BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea Returns to Rapture

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea Returns to Rapture

The first story DLC for BioShock Infinite will bring Booker and Elizabeth to the original Bioshock's underwater utopita.

As promised earlier this month Irrational games has dropped some info on the first DLC pack for Bioshock Infinite, in the form of a trailer. If you're still trying to wrap your head around Bioshock Infinite's ending, then the Burial At Sea DLC should only serve to confuse you further, as it seems to take place in yet another alternate universe, where Booker works as a private investigator in the original BioShock's underwater city of Rapture.

"Come back to Rapture in a story that finds Booker and Elizabeth on the eve of the underwater city's fall from grace," says Irrational, "this DLC features Rapture as you've never seen it before-a shining jewel at the bottom of the ocean, built almost entirely from scratch in the BioShock Infinite engine." It's rather startling to see Elizabeth, who's rather fitting nickname in Infinite was "the Lamb," as a cool and mature 1950's detective drama heroine.

It is certainly an interesting way to work DLC into Infinite's rather conclusive ending, and is a move that is sure to make long-time fans squeal with glee. Irrational promises that the DLC's gameplay has been modified to give the player a combat experience that merges the best parts of the original BioShock with BioShock Infinite, and the trailer itself suggests that we'll be seeing a return of some of BioShock's most iconic plasmids.

The DLC will be the first of two episodes, with Burial At Sea - Episode 2 allowing players to play as Elizabeth.

It is included in the BioShock Infinite Season Pass, which currently retails for $19.99 and bundles both episodes of Burial at Sea along with the Clash in the Clouds arena combat pack.

Source: Irrational Games

I would have preferred to have explored Columbia more but visiting Pre collapse Rapture will probably be very interesting.

Now that looks very cool.

I hope the standard of quality is high, as I expect much from these guys :D

Ohhhhh yeah, I remember...they WERE coming out with some DLC, weren't they? :P

I got pretty lucky. I preordered Infinite and the guy at GameStop actually gave me a code for the Season Pass for free. So yeah, I've eagerly been awaiting the DLC announcements for this game, and this one certainly didn't disappoint.

I'm surprised by this, but it is a good surprise, I was convinced that the first DLC would be Vox World Booker, the story of how he fell in with the Vox and how he died. Im also hoping that a future DLC will explore the gap in time between the songbird capturing Elizabeth and Booker reaching Comstock house. I'd love to see how Columbia went from the Vox winning to Elizabeth firm,y in control.

(I hope I don't sound ungrateful, talking about other things that I'd like to see, I really am looking forward to Burial at sea)

I just couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire trailer. It was laughter of a maniac who got everything he never knew even he wanted.

This is just so bloody brilliant and I feel I'll love every second of it.

Reminds me that I still have to bloody play Bioshock: Infinite *rings up cousin to bring it over soon*

It's a quasi-prequel-of-sorts? Now THIS should be interesting!

So if this is taking place before the fall, can we expect Booker and Elizabeth to run into Subject Delta and Eleanor at some point? That would be pretty freaky, what with the 2 "lambs" and all.

I wonder if it will make the novel canon.

This made me excited like an 8 year old in a candy shop. I can't wait. It sounds like an incredible idea. I wonder how long it's going to be, considering that it's just a DLC.

Karoshi:
I just couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire trailer. It was laughter of a maniac who got everything he never knew even he wanted.

This is just so bloody brilliant and I feel I'll love every second of it.

I know the feeling. I reacted the same way.

Hades:
I would have preferred to have explored Columbia more but visiting Pre collapse Rapture will probably be very interesting.

It would be nice to have a chance to save it.

Vault Citizen:
I'm surprised by this, but it is a good surprise, I was convinced that the first DLC would be Vox World Booker, the story of how he fell in with the Vox and how he died. Im also hoping that a future DLC will explore the gap in time between the songbird capturing Elizabeth and Booker reaching Comstock house. I'd love to see how Columbia went from the Vox winning to Elizabeth firm,y in control.

(I hope I don't sound ungrateful, talking about other things that I'd like to see, I really am looking forward to Burial at sea)

Naw I hear what you're saying. This isn't what I (or a LOT of people were expecting) but we'll gladly take it all the same. And it's not like they can't still use those scenarios to.
After all, the possibilities are...

puts on sunglasses

...Infinite

O wow. I wasn't expecting this... this sounds awesome.

I'm already sold just by being able to visit a pre-chaos rapture.

Still playing Infinate but damned happy more on the way and it does look very cool... hope the twins appear.

shutupandtakemymoney.gif

I AM THROWING MONEY AND MY CREDIT CARD AT THE SCREEN AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING! WHY?!

Erhm...

Colour me excited as hell. I loved all the Bioshock games and can't wait for this to combine both Rapture with Booker and Elizabeth.

Good times are waiting.

well, considering it's bundled in the 20 dollar season pass, I imagine it's not going to be a very long story campaign. Should still be interesting through to see an early Rapture.

I was expecting them to do a DLC based on alternate Columbia... but this actually sounds interesting... I'll have to look forward to this...

Aw, nobody is calling it DL-Sea? =P

Anyway, definitely hyped for this, since I've got the Season Pass :D

Hm, seems I made a good decision when buying the Season Pass for this game. :D
BioShock Infinite was actually the first ever game I've purchased a Season Pass for because I find Season Passes to be kinda dumb, but I made an exception and damn am I happy that I did.

Oh God... Why did they have to use that damned song?!? Now all I can think of is that inbred redneck family from the X-files episode "home"..... *shudder*

Seems like THIS time the season pass will be worth my money :)

I don't know. Part of the strength of Bioshock Infinite was that it didn't go back to Rapture and was it's own ding dong damn thing.

That said, it looks like it might be a more interesting take than Bioshock 2 which was just more of the same where being better just makes it seem worse. Seeing Rapture as a living city would be the fresh take that could be worthwhile. However, it is still just going back to Rapture. Like the Star Wars prequels, I can't help but think they won't be telling us anything we don't already know that isn't completely stupid.

Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!

Wish it wasn't in Rapture because Columbia had so much promise. With the alternate universe angle you could do all sorts of things, for example: Booker and our Liz fighting through a Columbia where the resident Liz is evil and is following Comstock's vision (I really liked that level's aesthetic, and evil!Liz). However, pre-collapse Rapture also sounds interesting, so color me excited.

Now to figure out how this fits into Infinite's story...

the antithesis:
I don't know. Part of the strength of Bioshock Infinite was that it didn't go back to Rapture and was it's own ding dong damn thing...However, it is still just going back to Rapture. Like the Star Wars prequels, I can't help but think they won't be telling us anything we don't already know that isn't completely stupid.

BIOSHOCK DEVS: We've written in a premise that allows for the existence of an infinite number of divergent worlds!

POTENTIAL CUSTOMER: So we're going to see all kinds of new settings in the DLC?

DEVS: Nah, we're going back to the other one we already built assets for.

Funny you bring up Star Wars--it's an irritation of mine that Star Wars takes place in a whole galaxy full of planets, but in Expanded Universe material they keep returning to the same half-dozen places over and over and over again. Especially Tatooine and Dagoba, which are expressly supposed to be little-known backwaters the galaxy at large doesn't care about! The reason the major characters of the franchise were there in the first place was to keep a low profile, and that's undermined when every other EU game or book has their characters pass through them.

Now Finally we know that the Season Pass will be fucking worth it!

Andy Shandy:
Aw, nobody is calling it DL-Sea? =P

O.O

That was bad... XD

OT: Looks interesting, I don't own the season pass but depending on how the DLC fares, I may get it.

1337mokro:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!

How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

Steven Bogos:

How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

*slaps*
Fool you get the Plasmids and I'll get the Vigors. We gotta be thematically appropriate about this. XD

Would be interesting if some of the people from Columbia came in and caused one of the first huge fights, resulting in a snowball effect which eventually leads to the fall of Rapture. Really I'd also like to explore Pre-Civil War Rapture instead of reading about it in the BioShock Rapture book (really good book by the way, I recommend reading it if you've not).

HELL DAMN YES DAMN

Loving the noir setting all up in here.

Never thought they'd get me to love this game even more.

Guess I was wrong.

With a bit of a spoiler warning if any of you has not had the pleasure of playing Infinite:

"There will always be a man and a city." - Elizabeth

We're going back to Rapture? Again? Fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two games and Rapture was certainly a fascinating and enjoyable location for those two games but I'm over Rapture now. The sight of it doesn't make we wet my pants out of excitement, Andrew Ryan has never struck me as the "BEST VIDEOGAME CHARACTER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS OR LIKE FOREVER AND I TOTALLY WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES" so I really don't care about the city's connection to him and most of all I just don't want to go through the whole it's-super-claustrophobic-because-it's-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean thing again - I like the open skies of Columbia.

Rapture is rapidly becoming BioShock's "In Space!" It's Booker and Elizabeth - in Rapture!

Well, whatever flimsy idea of a plot Infinite had just self destructed in on itself.

Will still play the hell out of this though.

Couldn't they have done the dlc on columbia, but on a stormy dark night ish theme so it still fits with a film noir feel to the dlc? Really don't want to go to rapture, and seeing old faces. Let bioshock 1 end as it was... just my 2 cents

Okay... I need to bring my expectations back down again, but wow. That was quite a surprise.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here