Notch Makes Zombie FPS Shambles at Game Jam

Notch Makes Zombie FPS Shambles at Game Jam

Notch's latest creation is a high score-centric zombie shooter made in Unity.

The 7DFPS game jam has come to an end and among the creations to come out of it is Shambles, a zombie-centric shooter developed by Markus "Notch" Persson of Minecraft fame. Built with Unity, Shambles gives players a gun, some bullets and some health and then tosses them into a zombie apocalypse where things work a bit differently than you might expect.

While you do participate in tried and tested activities like shooting the undead, the game was designed so that players will often be forced to turn the gun on civilians and soldiers as well. Civilians, you see, drop health packs when they die, while shooting soldiers, who also shoot zombies themselves, can yield a new weapon that could be an improvement over the one currently in your hands. Zombies, in turn, will drop yellow orbs that increase your score. Seeing as the object of the game is to earn a high score in addition to simple survival, you're going to want to be grabbing those too. Zombies can also infect civilians and soldiers, giving you all the more reason to be less discerning with your targets.

All in all, Shambles presents an interesting balancing act as you kill zombies while also presumably trying to limit your murder of fellow humans. Fast-paced and generally short lived; a game of Shambles isn't going to have the longevity of something like Minecraft. That said, it's still a lot of fun and it's always interesting to see what a high profile developer like Notch will do outside of the tropes and titles we associate them with. Players interested in giving it a try can download a version here, or a play it in their browser.

Source: Indie Games

This sounds interesting. I will have to test it out later today. While the zombie genre seems kinda sucked dry these days this seems a little fun since it will actually have the human component of betrayal involved.
Edit: Gave it a test run. Actually kinda fun.

I guess the organiser of 7DFPS should rename the event to 'Notch makes a game for us, oh and some other programmers make some games as well'.

Not to knock Notch or anything, but I really feel as he has already made it out of the chaotic mire that is self published indie game development, give others a chance.

The article would be more better served if it had highlighted a few other good games, and not just... oh Notch made a game at this event, this is the game.

ASnogarD:
The article would be more better served if it had highlighted a few other good games, and not just... oh Notch made a game at this event, this is the game.

Yeah, I have to agree. Schambles is a decent game, but it's not a particularly interesting one. I've played several entries that I feel are much more original and have better gameplay.

If Notch wasn't responsible for this game, it wouldn't even be reported.

Where are the other games from this event? I bet most of them are more interesting than yet another FPS with zombies?

If I were one of the other devs at this event, I'd find the lack of coverage upsetting. Still, Shambles is alright... till you accidently clip a soldier with a bullet as he runs in front of you, only to have all the soldiers turn on you.

Leave some innovation for us , Davinci!

On a more serious note, It's a zombie game, it has been done before.
Also, where is the coverage for the other submissions? Are they not up to Par to The Escapist's standard of 'game worthy of an entire news article'?

So it's trying to make us emulate a post apocalypse style raider who only cares about himself, through the use of simple FPS mechanics?

That's kind of neat I guess.

I agree with many of my fellow posters here. To distil the whole of the 7DFPS game jam to featuring one game by an already successful indie seems a little short sighted. I remember reading the the theme of this jam was to do something a little different with the FPS genre, not just your standard brown men/zombies.

There's some really cool ideas coming out of the jam, and yet all the news stories headline with "NOTCH MADE A GAME". I don't want to say "Shame on you Escapist" because it's patronising, but maybe it would have been cool to mention at least one of the other games? Maybe like First Person Seppuku, which has you trying to kill yourself whilst you still have honour.

Forget about interesting games like Rouge FPS or fun games like Spaghetti Armageddon, "ZOMG GUISE, NOTCH MADE A GAME AGAIN!!!1!"

StewShearer:
All in all, Shambles presents an interesting balancing act as you kill zombies while also presumably trying to limit your murder of fellow humans. Fast-paced and generally short lived; a game of Shambles isn't going to have the longevity of something like Minecraft. That said, it's still a lot of fun and it's always interesting to see what a high profile developer like Notch will do outside of the tropes and titles we associate them with. Players interested in giving it a try can download a version here, or a play it in their browser.

Okay, I get that playability is the first aesthetic people look at when judging a game, for the love of god, can we please judge this on a "mechanics as metaphor" basis? This isn't like Minecraft, where the apparent plot of the entire game was diarrhea, where it came out at the end, was complete waste beyond any recognition, meant absolutely nothing, and the thing never seemed to fucking end.

This is about the inhumanity of finding nourishment and self-sustenance by the murder of your fellow human in a world where its societal rules have been completely rewritten in the wake of the zombie apocalypse. It's vile, it's appalling, and yet, you have no other choice but to survive. That picture in and of itself deserves merit, and all you people seem to care about is "BUT IS IT FUN???" or "NOTCH IS TEH OVERRATED!" Just... *shakes head*

Grenge Di Origin:

StewShearer:

Okay, I get that playability is the first aesthetic people look at when judging a game, for the love of god, can we please judge this on a "mechanics as metaphor" basis? This isn't like Minecraft, where the apparent plot of the entire game was diarrhea, where it came out at the end, was complete waste beyond any recognition, meant absolutely nothing, and the thing never seemed to fucking end.

This is about the inhumanity of finding nourishment and self-sustenance by the murder of your fellow human in a world where its societal rules have been completely rewritten in the wake of the zombie apocalypse. It's vile, it's appalling, and yet, you have no other choice but to survive. That picture in and of itself deserves merit, and all you people seem to care about is "BUT IS IT FUN???" or "NOTCH IS TEH OVERRATED!" Just... *shakes head*

I would be willing to argue that Minecraft's mechanics (at least in vanilla SP Survival) do a much better job at conveying the themes of exploration and personal introspection emergently than the ending did, mostly because of the game's blocky, almost surrealist aesthetic in a sometimes very isolated feeling world, combined with the various creative possibilities.

The lack of serious discussion on the artistic merits of game design isn't present with these games exclusively, it's one that barely happens at all for the vast majority of video games, and when a discussion is happening, it usually gets buried under mountains of other gaming videos and articles. To me, that's the biggest reason gaming journalism generally isn't taken seriously, because most of it isn't taking the GAMES seriously! If we want to see more thoughtful, more artfully relevant games, we need to start showing our support for game developers who want to make those games a reality, but we can't do that if we treat all games like a trivial pass-time where pleasure is the only concern.

I know I should be paying more attention to the fact that Notch is making a new game but... that screenshot is from the game, right? If so... isn't that a recolored Nerf Gun? One of these?

This could make the game a lot more entertaining.

People are complaining about this only being made news because Notch made it but I can't help but feel this event really wouldn't be covered all that much without someone like him being involved. So it's pretty good that he did since it means general awareness of the thing goes up as well.

Hell, I didn't even know about it til today and I regularly check out gaming news sites.

It seems like a game made in 7 days all right. It's pretty fun, but gets old quick. I'm also a little sick of every game making you completely blind except for the worst flash light humanity has ever produced.

Exact same article and exact same responses as last time.

ASnogarD:
I guess the organiser of 7DFPS should rename the event to 'Notch makes a game for us, oh and some other programmers make some games as well'.

Not to knock Notch or anything, but I really feel as he has already made it out of the chaotic mire that is self published indie game development, give others a chance.

I have this problem too. I know for Ludum Dare when he competed all the press was reporting on his game, but he didn't even win the competition.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here