New Pokemon Anime Is Set In The First Generation

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

New Pokemon Anime Is Set In The First Generation

Pokemon: The Origin kicks it old school, and takes us back to the days when there were only 151 Pokemon.

If I were to scream out "I want to be, the very best," how many of you would reply "like no-one ever was"? The original Pokemon anime and videogames, back when mobile phones played snake, people wore their hats backwards, and there were only 150 (151 including Mew) of the creatures to collect is burned into the minds of many of our childhoods.

The Pokemon Company is taking advantage of that nostalgia by producing a brand new Pokemon anime, set during the first generation of Pokemon games (Red and Blue), and starring a new protagonist that's more like the videogame's Red than the anime's Ash Ketchum. It's called Pokemon: The Origin and it looks awesome.

The first official trailer for Pokemon: The Origin opens with tribute to the original Gameboy games, showing us the classic Nidorino vs. Gengar intro, complete with iconic soundtrack. It then shows us our new main character, who has chosen Charmander as his starting Pokemon. We're also greeted by some familiar faces, such as Professor Oak, Brock, and Blue/Rival (Gary Oaks' videogame counterpart), who, as he does in the videogames, has chosen the protagonists' starter Pokemon's natural counter: Squirtle.

The new anime will take place in the Kanto region of Pokemon Red and Blue (which was known as Pokemon Green in Japan).

Pokemon: The Origin will air in Japan on October 2nd on TV Tokyo at 7 pm, as a TV special. It's not known whether it will remain as a one-off special, or continue to be a full series. No US release date was given, but given the popularity of Pokemon, a future Western release is a given.

Source: The Pokemon Company via Siliconera

Damn I wish he picked Bulbasaur. No Bulbasaur = Fail.

Hope it isn't a one-shot, since this looks like it will have a hero who isn't dull as dish-water Ash (hell, dishwater has more personality)

Rossco64:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.

That is a funny way of saying Charmander is the best starter.

Rossco64:

But he is Red! How could he not pick charmander?

TizzytheTormentor:

Rossco64:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.

I agree, Squirtle is the best starter.

OT: I can NOT wait for this, it's gonna be amazing! I'm fanboying big time :3

TizzytheTormentor:
Hope it isn't a one-shot, since this looks like it will have a hero who isn't dull as dish-water Ash (hell, dishwater has more personality)

Rossco64:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.

That's a funny way of saying Squirtle mate.

You feeling okay?

Or is that just the Irish name for Squirtle?

Did you know Ash is one of the worst protagonists of all time? Red is a true boss and this is going to be awesome.

That voice, that voice the the sound of Japanese enthusiasm. It's wonderful.

And not a pikachu in sight.

Sounds like it could be interesting.

Notsomuch:
Did you know Ash is one of the worst protagonists of all time? Red is a true boss and this is going to be awesome.

That's the manga. From the looks of things, it seems to slant more towards the anime side than the manga one. Fine with me though, it looks to be more interesting than Ash the pokemon anime...

This anime does seem to have an ending. Bulbapedia however made it sound like a one time anime special.

I actually do hope that this becomes an OVA type of deal.

I also hope- if popular enough- it extends to the other games as well.

Squirtle must be the japanese name for Bulbasaur. It's going after the japanese logic after all. They are basing it on Red, so Green(Blue in the US) should pick the titular Squirtle(Bulbasaur.)

What's this argument about? Charmander is neutral against the first gym and at a disadvantage in the second, making him the most difficult starter of all three. Only the strongest trainers take that challenge.

somonels:
Green(Blue in the US)

Not quite. They changed it significantly to make Blue version (mostly in wild Pokémon locations), and in fact, Blue was later brought back to Japan.

P.S. Thanks

somonels:
Squirtle must be the japanese name for Bulbasaur. It's going after the japanese logic after all. They are basing it on Red, so Green(Blue in the US) should pick the titular Squirtle(Bulbasaur.)

Stop using logic!

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

That's correct mate.

You are awesome!

Why thank you, glad you agree.

Notsomuch:

As of the latest season, Ash hasn't even reached the semi-finals of the Pokemon League!

I admit, it was a good twist in the first season when Ash lost after believing he would definitely win, but they seriously pushed it.

For those who say Ash is Red, read this!

Steven Bogos:

Rossco64:

But he is Red! How could he not pick charmander?

Red picked Bulbasaur in the Manga.

Adam Johns:

TizzytheTormentor:

Rossco64:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.

I agree, Squirtle is the best starter.

Riddle me this. What Pokemon is number one? WHO is number one!?

TizzytheTormentor:
Charmander is indeed our word for Squirtle. I'm glad that we can agree on this matter!

So am I Tizzy! So am I :D

After all, what are friends for!

TV special or not, I need this *drools*.

Covarr:
What's this argument about? Charmander is neutral against the first gym and at a disadvantage in the second, making him the most difficult starter of all three. Only the strongest trainers take that challenge.

What? Fire is weak against rock, not neutral. Brock has Geodudes and an Onix (both I believe are rock/ground) and a rock throw can easily put down Charmander. So against Brock, Charmander is at a disadvantage (especially since Charmander's other attacks at the time would be normal type, which is also resisted by rock). Giovanni (the last one) is the ground type gym leader, and when rock hits ground it's neutral but not the other way around.

Rossco64:

METAPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Topic:

Seems interesting, might even have a look :D

And actually having one of the three original starters etc. Hope this guy goes on and catches more than just 8 pokemon.

I actually laughed out loud at the charmander - geodude battle, looked like charmander gave the rock a bitch slap and after that got headbutted back xD

Rossco64:

Raichu

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:
Charmander is indeed our number 1 stater! As for Squirtle, he is inferior, I'm glad that we can agree on this matter!

I so agree Tizzy? Golly gee wiz, you are so smart.

Thank you for educating me!

No worries, I am always here to help buddy.

TizzytheTormentor:

Rossco64:

Rhydon

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:
Man I love apple pie

I so agree Tizzy! Golly , you sure are bland and inoffensive.

Thank you for making me look so great!!

No worries, I am always here to help buddy.

I know you are, that's why we're such good friends.

Although this has probably gotten out of hand.

SkarKrow:
bland and inoffensive.

HOW DARE YOU!

Yeah, this is getting a little out of hand...

Steven Bogos:
The first official trailer for Pokemon: The Origin opens with tribute to the original Gameboy games, showing us the classic Nidoran vs. Gengar intro, complete with iconic soundtrack.

As the kind of person who knows that it's a Nidorino (with its round body and pointy ears) fighting the Gengar, I am excited for this. It's good enough that I can still play the original games on my Gameboy Advance SP (lasted 11 years and counting, with the games not tarnished by a run-down time system), but this is great!

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this.

It's basically what I was hoping for since I stopped watching the original Pokemon anime in the 3rd season, when I was like... 9.

I pray to god this is half as awesome as it looks, and pray that's it's popular enough to have more game-centric animations made.

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:
bland and inoffensive.

HOW DARE YOU!

How dare you kick over that plant pot! What's the point in such violence?

I! I don't... I just don't even....

Time to head back to the League cave methinks, I designed us a new emergency logo since ours is apparently copyrighted

OT: I hope this turns out to actually be worth watching, unlike the last ten years of the anime.

Raggedstar:
TV special or not, I need this *drools*.

Covarr:

What? Fire is weak against rock, not neutral. Brock has Geodudes and an Onix (both I believe are rock/ground) and a rock throw can easily put down Charmander. So against Brock, Charmander is at a disadvantage (especially since Charmander's other attacks at the time would be normal type, which is also resisted by rock). Giovanni (the last one) is the ground type gym leader, and when rock hits ground it's neutral but not the other way around.

Exactly, that's why they added the chance to catch a mankey in FR/LG, for the Charmander fans.

Bulbasaur all the way though.

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:
bland and inoffensive.

HOW DARE YOU!

How dare you kick over that plant pot! What's the point in such violence?

I! I don't... I just don't even....

Time to head back to the League cave methinks, I designed us a new emergency logo since ours is apparently copyrighted

Indeed, we must now flee this thread and make sure that no one follows! *quietly sneaks away with you*

OT: I hope this turns out to actually be worth watching, unlike the last ten years of the anime.

Took a while for you to get back on topic eh?

Also, the newest season is apparently supposed to be relatively decent (I also think anime Oshawott is adorable)

Rossco64:

Rhydon?

OT
I look forward to this, and now wondering which pokemon he'll be catching?

Covarr:

But it's trivial to spend a few days grinding charmander into a charmeleon by the time you meet Brock and that makes the fight so much easier. Sure it's weak against rocks but if you grind it like I did a scratch will split those rocks in half.

OT: I'm more excited than a little girl going to see One Direction in concert, make it a series please.

Captcha: This is Our Game
As someone who still plays Pokemon Blue yes it is, yes it freakin is and I couldn't be happier.

Charmander as the new Pikachu?... and it actually evolves into Charizard?*... no Misty in sight bitching around?... no Team Rocket trio?... and no Ash!?...

Color me interested :)

*Let's hope they don't repeat that BS about Charizard not giving a shit :/

N_of_the_dead:

Rossco64:

Rhydon?

You mean Mew?

OT:
Yeah, I got pretty excited when I heard about this. Luckily, both Brock and Oak look different from their normal anime counter parts. So hopefully this means that it really will be different from the anime and we'll have a competent protagonist for once. Maybe if this gains enough popularity, it will actually be made into a series or at least they'll also make animes about the other games. Legend of Korra was also supposed to be only one season long at first, so there is still hope.

"Oh, hey! It's Red! And Red's rival, Douche! Good to see you, Douche!"

Those were my thoughts during that trailer. Because the old jokes are still funny. And goodness this thread got derailed quickly, but Red is clearly smart--Charmander is the best! He's strong against what, five of the eight gyms, and two of the Elite Four?

Besides, we all know the best starter is Link Cable.

Big fan of Bulbasaur here. I hope he gets some amount of love in this one.

Maxtro:
And not a pikachu in sight.

Sounds like it could be interesting.

THIS

Seems interesting I'll probably miss the only fun part of the original pokemon series , Team Rocket but still seems nice.

Im fully ok with a new Pokemon anime, but if it does NOT have the original Pokemon theme song, then it's got nothing.

So they took the rejected concept art relegated to clip art in the 1998 Prima guide and decided to use that art style.

Cool.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or