Elder Scrolls Anthology Tells the Whole Tale of Tamriel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Elder Scrolls Anthology Tells the Whole Tale of Tamriel

The Elder Scrolls Anthology

The Elder Scrolls Anthology brings together all five games from Bethesda's epic RPG series, plus the official add-ons and five printed maps.

If you've never before enjoyed the pleasures of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls RPG series (and you have a taste, or at least a tolerance, for older games) then The Elder Scrolls Anthology may well be the perfect place to jump in. It's all five games in the sprawling RPG franchise - Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim - plus the Tribunal and Bloodmoon add-ons for Morrowind, the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions for Oblivion, and Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn for Skyrim.

And that's not all! The package also comes with five printed maps of Tamriel, the Iliac Bay, Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim, and a super-sexy box that will class up any room.

"But wait!" I hear you say. "What about Battlespire and Redguard?" To which I reply, "Tone it down, pal, nobody wants to play those anyway." More to the point, one is an "adventure" and one is a "legend," which I guess means that they're technically not part of the Elder Scrolls continuity. It seems to me like a mighty fine hair to split but the bottom line is that they're not part of the package. Sorry.

Arena and Daggerfall, being the old boys that they are, will run within DOS emulators, while the rest are new enough to run straight-up. The Elder Scrolls Construction Set for Morrowind is crammed in there, too, for those who feel like cooking up their own adventures in the land of the Dunmer (and what I maintain is the best Elder Scrolls game of all). The Elder Scrolls Anthology launches on September 10 and will set you back $79.99. Oh, and it's PC only. You may commence gawping at elderscrolls.com.

So I would need my own DOS emulator like DOSBox or do they come with one?

at about $80, that's a good steal having all the Expansions for the games included, makes me wonder though why they didn't include the Horse Armor for Oblivion.

I need that extra .000000000001% protection....

also, Redguard and Battlespire never happened. THEY NEVER HAPPENED!

I honestly think I am going to buy this just to have it. I already own Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim (plus all major DLCs/expansions) on PC AND Xbox, but this is just too cool to pass up. I've also been meaning to try Daggerfall for the longest time.

$80 is a steal. Still not getting it. But wow that is a great deal.

I already own most of it, but I'm getting it anyway. Just because I want it.

Nobody wants to play Arena either, honestly. Great for its time but it has aged even worse than Daggerfall. (Not criticising you, Andy, just playing off your words, which are probably mostly accurate.)

I'm glad they're doing this but to be frank, the lack of Redguard and Battlespire decides for me that I don't want it. Even if they were bad, I didn't get to play them back in the day and I would like to. But they're effectively impossible to find by any legal means so I'm out of luck. Seriously, Bethesda (Zenimax), why not include those if Arena's there too?

Hope they don't use Steam. Well, Skyrim probably will, hope Arena through Oblivion will be non-steam and DRM-free. That'd be boss. Mainly because modding the Steam version of Morrowind is a bit of a pain.

As someone trying to play through the entire series, and doesn't own Oblivion or Skyrim, I want to buy this.

As someone who is tight on money though, I am sad.

OOOooohh...

I want this, but then I wan to have a life as well, why are the big decisions always so hard?

Then again, I think I've still got Arena somewhere, on 3.5 floppy no less, not I still have an actual working 3.5in drive anymore. Morrowind, got that on disc right next to my desk... still want this.

Are you ready to welcome "Eldar'Sckrall Anth'Logia, Devourer of Time" into your life?
For only 79.99 you too can cast yourself before Him and sacrifice your pitiful existence to feel his cold bug ridden embrace!
Call now!

Those maps are enticing but I already own 3 of the games, so I probably wont get it.

I've been wanting to play Morrowind for the longest time, and I never got the Oblivion expansions, so really, only Skyrim is a redundant purchase for me. Might as well get it, since it also comes with those neat maps and the first two games. Though, it would have been nice if they went through the game code and converted them to a format that wouldn't require a DOS emulator.

As awesome as this is, I'd like to point out to anyone interested that you can still get Daggerfall from their website for free. The whole thing.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

That said, a big ol' box of Elder Scrolls sure is tempting, especially for someone like me - I love having hard copies of games, and I kinda miss those days. I've still got my big box of Baldur's Gate lying around, and it just feels good to look at.

Andy Chalk:
"Tone it down, pal, nobody wants to play those anyway."

Hey, you can say that about the entire set!

Sabrestar:
Nobody wants to play Arena either, honestly. Great for its time but it has aged even worse than Daggerfall. (Not criticising you, Andy, just playing off your words, which are probably mostly accurate.)

You're probably right - I think the idea of playing Arena again is probably sweeter than the reality, and will thus leave it that way. Daggerfall, though... I think I'll have to give it another go. So much greatness there.

(Yes, I'll be buying this thing, probably on launch day.)

And directly from The Man Himself:

I still think it's a hell of a hazy line to draw, but most gamers probably won't even notice.

Kalezian:
So I would need my own DOS emulator like DOSBox or do they come with one?

From the Amazon listing:

Arena: The Anthology features the original version of Arena and will launch within a DOS emulator.
Daggerfall: The ancient golem Numidium, a powerful weapon once used to unify Tamriel has once again been unearthed. The Anthology features the original version of Daggerfall and will launch within a DOS emulator.

Source

Are the pre-morrowind titles still playable? I mean, are they able to be enjoyed or has the wretch maker that is time rendered them impossible to enjoy thanks to our getting spoiled by the modern era of graphics and UI?

Lightknight:
Are the pre-morrowind titles still playable? I mean, are they able to be enjoyed or has the wretch maker that is time rendered them impossible to enjoy thanks to our getting spoiled by the modern era of graphics and UI?

It's pretty bad. Think "Doom"-style 3D. Still, it's worth playing games like that every now and then so exactly what you said doesn't happen and you can still enjoy them.

Ickabod:

Not even. Unless the maps are worth 30$ to you.

And now I'm disappointed. I thought it would be a book about the lore, like the Zelda timeline or the Resident Evil Archives. Boo, I already own the games.

For people wanting to play Daggerfall: http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

Just download, install, and run. No need to install emulators, no need to apply bugfixes, no nothing.

Protip: Once you start a character, hit esc, go to controls, then mouse, and select view. Then rebind keys as necessary to get controls similar to the more modern TES games. Makes for a much easier transition.

Lightknight:

They are totally playable, but you are better off not following the main quest lines. It's also really easy to get them started with DOSBox. In fact, if you copy and edit a file and link the executable to that file, you can just click on the icon and have the script do all of it for you and never mess in the emulator shell again.

What I do want to know is if the version of Skyrim in this lot is on or off Steam.

For those wondering, Battlespire is kind of like a gridless Legend of Grimlock and about five times as unforgiving as Dark Souls, while Redguard is a fun little 3D item-quest adventure. I am not sure why they didn't include them (hurr hurr not part of the main lore durr), but my guess is that it was because Battlespire was almost impossible to beat because the last few levels have endlessly spawning monsters that kill you really easily and Redguard is annoying to configure unless you spend a lot of time on the vogons forums.

CrossLOPER:

Andy Chalk:
"Tone it down, pal, nobody wants to play those anyway."

Hey, you can say that about the entire set!

Aaaaaaaand what's your point? I could make that comment about any game (or set of games) if I felt so inclined. Did you have some actual point you were trying to make?

Lightknight:

As a general rule, I label that question under the category of "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'No'". That said, they are still very playable, you just have to be willing to accept that the games are dated and be willing to play around with them to find a comfortable niche. In fact, I think that Daggerfall has one of the better combat systems in a game series that has been for a long time been trying to find the "right fit" for its combat. Amusingly, the combat has gotten less and less interesting with Bethesda's attempts to make the combat "more interesting". The combat in Elderscrolls went from games like Daggerfall and Morrowind having a set of a few types of attacks you can do that have varying effectiveness and/or accuracy, to Skyrim where you just click to swing the weapon.

Easton Dark:

Ickabod:

Not even. Unless the maps are worth 30$ to you.

And now I'm disappointed. I thought it would be a book about the lore, like the Zelda timeline or the Resident Evil Archives. Boo, I already own the games.

Well if you have none of them, or really want the set look at the individual prices. 60 for Skyrim and DLC, 25 for Oblivion and DLC, 20 for Morrowind. And that is just the digital copies. 105 bucks. Then add in the maps and nice case. So actually a pretty darn good deal.

Fiad:

Well if you have none of them, or really want the set look at the individual prices. 60 for Skyrim and DLC, 25 for Oblivion and DLC, 20 for Morrowind. And that is just the digital copies. 105 bucks. Then add in the maps and nice case. So actually a pretty darn good deal.

Well here's what you do, wait for the Elder Scrolls day of Quakecon and get all 3 games for $50. This is really not that great a deal. Plus, 25 for Oblivion and 20 for Morrowind I think are outrageous standard prices.

Did they censor the games at all?

Those older games had some wild character models, lore, and books and the games are worthless to me if they did some revisioning and meddling.

its kind of sad that they didnt include Battlespire and Redguard.
it doesnt matter if they sucked, they are part of the series/realm and deserve to be in this anthology.

stand up for your mistakes, bedestha.

Alcaste:
As awesome as this is, I'd like to point out to anyone interested that you can still get Daggerfall from their website for free. The whole thing.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

Same with Arena.

CrossLOPER:
What I do want to know is if the version of Skyrim in this lot is on or off Steam.

Did they ever release a version that was off Steam? If not, then I doubt they would produce a separate Steam-free version just for this set. Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.

Steve the Pocket:
Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.

Several titles have dropped DRM, including Steam, and appeared on GOG. I know for a fact Ubisoft has adopted this practice for slightly older games and Penumbra and Amnesia have appeared there earlier this week.

It's possible. Doubtful, but possible.

Easton Dark:

Fiad:

Well here's what you do, wait for the Elder Scrolls day of Quakecon and get all 3 games for $50. This is really not that great a deal. Plus, 25 for Oblivion and 20 for Morrowind I think are outrageous standard prices.

It's an extra fee for the hard copies, though. This isn't really for people who want to play the games so much as collectors who want the pretty box. If it was just to play, Arena and Daggerfall wouldn't even be included, or if they were they'd be combined on one DVD. Assuming I have a job by then, I may very well buy this thing at full price, and I already own hard copies of three of the five games -- one of which, believe it or not, is a disc only copy of Daggerfall. I also /never/ pay launch price for a videogame, the last time I did was back in the PS2 era.

Edit: Also, to everyone complaining about Battlespire and Redguard not being in the set, I agree, it's a shame. Although it's at least as big a shame that there's no ports of the cell phone and N-Gage entries in the series. I doubt there's even an emulator for the ones that were made for old feature phones, which means sooner or later they're going to be totally lost to history. At least the two PC based spinoffs can be jiggered to run on modern computers if you know what you're doing, and they're out there both legally (as used copies) and illegally, so there's no fear of them becoming lost titles.

As nice as this is, Steam's already got me all set with everything here, along with the free copies of games from their site.

I suppose this might catch the eye of someone who has heard about the games but never played them, or someone who just wants extra copies, but it's not nearly enough to make me buy everything again, especially not at these prices.

The price, considering the content, is great. Even though I've played most of the games already, I will most likely buy this.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Lightknight:

As a general rule, I label that question under the category of "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'No'". That said, they are still very playable, you just have to be willing to accept that the games are dated and be willing to play around with them to find a comfortable niche. In fact, I think that Daggerfall has one of the better combat systems in a game series that has been for a long time been trying to find the "right fit" for its combat. Amusingly, the combat has gotten less and less interesting with Bethesda's attempts to make the combat "more interesting". The combat in Elderscrolls went from games like Daggerfall and Morrowind having a set of a few types of attacks you can do that have varying effectiveness and/or accuracy, to Skyrim where you just click to swing the weapon.

There are games that artistically rendered that will stand the test of time and then there are games that shoot for realism at a time when graphics weren't even close to reaching it.

There is a huge list of games that are not dated. I can still enjoy games from the 80's, let alone 90's and 00's. But there are just some games whose mechanics are SOOOooo dated and the graphics were trying so hard that it's really difficult to play now. I mean, have you really gone back and played the original 007 multiplayer on the original N64? I did, last month.

Battle mechanics are my very lowest concern of almost any game.

llafnwod:

Lightknight:

It's pretty bad. Think "Doom"-style 3D. Still, it's worth playing games like that every now and then so exactly what you said doesn't happen and you can still enjoy them.

Doom is fairly hard to go back an play for an extended amount of time. I have fond memories of it, heck, I still have it, red cartridge and all. But it hasn't aged well at all.

CrossLOPER:

Steve the Pocket:
Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.

Several titles have dropped DRM, including Steam, and appeared on GOG. I know for a fact Ubisoft has adopted this practice for slightly older games and Penumbra and Amnesia have appeared there earlier this week.

It's possible. Doubtful, but possible.

I'm talking retail games that require Steam. And Ubisoft discarded their own DRM because everyone hated it.

Nurb:
Did they censor the games at all?

Those older games had some wild character models, lore, and books and the games are worthless to me if they did some revisioning and meddling.

I doubt it, seeing how my free copy of Daggerfall has all its breasts intact.

OT: It's less of a great deal when you remember that Arena and Daggerfall are currently free. I'm not going to buy it, but I'd pay $150 for the anthology if it had cloth maps instead of printed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here