US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

major_chaos:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
it doesn't resort to annoying humor

That's subjective. Personally my desire to kill another living thing increases rapidly if I'm am exposed to pinky pie for more than a few nanoseconds. On the plus side, the creepy fandom obligingly produces a great number of pictures where she dies in horrible ways.

OT: What is this I don't even. Also gotta love the bronies doing that lovely "I dismiss your opinion because you must be too insecure in your masculinity to like girly things" thing. No I don't hate your show because I'm "insecure in my masculinity", I hate it because it doesn't give me a reason to watch it. its not funny, there is no drama, no tension, no character development, just an annoying one note cast and "plots" that I can predict in detail from the start. And lets not get into the animation errors so glaring and constant that my 13 year old sister can point them out several times per episode. Although I will say the contrast of the motto of "love and tolerate" and the MO of hostility makes the fandom amusing to me.

Every fanbase has terrible people in it. It's like saying every single person who plays Call of Duty is a 10-year old foulmouth psycho or everyone who plays WoW has no self-control and bad hygiene.

Every criticism you levy can be said about every single show for kids on the market. Why single out MLP for hate?

I honestly don't see the point in posting this. It's not video game news and it just starts stupid shit like "I don't understand why people like it" and then get people who rush to its defense and all that stupidity.

the clockmaker:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.

They can make fun all they want, people in the air force get paid more and pretty much everything available for them is much nicer.

For a long time now, I've been following the "Military Bronies" page on Facebook, and the main admin is a HARDCORE Brony who is in the Air Force. He must be losing his mind at this news! XD

This is cool though; I always liked bringing up the men and women fighting in foreign countries as examples for liking the show not being a dirty or emasculating thing. That it's just a good show that's liked by all types of people all over most of the world.

while there are some pretty far out patches ive seen, this one takes the cake. im actually quite impressed a whole squadron agreed to it. keep in mind that anyone in a flight suit collects patches like candy though, its not like theyre the definitive brony squadron now. besides, the wonderbolts are based off the blue angels, who are navy. so as a sailor whose job is aviation, my new mission is clear!

The news story is mildly amusing, for sure. The discussion that's happening in the comments though? I'm actually a little surprised that there's still people getting uppity about the damn show. And this is from a person that actually got a bit bothered about it at the peak of the show's popularity in 2011. I'll be honest here: I used to get really irritated by the fans of the show, but the thing is that's when there were people that were ridiculously rabid about the show. That would reskin entire unrelated websites in ponies, and would do anything to make you be a fan of the show. However, those people calmed down, and so did I. The show just eventually melted into the background for me, and as such I don't mind a pony-related thing such as this story, especially if it's as tasteful and humorous as this story is. The people that still get pissed about this show's existence need to calm the fuck down. The fans are not the "rabid infection" that is "infesting every little corner of the internet". The pony fans have clamed down, so now it's your turn to reciprocate.

ADHD version:

kortin:
I honestly don't see the point in posting this. It's not video game news and it just starts stupid shit like "I don't understand why people like it" and then get people who rush to its defense and all that stupidity.

the clockmaker:

They can make fun all they want, people in the air force get paid more and pretty much everything available for them is much nicer.

Because this is a games and entertainment website.

Plus, everything wouldn't go to hell in the comments section if people could resist the urge to click on a thread about a series they obviously don't like and start attacking people.

TopazFusion:

Xariat:
I don't care much for ponies or bronies or whatever, I'm just wondering everything mlp related is still such a big deal. It's been like 3 years? you'd think the respective parties in the "debate" would have settled down by now. I mean every time mlp stuff get's posted both sides brings out the usual and old arguments; "it's a show for girls" "you're just to insecure to like it" "it's gay" "you just don't get it" and so on and so on. Are we not bored of this yet?

I agree. It's disappointing to see the same song and dance, every time one of these threads gets posted.

Would you believe that MLP was actually a banned topic at the last Escapist Expo?
No one was allowed to talk about it or even mention it, because it's such a shitstorm-inducing topic here.

Lord knows how people discussing this would react if they had physical access to each other. They'd be at each other's throats, quite literally.

That's a depressing thought. Bloodshed over a little girl's TV show. A real shining example of just how "far" we've gotten as a species as a whole. That's real misanthropic fuel right there.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Every fanbase has terrible people in it.

The irony here is that I was including you in the statement about hostile fans. If you don't get wrathed for some of your post earlier in this thread I'm going to question the impartiality of the moderators.

Every criticism you levy can be said about every single show for kids on the market. Why single out MLP for hate?

Because not one single other cartoon I can think of has a fan base that is this loud and obsessive(and in some cases creepy). The more I see people giving something an unquestioning tongue bath, the more I'm inclined to vocally dislike it. Its what took my opinion on the Last of Us from "might not buy" to "no sale".

kortin:

the clockmaker:

Speaking from experience, they are kinda like the spoiled kids who, instead of going camping, put up a poster of a tree and then tell everyone how they are basically special forces.

Also, in my country, all three services get paid pretty much the same, its just in terms of treatment that the air force gets coddled.

EDIT,
actually, I'm gonna clarify this for non-green people. When I say we laugh at the air force, it is in good humour, just as we make fun of people in the navy for their adorable sailor outfits and the navy and the air force make fun of us for all being knuckle dragging idiots. We all work together, we all are on the same team and we are all professionals who happen to poke fun at each other with broad, in no way totally accurate stereotypes.

The brony squadron? What will they think of next? The fly-a-tubbies?

talker:
The brony squadron? What will they think of next? The fly-a-tubbies?

Shhh... Don't give them any ideas, damnit!

TopazFusion:

Xariat:
I don't care much for ponies or bronies or whatever, I'm just wondering everything mlp related is still such a big deal. It's been like 3 years? you'd think the respective parties in the "debate" would have settled down by now. I mean every time mlp stuff get's posted both sides brings out the usual and old arguments; "it's a show for girls" "you're just to insecure to like it" "it's gay" "you just don't get it" and so on and so on. Are we not bored of this yet?

I agree. It's disappointing to see the same song and dance, every time one of these threads gets posted.

Would you believe that MLP was actually a banned topic at the last Escapist Expo?
No one was allowed to talk about it or even mention it, because it's such a shitstorm-inducing topic here.

Lord knows how people discussing this would react if they had physical access to each other. They'd be at each other's throats, quite literally.

It was a banned topic? Really? There is so much vitriol over a children's television show that a convention had to ban talking about it, actually put that down in the rules, because there was a chance fights might break out over it?

Well, my opinion of humanity just fell another tier right there. I was in a good mood too, but now I'm actually kinda depressed. I mean, I'll admit I liked the show around it's hayday (stopped watching once Lauren Faust was no longer working on it), but it certainly wasn't anything so groundbreaking as to cause this much hate.

They have infiltrated The air force. now we are doomed to be slaves to those talking horses.

ANd yes, i dont like the show. Now i dont care what you consider manly or not manly, i think the show is plainly boring. But i guess its a fashion statement now.

Ferisar:

synobal:
Why do grown men live this stuff, can anyone explain?

Why do grown men like anything, it's a mystery.

why are men "grown" instead of say, grow up naturally.....
its a mistery, time for scooby doo.... wait... wrong show....

major_chaos:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Every fanbase has terrible people in it.

The irony here is that I was including you in the statement about hostile fans. If you don't get wrathed for some of your post earlier in this thread I'm going to question the impartiality of the moderators.

Because not one single other cartoon I can think of has a fan base that is this loud and obsessive(and in some cases creepy). The more I see people giving something an unquestioning tongue bath, the more I'm inclined to vocally dislike it. Its what took my opinion on the Last of Us from "might not buy" to "no sale".

Care to show me an example of my hostility? I've been doing nothing but helping solve these problems.

That's simultaneously cool, weird and seemingly pointless. But hey, doesn't that characterize everything about everything?

XandNobody:

TopazFusion:

Xariat:

It was a banned topic? Really? There is so much vitriol over a children's television show that a convention had to ban talking about it, actually put that down in the rules, because there was a chance fights might break out over it?

Well, my opinion of humanity just fell another tier right there. I was in a good mood too, but now I'm actually kinda depressed. I mean, I'll admit I liked the show around it's hayday (stopped watching once Lauren Faust was no longer working on it), but it certainly wasn't anything so groundbreaking as to cause this much hate.

Apparently it is. Nothing amuses me more than seeing what could be intelligent conversation on the subject descend into another collection of bad arguments and reaction images from both sides. The arguments are worn, yet everyone feels the need to keep beating the horse. And really, it all comes down to one group liking something the other doesn't.

The one and only concession I will give is that there is definitely a selection of fans that post crap over every forum. Even as a fan, it annoys me to no end. But the creativity they display when "converting" other popular cultural icons, I find very amusing in a good way. But hell, the "Friendship is magic, magic is Heresy" pic further up was the funniest thing I came across today, and made my day.

That pilots in the Air Force have embraced it, is nothing to get worked up about. They even stated that it was done ironically. As long as they continue fighting for our country, I don't give a damn what patch they wear, or if it was only chosen to get a laugh.

For me, its more the mob mentality that only non-FiM fans dislike bronies as a sub-subculture, just like I didn't like being called a Narutard (though don't even like it anymore), Trekkie, Weeaboo/Otaku...which I actually was once..., and well never look at the abyss of Sonic fandom past the games.

Being part of a fanbase is a fun thing, but in general is nothing special, so I don't get why MLP lovers and "haters" make it a deal. To me at least, that's a good reason why people dislike hearing ever-positive news about it, because it got so over-saturated to the point of denial of anything bad happening in it.
I wouldn't see the problem if shenanigans like:
- People losing themselves over a bad light in a convention as a genuine attack
- Derpy Hooves having a name that doesn't in combination with her lazy eye implies that she's retarded being a BAD thing
- Alicorn drama
Got brought up too as self-deprecating humor without outing those specific fans.

On that note, seriously, I'm starting to think people truly unironically say you're jealous for not liking ponies. That and people saying MLP's faults could go with Avatar and Gravity Falls? Man...

Speaking of military doing references.

Huh, that's pretty cool.

I don't like MLP myself, it makes me cringe more than it makes me smile, but it's still part of geek culture, so it's a nice gesture.

I get why some people dislike it(assuming they've seen it). It's pretty inane and the high pitched voices can make your teeth snap in half. But there are qualities in it that some people appreciate and believe are important, so they get to see animated characters bring it out.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Care to show me an example of my hostility? I've been doing nothing but helping solve these problems.

K:

*stupid overused image*

I would say you need to learn to grow up past pull-ups, but I doubt you'll be around to take it.

For instance, check out the 6-year old with the Warhammer pics.

*lolmoreimages*
I think you lack maturity. Ironic for someone railing against something they deem immature...

I don't care what you think of the guy's opinion, "lol grow up kid" down there with "u mad" and "your mom" as something that is pointless to a conversation.

MoeMints:

On that note, seriously, I'm starting to think people truly unironically say you're jealous for not liking ponies. That and people saying MLP's faults could go with Avatar and Gravity Falls? Man...

This,I am fine with you liking what you like,but acting like everyone should is wrong.And people hating the show probably should chill too,seriously these are pretty aggressive.

OT:
If this paves the way for an actual public security section 9 I'm down.

major_chaos:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

K:

*stupid overused image*

I would say you need to learn to grow up past pull-ups, but I doubt you'll be around to take it.

For instance, check out the 6-year old with the Warhammer pics.

*lolmoreimages*
I think you lack maturity. Ironic for someone railing against something they deem immature...

I don't care what you think of the guy's opinion, "lol grow up kid" down there with "u mad" and "your mom" as something that is pointless to a conversation.

You're really putting the call for someone to grow up on the same level as:

I don't care about any argument made in favor of this bullshit. The ponies are an infectious plague, and will be dealt with as such.

and

I will no longer just let you be or put up with letting you like what you like. It's infectious bullshit, it's heresy, it's childish and stupid, and it's no longer tolerable. All of you pony fags need to crawl back into whatever yawning abyss you came from and leave the rest of us alone.

Really? REALLY?

When your response to a thread about ponies it to throw around mutilation pics and homophobic slurs, you NEED TO GROW UP

EDIT: Oops, forgot one:

Proving my point to a "T". Fuck off.

Yeah... what I said was totally on the same level...

MoeMints:
For me, its more the mob mentality that only non-FiM fans dislike bronies as a sub-subculture, just like I didn't like being called a Narutard (though don't even like it anymore), Trekkie, Weeaboo/Otaku...which I actually was once..., and well never look at the abyss of Sonic fandom past the games.

Being part of a fanbase is a fun thing, but in general is nothing special, so I don't get why MLP lovers and "haters" make it a deal. To me at least, that's a good reason why people dislike hearing ever-positive news about it, because it got so over-saturated to the point of denial of anything bad happening in it.
I wouldn't see the problem if shenanigans like:
- People losing themselves over a bad light in a convention as a genuine attack
- Derpy Hooves having a name that doesn't in combination with her lazy eye implies that she's retarded being a BAD thing
- Alicorn drama
Got brought up too as self-deprecating humor without outing those specific fans.

Speaking of military doing references.

You realize you picked two of three best animated programs on the planet (Phineas and Ferb being the third)... not the other 90% of the dreck, right? Should I have clarified that MLP's faults can be found in 90% of all children's programs, and almost 99% for the intended age group?

Genocidicles:

I watched a couple of episodes, and I found it to be a boring piece of shit that is too girly to the detriment of the plot.

Oh they stop the bad guy by making friends with him. Well that was sure worth the twenty minutes building it up. /sarcasm

Hmm, Discord got turned to stone and then later Fluttershy tamed him so it couldn't be him, Sombra got blown the fuck up, Nightmare Moon, Queen Chrysalis, and Sunset Shimmer are all women so you can't be talking about main villains.
Iron Will was more just a force than a villain and wasn't befriended, the red dragon got kicked out of his house and not befriended, Rainbow's bullies weren't befriended and also weren't really villains, just a source to voice her insecurities...

I mean, not to call you a liar or anything, maybe I'm just sleepy and can't remember, but I can't think of a single male villain that gets befriended by the Mane Six at any point in the course of the three seasons and one movie that have happened thus far. Care to explain what episodes in specific you've watched?

OT: Good for them, I guess, though that badge is pretty weaksauce.
Though military bronies aren't really all that newsy, since back when I first joined there were Rainbow Dashes drawn onto military bunks in Germany and the like.

Though the fact that someone in the chain of command was brought this request and approved it is very lol worthy.

Muh, they can do as they please I guess =p. Seems pretty much in line with the wacky stories from my friend who just came back from working for the Norwegian Military Police. The nonsense that goes on in army bases... The same day they got their handcuffs half the base ended up cuffed to fences, beds and lockers... It seems they aren't even fans of the show really, just having fun and being silly. Sounds about right to me X3.

I don't mind MLP fans or any other fandom really, they can like what they like as long as nobody gets hurt! I do mind it a bit when people mistake me for one, becuase I just like plain old regular ponies! I don't want people asuming I know what it's all about because I haven't seen a single episode, and I don't want people "hating" (uugh) on me for being a Brony or whatever the female equivalent is.

bibblles:
-nom-

OMG your big burly supersoldier toys killing the shit out of those cartoon pony toys is so manly D=. Let's be perfectly honest here, 40k is a 10-year-olds idea of mature and grown up, seriously... I have no problem with Warhammer fans, like I said they can like what they like, but lets not dress it up as the ultimate manly hobby. It's painting plastic miniatures, playing tabletop games and reading bad fiction! It's fun, certainly, I even have a little Tau army of plastic toys that get destroyed by better players, and I'm having a good time doing that.

My Little Bronie: Yiffing Is Magic?

But in all seriousness, WHY?

Worgen:
It does sounds like you are too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colorful ponies. Seriously, that sounds like your argument. "Men should only like manly things." My argument is "if you always take the path of least resistance, are you really a man?"

Yes. Either way, you're still a man. Do you identify as male? Then you're a bloke whether you like ponies or, fuck knows, drinking beer and rasslin' in the nude with other guys in a totally heterosexual way.

The whole idea that "X is manly, Y is not" spawns a lot of the stupid shit surrounding the Bronomenon, as defenders and detractors both make assertions that their masculinity is greater/lesser because they watch/don't watch the show. This is why you get people like the users on Conservapedia claiming that atheists aren't real men and that they "lack machismo"; some silly need to prove that what someone likes makes them more or less of a man and therefore being more closely identified with your traditional gender role makes you a better human being.

It's silly, and it ought to stop. Watching ponies makes you no more nor less of a man, it just makes you a man who likes to watch ponies.

Radoh:
snip

It was one of the Discord ones. It didn't end with him being turned to stone.

They made friends at the end and he turned good, or less evil. At least that's what it looked like to me. I'm not in a hurry to re watch it any time soon.

Worgen:
Ha, I was right, not manly enough to be able to enjoy ponies.

So you're incapable of liking anything unless its got a head on a pike? What a sad way to live your life. You seem to have a very juvenile idea of manly, I image you think that god of war is the most manly thing ever created.

No, it doesn't have to be filled to the brim with gore and violence for me to watch it. It just needs to have some decent conflict resolution. Making friends with the bad guy is not that.

Alrighty.

I'm going to just say - that i'm really disappointed guys. It's an article about the Air Force squad needing an inspiration, a gig to make them laugh since they're risking their lives which is tense, thus even the article stated that they're not really fans of the show. Yet, not even a few posts in... there's a flame war.

The Escapist to me is a great website because a lot of people on here are unique intellects with a lot of insight and worthy things to say. It saddens me to see such behavior and though I won't judge anybody, I really would like people to get along. It's not about whether MLP is a great show or the reasons one should hate it... but rather, respect people's opinions and tastes. If someone dislikes the show, that's perfectly okay. If someone loves it, there is no need to be upset.

If the Air Force chose say, a Powerpuff Girls patch or say, Adventure Time patch- people wouldn't be upset. But because it's MLP perhaps the most loved/hated thing around, it always starts something.

I like MLP, but I am not much of a fan anymore. I understand why people dislike it too, along with people not enjoying the Bronies even more but- it's not about 'love and tolerance' but rather accepting we're all people who have something to say. I would like to see respect towards the Air Force squad, since it's not a thread about them killing innocents or the squad dying horribly. Instead, it's a light hearted thread about "Hey a cartoon show got approved for the Air Force to wear as patches". That's pretty cool regardless what show it's based on.

The debates i've seen on this thread is really despressing. Because it's going no where and no one is accepting the other with any form of respect. Please, if you care or have a heart just shake hands and know why you're here in this thread. To comment on the topic at hand, and state your opinion. That's all I got to say guys...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

You realize you picked two of three best animated programs on the planet (Phineas and Ferb being the third)... not the other 90% of the dreck, right? Should I have clarified that MLP's faults can be found in 90% of all children's programs, and almost 99% for the intended age group?

I don't see how that isn't downplaying his legitimacy for what's already a subjective opinion regardless.

I watch a series where the embodiment fuel of the main villain and monster of the weeks are even the vaguest and most human of faults.
Guy who was never introduced besides a background character : "Oh, I really dislike that this line is taking so dang long, but that would rather be selfish, wouldn't it?"
Recurring Villain Summoner :"HHE ALREADY CORRECTED HERSELF? Eh, for some strange reason, that's still enough to get a GIANT ENEMY CRAB out of the utter hate of inconvenience."

I don't mind if people dislike it for the technicolor designs which aren't even my favorite of the franchise, the hammy friendship obsession, and the busybody lead character. Since even if someone does the exact same thing like Kamen Rider or Power Rangers/Super Sentai, the execution and combination of the same faults have different context and appeal.

There's a point where you're also giving no reason to not just watch the shows with the same faults and why it shouldn't be considered this amazing thing.

Also I liked Kick Buttowski, Sym-bionic Titan, and Motorcity WAAAAAAAY more than Phineas and Ferb.

EDIT: Also numerous experiences has told me just holding hands and expecting happiness throughout has lead to the most dreadful things I've witness.
For example, just about every anime club I've been apart of.

I think its an interesting development for the air force, and to be honest, if it helps inspire a sense of community, cooperation, and a better attitude, who are we to say whats right or wrong?

As a kind of off-topic bit, this post reminded me of one of the first games (and by extension anime) I ended up playing. My dad was waaay into military games and bought U.N. Squadron for the SNES in my youth. I loved that game and found out later it was a localization of the game based on an anime called Area 88.

ANYWAY, to the point, the main character painted the following image on his plane.
Kinda funny when I thought about it. When I rediscovered this game, I grabbed my current avatar and replaced my steam avatar with it, you'd be surprised how many peeps assumed it had to do with MLP and took exception to that during Team Fortress 2 games

Genocidicles:

Worgen:
So your saying the pilots in your country are too wussy to like ponies? Its ok, not every county can be manly.

Oh here we go...

The old "You're just too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colourful ponies" argument.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a show that is literally made to sell little plastic horses to little girls. Like it if you want, but don't act like you're some kind of paragon of masculinity for doing so.

I am not going through pages of posts to see if I am repeating someone else. If I am, I am sorry.

The 1980s TV show was cheaply made to sell cheaply made plastic ponies.

The 2010s show is a well written show created by one of the most talented animation writers in recent history. It has high production values, and even higher writing standards.

I can understand the error, you might not have known about the new show. I normally do not say this (piracy is wrong) go to YouTube and look it up. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING LABELED AS "CUPCAKES" (the horror, the horror)

Fanghawk:
US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Wonderbolts

Image Source: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
It turns out that My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic inspires students literally training to fly at supersonic speeds.

While I've never personally seen an episode, there's a lot of love out there for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The cartoon's popularity has grown by leaps and bounds since it launched four years ago, and even our own Moviebob admits that it's a cleverly well-written series. In fact, My Little Pony is so influential that even those who defend real-world airspaces are inspired by its message of teamwork. Fansite Equestria Daily recently reported that an entire Air Force unit was spotted wearing patches that suspiciously mimicked the cartoon's trademark logo. An Vance Air Force Base spokesman later confirmed that its airmen-in-training are indeed sporting pony patches, and went on to justify the apparel like a true brony.

"We train world-class pilots who will go on to defend our great nation," said First Lieutenant Tom Barger. "Fostering camaraderie, morale and unity on a regular basis and through small means - like a tastefully humorous patch - enhances our ability to complete the mission when working as a team is essential."

Vance Air Force Base is one of four locations where officers train to become professional pilots for the Armed Forces. Shortly after arriving, each group of students designs their class patch to be worn during training, and pop culture references are naturally common. Hangover, Facebook, and "Got Milk" designs have all been used in the past, but this time Hasbro was the only company that approved one Friendship Is Magic-inspired logo. "During a slide show presentation while previewing the different patch options, the presenter threw the 'My Little Pilot' patch design into the mix as a joke," Barger explained. "For whatever reason, that patch made it all the way through the approval process." And so, even though the students weren't actually My Little Pony fans, the Brony Squadron was born.

"The class never really wanted it in the first place," Barger stated, although over time the squadron grew to appreciated the companionship its design implied. "They thought it was so off the wall that it was hilarious ... They have embraced the irony and humor of the patch and in so doing have fostered closer ties with each other." Either way, I suspect these bronies won't be teased quite like Friendship Is Magic fans have been in the past. When the person you're mocking is literally capable of strafing your house at the speed of a Wonderbolt, your only options are to either shut up, or compliment their pretty pink patch.

Source: Medium

I think I'm enjoying the fact that this has happened WAY more than I actually should. A funny aside in the rigours of a day spent flying planes and life in general, I like it :)

No wonder the USA didn't send any aircraft to the RIAT this year - they would have been laughed off the runway!

Whoa, some people react so violently to this topic. Way to go. How easy you are to manipulate.

Maybe I should hope for some horrible tragedy to befall them so that they may learn to prioritise actual problems over stuff that doesn't involve them in any way.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here