Ender's Game Movie Gets Final Trailer

Ender's Game Movie Gets Final Trailer

The Ender's Game movie has been gifted with a final, explosion filled trailer before its November release.

Setting aside all the baggage that comes with the property, it's pretty exciting to think that Ender's Game, a classic of science fiction literature, will be getting an honest-to-goodness film adaptation. Now, with the days swiftly ticking away leading up to its November 1st release, a final trailer has been put out to entice potential film-goers into giving the flick a view when it finally hits theaters.

Beginning with some exposition by Harrison Ford's grumpy sounding Graff, the trailer powers ahead full force with scenes of interstellar combat mixed in with bits of characters saying dramatic things to each other. The focus here is definitely on the spaceships going boom, which is somewhat ironic considering that the space battles were arguably much less prominent in the overall book than the Battle Room sequences this trailer only glimpses upon. We're going to guess that epic explosions are just more marketable than children playing zero gravity laser tag.

The trailer, overall, isn't terrible. It's very much on the flashy side, which could be worrisome considering how much of the book dealt with the thoughts and emotions of the title character. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a trailer sold audiences one product just to deliver something different so, until we're told otherwise, we'll hold onto the hope that the film might capture the emotional nuance of the original book. Honestly, if there's anything to criticize the trailer for, it would be how extremely spoiler-ific it is. We won't point out anything specific, but wow. Way to let it all hang out, guys.

Source: YouTube

Can't wait to watch this in about two years when it comes to the free movie channels.

I don't get why people keep expecting perfect adaptations from books to movies: they're different formats with different constraints, and shit is going to change in the transfer no matter what.

Mind you, there's some stuff that's a bit unforgivable (Iron Man 3's big twist for example) but for the most part I try to just enjoy book-movies as the movies themselves, and detach them from the books.

I think that so far, the Ender's Game movie looks pretty decent. No, the stuff in the trailers does not constitute spoilers - not unless you say what's actually going on, in which case congrats, you're the problem here. I'd argue that everyone screaming "SPOILER" is more of a spoiler than the actual trailer. To an outsider unfamiliar with the books, it looks like your typical action lead-in. To us in the know, it's meant to be an acknowledgement of one of the book's most awesome moments. I think they played it fairly well.

It looks like they have the action nailed down, so hopefully they can get the rest of the book nailed down in terms of tone. Harrison Ford seems to be knocking it out of the park at least.

You seriously need to put "spoiler heavy" in the title because the trailer bullet points make a very clear outline of the plot even if you haven't read the books, if you want to enjoy this to the fullest do not watch this trailer.

Hopefully the movie goes deep enough for this spoiler be mitigated but it's an incredibly stupid thing to do none the less.

scotth266:
I don't get why people keep expecting perfect adaptations from books to movies: they're different formats with different constraints, and shit is going to change in the transfer no matter what.

Of course. The question is whether or not they butcher it entirely, and the answer is frequently "yes".

scotth266:
Mind you, there's some stuff that's a bit unforgivable (Iron Man 3's big twist for example) but for the most part I try to just enjoy book-movies as the movies themselves, and detach them from the books.

Mind you, if that's your idea of an unforgivable change, I don't know why you're even arguing this point at all.

Oh wow, that trailer is... really generic

scotth266:
I think that so far, the Ender's Game movie looks pretty decent. No, the stuff in the trailers does not constitute spoilers - not unless you say what's actually going on, in which case congrats, you're the problem here. I'd argue that everyone screaming "SPOILER" is more of a spoiler than the actual trailer.

The problem is when you're enjoying the movie, and realize exactly what you saw in the trailer halfway through due to the fact that X scene hasn't occurred yet[1]. Luckily we can count on most people not making that connection, or conflating it with some other Battle School thing, but ugh.

"Devil" is a standout example of a trailer that gave away the ENTIRE PLOT of a movie. I thought the trailer was fantastic/fun on its own merits (the movie mediocre at best), but it literally gave away the only mystery in the movie (though even that spoiler required more deduction then what the Ender's Game trailers show).

[1] Though it does look like this trailer does a bit better job of showing scenes immediately around the spoiler rather then the direct plot events that the previous trailer showed

Looks bad.

I'm not surprised.

This movie just looks boring... It seems more of the same shallow scifi that trades big ideas for big flashy explosions because that's easier. Fuck the new star treks and JJ abrahms... Wait, what were we talking about? >_>

OT: The people who make trailers need to stop acting like the annoying Inception music was what put the asses in the seats for that movie. Enough of screeching WUBs!

Wow, over pressuring the kid much?
So it kind of like a person playing a statergy game but for real battle purposes well from the look of the trailer? (Never read the book before you asked).
Either way it look like an action fest (well parts of it) which is good enough for me!!

I never could get through that book. It's been a long time since I tried though. I won't be trying just because a movie is coming out though. But if it's anything like the book, it's not action packed like they make it out to be. I think the movie is being billed as something it's not. It'll probably be like Oblivion in that the previews all look really good, but the movie is going to be boring.

I loved the book, will probably see the movie because I like Ford, but I'm surprised

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

they put the ending in the trailer.

Zer0Saber:
I loved the book, will probably see the movie because I like Ford, but I'm surprised

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

they put the ending in the trailer.

It was in the trailer before this one too >.> Seriously, is it really that hard NOT to put it in trailers?

...was there a SINGLE shot of Battle School itself anywhere in that trailer?

See, there is ONE moment in the whole story that couldn't be mentioned. That moment HAD to be kept well under wraps for the effect of it all to actually sink in and make people like the movie. THIS D@MN TRAILER just spoiled the whole thing. They danced around it the whole trailer with far too direct lines like "your the only one" and "you can save us all" when in the book it could be ANY of the students. Then they have to go and actually show all the ships surrounding just the one and that it's actually happening and (SPOILED ALREADY) not a simulation like Ender and his crew think.
:/ So disappointed right now.

SPOILER. Hints at spoilers and etc etc. This is intended for people who read the book.

0:45 and 1:20 doesn't make any sense in the context of the original story. But I may be taking it out of context, and it isn't too big of a deal.

I also wonder what 0:15 is, since... well it looks like...

1:10 is pretty much a betrayal of how the story was told, but this might be a good thing.

Perhaps, they are taking a gambit here, and they aren't telling the same story as the book.
The book, if you remember, is completely told from the perspective of Ender.
That is why the climax worked so well.
It is quite possible that the people who wrote the movie knew they couldn't replicate the book and succeed.
And this movie is relying on a market revolving around the book. If they tell the story that everyone is assuming they will tell, It will be BORING AS HELL to the very market they are trying to sell to.

This movie clearly shows something different.
Also one should remember that the book didn't end where everything seems to be implying where it did.
If this movie is actually going to tell a different story, then the climax could very well not be what we all expect.

One character is completely missing from the trailer too. So I think there may be quite a few surprises even for people who have read the book.

Also, do you believe Harrison Ford would be in a movie that didn't revolve around him?
Clearly they aren't going to simply re-tell Ender's game in movie format.

All these intergalactic explosions, and yet the part that I'm interested in is mainly the depiction of the battle room.

And really, it's kind of bad marketing to sell off of

scotth266:
Mind you, there's some stuff that's a bit unforgivable (Iron Man 3's big twist for example)

Fun fact: Every time a fan of Iron Man complains about IM3's twist, Shane Black gives one less fuck.

Right now, he's in the negative trillions.

Lasercannons fail, everyone dies :P

It really outlined the plot, which is annoying because I have only read the first book

Seems like they're really adding a lot of stuff which wasn't really detailed in the book. It can still be ok, but it's worrying, because that action can only really be placed right at the end if they follow the book. If they are gonna fill up the movie with those space scenes, they'll be skipping the bulk of the most important moments.

It's odd that the one completely unforgivable change for me is one no one else seems to be bothered about, which is the age of the kids. Making them teenagers is a clear attempt to capture the Twilight/Hunger Games market but completely destroys the original point of the book. It's a bit like when the Lord Of The Flies movie changed Jack's gang from choirboys to army cadets.

Not that I'd have gone to see it anyway because, you know, Orson Scott Card, but still.

Flatfrog:
It's odd that the one completely unforgivable change for me is one no one else seems to be bothered about, which is the age of the kids. Making them teenagers is a clear attempt to capture the Twilight/Hunger Games market but completely destroys the original point of the book. It's a bit like when the Lord Of The Flies movie changed Jack's gang from choirboys to army cadets.

Not that I'd have gone to see it anyway because, you know, Orson Scott Card, but still.

It might have more to do with the film studio (and audiences to be frank) probably not being comfortable putting so much child on child violence in a film. In the book Ender is kindergarten age when he first enters Battle School. Some people were shocked by the Hunger Games. Watching a 9 year old beat another child to death might not go over too well.

Not to mention that finding an entire cast of skilled child actors to pull off the film would have been a tremendous challenge, especially since they age considerably over the course of the story.

StewShearer:
The Ender's Game movie has been gifted with a final, explosion filled trailer before its November release.

Which is odd, because I can't remember a single explosion in the entire book.

StewShearer:
It might have more to do with the film studio (and audiences to be frank) probably not being comfortable putting so much child on child violence in a film. In the book Ender is kindergarten age when he first enters Battle School. Some people were shocked by the Hunger Games. Watching a 9 year old beat another child to death might not go over too well.

And of course, Ender was only 6 and hadn't had any military training at all when he committed his first murder.

Not to mention that finding an entire cast of skilled child actors to pull off the film would have been a tremendous challenge, especially since they age considerably over the course of the story.

I think the bigger challenge would simply be that not a single character ever acts even remotely like a child. Making them older so that some of it can actually make sense isn't just an acceptable change, I don't see how it could possibly be done without.

That said, I still think the film is likely to suck. The book has two focusses - the thoughts of a bunch of super-intelligent but brainwashed children, and said children playing laser tag. As a side focus, a couple of other kids try to take over the world through the power of blogging. It's just not the sort of thing that's ever going to look good on the big screen. And how to the trailers try to let us know they've figured out how to actually film such a tricky adaptation? Explosions. I don't expect adaptations in different media to be exact copies, but I'll be amazed if this bears any resemblance to the book at all.

The problem with this movie is going to be the approval/involvement of Orson Scott Card. He's actually got some sort of script oversight, iirc.

The problem there is that "Ender's Game"-era Orson Scott Card was a clever, witty peacenik with the political attitudes to refuse to pull any punches in writing one of the most adamantly, vehemently anti-war and anti-bigotry science fiction short stories in the history of the English language, which didn't hesitate even for an instant to directly conflate the US's military practices with the darkest transgressions of the Soviet empire and ended in a dark moral statement about some actions rendering one truly irredeemable, no matter how one regrets.

2013 Orson Scott Card is a military-loving America first Mormon conservative that approves of our adventures in the middle east and thinks bigotry is just dandy, who has spent several decades trying his hardest to undo the moral of the story in every way he thinks possible, including redeeming the tale's sociopathic protagonist and un-genociding a species using rainbow space magic and the power of friendship, and shoved religious themes into EVERYTHING even when they have nothing to do with setting or story.

... you can see why fans of the book might be a bit hesitant to see 2013 OSC adapting Ender's Game OSC's masterwork to the screen. Even with politics aside, that's kinda putting the person that understands the story the least of anyone in charge of the adaptation.

StewShearer:

Flatfrog:

Fair points, but I think they could have got round them without quite so dramatically missing the point of the book. They could have made them ten/eleven, and condensed the action of the story into a year. There's plenty of talented young actors who could pull it off at that age (with the help of a decent director, at least). And yes, watching kids kill each other would be uncomfortable (I'd bet anything they cut that from the movie as it is) but again, that's where the power of the story comes from - the betrayal of innocence. Otherwise, as Kahani says, it's kids playing laser tag to control giant space ships and kill bug-monsters - it might as well be Pacific Rim.

Kahani:
The book has two focusses - the thoughts of a bunch of super-intelligent but brainwashed children, and said children playing laser tag. As a side focus, a couple of other kids try to take over the world through the power of blogging.

Lol. But you missed the third strand - kid gets psychoanalysed through a game of Skyrim.

I hope they put more emphasis on the more human aspect of the book, with the psychological tormenting of the main character and all, than the trailer suggests. I'm not overly concerned about that though, I wouldn't expect that to be the kind of stuff they'd put in a trailer. Besides, they wouldn't go through the trouble of assembling such an A-list cast of child actors if they didn't require them to turn in some pretty heavy performances. So yeah, not the world's most engaging trailer, but I still think this has the potential to be good.

You are kidding me.

Go to 0:15 seconds into the trailer. Now compare it to this.

What the hell, trailer? Are you so lazy that you have to steal entire clips from other mediocre movies just to make yourself slightly less generic somehow?

cricket chirps:
They danced around it the whole trailer with far too direct lines like "your the only one" and "you can save us all" when in the book it could be ANY of the students.

I was wondering about that myself. Been a while since I read the book, but I thought that Ender was pretty much just another Battle School student, maybe more promising than most, but he wasn't some sort of Chosen One like the trailer makes him out to be. At least, not until maybe late in the book after he leaves Battle School and had demonstrated that he was an exceptional tactician. The purpose of the Battle School was to filter out the promising candidates for Command School, so presumably there were pretty good candidates before Ender, and would have been more after him had he not worked out.

Harrison Ford looks like he just wants to get back his nap.

I have no expectations for this movie and I didn't care for the book. Maybe my opinion is bad.

Ldude893:
You are kidding me.

Go to 0:15 seconds into the trailer. Now compare it to this.

What the hell, trailer? Are you so lazy that you have to steal entire clips from other mediocre movies just to make yourself slightly less generic somehow?

I dunno if it's "stealing", since both films are being distributed by Summit Entertainment, but that's still dumb to just reuse stock footage. Good eye

Eppy (Bored):
...was there a SINGLE shot of Battle School itself anywhere in that trailer?

1:15, 1:26. It's only like 6 total seconds though. Which is disappointing, since it looks like they're going to be focusing on the final space battles, which ran like 10 pages on my paperback, rather than the other 90% of the book

RobotDinosaur:

cricket chirps:
They danced around it the whole trailer with far too direct lines like "your the only one" and "you can save us all" when in the book it could be ANY of the students.

I was wondering about that myself. Been a while since I read the book, but I thought that Ender was pretty much just another Battle School student, maybe more promising than most, but he wasn't some sort of Chosen One like the trailer makes him out to be. At least, not until maybe late in the book after he leaves Battle School and had demonstrated that he was an exceptional tactician. The purpose of the Battle School was to filter out the promising candidates for Command School, so presumably there were pretty good candidates before Ender, and would have been more after him had he not worked out.

I just read the book again, and before most chapters, Graff and somebody else are talking about how Ender could be "The One", but nobody ever says anything outright to Ender until he finishes Battle School, and that's 3/4 of the way through the book

Mr.K.:
You seriously need to put "spoiler heavy" in the title because the trailer bullet points make a very clear outline of the plot even if you haven't read the books, if you want to enjoy this to the fullest do not watch this trailer.

Hopefully the movie goes deep enough for this spoiler be mitigated but it's an incredibly stupid thing to do none the less.

I haven't read the books and don't really plan to, so would it be possible for you to tell me what this spoiler is? Maybe in a message or something?

OT: Looks pretty flashy. I was hoping for so more character-oriented trailers but I guess Hollywood still believes CGI sells a movie.

Saucycarpdog:
I haven't read the books and don't really plan to, so would it be possible for you to tell me what this spoiler is? Maybe in a message or something?

I highly recommend reading the book before having it spoiled, but...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here