Bleszinski Appeals To Phil Fish: Get Back In The Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I think if Fish was less of a twat people would like him. Also taken out of context a beer twitter explosion sounds fantastic.

Im gonna stand by Phil right now and say that I hope he comes back! As a fellow man of thick skin Ive never found anything that he has said remotely offensive.

So let me make sure I have this straight.

By the supreme logic of this forum this person (and now Cliff B. here too) are the subject of page after page of posts belittling him. But if someone posts anything belittling the belittlers for their belittling as a group...

Then that poster is begging to be banned.

One more slap on my wrist and I am banned. I worry just by saying the world belittle I might get banned by this post.

If so I'd prefer that I reckon to waiting for my warnings to expire.

This is some 1984 shit. And not just the Hate.

Phil, just learn to ignore social sites, or find less hostile sites. And why you're at it, learn some self control and don't speak your mind everywhere you go.

Don't be a moron like Bleszinski who thinks he can get away without flak when telling everyone how wrong they are with piss poor reasoning.

Monsterfurby:

Roander:

Seems silly now, doesn't it.

Communication is a sender-receiver interaction. As a sender, one SHOULD be aware of what the receiver might understand if they are not aware of the same memes. Especially if you are also a public personality, like Mr. Fish chose to be.

True, but Fish is a public personality in the video game world. It's not unreasonable for him to think his audience is familiar with Futurama.

cursedseishi:

Having seen his entire rant, I disagree.

The entirety of his post was practically dedicated to him insulting and belittling the other, with that "quote" as the cap twisted on the bottle so to speak. And you must not be looking around too much if you're claiming no one is bringing up the fact it MIGHT be a reference, as I've seen it in several articles.

Fact is, though, is it being a reference means jack shit. Reference or not, what matters is the intent behind the post. Someone can just as easily hide what they really mean behind a reference, as they can just making a reference. And we'll never know because we aren't Fish. But given his past behavior, I wouldn't doubt it if he sincerely meant it with a thinly veiled reference.

This isn't a fact, it's an opinion. I do agree that what matters is the intent behind the post and that, since we aren't Fish, we can never be sure of what that intent was. We have to make our best guesses based on all the information available. That includes whether he was referencing something else in the media or just making a plain statement.

And I found and read the remainder of his rant, unfortunately missing most of the tweets he was responding to. I still think what he said is open to interpretation.

RaikuFA:
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. Indie game made in Japan, got a good chunk of positive press here.

One game an industry does not make, though it is a delightfully quirky one.

Fox12:
The problem is, he's not just a victim. I agree that the "journalist" was at fault here, but keep in mind that Phil Fish is no stranger to controversy. He's derided other developers, insulted other members of the gaming community, and made snarky, rude, and ignorant online rants on the internet.

Nothing that can't be found in your run-of-the-mill gaming forum, which is a damn shame.

I really do feel sorry for his troubles, but they were invited by him. He's the one who starts most of these feuds, with no justification whatsoever. Remember when he said, in front of a full panel, that Japanese games "just suck?" He was openly hostile, and said that in the most disrespectful way possible, never mind that he's right. You can't behave that way, then get upset when you invite criticism.

Essentially you're saying "he deserves it", which I don't agree with on basic principles of ethics. Nobody "deserves" to be ragged on, especially to the extent that Fish has

He is loud, yes, maybe even obnoxious to some. But this doesn't justify the, in some ways even more hostile and vicious reactions of everyone against him.

I would argue most of the hate comes from his overwhelmingly pretentious attitude. You get the sense that he really does think he's superior to others, and no one appreciated getting talked down too.

I don't get that sense at all. People claim that he is pretentious and I just don't see it. He's loud, yes. Very passionate about what he says, sure.

If you've seen Indie Game: The Movie, it is clear, this man is troubled. He fully admits this, he has self esteem issues, constantly worries about what others think of him, and is easily stressed by pressure. Nowhere in the movie, at least for me, did I feel that Fish was somehow "pretentious" or anything like that. I'd understand Johnathan Blow being called that, though I find him interesting as well, but certainly not Fish.

He's not a victim, he's a bully, and I think maybe he's allowing his own self esteem issues to affect the way he treats other people. If I knew the man, I would recommend he undergo some much needed maturing, then return stronger than ever. He's a skilled developer, and he has potential, but it's past time that he grew up and joined the adult world.

I wouldn't classify him as a bully in any respect, or if in some respect then only because his mouth runs faster than his brain does.

I dislike the argument "he's so immature, childish, etc..." because I highly doubt anyone else claiming this honestly really cares about maturity. If they did, we wouldn't have nearly as many people raging against Sarkeesian for wanting to make a simple video series, we wouldn't just accept that the CoD community are "12 year olds" with them launching death threats by the volley at Infinity Ward just for a recent patch, and we would actually be able to properly discuss a much wider array of issues that what we currently do. Currently, in the Escapist no less, a place that tries to pride itself on being higher-minded in its discussions, everyone is basically shitting on a lone guy as if he's the face of gaming.

I do not agree with the claim that somehow, out of everything else we should be deriding for immaturity, Fish, a lone indie developer that not even people who play his games may know who he is, is the maturity point we should fixate on. It's even worse when people complain about his swearing, as if that's a sign of maturity, and act just as haughty and pretentious as they claim Fish to be.

Please understand, I'm not saying Fish is a genius or a god or that people shouldn't criticize him. Hell, I haven't even played Fez yet (goddamn STEAM sales creating an even bigger backlog), and for all I know it could be delightfully bad. I'm just saying, with all the obvious hints and signs at this man's mental well being, maybe if we had just a bit more sympathy and understanding, not much of this would have happened or be necessary.

AzrealMaximillion:
Uh... gotta disagree there. Unreal brought us the Unreal Engine, which to this day is one of the most used engine in video games. Period. A lot of franchises like Mass Effect and BioShock would not be here if it weren't for the Unreal Engine.

Or they could have, you know, just used a different game engine. I like UE3 as much as the next guy, but it's not like it's the only engine available.

Jumplion:

RaikuFA:
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. Indie game made in Japan, got a good chunk of positive press here.

One game an industry does not make, though it is a delightfully quirky one.

Fox12:
The problem is, he's not just a victim. I agree that the "journalist" was at fault here, but keep in mind that Phil Fish is no stranger to controversy. He's derided other developers, insulted other members of the gaming community, and made snarky, rude, and ignorant online rants on the internet.

Nothing that can't be found in your run-of-the-mill gaming forum, which is a damn shame.

I really do feel sorry for his troubles, but they were invited by him. He's the one who starts most of these feuds, with no justification whatsoever. Remember when he said, in front of a full panel, that Japanese games "just suck?" He was openly hostile, and said that in the most disrespectful way possible, never mind that he's right. You can't behave that way, then get upset when you invite criticism.

Essentially you're saying "he deserves it", which I don't agree with on basic principles of ethics. Nobody "deserves" to be ragged on, especially to the extent that Fish has

He is loud, yes, maybe even obnoxious to some. But this doesn't justify the, in some ways even more hostile and vicious reactions of everyone against him.

I would argue most of the hate comes from his overwhelmingly pretentious attitude. You get the sense that he really does think he's superior to others, and no one appreciated getting talked down too.

I don't get that sense at all. People claim that he is pretentious and I just don't see it. He's loud, yes. Very passionate about what he says, sure.

If you've seen Indie Game: The Movie, it is clear, this man is troubled. He fully admits this, he has self esteem issues, constantly worries about what others think of him, and is easily stressed by pressure. Nowhere in the movie, at least for me, did I feel that Fish was somehow "pretentious" or anything like that. I'd understand Johnathan Blow being called that, though I find him interesting as well, but certainly not Fish.

He's not a victim, he's a bully, and I think maybe he's allowing his own self esteem issues to affect the way he treats other people. If I knew the man, I would recommend he undergo some much needed maturing, then return stronger than ever. He's a skilled developer, and he has potential, but it's past time that he grew up and joined the adult world.

I wouldn't classify him as a bully in any respect, or if in some respect then only because his mouth runs faster than his brain does.

I dislike the argument "he's so immature, childish, etc..." because I highly doubt anyone else claiming this honestly really cares about maturity. If they did, we wouldn't have nearly as many people raging against Sarkeesian for wanting to make a simple video series, we wouldn't just accept that the CoD community are "12 year olds" with them launching death threats by the volley at Infinity Ward just for a recent patch, and we would actually be able to properly discuss a much wider array of issues that what we currently do. Currently, in the Escapist no less, a place that tries to pride itself on being higher-minded in its discussions, everyone is basically shitting on a lone guy as if he's the face of gaming.

I do not agree with the claim that somehow, out of everything else we should be deriding for immaturity, Fish, a lone indie developer that not even people who play his games may know who he is, is the maturity point we should fixate on. It's even worse when people complain about his swearing, as if that's a sign of maturity, and act just as haughty and pretentious as they claim Fish to be.

Please understand, I'm not saying Fish is a genius or a god or that people shouldn't criticize him. Hell, I haven't even played Fez yet (goddamn STEAM sales creating an even bigger backlog), and for all I know it could be delightfully bad. I'm just saying, with all the obvious hints and signs at this man's mental well being, maybe if we had just a bit more sympathy and understanding, not much of this would have happened or be necessary.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I think he deserves the hate, because I don't believe perpetuating hate ever helps anyone. Rather, he can't reasonably behave a certain way than expect any other kind of feedback than what he is receiving. He may be the nicest person in history, but if what most people see of him is his angry outbursts and negative twitter rants than that's going to affect how the public perceives him. All I'm really trying to say is that he's responsible for his own image.

Please understand I don't hate the guy, I've never met him, I just think he was a willing participant in a lot of the controversy that surrounds him. I hope, whatever he does, he finds a rewarding career, whether that be in gaming or somewhere else. Furthermore, if he's really as troubled as people say, than I'm actually glad he's taking a break from game development. It may be healthy for him to separate himself from the situation, take some time off, away from all the hate, and look at the situation from the outside. Getting a fresh perspective is probably the best thing for him. I also hope he comes back, and if he doesn't, than I hope he's happy wherever he is.

I still think he has a bit of an attitude though, and maybe this is an opportunity for him to think about how he chooses his words. Maybe if he apologizes for some of his unprovoked remarks, and chooses to take the high ground with some of the rude remarks he gets, the whole thing will blow over. I can't think of any other Indie dev who receives so much negative press, and I feel like if he created a more friendly public face then a lot of it would go away.

Fox12:
I wouldn't go so far as to say I think he deserves the hate, because I don't believe perpetuating hate ever helps anyone. Rather, he can't reasonably behave a certain way than expect any other kind of feedback than what he is receiving. He may be the nicest person in history, but if what most people see of him is his angry outbursts and negative twitter rants than that's going to affect how the public perceives him. All I'm really trying to say is that he's responsible for his own image.

Have you seen "Indie Game: The Movie"? I'm legitimately asking, because there's this interesting bit in it where Johnathan Blow, the creator of Braid, notes how as the reviews of his game started coming out, the public's perception of him morphed into that of the "artsy fartsy pretentious indie dev", despite nothing really to truly support this at the beginning.

A person's public image is not as in control as you might think. This isn't to say I disagree with you, I do understand the point of Fish's behavior contributing to it, but at the same time Fish's actions have received an exorbitant amount of scrutiny whether what he does is big or small. It's a more cyclical problem than I think you're giving credit for, and it's not like Fish only receives hate when his mouth opens up, as Jim Sterling just said in his recent video here on the Escapist, it's a constant thing that builds up.

Please understand I don't hate the guy, I've never met him, I just think he was a willing participant in a lot of the controversy that surrounds him. I hope, whatever he does, he finds a rewarding career, whether that be in gaming or somewhere else. Furthermore, if he's really as troubled as people say, than I'm actually glad he's taking a break from game development. It may be healthy for him to separate himself from the situation, take some time off, away from all the hate, and look at the situation from the outside. Getting a fresh perspective is probably the best thing for him. I also hope he comes back, and if he doesn't, than I hope he's happy wherever he is.

Again, I heavily recommend watching "Indie Game: The Movie" to really get an idea over what he's been going through, and also for a really good insight into what indie devs go through in creating their games. You could probably find it somewhere on the interwebs.

Just think of it like this; Fish was basically completely unknown before the documentary, and even then he was still getting flak for taking his time with the game. Multiply that by 100x, becoming an overnight internet celebrity afterwards, all in the middle of really messy legal troubles with a former coworker, and at the very least I guarantee you will understand some parts of Fish's more aggressive psyche. Again, I'm not saying he's some "misunderstood genius", but there is, at the very least, an interesting person behind that running mouth of his.

Jumplion:

Fox12:

Have you seen "Indie Game: The Movie"? I'm legitimately asking, because there's this interesting bit in it where Johnathan Blow, the creator of Braid, notes how as the reviews of his game started coming out, the public's perception of him morphed into that of the "artsy fartsy pretentious indie dev", despite nothing really to truly support this at the beginning.

A person's public image is not as in control as you might think. This isn't to say I disagree with you, I do understand the point of Fish's behavior contributing to it, but at the same time Fish's actions have received an exorbitant amount of scrutiny whether what he does is big or small. It's a more cyclical problem than I think you're giving credit for, and it's not like Fish only receives hate when his mouth opens up, as Jim Sterling just said in his recent video here on the Escapist, it's a constant thing that builds up.

Again, I heavily recommend watching "Indie Game: The Movie" to really get an idea over what he's been going through, and also for a really good insight into what indie devs go through in creating their games. You could probably find it somewhere on the interwebs.

Just think of it like this; Fish was basically completely unknown before the documentary, and even then he was still getting flak for taking his time with the game. Multiply that by 100x, becoming an overnight internet celebrity afterwards, all in the middle of really messy legal troubles with a former coworker, and at the very least I guarantee you will understand some parts of Fish's more aggressive psyche. Again, I'm not saying he's some "misunderstood genius", but there is, at the very least, an interesting person behind that running mouth of his.

I admit I haven't seen that film, though my friends tell me it's quite interesting. I'm willing to take the benefit of the doubt considering Fisher, despite his sometimes pompous public statements, and I can agree that taking statements out of context can mislead you about a person. You can now tell your friends and family that you are the first person in history to actually win an internet debate (loud applause). :)

http://www.twogag.com/archives/2518

That's actually surprising to me, that the creator of Braid received so much hate, but I think maybe that's just part of putting yourself out there on the internet. Not saying that's right of course. Regardless of whether you make COD and HALO, or small critically acclaimed games like Braid and FEZ, a sizable chunk of the internet is going to deride you for it. I love Indie games though, so I'd rather play them than more spunkgargleweewee any day.

Fox12:
I admit I haven't seen that film, though my friends tell me it's quite interesting. I'm willing to take the benefit of the doubt considering Fisher, despite his sometimes pompous public statements, and I can agree that taking statements out of context can mislead you about a person. You can now tell your friends and family that you are the first person in history to actually win an internet debate (loud applause). :)

http://www.twogag.com/archives/2518

Oh how you make me blush, senpai. I don't really think it was really much of an argument, I did agree with some of what you were saying, it's just that some aspects I found problematic and systematic of the whole situation and how people are reacting to it.

DataSnake:

AzrealMaximillion:
Uh... gotta disagree there. Unreal brought us the Unreal Engine, which to this day is one of the most used engine in video games. Period. A lot of franchises like Mass Effect and BioShock would not be here if it weren't for the Unreal Engine.

Or they could have, you know, just used a different game engine. I like UE3 as much as the next guy, but it's not like it's the only engine available.

This is true, but the UE3 engine is as popular as it is for a reason. It's extremely easy to use. (How Silicon Knights fucked up with Too Human is beyond me and most people).

Its an extremely malleable engine. More so than most, which is the reason its used so often.

Says the one to exit first. Ah Cliffy B. we never missed you. But you won't shut up!

Karloff:
"The industry needs people like you to speak with their hearts before their brains,"

Actually, what this industry probably needs is proper journalistic method and trained professionals to report on and write about games. The personal tone present in most examples of game blogging and reporting is refreshing, but also opens the floodgates for vitriolic sentiments. In contrast, the pretend (and highly practised) objectivity of modern news reporting and critical journalism exists partially to prevent a discourse such as the one between Fish and Beer, and often does.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here