patches and fixes SHOULD be free, and free additional content is great, There is definitely room for paid additional content as well.

CD projekt could have definitely benefitted in its early days by using the original Witcher tools and assets and quickly turned out a fully fleshed out content expansion that would have helped give them budget breathing room in that long winter of 2007- 2011 while Witcher 2 was being developed. Honestly I think many fans would have relished such a side diversion that could have popped out say late 2008 or so and helped to have renewed interest in the franchise while waiting for the next installment.

There is no harm in building additional content for the point of a profit. There is nothing wrong with maximizing the usage obtained out of a set of tools and assets. As long as it is done logically, and practically in such a way that entices customers to purchase the content without mandating it, creating expectations of "need" to purchase or behaving in a generally underhanded, sleazy and shady manner. Some companies do it, most do not and we end up with abominations like Final Fantasy 13-3 which is two sequels more than there needed to be and essentially undercuts the primary installment, or FPS "season passes" that tell you that a game is expected to run for a year before the new installment is released and there WILL be a guarantee of multiple DLCs that every moment you do NOT have access to this content is another less minute you have access to the timeframe in which this content is actually relevant.

Again, Love GOG. Love CDProjekt. Love most of their philosophies. However I have seen that sometimes they bite their nose to spite their face, and other times they try to push toward more profitable concepts that skirt hurting their philosophical positions.

It's great in what they believe and I believe in it too but I can't help but feel that we shouldn't keep these guys as the no.1 devs to look up to because we should all know by now that if anything ever happens at all in gaming history it's going to be tacked as "Why can't these guys be like the Amazing (subjective) CD Projekt Red" and then we'll keep on comparing everything to them till a new "rule of thumb" (made by some of you not everyone and not absolute, hence subjective) appears and the cycle repeats.

I like these guys I really do but I haven't bought a game of theirs due to lack of interest but I can respect what they do but I will not treat them as the cookie cutter rule of thumb that everyone should be because if others don't comply then they will suddenly be seen as the bad people when they really aren't.

The birds are singing, the sky is blue, CD Projekt RED (and it's parent company GOG) continues to be incredibly awesome and Capcom continues to sell on-disc content, cheats and costumes.

If only more developers would think this way, but wait I forgot, they are a business and their only mission is how much money they can squeeze out of their franchises and nickle and dime gullible people with paid DLC.

Keep being awesome CDPR. You are one of the few companies that haven't been corrupted by the giants and are keeping your ground.

Very appropriate captcha: win hands down.

Tinybear:

Yeah the first one is a bit of a trudge to get through, but I found the story kept me going. The second one improves pretty much everything. The combat feels weightier, the environments are beautiful, and the characters are varied. Oh yes, later on when you come to a mission to give this guy harpy feathers, be sure to finish it, you will not regret it.

It's a damn shame i likely won't be able to play Wild Hunt until over a year after it's been released. I doubt my laptop would be able to run it and i'm not planning on buying a PS4 until i have a better idea on how it performs and it's price drops a little. And i have no plans to buy an Xbone at all unless the Kinect is removed entirely.

... I think I just heard a choir of angels singing.

Seriously, I wish I actually got around to playing a Witcher game. I always hear that they're top-notch games, and these devs honestly need as much support as possible.

I will forever support CD Projekt Red for their game views both vocally and with $$$. They are the last of a dying breed that we should do our hardest to make sure that they do not go extinct.

I agree. I'm pretty against costumes, guns, armors, etc that feels like its ripped from the game to be held hostage through retail exclusive

I do like the idea of dlc's such as Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and anything that brings in additional content that couldn't be part of the main content.

Good to see these guys gets it.

I bought Witcher 2 on a whim to support these guys even though I don't have good enough PC to justifies the game.

If they bring Witcher1 and 2 on PS4, I'd get that along with the 3rd one. Make it happen!

viranimus:
Snip

Read the article closer, the guy actually DOES say there is a place for DLC

Only something really big, and something that will not make you feel ripped off, justifies a price tag."

It should be noted that Tomaszkiewicz doesn't completely rule out the possibility of paid content for The Witcher 3, but stresses that "If we ever decide to charge you for something, we think you will appreciate what you get in return."

In other words yes, paid DLC has it's place, but paid DLC should ONLY happen if the content is actually big and important enough, otherwise it should be free. No $10 costume packs for this developer, but maybe $10 to get a bunch of sidequests.

Steven Bogos:

Considering that The Witcher 2 received over 10 gigs of free content, it would have to be someone absolutely massive to justify being charged for it!

Sorry to correct you Steven, but that's "it would have to be something absolutely massive.

Glad to hear at least one studio say that. Though from these guys i'm happy to say that i'm not at all suprised, just look at their track record...

You talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

In the vanilla version of the Witcher 2, if you go to the Bandit hideout in the Flotsam forest. You'll notice that it's locked and you cannot get in, if you wiggle the camera around enough you can see the interior.

The DLCs are glorified patches.

well done you guys. glad you're around to show how it should be done

mad825:
-snip-

sorry, but that made no sense to me

I swear one day CD Projekt Red are going to turn out to be evil masterminds lulling as in to a false sense of security then BAM!!

immortalfrieza:

viranimus:
Snip

Read the article closer, the guy actually DOES say there is a place for DLC

Oh I know, I did read it. My post was more to the focus of what CD projekt has done in the past and where it seems like their individual philosophy lies and how they could have benefitted if they were a tad more proactive about the possibility from both increased exposure, and secondary sales from easier to produce content.

Mr Ink 5000:

mad825:
-snip-

sorry, but that made no sense to me

The Bandit hideout in the Flotsam forest? In other words, they deliberately withheld content; the Troll Trouble quest.

Edit: But I'm sure they did design the set pieces, characters, and level design around the DLC...I only wish.

Steven Bogos:

The Witcher 2 received over 10 gigs of free content, it would have to be someone absolutely massive to justify being charged for it!

Both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 received a very extensive amount of free post-launch support, receiving "Enhanced Editions," which added hours of gampeplay and hundreds of new quests and animations, released as free updates for existing customers.

That's a rather large exaggeration... I mean, I appreciate their business practices as much as anyone, but the way this make it sound, it seems like they released an entire game worth of game data separate from the game itself, and added new content several times what the core game had (ie: Witcher 2 even with the Enhanced Edition has just under a hundred quests.)

Additionally, most of the 10 gig patch was files that had to be completely replaced even if the actual content added was a small addition to the file. essentially you had to redownload the whole game, not actually 10 gigs of all new voice acting, maps, models, animations, CGI, etc.

It just makes the article seem hard to take seriously as I read it. The only time I've ever even seen or heard of such huge additions to a game it was when people were referring to modding, which I suppose you could say was something they worked on and added for free through the new Red kit, but even then... The modding community hasn't quite added "hundreds of new quests"... yet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here