BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea Returns to Rapture

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Wellp, clash in the clouds sounds interesting (because I'm in the minority that liked the combat in Infinite); but I can certainly agree with those who are cautiously pessimistic about returning to Rapture.

It's essentially the developers saying, "Yeah, so we made this incredible sky-city Columbia and left it ripe for expanding on the themes and icon-OH FUCK IT let's go back to Rapture. Fans like that, right?"

At this point it's kind of irrelevant whether it turns out to be good or not, because Rapture has ultimately fulfilled it's purpose and - dare I say it - I don't think it has anything left to show us.

Be interesting to see whether Irrational made this as a DLC obligation to the publisher, or whether they intended to revisit Rapture with a new story that would have been out of place in Infinite.

Personally, I probably won't be going for it. Much as I like Booker & Elizabeth; Columbia being overlooked in favour of Rapture is a disappointment, and that's not even taking into consideration how much that ending changes things in terms of revisiting the game.

I squee'd as much as any Bioshock fan when

But that's not enough to carry a whole DLC on.

Edit: So I've just seen that trailer.

Huh...perhaps you can colour me interested. Seeing a populated, pre-cataclysm Rapture sparked my interest. Though I can see the aesthetic being thrown out of the window if it ends up being combat-heavy. Might have to wait and see on this one.

Dammit. BioShock Infinite's story/ending really pissed me off, I found it predictable, nonsensical and cliched - I sat through most of the game hoping they wouldn't do what I thought they'd do, but they did. So I was full ready to not get DLC.

But now they've got Elizabeth as the femme fatale to Booker's noir detective in pre-collapse Rapture? That goes a long way towards buying my goodwill.

Zeckt:
I wonder if it will make the novel canon.

Novel?

To all the people who are getting excited about seeing a pre-collapse Rapture: did you even see the calender on Booker's desk? No?

Here's a hint: all that pre-fall ain't gonna last long at all.

Smiley Face:
Dammit. BioShock Infinite's story/ending really pissed me off, I found it predictable, nonsensical and cliched - I sat through most of the game hoping they wouldn't do what I thought they'd do, but they did. So I was full ready to not get DLC.

But now they've got Elizabeth as the femme fatale to Booker's noir detective in pre-collapse Rapture? That goes a long way towards buying my goodwill.

Yeah I'm with you 100% on that one. I think Bioshock 2 is a better game than Infinite. I also think Bioshock 2 should not exist if that tells you anything. However, the cynicism I approached this video with was wiped clean by the end. This is looking pretty good.

Calling it right now, this DLC will end with Booker being turned into the Songbird, and Comstock taking him to Columbia to protect "his" Elizabeth.

OK this isn't what I was expecting but, damn, I've wanted to see pre-collapse Rapture ever since the first Bioshock game. Colour me excited about this one. The trailer looks pretty damn stylish too.

I didn't even like Infinite that much back when I rented it but I'm actually now tempted to buy it, just because this DLC looks so amazing.

Steven Bogos:

1337mokro:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!

How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

What do you mean? Did you think I was being sarcastic?

No it's wonderful that they basically ignore there last game like it never happened and are just catering to what will sell. At least now they can drop the pretension of being more than just another studio pumping out games.

An Ceannaire:

Zeckt:

Novel?

Yeah, there is a novel called BioShock Rapture that was written a while back. The person who wrote it talked with the team at Irrational before adding some points in to make it true to the BioShock lore. It tells of Andrew Ryan's early life and goes up to the Civil War that broke out in Rapture. It focuses on some of the minor characters as well. It's a really good book and if you like BioShock then you'll love the novel.

And yet it will be nothing except military style gameplay with big words thrown in the dialogue.

Good thing I traded in my copy of this.

1337mokro:

Steven Bogos:

1337mokro:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!

How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

No it's wonderful that they basically ignore there last game like it never happened and are just catering to what will sell. At least now they can drop the pretension of being more than just another studio pumping out games.

They didn't. I won't give out any spoilers, but the world of Rapture and Columbia are related. People have been clamoring for a peek on what Rapture looked like before it went to hell, and Infinite gave the developers the avenue for it. The DLC is entirely within the lore of the Bioshock universe. Think of it has a best of both worlds; Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting.

NemotheElvenPanda:

1337mokro:

Steven Bogos:

They didn't. I won't give out any spoilers, but the world of Rapture and Columbia are related. People have been clamoring for a peek on what Rapture looked like before it went to hell, and Infinite gave the developers the avenue for it. The DLC is entirely within the lore of the Bioshock universe. Think of it has a best of both worlds; Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting.

Dude I played the game. Why would I be commenting about DLC for a game I didn't play in the first place? Plot contrivances and shoddy science aside that for me was really a low point in the game (which I didn't like in the first place) where they basically went "See we really are a Bioshock game! Now go on the internet and write about the OMG moment where you saw something you liked from the past".

I wouldn't call them the best characters. They are more archetypes with not really characteristics as quirks and traits that are overemphasized. Bioshock had far more interesting persona's in it. What would be far more interesting is if a rift opened to Columbia and splicers started to invade. There were glimpses of characters but these glimpses round up to about 10 minutes of the entire game.

Now THAT is how you do DLC for a story you thought was pretty tied up.

I actually like the idea of Booker and Elizabeth being perpetual characters in different universes... it's sort of got a Link & Zelda vibe to it. Re-imagining of characters in different scenarios, the ultimate exploration of the theme of "what if?".

...excuse me, I need to go clean my keyboard now. And my desk. And my monitor. And my chair. And... and you know what? I think I'm just gonna finish this post up on another computer.

Ah, that's better. Holy hell, my hype-o-meter just exploded. We're going back to Rapture? A pre-war Rapture? A film-noir-style Rapture?

Does this mean... we get to hear more of Andrew Ryan's sweet, sweet voice? My god... I don't even think I can handle this right now.

i'm unofficially naming this "FULL CIRCLE BABY"

they better not screw this up lol

Really surprised at the amount if hate going on in this thread. This is Ken fucking Levine here, a noir detective Booker and femme fatale Elizabeth? More emphasis on exploration and mystery? A return to Rapture with all new art assets and possibly some new plasmids? I'm excited for that. I'm really excited for that. That bit at the end clinched it for me, seeing Booker light Elizabeth's cigarette like that made me sure that the team at irrational nailed the atmosphere and style they were clearly going for.

In the immortal words of Hank Moody...

"And I'm hard!"

CrazyGirl17:
I was expecting them to do a DLC based on alternate Columbia... but this actually sounds interesting... I'll have to look forward to this...

If you think about it a certain way, Rapture IS an alternate Columbia.

Or is Columbia an alternate Rapture? (stop it brain, we did this once before.)

Azure23:
Snip

I agree with what you said almost 100%, but you need to edit out that last part ASAP. Calling people trolls is frowned upon here. Also I wouldn't call what he said "trolling". Arrogant and jaded yes, trolling no.

roushutsu:
So if this is taking place before the fall, can we expect Booker and Elizabeth to run into Subject Delta and Eleanor at some point? That would be pretty freaky, what with the 2 "lambs" and all.

I think that would be a VERY kick-ass cameo. Of course at this point Eleanor would still be a Little Sister so you wouldn't really be able to recognize her from the other Little Sisters, but maybe you'll pass through a lab or something where the prototype Delta is being tested.

Personally I never understood why people hated on BS2 so much, I thought it was a really enjoyable game. And no matter how much people complain about it, the fact remains that Infinite's story is almost exactly the same as BS 2's and given the ending to Infinite I'm almost positive that it's completely intentional.

Edit:
Now what would REALLY kick ass is if Elizabeth can "summon" a Big Daddy or two in future DLC taking place back in Columbia. I was honestly pretty surprised they never threw us that particular bone just once - like a hidden Tear on the final Airship battle that you could open up to bust out a Bouncer - in the main story itself.

Azure23:

RaikuFA:
And yet it will be nothing except military style gameplay with big words thrown in the dialogue.

Good thing I traded in my copy of this.

Good thing our troops have those standard issue flesh eating raven cannons, and they're packing those new M-82 magic water
Tentacles. Military style gameplay? Troll much bro?

I don't know about you buddy, but my hands are always on fire.

Always.

(Always)

OT:
Heeeey, an excuse to play Bioshock again! Woo!

Looks good. Older Elizabeth looks pretty badass.
CAPTCHA: propane accessories

yeah? Your hands also always on fire?

See what I mean, it's common.

I screamed like a little school girl when I saw this trailer... And I'm not ashamed of it. Can't wait and cannot contain excitement. Excitement overloading. Excitement reached critical levels. *boom*

This is interesting...but also kinda odd. We really don't need to see Rapture in it's prime, and I don't know if I even want to. I think it's so more interesting imagining it than it will be to see it. I dunno, I guess I'll just have to wait until it comes out. But right now I'm skeptical. I'm sure they won't screw it up, Infinite was amazing, but I still don't know if this was the right way to go.

Then again, I don't particularly want a DLC to explore more of Columbia, as I feel like that story's already been told to the fullest.

Sooo... Does it still have a 2 weapon limit in this DLC? If yes then I'll pass.

NemotheElvenPanda:
Think of it has a best of both worlds; Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting.

Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting with Bioshock's worst and most boring gameplay. It is not the best of both worlds. It is 'two okay-ish things with the worst of the newest'.

Well, considering that no plot set in either Columbia or Rapture can have any lasting effect on the canon, I'm actually looking forward to this one. Since it's set before "the fall", the only way this can end is death or escape.

What I want to know is if this is the Rapture from Bioshock, or an alternate Rapture all-together. Nothing in the current canon prevents this from taking place in Rapture-Prime.

Looks interesting, but unless there's an actual boss battle against Songbird in one of these DLCs at some point, I'm not going to rush out to get it day 1. I'll probably wait until they're on sale.

Captcha: Skynet is watching.

The Captchas are starting to get a little creepy...

Brian Tams:

CrazyGirl17:
I was expecting them to do a DLC based on alternate Columbia... but this actually sounds interesting... I'll have to look forward to this...

If you think about it a certain way, Rapture IS an alternate Columbia.

Or is Columbia an alternate Rapture? (stop it brain, we did this once before.)

Clearly, if B is an alternative to A, then A is an alternative to B also.

OT: Hyped. Hypedhypedhyped. Shame I've not got either a season pass, or money.

Zeckt:

I thought it already was, but hopefully it will if it hasn't.

OT: THE BLOODY RELEASE DATE! That's what everyone came here for! Give it to us!

I going to be one to go with "SQUEEEEEEE!" I love rapture more than columbia. Columbia is alright for an open spectacle and all, but Rapture is far more gritty and surreal. There's just something special about it being a grand hidden alcove of a secret. A whole other world where there shouldn't be one, set apart from the normality above. One that could literally drown and be crushed if things don't work correctly. It easily lends itself to an unprecedented setting of ruin and doom. Columbia by comparison is just a happy dreamtown floating in the air. I just love rapture more.

And I love the gameplay in Bio 1+2 much more than infinite. It's going to be nice to go back to turrets, security cameras, and weapons that aren't all just generic guns and ammunition. Infinite's gameplay was notably bland in comparison.

1337mokro:

Did you collect all the audio files in Bioshock 1? I'm just asking because they leave little, to nothing, to imagination.

OT- I'm... hesitant. Yes I believe that is the right word. If they are not carful they could completely screw up the awesome *spoiler* plot development. You know what I'm talking about. Constants and variables... I'm more concerned with the news that you will be playing as Elizabeth in the second part of this DLC.

Sarge034:

1337mokro:

Did you collect all the audio files in Bioshock 1? I'm just asking because they leave little, to nothing, to imagination.

OT- I'm... hesitant. Yes I believe that is the right word. If they are not carful they could completely screw up the awesome *spoiler* plot development. You know what I'm talking about. Constants and variables... I'm more concerned with the news that you will be playing as Elizabeth in the second part of this DLC.

Yes I did and if you honestly want to claim that a bunch of audiofiles about the events (which do get explained) are enough to destroy the mystery about the place then I can't help but laugh. You know almost how it happened. You know about the shoot out in the bar, the political killings, the riots, the creation of the little sisters and so on. However you have no idea what Rapture looked like. You have no idea how the events actually took place.

All that is still your imagination, which is why Audiofiles and not Videofiles work so well.

1337mokro:
Yes I did and if you honestly want to claim that a bunch of audiofiles about the events (which do get explained) are enough to destroy the mystery about the place then I can't help but laugh. You know almost how it happened. You know about the shoot out in the bar, the political killings, the riots, the creation of the little sisters and so on. However you have no idea what Rapture looked like. You have no idea how the events actually took place.

All that is still your imagination, which is why Audiofiles and not Videofiles work so well.

That is a little different than what you originally said. You said, "Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time." I was confused because there was no mystery if you collected all of the audiofiles. They did carefully explain how Rapture ended up being that way.

Your argument has now morphed into the "I read the book, but those bastards are turning it into a movie" mindset. You feel the portrayal of the pre-fall Rapture will not hold up to your imagination, and that's ok. Just don't buy it, play it, or watch video of it. Your imagination will remain unsoiled and the rest of us who think this is an interesting idea can see how it plays out.

Sarge034:

1337mokro:

That is a little different than what you originally said. You said, "Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time." I was confused because there was no mystery if you collected all of the audiofiles. They did carefully explain how Rapture ended up being that way.

Your argument has now morphed into the "I read the book, but those bastards are turning it into a movie" mindset. You feel the portrayal of the pre-fall Rapture will not hold up to your imagination, and that's ok. Just don't buy it, play it, or watch video of it. Your imagination will remain unsoiled and the rest of us who think this is an interesting idea can see how it plays out.

They explained it in broad strokes.

Ryan couldn't handle his objectivism biting him in the ass and a civil war broke out. You can sum up the why in a single sentence.

The how is a different matter. We had to imagine the riots. Imagine how poorly off the working class was and the conditions they lived in pre-fall. The sneaking about the political maneuvering and so on, all in the mind. If I had to equate it to anything it's basically imagining what happens in between comic panels.

Now however we are basically going to be Ryan's errand boy in search for some special item I guess. I know nothing of the game's story after all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)