Take-Two Files New Bully Trademark

Take-Two Files New Bully Trademark

bully,

Bully fans could finally be getting the sequel that Rockstar teased two years ago.

Back in 2006, when Rockstar was best known for Grand Theft Auto and Max Payne, the launch of Bully must have seemed a little odd. Trading criminals for delinquent students and firearms for slingshots, the game turned a fictional New England boarding school into an open-world environment that players sought to master. Bully went on to be a highly critical success that sold millions of copies, but despite an occasional tease from Rockstar Games, there hasn't really been word of a sequel. Those intentions could finally be changing however, since Take-Two has finally filed a trademark for Bully with the United States Patent Office.

In fairness, the trademark application could be little more than an attempt to cover Take-Two's bases regarding future Bully games, as no official announcement has been made by the publisher or Rockstar. The application itself broadly covers "computer and video game programs and software; downloadable digital materials, namely, wallpapers, screensavers, digital music files, and graphics, videos, films, multimedia files, live action programs, motion pictures, and animation in the field of video games and computer games", all of which is par for the course for a claim. Still, given how well the original Bully and its "Scholarship Edition" did, I imagine another adventure in Bullworth Academy is a pretty strong possibility.

Source: United States Patent and Trademark Office, via Eurogamer

It'd be silly not to make another one, as you said. They sold well.

Also it was fun, I want one more. >_<

Fuck. Yes.

Just tell me who I have to kill to get this made, and I'll do it. No questions asked.

I still need to finish the first one. Glad Rockstar's giving me plenty of time. It'd be interesting to see what they could do if they moved it to a high school setting. There's been so much shitty teen media as of late so there's plenty to satirize. Like the nerdy kids covering themselves in glitter because they think it'll make them look like Twilight Vampires, so they sparkle whenever you see them in game.

Good days, if this is true its long over due and i cannot wait.

Bully was one of the first games I got 100% everything on, genuinely loved that game.

Finally, a Rockstar game that's fun again!

That is, if they continue with the cartoony setting of the first game and don't go all grey and grounded. Like they have done with every other game they made this generation.

Fanghawk:
I imagine another adventure in Bullworth Academy is a pretty strong possibility.

tbh i always figured the obvious thing to do with a sequel was to set it in a college.

sooo many tropes to play with there especially if its an American collage with all the various cultural social cliques.

yes basically i'm picturing Animal House the game :| . . .

also the reason Bully (aka Canis Canem Edit in Europe) was different and probably why it hasn't had a follow up is because the various Rockstar Games divisions are basically separate development studios and it was made by Rockstar Vancouver which is now defunct.

Yeah was thinking High School or College. But if it's college, then it will likely be banned in Australia. What with drug experimentation and whatnot.

got it from steam sales this summer when it was 75% off. pretty much enjoy it so far. still not finished yet.
as long it gives me time to finish it before the sequel comes out.

WANT

Bully was the best GTA-style game by miles and there's been tiny hints about a sequel for a while without ever becoming anything concrete. This has to happen.

I replayed Canis Canem Edit on the PS3 recently (PS2 emulation through PSN). Excellent game, and could really use a modern-day sequel.
I still haven't done all the optional missions...

Roofstone:
It'd be silly not to make another one, as you said. They sold well.

Also it was fun, I want one more. >_<

I remember there was this big scare in the media about the title: People were afraid it would turn their kids into bullies.
2006 was such an innocent time.

Fasckira:
Bully was one of the first games I got 100% everything on, genuinely loved that game.

Yeah I wish I had gotten 100%. I would have but a lot of the activities were seasonal and my mom made me rush completion because we had to take it back to Blockbuster. This was back when both my parent still hated games with violence in them.

Sleekit:

Fanghawk:
I imagine another adventure in Bullworth Academy is a pretty strong possibility.

tbh i always figured the obvious thing to do with a sequel was to set it in a college.

sooo many tropes to play with there especially if its an American collage with all the various cultural social cliques.

yes basically i'm picturing Animal House the game :| . . .

Who wouldn't be? Most of the kids who played the original are in now college anyway. It'll be just like Toy Story 3! Wouldn't mind if they upped the rating to M as well.

I only hope if they port it to PC again, they do a better job than the first one: Left Shift to attack? Alt to confirm/activate? Are you mad, sir?! O_o

Replayed Bully last year still a great game so I hope they can do the original justice!

Bully was the first Rockstar game that i didnt like. Second one was GTA4. Not lured by this.

DaxStrife:
I only hope if they port it to PC again, they do a better job than the first one: Left Shift to attack? Alt to confirm/activate? Are you mad, sir?! O_o

The camera was also kinda unbearable. Rockstar ports are often completely terrible. Gta 3-SA was an exception it seems.

DO IT! PLEASE! Bully was freaking AMAZING! :D

Sign me up for a YES vote! Gary has to be quite possibly one of the best antagonists I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with in a game!

Although in the UK it was called Canis Canum Edit (Latin for dog eat dog) which, once you get past the faux culturally informed veneer the name's obviously supposed to imply, it's a bloody stupid title.

Then again Bully was a silly title because Jimmy Hopkins was rebelling against bullies rather than striving to become one himself (although he could be a bit of a dick) and I can see where concerned parants might get the wrong impression!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here