Mighty Quest Devs: Too Much Premium Currency Is Bad For Loot

Mighty Quest Devs: Too Much Premium Currency Is Bad For Loot

Pay to win is not what The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot should be about.

The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot, Ubisoft's cheerful free to play castle raiding game, went a little too far in its quest for Blings, its developer admits. Blings, the game's premium currency, were becoming a pay-to-win mechanic, causing testers - the game's still in closed testing - much concern. Fear not, says Ubisoft, as it rolls back the monetization changes; pay to win is not what Mighty Quest should be about.

"We realize that letting players purchase machinery upgrades went too far in what we think feels fair to monetize," says Ubisoft, in its rollback announcement. This change was met with unqualified support from Mighty Quest's tester community. "The worst thing that could have happened to this awesome looking game is making it a pay to win," says Seruvius, "making it nothing more than a glorified Facebook game." Perks, like new skins, are easily monetized, but making it so one player can constantly beat another through repeated use of his mighty Vorpal credit card is a bad idea, all the testers agree.

This one's still very much in development, with no release date as yet.

Source: The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot

The announcement coming conveniently a few days after Jimquisition covers the free-to-play model. Coincidence?

Yes, probably.

SonicWaffle:
The announcement coming conveniently a few days after Jimquisition covers the free-to-play model. Coincidence?

Yes, probably.

Actually its probably in response to this video from TotalBiscuit;

Someone get those Ubisoft guys a medal, they managed to figure out what any of us could have told them years ago.

In other news, birds fly, fish swim and fire is hot.

translation:

DARN! we would had them pay a high sum to "have fun" with our game and we definetly would had gotten away with it if it hadn't been for them meddling beta testers and their stupid pets!

gigastar:

SonicWaffle:

Yes, probably.

Somehow I highly doubt that. He is not that good of a reviewer, nor one that has that much pull in the industry to warrant a change that huge.

My guess it is because of all of the playtesters were griping about it.

A win is a win. Ubisoft has been fairly on the ball with fixing their mistakes lately, and has been releasing enough good games for me to give them some credit.

Plus they do something unique with their third-party launch system in the form of those minor U-Play rewards, so that's at least something. At least they're trying to be more than just Steam But Worse.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Somehow I highly doubt that. He is not that good of a reviewer, nor one that has that much pull in the industry to warrant a change that huge.

Total Biscuit and Yahtzee Croshaw are the two reviewers I rely upon most. Then again, I get the majority of my news intake from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. So far, tongue-in-cheek commentary hasn't steered me wrong.

But yes, it's unlikely that Biscuit alone was responsible for the change. I'd credit all the outcry against the XB1 and Microsoft reversing their decision as the precedent that's encouraging companies to listen to their customers sooner.

Its a positive change hope others take note this is good PR.

They're charging money for a game in closed beta?

Gee...

Dear Ubisoft, I have the answer to all of your Free 2 Play monetization needs.

COSMETIC ITEMS!

Don't believe me? Look what it did for Team Fortress 2. Just think, how many people would love to have stuff based on the many franchises you already have rights to. Armor from Assassin's Creed? Silly night vision goggles from Splinter Cell? Maybe level peices and traps based on Prince of Persia? Or hell just straight up letting your character wear shirts with Rayman on it?

Think about that and tell me no one would buy that stuff.

Capitano Segnaposto:

gigastar:

SonicWaffle:

Yes, probably.

You'd be wrong. TB isn't a reviewer at all, and his pull in the pc gaming scene is significant. That video blew up Ubisoft's forums and lent credibility to every individual player who didn't want the game to become p2w.

Playtesters aren't going to change monetization plans. Ubisoft loves ruining their F2P games with ridiculous P2W schemes. Ghost Recon Online is a perfect example. They will absolutely go through with these types of changes unless there's a huge backlash in the playerbase, and a quarter of a million pc gamers watching TB trash their business model can be considered bad enough press to get them to backpeddle a bit.

Plunkies:

Capitano Segnaposto:

gigastar:

You'd be wrong. TB isn't a reviewer at all, and his pull in the pc gaming scene is significant. That video blew up Ubisoft's forums and lent credibility to every individual player who didn't want the game to become p2w.

Playtesters aren't going to change monetization plans. Ubisoft loves ruining their F2P games with ridiculous P2W schemes. Ghost Recon Online is a perfect example. They will absolutely go through with these types of changes unless there's a huge backlash in the playerbase, and a quarter of a million pc gamers watching TB trash their business model can be considered bad enough press to get them to backpeddle a bit.

You still proved my point. While TB may have been the catalyst, it was the players that changed it. Not him.

Thank god, I'm actually really looking forward to this game so I want to see it hit that sweet spot for a Free to Play model.
All you've got to do is give us some cosmetic items and options to play differently for cash without making it P2W.
Look how well that worked for League of Legends, after that what decides how much you make is how much people enjoy your game.

The Lunatic:
... closed beta?

They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

Inconceivable.

MinionJoe:

The Lunatic:
... closed beta?

They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

Inconceivable.

Clearly they're just "Beta testing" the monetizing features.

Capitano Segnaposto:

You still proved my point. While TB may have been the catalyst, it was the players that changed it. Not him.

You're certainly determined to give him zero credit based on your personal opinion, aren't you? I've given you an example of two Ubisoft games with p2w models and an upset playerbase, one with TB posting a heavily trafficked video trashing their business model and one that didn't. Changes were made in the former, changes weren't made in the latter. No one proved your point because you never had a point to begin with, just empty speculation based on incorrect statements that you made up yourself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here