XCOM: Enemy Within Spotted on Ratings Board

Pages 1 2 NEXT

XCOM: Enemy Within Spotted on Ratings Board

XCOM Enemy Unknown screen

XCOM: Enemy Within has been sighted around the internet, though there's no official confirmation that it's anything more than swamp gas.

Close encounters are always subject to speculation, but there have been multiple sightings of a previously unknown game titled XCOM: Enemy Within. The title has been spotted on the Steam database as well as the South Korean ratings board, where it's attributed to XCOM's current publisher 2K Games. Details are thin at the moment, but it looks like we could be seeing a sequel or expansion to last year's hit strategy reboot from Firaxis, XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Multiple files with names like "XCOM EW" are listed on the Steam database page for Enemy Unknown, alongside previous expansions, so it could be more of an add-on than a full release. That said, Enemy Within certainly sounds like a sequel title. While we're grasping at straws, Enemy Within seems to point to a threat not from outer space, but from deep within Earth - perhaps a return to original X-COM's first sequel, X-COM: Terror From The Deep, which saw a new enemy rise from the bottom of the ocean.

We probably won't hear much more about this until 2K officially pulls back the curtain - assuming there's no government cover-up - so in the meantime, keep your eyes to the skies (or maybe the seas). The nations of the world may soon need to activate the XCOM project once again.

Source: CAV

I've actually been replaying Enemy Unknown this past week. I'd love to see more of that great gameplay make it's way to release.

Such a great game. Sequel, DLC, heck I'm even planning to try The Bureau. For me, the idea of more XCOM is a most welcome notion.

ill be looking forward to this. Even though i am a pc player its good to see console gamers getting the opportunity to have strategy titles and turn based at that on their platform.

hopefully this time they can fix the dodgy issues with multiple levels on UFO's, etc

Cognimancer:
We probably won't hear much more about this until 2K officially pulls back the curtain - assuming there's no government cover-up - so in the meantime, keep your eyes to the skies (or maybe the seas). The nations of the world may soon need to activate the XCOM project once again.

You just made my week. Enemy Unknown is one of my favoritest games ever and a potential sequel, or even just a proper expansion, has me squealing like a little girl. I can't wait for more information.

Great can't wait to play XCOM:Enemy Within and Dark Souls II *hangs himself with a rope of unbridled ragequit*

Just got through beating Enemy Unknown and pre-ordering The Bureau. Looking forward to more XCOM in the near future.

sweet more turn based goodness I cannot wait!!! woop!

awesome, can't wait to see what this is about!

also *eyeroll* at the people who still think "turn based combat" is a relic, games like these are what is making me spending 60 dollars on release.

I, for one, would welcome more XCOM with an open wallet.

gmaverick019:
also *eyeroll* at the people who still think "turn based combat" is a relic, games like these are what is making me spending 60 dollars on release.

The people who say that tend to simply be too dumb and/or impatient to deal with (turn-based) strategy.

Maybe it'd just be adding the ability for your base to get infiltrated or attacked, bringing that element of defending it back?

Hopefully they roll out bug fixes with it at the same time. I really don't like the lack of fixing... anything that was wrong.

A little bit of wee just come out. Thats the best thing ive read all week.

Heres to a co op or adversarial 2 player campaign. Civ manages it, surely xcom could. Id like to share a project with my brother. Be able to rub it in when he loses a captain.

If this is another turn based game similar to enemy unknown, I am preordering that shit on the spot.

I loved Enemy unknown. Best tactics game I've played in YEARS.

Enemy Within doesn't sound like them coming from the water like Terror from the Deep. It sounds like creatures that live beneath the earth's surface. Like the Silurians in Doctor Who. Anyway I would be interested in a new XCOM strategy game.

The title is interesting... an enemy from within.

So the aliens have infiltrated human society perhaps?

Or maybe it's a new Terror from the Deep game? The Aquatoids existed on Earth before humanity, so maybe the enemy from within is them emerging from the oceans?

Or maybe they're just slapping random words into the title, as developers are wont to do nowadays.

Gatx:
Maybe it'd just be adding the ability for your base to get infiltrated or attacked, bringing that element of defending it back?

are you kidding, that was such a huge fan-demand that they could not pass that up.

could they?

My only concern is how they would make the underwater gameplay feel like underwater gameplay. There was no real difference between moving, firing, and throwing grenades underwater, or on land. It was easy to ignore back then, but these days that kind of thing wouldn't fly.

I'd love to see how the gameplay evolves with sluggish, underwater gameplay. Also, in TFTD I would play with the hydrojet cannon, bolt launcher and torpedo launcher, just because I loved the effects of the phosphorous and high explosive ammo. I'd love so fire a torpedo launcher underwater, and see it lugging its way toward the target.

Enemy Within?

"They came from portals, deep below the Pacific Ocean."

I sense Jaeger units in the future.

Another XCom is always welcome. The first one was really good, though it did have some issues. For instance, troop class assignment being random was annoying furthermore I couldn't help but feel that characters should be able to carry more into battle. More weapon options would also be nice and perhaps some new classes (like maybe an engineer that can control drones)

Gimme gimme gimme!

Aiddon:
Another XCom is always welcome. The first one was really good, though it did have some issues. For instance, troop class assignment being random was annoying.

Hahaha, I remember seeing several third-party programs to fix exactly that. Hopefully 2K take it as a sign! A few more classes of weapons wouldn't hurt... Even some different grenade types. Smoke grenades would be of great use. I know that the support class got them, but really, they never felt effective to me. Damn aliens would somehow still shoot my sniper's tits off.

XCOM: Attack of the Mole Men?

I've said before that I would pay full price for an expansion of XCOM like TFTD.

Money launchers set to overwatch.
Bring it.

That's funny. I just had to deal with a sectopod for the first time and I cried. MORE X-COM. MORE.

Still want a Warhammer 40K game using this engine :(

Hmm... Enemy Within. Sounds to me like it might have something to do with something going wrong with the psychic abilities that some soldiers could get. They did mention that it would have some pretty significant effects on the way that people on earth live after the alien attack. I'd love to see a story that delves more into that side of things.

Can't wait. I really enjoyed XCOM: EU, and I just hope that they take what the last game had and improve upon it.

I would be very happy to see this. It would be nice if the game were a little more complex than last time - EU was a fantastic romp and I can understand why it was streamlined down over the original games, but wonder if the streamlining was maybe taken a little further than necessary.

More depth to base management, more than one base available, more weapons, more troops in squads, etc. etc. for a sequel please.

Aw hell I should just dive into that Xenonauts beta, shouldn't I?

octafish:
XCOM: Attack of the Mole Men?

Behold, the Underminer! I'm always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me!

Yes. More more. Loved Enemy Unknown to death, it was one of the best games of last year. Fun as hell, intense, and it revived a feeling about games that I hadn't felt since I was a child on the PS2. Will pre-order the shit out of it if I see it on Steam.

They should do more games in the X-Com style. I know things from Bioware like Mass Effect and Dragon Age would be amazing with x-com combat (maybe without perma-death though. For me it just meant I had to save scum a lot. Yes, I'm a terrible person, sorry I use such cheap methods, don't hate me).

Combustion Kevin:

Gatx:

are you kidding, that was such a huge fan-demand that they could not pass that up.

could they?

There are a few problems with adding base defence to the current system. Firstly the monster-closet style of enemy placment probably wouldn't work well in an base-attack scenario. Secondly, it would probably be one map(as having your base randomly generate every time would be wierd). Which would probably mean people would be clamouring for base-building. Actually something I enjoy, and miss in the current game, but would be more work for the devs. And thirdly, veteran X-Com players mostly saw base attacks as a boon, "free" gear/loot delivered straight to their door.

Almost forgot the squad size limit. Be a bit strange for a base to only have 4-6 guys fighting for it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have base defence back, but I wouldn't put money on it happening, at least not like it used to. Maybe some form of raiding, like XCOM Apocalypse had. Roll in, kill everything that moves, wreck/steal equipment and run.

The more XCOM the better, in my opinion. Just keep them coming. Plus, what do people find so difficult about the originals? It's as if men were men back then.

tdylan:
My only concern is how they would make the underwater gameplay feel like underwater gameplay. There was no real difference between moving, firing, and throwing grenades underwater, or on land. It was easy to ignore back then, but these days that kind of thing wouldn't fly.

Considering how well they dealt with 3D movement in Enemy Unknown, I really hope this isn't going to be set underwater.

Meatrod05:
Hmm... Enemy Within. Sounds to me like it might have something to do with something going wrong with the psychic abilities that some soldiers could get. They did mention that it would have some pretty significant effects on the way that people on earth live after the alien attack. I'd love to see a story that delves more into that side of things.

This is exactly what I assumed as well. They made a big fuss about psychic powers, and the bad guys were psychics with a plan revolving around humans developing psychic powers. How could a sequel/expansion called Enemy Within not involve human psychics running amok in some way?

Barciad:
The more XCOM the better, in my opinion. Just keep them coming. Plus, what do people find so difficult about the originals? It's as if men were men back then.

I've tried a few times but admittedly could try harder. Personally it's the interface that's a brick wall for me. If I could get over that and the feeling of not having a clue what I should be doing (although of course finding out that should/shouldn't be done and what is a good or bad idea is all part of the learning curve) I bet I'd have a ton of fun with it.

Hell Yeah!

Also, is this planned to be a sequel of sorts? Cause if it is it would be fun to be able to import some of your previous soldiers from Enemy Unknown, have some real veterans commanding the rookies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here