Star Wars: Battlefront Coming in 2015

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: Battlefront Coming in 2015

D.I.C.E.'s Star Wars: Battlefront reboot should be landing in summer of 2015.

When Electronic Arts took the gaming reins of the Star Wars franchise after Disney dissolved LucasArts, many were left wondering what the publisher, and the many studios under its umbrella, would do with the world famous property. The publisher wasted no time providing answers, announcing that Battlefield-developer DICE would be using its multiplayer expertise to reboot the long dormant Battlefront series. Now, EA has lifted the curtain on the game a bit higher and revealed that its targeting a 2015 launch window for the new game.

The announcement came during a stockholders call where EA CFO Blake Jorgensen discussed Star Wars and the Battlefront reboot. "We have partnered with Walt Disney and LucasFilm to develop a whole new generation of Star Wars games for the console as well as for mobile and handheld devices," said Jorgensen. "The first game that we're focused on is Battlefront. It's a traditional game that's done extremely well and this will most likely come out around the same time as the Star Wars movies start to come out, probably in the summer of '15."

While Star Wars devotees likely won't be happy with having the wait being that long, meshing Battlefront's launch with that of Star Wars: Episode VII makes some pretty good sense. Just in terms of simple marketing the game will likely be able to rely on hype from the film to move units. Besides, even if the wait is on the long side, fans might do well to just be happy they're getting a new game. We all know what happened to the last Battlefront, after all.

Source: Eurogamer

2 years, that actually sounds good. Hopefully that's given them the time they need to do a good job at it, this will be the game that'll make or break the future of Star Wars gaming for many I believe, if EA screws this one up then well....

RicoADF:
2 years, that actually sounds good. Hopefully that's given them the time they need to do a good job at it, this will be the game that'll make or break the future of Star Wars gaming for many I believer, if EA screws this one up then well....

They already have the Engine, so all they really have to do is come up with the levels, layout, and mechanics (not to mention the models) and everything should be fine. Assuming this is going to be a primarily online shooter with maybe a slight story to it?

Excited none the less.

Great! That means we won't have to hear people complaining that it was rushed out for almost 2 years!

In truth I am actually glad this isn't coming out for a while. It's been announced, which means they know people will have high expectations considering its development isn't only a rumor. Despite EA's reputation, I trust DICE will do their best.

Capitano Segnaposto:

They already have the Engine, so all they really have to do is come up with the levels, layout, and mechanics (not to mention the models) and everything should be fine. Assuming this is going to be a primarily online shooter with maybe a slight story to it?

Excited none the less.

Exactly, which is why I said 2 years sounds good as it's enough time to make it off the Frostbite engine. I hope they have the space combat of 2 and the proposed flying from space to ground that 3 had hinted at, that'd be awesome :-). Battle in space and fly down to drop more troops and attack enemies. Kinda like BF2142 with the titans, just higher up.

The second Battlefront had a decent story bit that focused on the 501st stormtrooper brigade. I hope there is something akin to that in BF3. But it doesn't really matter, I'll buy and play it with or without a single player component.

I hate to be optimistic though. It's so counter to EVERYTHING we know about EA and the current state of Star Wars to assume it won't blow goats. So I'll remain cautious and secretly hopeful... well maybe not secretly anymore, but you know what I mean.

Kind of odd we got a teaser for a game 2 years out, but I guess dice just wanted us to know they're working on it.

I'm still curious how they intend to handle players being hero units. As I mentioned in the last BF new blip, characters like Darth Maul were obscenely overpowered, easily able to win a battle singlehandedly in a matter of seconds. Perhaps AI controlled heroes kinda like in the first game? Bah, speculation's pretty useless at this point. Might as well just wait for more news.

I really appreciate that they're putting so much time into this, but if they have the engine bits figured out I'd say they're pushing it a little. I do hope the DICE people aren't delaying the game to pair it with star wars 7's release date. Or maybe that's a good thing because it means they need to keep polishing it. I don't know, positive article, lets leave it at that.

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:
2 years, that actually sounds good. Hopefully that's given them the time they need to do a good job at it, this will be the game that'll make or break the future of Star Wars gaming for many I believer, if EA screws this one up then well....

Excited none the less.

While Frostbite 3 exists, the 2 year deal is proof that they aren't just reskinning BF4 with Star Wars.

I think the 2 year development is good, but you're understating what they'll have to do. To properly leverage the brand they'll have to make some modifications to the engine, so it'll be running something more akin to Frostbite 3.5, or 3.125. Air vehicles in Star Wars work much differently than traditional planes, spaceships are actually in space, so they have to add that entire shabang, etc...

The DICE guys are REALLY big fans of the entire franchise and actually coerced EA to let them make a new Battlefront in the first place when the IP was originally licensed. They know what made the older games so great and with this new time-frame information I'm really excited to see it's getting the time and respect it deserves.

Before we get too into this I think we need new acronyms here.

DICE makes both Battlefield and now Battlefront. Callin them both BF is really confusin.

Also fuck yeah. Battlefront!

RJ 17:
I'm still curious how they intend to handle players being hero units. As I mentioned in the last BF new blip, characters like Darth Maul were obscenely overpowered, easily able to win a battle singlehandedly in a matter of seconds. Perhaps AI controlled heroes kinda like in the first game? Bah, speculation's pretty useless at this point. Might as well just wait for more news.

Speculation is fun though.

One way they could fix this, like you more or less said, is to throw in opposing heroes at the same time, that way they become the focal point of the battle but they balance each other out. It was always pretty dickish that the best player of the best team always got dibs on the hero, that's asking for domination.

Another way would be to introduce minibosses. It takes an army to beat down Grievous, or alternatively three or four determined padawans. I don't know if that creates an unwanted layer between low and high tier troops, but it's a method.

What I think will end up happening though, and this is the worst possible scenario, is seeing heroes become a kill streak feature that's about as relevant as an airstrike. If DICE drives this in the FPS route, which I would not put beyond them, it'll be a high-quality title with interesting maps, but it'll also be annoyingly competitive and multiplayer-driven. I'm holding my breath

First: Its a good thing that it'll take a couple years to come out. Rushed development never pans out in the longrun.

Second: This had better not become a yearly or even every other year type of thing.

Third: I trust DICE. I haven't played any of the BF games, but I hear pretty uniform good opinions about it.

Finally: Hoth map, that turn based multiplayer gamemode-type thing that was in 2, heros, and the all-heros mode. That is all.

Please please please please please don't screw this up, I love the first 2 battlefronts so I'm begging them to do a good job with the 3rd.

RJ 17:

Hero units were not really that overpowered. They were pretty much glass cannons. Yeah, they were strong, but they also went down incredibly easily from a rocket or two or with a few rounds from the upgraded rifle. I always used to pass them up because I was far more effective with just the upgraded rifle for the basic soldier and people always aim for the hero unit. The upgraded rifle, now that was an overpowered weapon.

OT: I think this actually bodes well, having a two year time frame before release. It's been eight years now since Battlefront II. I can wait two more years if it means getting the best game possible.

I look forward to two years of hype!

Eh, take your time DICE. Seriously, NO RUSH. We have waited a long time, two years is nothing. Hopefully it'll be great.

Good. Usually when DICE works on something within a good time schedule, they release a good game along with it. No rush, just make sure it's good when it comes out.

This is good news IMO. It means that it probably won't be rushed.

No, Battlefront came out on the 21st of September 2004!

I hope they do that galactic campaign from BF2 where what if endings would happen depending on the faction that was picked. It would cool though if Dice made that the single player for all the factions.

I want to see ship combat like Assassins Creed 3 but for the capital ships like the Star Destroyers or Mon Calamari cruisers. They need to make it though so that it takes more than one or two people to fly the ship. Like have a 12 person crew to pilot them, have a 24 person crew to man the turbolasers, and have around 50 or so pilots for the space battles.

How on earth can you reboot a game like Battlefront? The game has no story, plot or even any events. It's you go to this location and win.

For me all they need to do for singleplayer is bots and Galactic Conquest, thats all I want

I'm actually forcing myself to be cautiously optimistic. I mean, it's EA and one of its Slave-Developers, but DICE has some good history and BF3 had a genuinely great game poking out from under EA's rotting hand of evil. If they're taking their time and showing proper respect to the game, it may cause me to break the rule of never buying EA games.

Or they're shoving out a Battlefield reskin to coincide with the release of the new crap movies. But I don't think my poor heart could take all of that at once, so I have to keep believing that the new movies have a chance of being good and that DICE will make a good Battlefront game.

mad825:
How on earth can you reboot a game like Battlefront? The game has no story, plot or even any events. It's you go to this location and win.

The second one had an actually pretty good story mode focused on the 501st, a division of Clone Troopers that eventually became Vader's elite troops. It had some cool stuff about the period between the movies, and gave a good excuse to have story missions based around all of the important set piece battles. To be honest, the prequel trilogy was actually pretty cool as portrayed by the Battlefront games.

You know they really need to let the Rebels fight the Droids, and the Clones fight the Empire.

Mostly though please just fix the freaking AI for god's sake since that is the WORST part of the series.
I cant count how many times I got killed by my own side's fire.

Good, hope that means it'll be good. I'll be happy as long as it has bots.

So, EA.
Origin only? If yes it means no play for me,as someone who loved both the previous titles thatll be a shame to miss out on, hopefully by then origin will die and they will release on steam.

Ftaghn To You Too:

mad825:

The second one had an actually pretty good story mode focused on the 501st, a division of Clone Troopers that eventually became Vader's elite troops. It had some cool stuff about the period between the movies, and gave a good excuse to have story missions based around all of the important set piece battles. To be honest, the prequel trilogy was actually pretty cool as portrayed by the Battlefront games.

Well...Whatever it was, it was forgettable and I'm sure it doesn't call for a reboot. All I was expecting from SWBF2 back then were cool set pieces...Whatever, I just hope that they keep the Battlefield 1942-esuqe gameplay.

Capitano Segnaposto:

You just described the development of Medal of Honor: Warfighter, they had two years and a ready made engine for that too, it's mostly refugees of Danger Close that are making Battlefront 3 as well.

I am filled with anticipation, positively filled...

"We have partnered with Walt Disney and LucasFilm to develop a whole new generation of Star Wars games for the console as well as for mobile and handheld devices,"

No PC version? :(

I don't mind waiting that long for the game as long as it's good when it launches. I'm kind of disappointed that it will have to be played on origin and I really hate that piece of crap. Anyway I'm hoping EA doesn't screw this up and that they actually bring out a full game with maybe 1-2 dlc and not 5-6 like Battlefield 3. But that's probably wishful thinking.

My biggest worry about this game is that they will take out splitscreen. I'd love it if they left in 4 player split from BF2 (xbox) but I would settle for two player. If it has no splitscreen I won't even bother with it.

All this hopeful anticipation makes for the eventual fermentation of bitter disappointment. Delicious! :d

I wonder if EA will retain the golden poo award during those two years, or if they're planning on relaxing for a couple years and then use SW:BF2015 to win the poo back in one fell swoop.

Ok, 2 things:

1). You bastards are going to make us wait until summer of 2015? Damn you all! >:(

2). The original Battlefront 3 was cancelled during its bug-fixing crunch phase and I somehow missed that announcement?!
KILL THEM!!!! KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!!

Ok angery time over. In all seriousness, I'm at least happy to be seeing this at all. At least I'll have GTA V and, further down the road, Titanfall to keep me entertained for now. And that's not even counting what's coming up in the first year of the Xbox one's lifespan.

ZZoMBiE13:
The second Battlefront had a decent story bit that focused on the 501st stormtrooper brigade. I hope there is something akin to that in BF3. But it doesn't really matter, I'll buy and play it with or without a single player component.

I hate to be optimistic though. It's so counter to EVERYTHING we know about EA and the current state of Star Wars to assume it won't blow goats. So I'll remain cautious and secretly hopeful... well maybe not secretly anymore, but you know what I mean.

I seriously hope it has a single player component, because back with Battlefront 2, I didn't have a good internet connection, and it was still a blast to play by myself. Besides, I like playing by myself on such games anyway.

In order for the game to be at least as good as Battlefront 2, it must have every single one of these things(Since SW:BF2 had them):

1.) It has to be both a first and third person shooter(I don't care what they have to do or how long it takes, it has to have both).
I played Battlefront 2 in third person mode the most, and I'm worried that they will make some stupid decision to make it only first person, because the Dice's Battlefield games are only first person.
HEAR ME DICE, you better put third person in there as well.

2.) Space battles with multiple fighter/bomber ships to fly, and in cruiser ship stations to man and repair.

3.) Massive battles, that work just fine in single player as all the other players are manned by bots.

4.) The reward of being able to play as a "hero" character: Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Vader, The Emperor, Hon Solo, Boba Fett, etc, etc, whoever else they decide to put in as a hero character. It always felt great when the outlook of the battle looked bleak, but then I got an awesome string of kills and the hero became available, and then I was able to tear through the opposing side and gain back my momentum and most of the time win. I also thought the system that the hero life-bar would go down when you weren't getting kills, but went up if you got kills. It was a good way to keep someone from permanently being the hero, but also gave them to chance to stay alive for a good bit of time.

I would say the non-inclusion of even just one of these is a deal breaker. If they exclude one, I will not get the game, because there is no good reason for them not to have everything the previous games had. Anything less is a step backwards.

What kind of bass ackwards dimension did I wake into where I'm slightly and cautiously optimistic for EA/DICE's Battlefront and cursing Capcom for its new Breath of Fire iteration?

Seriously, I think I'm going to have a couple Captain and Coke's before picking up my paycheck just so I can make sure this reality is somewhat close to the one I went to sleep in last night.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here