Call of Duty: Ghosts Lets You Play as a Woman

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Call of Duty: Ghosts Lets You Play as a Woman

Call of Duty: Ghosts' first multiplayer trailer also shows off some new game modes.

Call of Duty has always been been a "boys game." Often associated with frat boys and "dudebros," an average match would see more obscenities flung than a sailor on shore leave. But it now looks like Infinity Ward is trying to shake this stereotype, showing us in the Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer reveal trailer that female soldiers will be playable (or at least, present) in multiplayer.

We only see the female soldier for a brief moment at the end of the trailer, but Call of Duty soldiers are so heavily covered in armor, that it's pretty hard to tell what their gender is anyway, especially as the trailer offers little in the way of voice overs. The trailer also reveals that your faithful companion from the singleplayer campaign, the dog, will also have a part to play in multiplayer.

The trailer, which you can check out above, shows plenty of the CoD action we are used to seeing, but also spills the beans on a couple of new multiplayer modes. "Search And Rescue" has you recover dog tags to "rescue" captured teammates, while "Cranked," inspired by the movie of the same name, is a pretty interesting mode in which subsequent kills will increase a player's speed, but if they fail to kill someone else within 30 seconds they will die.

Other features shown include increasingly destructible environments, new weapons, and new killstreak rewards, including the return of the dreaded "tactical nuke" from Modern Warfare 2, though this time it looks like the match will continue after it has been dropped.

But in the end it's basically the same Call of Duty multiplayer you've been playing for ten years now. Not that it is a particularly bad thing, you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Source: YouTube

As much as I dislike the CoD series, I will give them credit for being one of the first AAA shooters in a while (apart from Halo) to have female PC's. Of course, this is CoD we're talking about. With a community with so many dudebros, ten year-olds and gun fetishists, either no-one will play as them unless they want so much misogyny thrown their way they'd never set foot online again, or everyone will play as them and just look at each other's butts all day whenever they're not polishing their rifle barrels. I weep for the sane CoD fans that'll have to put up with that.

Way to go Infinity Ward?? *head explodes*

Seriously this is quite progressive

I still would not buy it but I like this direction.

I like how they added a kitchen level.

That was sarcasm.

Well unless the online community improves dramatically, I can see the tagline now.
Call of Duty: Ghosts
We put the Miss in Missogyny.

Oh noes! Call of Duty has been neutered!

Remember kids: dawgs before bitches.

Edit: It's kind of strange how this is apparently progressive now... Medal of Honor: Underground had Manon Batiste as the player character back in 2000. They even put her on the box art without anyone throwing a fit!

oh, I see how it is, feature the dog at E3, but stick the woman at the tail end of the last few seconds

(but really, gesture appreciated)

This...this is actually a pretty big deal. That's kind of sad for the state of video games, or perhaps just modern FPS's, but it's true.

While CoD's multiplayer community is still rather hostile, this is a great step forward. Maybe this is the first part of fixing that community by forcing it to acknowledge that people outside of the white male demographic actually exist.

I know there are going to be people saying "oh big deal, why is this news?" I get why, and I really wish that were the case. But sadly such is the state of things that, yes, this is actually big news.

Kudos....Infinity Ward.

I like how everyone so far has applauded Infinity Ward for this move. I, too, give them props. I probably still won't buy it, but its good to see them making smart, progressive decisions.

Part of me feels like its just a PR move to appear less bro-tastic, but hey, even if it is a PR move its a PR move in the right direction.

... Whow.

Infinity Ward along with anyone behind the makings of CoD knows just how bad multiplayer can be. Any sign of a female getting on the mic (or her gamertag is obviously showing she's a girl) gets assaulted like the 4th of July. A lot of awful things are said, I would know because almost every lobby especially in Search & Destroy... people bad mouth and insult my girlfriend when she plays.

But here in the trailer, it showed a female modeled soldier??! That's gusty of the company to do, I mean seriously it's gusty indeed.
My fear however, is that the vile communicating will only increase and it'll get worse. But that's why there's a mute button on the mic or just on the people period lol.

Also, they... they added INFECTED again?!! Aaaahhhhhhhhhh yeeaaahhhhh, I loved that mode in Modern Warfare 3. I may just end up getting this after all. Maybe..

So? Let me play as a drunken scottish dwarf and I'll be impressed.

Though as expected. This gets done, and people still complain. You mean women have the same trash talk from a screeching 12 year old just like everyone else? Shocking! You'll have to try pretty hard to convince me someone getting "kitchen" comments screamed at them is any different or worse than hearing "faggot" and "nigger" from random games.

So progressive /sarcasm.

I don't understand all the hooplah about this. So you can play as a girl, big deal. I could play as a female in Halo and L4D as well.

Holler at me when COD actually does something good/different/progressive/whatever.

Why is this a big deal? Progressive? Bullshit. This is CoD being way behind the times. A current gen game shouldn't have to have one of its "big innovations" be something as trivial and simple as gender selection. Bravo, IW, for implementing a feature that has been commonplace since the early 90s.

Didn't the Battlefield people also tease the use of female characters in their upcoming game? I seem to recall an almost identical trailer for Battlefield 4 that differed only in that the animations looked smoother, the destruction was better, and there were far less dogs.

Well, they did report that Black ops 2 sold slower. I'm sure there are people on here who would just buy it because of the "oh my gosh! A playable woman in a game!"...Pathetic.

This is considered progressive now?

It's just a fucking new costume. There is no substance here. Playing as a female in Call of Duty's multiplayer will change absolutely nothing save for earning you immediate sexual advances.

Now, if we could play as the dog...

mad825:
Well, they did report that Black ops 2 sold slower. I'm sure there are people on here who would just buy it because of the "oh my gosh! A playable woman in a game!"...Pathetic.

Which is funny because Black Ops 2 had a playable female character. With a name, voice and full charactisation. Misty from Zombies. And in SP, in a Strike Force mission, it was entirely possible to play Chloe Lynch from the campaign (tho you had to fail a previous campaign mission for that or select it afterwards)
And before that, we had Sarah Michelle Gellar as... herself. Again, in Zombies (Call of the Dead Map, a DLC). And before THAT was Tanya Pavelovna in "Finest Hour".

It only took them six years since Modern Warfare to do it. They may have featured women in supporting roles, but as far as player characters go, Infinity Ward has been slow on the gun compared to Spark and Treyarch.

Couldn't you play as a woman in Call of Duty Finest Hour?
I think there was a level where you played as a female sniper...
ODD that this wasn't in the following games until now, unless it was in another COD game too, or I could be remembering wrong too.

...I'm honestly just more excited about the soldier customization. It's been a longstanding gripe with me in the series' multiplayer.

Kaleion:
ODD that this wasn't in the following games until now, unless it was in another COD game too, or I could be remembering wrong too.

As stated above, you ARE wrong. Want a list of all playable female characters? Here you go:

Tanya Pavelovna - Finest Hour Singleplayer
Sarah Michelle Gellar Black Ops 1 Zombies (Call of the Dead)
Chloe Lynch - Black Ops 2 Singleplayer (Strike Force Mission "Second Chance", possible to select,only available if you fail 'Karma' or replay)
Abigail "Misty" Briarton - Black Ops 2 Zombies (Green Run, Die Rise, Buried)

So, yes, female playable characters are nothing new to the series. It's just a first for the Multiplayer.

I wish this wasn't a big deal, because then it wouldn't be so sad. No. Wash out the gobshites in the multiplayer community with lye and we'll start getting somewhere. At least if Infinity Ward of all people start making some baby steps then it hopefully means that other devs with other properties are slightly more likely to start making baby steps of their own.

I'm curious, How many people who haven't bought CoD before will buy it now because of this?

I get the feeling this is going to be one of those situations where no one that plays CoD cares, and all of those who do care don't care enough to go out and buy CoD.

So when the game sells the lowest number of copies it has in years, most likely due to the current economic climate the blame will ultimately be laid upon the inclusion of female player models and gender diversity in games will be set back another 20 years.

Not going to buy it either way, but its good see that they've taken the time to add a slightly different character model.

Bindal:

Kaleion:

As stated above, you ARE wrong. Want a list of all playable female characters? Here you go:

Chloe Lynch - Black Ops 2 Singleplayer (Strike Force Mission "Second Chance", possible to select,only available if you fail 'Karma' or replay)

So, yes, female playable characters are nothing new to the series. It's just a first for the Multiplayer.

Well that's just odd, why did they wait to do it until now?
I mean it's not like it's hard and they already had the assets and animations, it would have costed next to nothing to do it, I don't understand, sounds like they were being lazy.

<============ Cynical asshole.

So is this supposed to be progressive or something? We got MP gender selection. Whoo-bloody-hoo. Besides, the old WW2 CoD games let us play as women in SP for a few levels (and in Zombies we had a female option), so this isn't even new to the series. Call me when they make the surviving SP protagonist someone other than an English-speaking white dude, then we'll talk about them being progressive.

Wait, what? Call of Duty didn't have any female PCs before? Whaaaa..?

That's seriously messed up. I don't play multiplayer shooters (thanks for reminding me why) but this should have been there since the beginning. I mean, the games simulate the US army, right? Which has had female soldiers for a long time now? Crazy.

So... can you play as a female Muslim soldier?

Just to kick it up a notch.

Maybe you could play as a Muslim bitch!

Call of Duty Dog... in a Burqa!

I just think it's sad that this is a thing, i mean have we actually gone backwards? look at Goldeneye, a game following one of the most sexist men in fiction, this had playable female characters in the multiplayer, and in the super advance age of 2013 this happening is considered news. Ah well could be worse, they could be games workshop.

Raiyan 1.0:
Oh noes! Call of Duty has been neutered!

Remember kids: dawgs before bitches.

Edit: It's kind of strange how this is apparently progressive now... Medal of Honor: Underground had Manon Batiste as the player character back in 2000. They even put her on the box art without anyone throwing a fit!

I'll see your MOH: Underground and raise you a Perfect Dark, from the same year.

And this is old hat anyway. Goldeneye's default multiplayer player 1 and 2 way back in 1997 were Bond and Natalya... for some odd reason... and in Perfect Dark the default player 1 and 2 in multiplayer were both women.

Noswad:
and in the super advance age of 2013 this happening is considered news.

Women in this super advanced age of 2013 still aren't allowed to serve in front line combat in the US military.
Here they are, hence it's considered news.

VanBasten:

Noswad:
and in the super advance age of 2013 this happening is considered news.

Women in this super advanced age of 2013 still aren't allowed to serve in front line combat in the US military.
Here they are, hence it's considered news.

I hadn't realised Call of Duty only includes things that happen in real life.

Noswad:
I hadn't realised Call of Duty only includes things that happen in real life.

Then you must have missed every marketing campaign of every modern military shooter ever.
All of them are completely realistic in their depiction of soldiers, weapons and events.

What is wrong with this industry when this is considered news? I mean, seriously.

Bindal:

Kaleion:

Well, theres God knows how many COD games, and yet you only listed 4 female characters. While nothing new, it can be understandable to think that having female characters in game is pretty fucking rare.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here