Humble Bundle Teams Up With Origin

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Humble Bundle Teams Up With Origin

The Humble Origin Bundle may not exactly be "humble," but it's still a fantastic collection of games including Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge and more - and it's all for charity.

Okay, yes, it's Origin, and I'm sure that's not going to win this Humble Bundle any popularity points. But if you can get past that, it's also a really solid deal. For as little as $1, you get Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Mirror's Edge and Medal of Honor, plus the soundtracks for Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3. And if you pay more than the average price, you also get Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 Starter Pack, which includes The Sims 3, two expansions and "additional bonus content."

What if you hate Origin so much that you can't even bring yourself to pony up a fiver for all this stuff? Everything in the bundle is available via Origin, obviously, but believe it or not EA is also giving out Steam keys for all games in the bundle that are currently on Steam: Dead Space, Crysis 2, Burnout Paradise, Medal of Honor and Mirror's Edge.

And for those who can't stand the idea of EA getting its hands on your green, here's another cool twist: All money raised will go to one of five very worthwhile charities: The Human Rights Campaign, which advocates for equal rights for the LGBT community, Watsi, a funding platform for medical treatments, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, the American Red Cross and the American Cancer Society. You can still offer a tip to the Humble Bundle folks, but EA and Origin aren't taking a thing.

So come on. Maybe you don't like EA, maybe you don't like Origin, maybe Medal of Honor was a mess, but there are some really good games in here, really cheap, and you literally cannot give EA money for them. You don't even have to use Origin for most of them if you don't want to. I think that deserves some credit.

The Humble Origin Bundle runs until 11 am PDT on August 28.

I really don't like EA, and I'm trying to swear myself off of buying any with their logo printed on it, I have to admit it's tempting to try and get several games really cheap. On the other hand, that also means dealing with Origins again... but on the other, other hand, paying a buck would make me feel like I'm screwing over EA, which is good. But I'm giving them money... which is bad... damn these conflicting emotions.

My, that's a nice bundle. Only thing missing for my taste would be Dead Space 2! And EA not taking anything? Well, I recently heard that EA is trying to better their image (while Nintendo apparently wants to take up their old mantle...), so... good for them, I say. Publicity for EA, money for charity, games for us... seems like a great deal. :-)

EDIT:

dragongit:
But I'm giving them money... which is bad... damn these conflicting emotions.

Read the article again. Supposedly, EA takes nothing. And when I bought the bundle, the sliders only applied to the various charities and the Humble Tip, which would seem to support that notion.

That is pretty cool of EA, I never expected to see them on the humble bundle. Strange that Deadspace 2 isn't there though.

While I strongly dislike EA, Origin, and most of their practices, I have to give credit where it's due here. This is a really solid deal and a nice gesture for EA to give their portion to charity.

Unfortunately, I already own Mirror's Edge and Dead Space (which I didn't like) and have little to no interest in Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Deadspace 3, Burnout, or the Sims 3. The only game that I'd maybe want is Crysis 2 and that would only be for me to use as a benchmark for my PC.

Long story short, I probably won't be buying this, although it looks like a pretty great deal if you're interested in those games.

The bastards, this is a darn clever ruse to get me to install Origin isn't it? I may just have to get it, if only because I've heard that Dead Space 3 is decent if you ignore the paid dlc nonsense.

Hoooooooooleeeeeeeeeeee balls.

Congratulations, EA. You have, somehow, managed to outdo a Steam Sale, all while supporting charities and making yourselves look positively saintly in the process. Well, well done.

There may be hope for you after all.

Heck, I'm tempted to redirect all my money I spend on this to EA (or I would, if I could). They've done a damn good thing, they deserve a carrot instead of a stick.

Is this opposite day? What's going on? WHERE ARE MY PANTS???

Oh, and what happened to Dead Space 2? I'd rather get 1&2 instead of 1&3. That doesn't make any sense.

Still buying it.

EDIT #1: Aaaand can't redeem any keys on Origin right now, probably due to massive traffic.

EDIT #2: A message just popped up on Origin:

Window title: Message of the Day

Content: Code Redemption is temporarily unavailable. We have top agents working on it. Please try again later.

I have to wonder what passes for a "top agent" over there.

Humble are being slated on their own blog now. They've come a long way from their cross platform non-DRM days. No chance in hell of me touching this.

EA will see this as an opportunity to boost the numbers of people using the malware that is Origin and probably claim the charitable donations in their tax returns.

lacktheknack:

Congratulations, EA. You have, somehow, managed to outdo a Steam Sale, all while supporting charities and making yourselves look positively saintly in the process. Well, well done.

Heck, I'm tempted to redirect all my money I spend on this to EA. They've done a damn good thing, they deserve a carrot instead of a stick.

If you remove one or two layers from a twelve layer shitcake you still have ten layers of shit.

That's quite a bundle, but I dislike Steam or anything that says I can't play games I buy without an always on connection, and Origin can kiss me where I'm rosiest. If they'd wanted to win my money they could have made these DRM free.

Wow. John Riccitiello wouldn't have allowed this!

Let's be honest, the real reason that EA is doing this is to get more people onto Origin and more people invested in their franchises. But, eh, what's the point in being cynical when you can get this many games for so cheap?

As TotalBiscuit just said on Twitter:

If Valve did it people would be nominating them for a Nobel Peace Prize

Doom972:
Oh, and what happened to Dead Space 2? I'd rather get 1&2 instead of 1&3. That doesn't make any sense.

Heh. You know, now that I think about this, that may actually be intentional...
"What happens between those two games? I want to know!"
"Then why don't you buy Dead Space 2 at the current retail price?"
"Oh. Guess I'll have to."
Man, assuming some hidden motives like that just comes so naturally with EA.

Icehearted:

lacktheknack:

Heck, I'm tempted to redirect all my money I spend on this to EA. They've done a damn good thing, they deserve a carrot instead of a stick.

If you remove one or two layers from a twelve layer shitcake you still have ten layers of shit.

That's quite a bundle, but I dislike Steam or anything that says I can't play games I buy without an always on connection, and Origin can kiss me where I'm rosiest. If they'd wanted to win my money they could have made these DRM free.

You don't need an always-on connection for either service...

Also, they removed ALL of the layers of crap. I'm no longer mad at them. Not even for what they're doing to Mirror's Edge 2. As far as I'm concerned, they're once again tabula rasa.

I am very surprised that EA is doing something like this. Good deal for 200 dollars worth of games though.

I would need to install Origin to play Sims 3. Ergghhhhh. That is something I don't want to do. XD

Icehearted:
If they'd wanted to win my money they could have made these DRM free.

Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money.

happy_turtle:
They've come a long way from their cross platform non-DRM days. No chance in hell of me touching this.

Hm. Yeah, I can totally understand that POV. But on the other hand, Humble have done similar things before in cooperation with THQ and Deep Silver and maybe others I missed. Not just with Indie Developers but mainstream publishers. Admittedly, EA is one of the biggest, but still.

Already had Origin installed so this was a no-brainer. Looking forward to what they add next week for those that beat the average.

Skeleon:

Doom972:

That's pretty clear. It's sneaky but fair since they aren't getting a dime from this bundle. If they do it to get people to open Origin accounts and get Dead Space 2 and later on Battlefield 4, I can only call it good marketing. I like this approach and hope that EA stick with it.

Skeleon:
My, that's a nice bundle. Only thing missing for my taste would be Dead Space 2! And EA not taking anything? Well, I recently heard that EA is trying to better their image (while Nintendo apparently wants to take up their old mantle...), so... good for them, I say. Publicity for EA, money for charity, games for us... seems like a great deal. :-)

EDIT:

dragongit:
But I'm giving them money... which is bad... damn these conflicting emotions.

Read the article again. Supposedly, EA takes nothing. And when I bought the bundle, the sliders only applied to the various charities and the Humble Tip, which would seem to support that notion.

Oh, my mistake. Then I have less qualms over getting the bundle now. Though I do wish Dead Space 2 was included, just weird to have a gap in between, but I guess I can always wait for a steam sale for it.

They take origin off of these then I'll get it.

I wouldn't use origin if I was paid to, so this'll have to be the first Humble Bundle I'll not get.

happy_turtle:
Humble are being slated on their own blog now. They've come a long way from their cross platform non-DRM days. No chance in hell of me touching this.

Psssst.

Scroll to the top of the HumbleBundle page.

See the tab labeled "Weekly Sale"?

Click it.

Boom, there's their current cross-platform no-DRM sale, from one of the best indie developers in gaming.

See how many bundles they've sold in the last six days?

Now, compare this to how many bundles EA has sold in two hours.

Hmmm.

I think I'll just stick a middle finger to the idiots attacking Humble Bundle for the insidious crime that is "trying to raise more charity money than normal".

EDIT: Went and read the comments on the blog. I wish to punch 95% in the face over and over and over and over until they get the tiniest bit of perspective and begin acting like sane humans again.

We claim to live in an age of enlightenment and knowledge, but all I see is bull-headed idiocy.

Worgen:
They take origin off of these then I'll get it.

Denamic:
I wouldn't use origin if I was paid to, so this'll have to be the first Humble Bundle I'll not get.

MinionJoe:
Electronic Arts would have to buy me a computer before I would ever risk installing Origin on any hardware that I own.

Anyone who feels the same but wants to contribute to EA's chosen charities, links are below:

snip

Four of the five first-tier games have Steam keys.

Read. The. Blasted. Article. Before. Commenting.

Skeleon:

Icehearted:

Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money.

I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.

lacktheknack:

Also, they removed ALL of the layers of crap. I'm no longer mad at them. Not even for what they're doing to Mirror's Edge 2. As far as I'm concerned, they're once again tabula rasa.

Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout. When I moved to my current home I was without internet (except for my 1gb per month on a cell) for 5 months. That meant that any games I owned, fully paid for and all, I was unable to play because of that garbage. The games I could play were GOG and console only, of course the exception to that being that on my Xbox 360 I couldn't play my indies without online access.

So again, it's an internet based DRM, and for that they can suck it.

Edit: I don't know what happened to the quotes. Fixed.

just bought this, beat the average to access battlefield 3 and sims 3, installed origin (should say reinstalled, but i only ever had it on my last pc) and tried to redeem the codes... and i've got a neverending loading circle and no way to play the games.

I fully expect the issue to be fixed at a later date, but as far as being able to establish a new first-impression after the last time I installed Origin (to play the ME3 demo) it has not done a brilliant job!

Icehearted:

lacktheknack:

Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout-

False. Four months later, my never-online laptop still opens Steam and lets me play.

Please use correct reasons when constructing an argument against something.

Skeleon:

Doom972:

Maybe, or they could be saving Dead Space 2 for the mid-bundle "pot sweetening" that Hunble Bundles generally seem to have.

It seems like a good way to get people invested in Origin. I know I'm way too far hooked into Steam at this point. Seems odd that most of the games have Steam keys too though. Maybe they're trying to earn some goodwill. I mean EA doesn't get money and you don't necessarily have to use Origin (unless you want a game that ends in 3).

I am getting a little burnt out on Humble Bundles though. My backlog of games I never get around to playing just keeps growing and growing.

Icehearted:

Skeleon:

Icehearted:

Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money. /quote]I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.
[quote="lacktheknack" post="7.825342.20018249"]You don't need an always-on connection for either service...

Perhaps not always on, but you are required to check in periodically, monthly or something thereabout. When I moved to my current home I was without internet (except for my 1gb per month on a cell) for 5 months. That meant that any games I owned, fully paid for and all, I was unable to play because of that garbage. The games I could play were GOG and console only, of course the exception to that being that on my Xbox 360 I couldn't play my indies without online access.

As far as I know, as long as you log into steam ONCE and then turn on offline mode, Steam will not hassle you to enable an internet connection again unless you try to play a game that requires you to be online... So I think you're wrong about this.

It's a nice bundle if you like those types of games I guess and it is nice they have Steam support but you still have to deal with Origin for a few of the games and I'm simply not interested in any of those games. Battlefied and Medal of Honour I wouldn't get even if it were for free.

Why is Dead Space 2 not offered? Are they hoping that people who get the bundle are going to buy it full price from Origin so they can continue the story once they beat Dead Space 1?

This is pretty damn fantastic from EA, I must say. Some excellent games there that you can get for next to nothing. Recommending this to all my PC playing friends.

lacktheknack:

Ahem...

Humble Origin Bundle games available on Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dead Space 1
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Mirror's Edge
Medal of Honor

From http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - Online play requires a MyCrysis account
Dead Space 1 - Contains inert SecuROM
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - requires EA Account
Mirror's Edge - requires EA Account, single-player only
Medal of Honor - requires EA Account

Just because an EA doesn't require Origin doesn't mean they're not going to sneak some malicious DRM or online requirements onto your system.

Sight Unseen:

Icehearted:

Skeleon:

Let me yet again reiterate that apparently EA doesn't get any of the money. /quote]I know that, I read that, I wasn't specifically referring to EA.
[quote="lacktheknack" post="7.825342.20018249"]You don't need an always-on connection for either service...

As far as I know, as long as you log into steam ONCE and then turn on offline mode, Steam will not hassle you to enable an internet connection again unless you try to play a game that requires you to be online... So I think you're wrong about this.

Seconded. Steam is always in offline mode on my laptop and I was never forced to go online. Even better, in recent patches they made it so if your last Steam session was online, you closed Steam, and now want to run it again but aren't online, Steam will run on offline mode. So that complaint is no longer relevant in the slightest.

As for Origin - no idea. Never tried using it offline for extended periods of time.

MinionJoe:

lacktheknack:

Ahem...

Humble Origin Bundle games available on Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dead Space 1
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Mirror's Edge
Medal of Honor

From http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - Online play requires a MyCrysis account
Dead Space 1 - Contains inert SecuROM
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - requires EA Account
Mirror's Edge - requires EA Account, single-player only
Medal of Honor - requires EA Account

Just because an EA doesn't require Origin doesn't mean they're not going to sneak some malicious DRM or online requirements onto your system.

Completely and entirely irrelevant to my post. The three people I was quoting were complaining of forced Origin use, which they were 95% chance complaining about because people think it's brimming with spyware and rootkits (it's UBISOFT that's doing that, dammit!). Guess what the EA account can't do.

Not that the EA account is even an issue. Once you've logged in, you never have to do it again... ever. It's there for survey and counting customers. We've been doing this since the early 2000s.

If that's somehow still unacceptable to you (because you refuse to use logic and are the pettiest man in existence), then fine, don't buy it.

Inert SecuROM = dead SecuROM = relic SecuROM = not DRM.
EA Account = not DRM or "online requirement".

Leave the sensationalism to Daily Mail, please.

Worgen:
I've already got the ones of those on steam I care about, the only 2 that interest me are dead space 3 and bf3, but both of those require origin.

Reported for jerkiness.

Beyond that, you gave no context. If you want people to respond to your posts correctly, give them correct context. Withholding relevant info and then being smug when someone doesn't read your mind doesn't make you clever, it gets you on ignore lists.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here