The Bureau: XCom Declassified Trailer Screams YOLO!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Bureau: XCom Declassified Trailer Screams YOLO!

In an XCom world of permadeath, You Only Live Once.

The last couple of promo trailers for The Bureau: XCom Declassified haven't exactly been upbeat affairs. Death, despair, darkness, loss of hope; it's a cold, hard world. But hey, baby - YOLO!

The latest (and, dare I say, greatest) trailer for The Bureau takes a bit of a different look at what happens when permadeath is combined with the curse of epically bad leadership. As you might imagine, it's not good. You only live once, kid. Whoops.

The video is wonderfully amusing, but not everyone is amused. A surprisingly large number of comments on YouTube are negative, calling it a horrible trailer or saying that 2K Games doesn't know its audience, and one user has actually threatened to cancel his preorder. Maybe it's all ironic, but I suspect some people are perhaps taking it a little more seriously than they should. Come on, man - YOLO!

The Bureau: XCom Declassified comes out on August 20 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I really would have preferred they played it straight, kinda undermines the whole point of having perma-death in the first place.
The fact that characters actually say YOLO in the trailer makes them look like hipsters. Aren't we supposed to WANT to keep our agents alive?

While the whole "YOLO" thing is stupid, I found myself mildly amused by this. Its meant to be comical, obviously, so taken in said context, it's not the worst two minutes I've ever spent on a youtube video.

Eh, no point having a 2 minute video for one joke. 30 seconds would have kept it snappier, though less gameplay of different people dying.

OTOH, gah, I wish YOLO would go away though. Not because I've actually heard people say it, but like with Justin Bieber, everyone keeps blathering on about how much they want it to go aw- oh goddamnit.

At first I thought that they threw away all the good feelings they worked so hard for getting rid of that game's bad reputation.

Then I laughed at the accurate portrayal of Tumblr.

This is possibly the best video game trailer I have seen in years! When The Bureau was first announced people were screaming that the creation of an XCOM shooter was going to destroy the franchise and that perma-death would cease to exist. The devs heard this and said, "Lets make a trailer that reassures those people while at the same time mocking them relentlessly.

DVS BSTrD:
I really would have preferred they played it straight, kinda undermines the whole point of perma-death in the first place.
And the fact that they actually SAY YOLO isn't going to earn them any points with me.

I actually think that makes it even better. One more 'gritty realistic our game is for serious' trailer and I was going to go insane. I'm glad that marketers are starting to realize that not everything has to be serious. (Sharknado, amirite?)

I mean, why worry about jokingly insulting your fan base when there's marketing to be done? #YOLO

2K Exec 1: Hey Bob, we need a cool new way to market our game
2K Exec 2: Yeah Jim, I was thinking, kid's are into rap nowadays right?
2K Exec 1: Sure Bob, but our game has nothing to do with rap
2K Exec 2: No problem, let's just take a stupid catchphrase the kids are using and shoehorn it into our trailer
2K Exec 1: That's a great idea Bob!

And then they both went back to sacrificing goats to the DRM God.

Seriously, I know they're doing this "ironically'. But in the words of 4chan: "Ironic shitposting is still shitposting".

Yeah, because 4chan is totally worth quoting, and shouldn't be burned to the ground and sown with salt. Lighten up, people. For Glod's sake, be a little less cynical and you'll live happier lives.

This kinda makes the game look really bad. Not the dumb meme but the gameplay. It looks awful.

Perhaps I'm in a weird place today, but I really liked it..

Or maybe it was the alien mind probes. I dunno.

Oh good, I was considering paying the full price and preorder it but now I don't want to anymore.
I know that it's just a joke, but it's a very poor one that hints at an attempt to reach the widest audience possible.

Phrozenflame500:
2K Exec 1: Hey Bob, we need a cool new way to market our game
2K Exec 2: Yeah Jim, I was thinking, kid's are into rap nowadays right?
2K Exec 1: Sure Bob, but our game has nothing to do with rap
2K Exec 2: No problem, let's just take a stupid catchphrase the kids are using and shoehorn it into our trailer
2K Exec 1: That's a great idea Bob!

And then they both went back to sacrificing goats to the DRM God.

Seriously, I know they're doing this "ironically'. But in the words of 4chan: "Ironic shitposting is still shitposting".

Well said.

piscian:
This kinda makes the game look really bad. Not the dumb meme but the gameplay. It looks awful.

This. I get soldiers are supposed to follow what they're commander says, but in a supposedly realistic-based game, having you men RUN ONTO LAND MINES THEY CAN CLEARLY SEE without question just makes me question how much they've bothered with the AI.

"The only winning move is not to play."

Mixing cultural references FTW!

That trailer is incredibly stupid. In a good way.

But people aren't giving it a fair deal either, most likely because most of the internet automatically hates anything related to the acronym "YOLO". What (very) little actual gameplay is shown is pretty solid.

What's people problem with the YOLO meme? Aside from it being true that each person does only live once, the trailer was funny.

That was pretty funny, I might look into this game a little more now.

Lets try that again.

I thought it was funny. There is something very traditional X-Com'ish about sending dozens of soldiers to their deaths and saying whoops.

TiberiusEsuriens:

DVS BSTrD:
I really would have preferred they played it straight, kinda undermines the whole point of perma-death in the first place.
And the fact that they actually SAY YOLO isn't going to earn them any points with me.

I actually think that makes it even better. One more 'gritty realistic our game is for serious' trailer and I was going to go insane. I'm glad that marketers are starting to realize that not everything has to be serious. (Sharknado, amirite?)

I think it especially shows with the soldiers yell "yolo!"
it's pretty obvious it's voice acting done solely for the trailer and not actual ingame voice acting

I want to find the SOB that decided to put together "YOLO", shouting it at the rooftops, and ring his freakin' neck! That crap is the most annoying shit I've ever heard ever...yes, more than a Britney Spears' song. Worse yet is when on VOIP and having to listen to people shouting it over a mic. PUKE!

This is pretty funny.

The more I see of this game, the more I like it... yet not enough to buy at launch. Sorry Xcom!

The internet hate machine never fails to amuse me. EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE! I HATE THIS! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOUR GAME! Sheesh.

I thought the video was cute, and possibly the result of someone saying "fuck it, let's do it!" while fuzzy-headed from not enough sleep and too much coffee. Since the game's due soon, they're probably in crunch mode at the studio, right? That could easily explain how this got made.

Anyway, I'm excited for the game, and I'm glad to see that the people making the game are real humans who sometimes like to have a laugh, and are not SUPER SERIOUS ALL THE TIME. It's a video game, not the cure for cancer.*

(* Cancer researchers should also be allowed to have some laughs.)

Wow, people are being little girls about this. It's reasonably funny-ish video that outlines how your squad suffers from permadeath. I don't get some of you: it's not a TBS version of the game, there is nothing but bitching and complaining. They take some of the elements of that and throw it in this (making it even more awesome in my opinion) and there is nothing but bitching and complaining.

please don't actually have them say that in game.

I think it's funny, but maybe not "one playthrough" funny.

Baresark:
Wow, people are being little girls about this.

(hands on hips)
And what exactly is THAT supposed to mean?

. . .

I kid! Don't hit me! =D

Jesus, people are being idiots about this.

Apparently devs aren't allowed to have a little fun.

Novaova:

Baresark:
Wow, people are being little girls about this.

(hands on hips)
And what exactly is THAT supposed to mean?

. . .

I kid! Don't hit me! =D

I'm at work and I wrote that post: then I did some work and then came back after writing that post and was like, "why the hell would I say something like that!" Glad I haven't actually offended anyone with that... yet. I have this thing where I don't edit posts because I like to let people see the general arch of stupidity I follow when I'm not paying that much attention to what I'm posting.

Give it time. The internet hate machine will come around and declare you to be LITERALLY HITLER any minute now.

TiberiusEsuriens:

I mean, why worry about jokingly insulting your fan base when there's marketing to be done? #YOLO

This.

I thought it was a great trailer.
This game has managed to go from "meh, don't care" to being surprisingly intriguing with everything new I hear about it, and this trailer does nothing to change the trend.

Seriously though - its just some lighthearted fun to advertise that the game will feature perma-death. And I mean even if the whole YOLO thing annoys you - pretty much everyone in the trailer dies a horrible death immediately after saying it, whats not great about that?

I swear, the things people get butt-hurt about these days ...

It's like people mistake this machina for real gameplay.

I get it's tongue-in-cheek, but it's still annoying. It's not because the game is in a serious setting, I mean I'd still be ticked if the meme was used in a Deadpool trailer. It's still pandering to the annoying shit kids like.

shadowmagus:
While the whole "YOLO" thing is stupid, I found myself mildly amused by this. Its meant to be comical, obviously, so taken in said context, it's not the worst two minutes I've ever spent on a youtube video.

Eh, it's standard GameStop fare. Their PR department doesn't take most games seriously. Anyone who complains about this ad's tone doesn't know that this isn't produced by 2K Games.

Rest assured - the actual game won't involve Redshirts screaming Internet memes at the top of their lungs.

This was hilarious. My excitement for this game grows.

Bostur:
[...] I thought it was funny. There is something very traditional X-Com'ish about sending dozens of soldiers to their deaths and saying whoops.

Well said, especially for anyone familiar with the original UFO: Enemy Unknown or even the recent release. The games are renowned for their unforgiving nature so the maker's acknowledgement & parody of this is hugely funny. I suspect that a lot of the disparagement comes from people unable to understand self-deprecation.

Two observations:

1.) This was actually funny for the first couple of times, and most of the non-YOLO dialogue is hilarious, but it is way too long. This joke would have been funny if the trailer were a minute long, or even 1:15, but it seriously overstays its welcome and goes from being ironically funny to pandering and beaten-to-death.

2.) This is essentially the old Leroy Jenkins meme, which probably would have been a little funnier.

I will say I overall enjoyed the trailer, though I feel that it over stay it's welcome a bit. Still enjoyable, I mean I was laughing at the first few times.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here