War of the Vikings Gets Norse On Your Horse

War of the Vikings Gets Norse On Your Horse

War of the Vikings, from the people who brought you War of the Roses, promises to be the latest and greatest thing in axe-in-the-face gameplay.

I rather enjoyed the time I spent with War of the Roses last year, so it pleases me greatly to say that developer Fatshark is hard at work on a new project that will bring a whole new level of fidelity to the "remorseless multiplayer slaughter" genre: War of the Vikings, which, as you might have guessed, will involve hordes of burly men horrifically mutilating and murdering one another with primitive weaponry.

"War of the Roses was a fantastic experience for us to launch, and as it's evolved over time, eventually growing into its current Kingmaker edition, we've been inspired many times over by the possibilities of the close-combat genre," War of the Roses Executive Producer Gordon Van Dyke, said. "It's clear to us that that there are many more experiences we can share with our players, and War of the Vikings is our next step in establishing Paradox and Fatshark as leaders in the art of online war."

War of the Vikings will pit the raiding forces of the Norse against the stalwart defenses of the Saxons in 9th and 10th century England, in battles of up to 64 players at a time. Like its predecessor, the game will feature a wide range of historically-accurate weapons, armor, and environments, and highly-customizable soldiers with unique perks, taunts and "a variety of beard options." Seriously.

War of the Vikings won't be ready to launch until early 2014, but gamers who dig this sort of manly violence can sign up for the alpha now at signup.warofthevikings.com. While you wait for that to pay off, you can also poke at the game a little bit on Facebook.

This would be awesome (same as War of the Roses) if it wasn't multiplayer only and actually had some form of single player campaign. If it is selling very cheap I might still buy it though.

Robbaz will be pleased.

I probably will give it a miss though, seeing how disappointed I was with WotR. Maybe if it goes on sale, which it probably will be quite soon, being a Paradox game.

Germanicus:
This would be awesome (same as War of the Roses) if it wasn't multiplayer only and actually had some form of single player campaign. If it is selling very cheap I might still buy it though.

Agreed.
I really liked Mount and Blade and WoTR is basically Warband's multiplayer mode but prettier and worse ranged combat. Having that in a big epic single player thing... glorious.

First man to ask about horned helmets is getting raped and pillaged.

As someone above me said these games are already very similar to Mount and Blade. We already have King Ragnar's boys in that game, so it likely isn't so hard to make the same game but prettier... For the second time.

Yes, lead the Great Heathen Army against the pitiful defenses of the English! In the name of the Sons' of Ragnar Lodbrock, expand the Danelaw and forge the Kingdom of Jorvik! Sorry, I'll calm down now. I just kinda have a thing for my Norse ancestors... this looks really awesome.

sounds manly.

I will anticipate it's release, though I do hope they do refine the perk system they had going on.
heavy armour shock troops that get revived in three seconds are no fun.

Germanicus:

What's that? A viking clan simulator where you have to raid villages along the coast with your hand-picked band of men in Mount & Blade style combat?

Why yes, that would be awesome.

What's this? ANOTHER third-person hack & slash game just with a Viking topcoat?

But we already have Chivalry and War of the Roses...

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a fine game, but it seems more like it should be some sort of expansion, possibly standalone, for War of the Roses. Don't see why it should be a whole new game, and it's probably bad for both games that it is. Going to split the community while probably not being much different aside from theme based on how long it took them to come out with this.

While this might end up splitting the community, I think I'm liking the setting of this better.
Also, they'll probably have learned a bit from WotR along the way this time. Plus, it looks like they do't have those insane tank armors, which were a pain in the ass to take down. Hopefully it will be more about swinging your sword right, than how to tank right.

Great setting for a game, I just hope they do something else with the gameplay because War of the Roses plays like ass.

Ohh, that is actually pretty fucking sweet to see. I myself, have been looking forward to games that stars Vikings in it, though I wasn't actually a fan of War of the Roses, this might actually get a purchase for me in the future, depending of course on the fact that if it is actually fun to play and looks aesthetically pleasing.

Interesting, even though you can see the obvious markings of it being a WotR reskin right now. Perhaps WotR and WotV are just baby steps to a new Mount & Blade?

Meh. cRPG mod for Mount & Blade Warband is still the best skill based melee game by far. WoTR and Chivalry are way too arcadey and simple; since this is from the makers of WoTR I expect it will also be simple and silly compared to cRPG.

Just creamed my shorts, the time has come to blast that Bathory, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Ereb Altor, really any Viking themed band I can think of while playing this game.

"From the Fury of the Northmen Deliver Us O'Lord"

Erm... is this O'Lord chap supposed to be some noble warrior of dubious Irish heritage?

I would have thought a development team so devoted to 'historical accuracy' (their words) would have been aware of the correct usage of the vocative particle. :|

Looks nice but really whats it got that i dont already get in war of the roses?

Dr.Awkward:
Interesting, even though you can see the obvious markings of it being a WotR reskin right now. Perhaps WotR and WotV are just baby steps to a new Mount & Blade?

Well we already know that Mount and Blade: Bannerlord is currently in development at Taleworlds, but Paradox won't have anything to do with it this time because Taleworlds will be self publishing. Maybe that is why they started the "War of the..." franchise.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here