Notch Cancels Space Sandbox Game, Fans Salvage It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Notch Cancels Space Sandbox Game, Fans Salvage It

0x10c gameplay screen

Notch isn't continuing development of 0x10c, but that won't stop his fans from seeing it through to release.

Markus "Notch" Persson moved on from Minecraft some time ago to work on a new project: a complex space exploration game called 0x10c. However, it seems that particular frontier will go unexplored - Notch announced in a recent livestream that he had no plans to continue developing 0x10c, and the project was effectively dead in the water. One group of fans has already taken up the mantle to bring the project to completion under a new name: Project Trillek.

The actual gameplay of 0x10c was nebulously explained, but many of the core mechanics were known. The game would take place in the dying universe of the distant future, and players would have to manage their spaceship while exploring the stars. Plenty of realistic science and engineering would be at work - your spaceship's computer would be a fully emulated 16-bit CPU to support custom programming. These features captured the interest of many fans of hard sci-fi, leading to the fan revival of the game.

"We just sort of looked at the project and were like, 'Okay. This is a community project now,'" says Project Trillek lead Shane Dalton. "We're not using any of his old code, his name or anything." The new team is rebuilding 0x10c from the ground up, with little guidance besides the core gameplay mechanics Notch had described. There are no plans to monetize Project Trillek as of yet, but it'll be a while before the team is ready to talk about any kind of release.

Source: US Gamer

Damn. I was looking forward to 0x10^c. If nothing else, it would give me a chance to learn how to program a 16-bit CPU. That could have been fun.

i wonder if notch will get behind the project or hinder it

it'd be funny to see him get a slap in the face because of this lost potential

Riotguards:

You can't really mock him for losing interest in the project.
Yes, he could have made the game and it could have made him quite a lot of renown for it. But fundamentally means nothing if it was at the expense of his own enjoyment of life.

I'm disappointed he wasn't able to continue, but I respect his choice. I'm glad a community was able to pick up the torch.

I was actually really looking forward to this so best of luck to the fans who picked it up.

Well, even if this fails there's Rodina.

Still, glad someone's trying to finish this. More space games = happy me.

Probably wasn't fun, eh? Some game ideas just don't work because they turn out to be nothing but rote busywork (for example Perimeter's morphing units are horrible, Perimeter 2 tried to fix that but didn't just cut the convolution, it also cut the unit variety so far that the game was no fun). Programming a computer doesn't sound like it'd actually have been fun, especially if your goal is to make it control a spacecraft. You'd just program in the same old control routines every time.

I think its better this way, even Minecraft was a lot better with the mods and stuff while the updates kind of messed up the whole thing.

I mean... the fans didn't really "salvage" it did they? They're just starting entirely from scratch.

I thought this may happen. Notch's steam seems to be really puttering after leaving Minecraft.

Ah well, StarMade exists so there's that.

Anyways, FUCK YOU NOTCH.
First you spit into my face by refusing to give a small ammount of that cash that your house is made of for Pscyconauts2, and now you say - meh, not interested anymore, to somehting that has tons of potential!
You make me sick.

Zombine3D:
Anyways, FUCK YOU NOTCH.
First you spit into my face by refusing to give a small ammount of that cash that your house is made of for Pscyconauts2, and now you say - meh, not interested anymore, to somehting that has tons of potential!
You make me sick.

I assume this ia a joke. Making fun of the very real psychos that think this way.

Well I do hope they work this out with Mojang beforehand so it doesn't end in court room tears, technically you can't trademark a game concept but them announcing that it's a copy would make a pretty solid case.

And I can't really blame Mojang for putting this on hold, it didn't really look like they had the full concept worked out into something worth our/their time, sometimes you just need to let ideas simmer for a while until the real taste comes out.
The other games currently doing their own take on the idea are caught in just about the same limbo where no one is really sure where things are going.

You know what would be an awesome gesture? Notch releasing the current code under GPL or something similar.

AC10:
I mean... the fans didn't really "salvage" it did they? They're just starting entirely from scratch.

Aye, bit of an odd choice of words! I guess they salvaged the concept if anything, be interesting to interview Notch one they're finished and ask him how close its turned out to what he had in his mind's eye.

Well... they shouldn't monitize it if it was all a concept that was nearly realized by another person, even if they build from scratch.

scw55:

Riotguards:

You can't really mock him for losing interest in the project.
Yes, he could have made the game and it could have made him quite a lot of renown for it. But fundamentally means nothing if it was at the expense of his own enjoyment of life.

I'm disappointed he wasn't able to continue, but I respect his choice. I'm glad a community was able to pick up the torch.

And if it was a console game, he could of expected death threats against his hat or something just as silly.

This is why I like PC gaming to a point, if there is an idea of a game, there will be people there to make it. Still sad knowing that they have to build it from the ground up, but hopefully it ends up okay. PC needs more space exploration games.

Who knows, maybe Notch will pick up on the group trying to build it and offer some of his already made assets to the project.

Time for another vacation, I guess.

If only he could invest all that minecraft money in at least making a big enough studio to make games or in good projects that need funding.

"Oh look, I'm gonna promise and don't stick up to it again. And I'm going to have people defend me!"

Notch ditching another project of his. Not big surprise.

TheKasp:
"Oh look, I'm gonna promise and don't stick up to it again. And I'm going to have people defend me!"

Notch ditching another project of his. Not big surprise.

it was an entirely new IP, and considering there was VERY little to go off of for it, it's not a big deal that he backed out, just like other devs I'd say the same thing about.

I have no idea what your bone to pick with Notch is, but dropping a new project that your not driven/passionate about enough to finish isn't too big of a deal, no one had money dropped on the game or anything, otherwise that's a whole other bag of issues.

OT: cool to see it was "picked up" by some community peeps, hopefully a decent game comes out of it!

Anyone really surprised? Guy doesn't even think Mojang needs customer support despite the massive revenue and player base, the expected reply time is 6 months (there was an issue with my Minecraft account) - I've no idea why he's considered some righteous indie messiah by a large segment of the PC gaming community. If the masses really believe his blueprint is the way forward I want no part of it. Give me EA over them any day, and that's saying something.

Cognimancer:
Plenty of realistic science and engineering would be at work - your spaceship's computer would be a fully emulated 16-bit CPU to support custom programming.

Shit, that's a really good idea.

I was puzzling my way through a similar type of game, trying to figure out how to do customizable spaceships in a truly customizable way. That's a pretty smart way of doing it.

CUnk:

Zombine3D:
Anyways, FUCK YOU NOTCH.
You make me sick.

I assume this ia a joke. Making fun of the very real psychos that think this way.

I hope so, that is a very convincing impression. Even down to the spelling mistakes.

Fair play to the new devs. I hope it works out, it sounded like a great idea and it would be a shame to let it die. I don't think Notch would mind much. He is pretty used to getting his minecraft idea ripped off for cheap clones.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Damn. I was looking forward to 0x10^c. If nothing else, it would give me a chance to learn how to program a 16-bit CPU. That could have been fun.

There are plenty of 68000 simulators out there, along with assemblers, so you could still do that...

This game got a paragraph in Time magazine. I know these guys are not US Americans, but good grief, delegate the game if you don't want to do it yourself. They are a huge corporation taking everyone's money. Not giving Minecraft away for donations.

Mr.K.:
Well I do hope they work this out with Mojang beforehand so it doesn't end in court room tears, technically you can't trademark a game concept but them announcing that it's a copy would make a pretty solid case.

Actually, I don't think they'd have a case even if they are just trying to copy it since they haven't actually made anything, so any finished product from the fans would inevitably be implemented differently from whatever they had. Especially given how little was known.

But even still, I don't think Mojang is the type of company, nor Notch the sort of person, who'd sue them for running with an idea he abandoned. If anything, he'd probably wish them luck, if not release what he'd made already too them.

Notch strikes me as the kind of person who only sticks to ideas as long as they seem fun. Programming your own 16 bit CPU may seem innovative in theory but it is only fun if you're into programming. The general gaming populace would likely try the game for a few minutes, get to the programming bit, then immediately drop it as if it were diseased.

Mr.K.:

And I can't really blame Mojang for putting this on hold, it didn't really look like they had the full concept worked out into something worth our/their time, sometimes you just need to let ideas simmer for a while until the real taste comes out.
The other games currently doing their own take on the idea are caught in just about the same limbo where no one is really sure where things are going.

It can't enter court, as you said game concepts aren't protected. You can publically say "we're making a minecraft style game the way we want to play" and as long as it's your own game code, names, trademarks etc basically you make everything and your just using the minecraft idea theres nothing they can do. Why do you think so many RTS games, FPS modern military shooters etc exist, because theres nothing that can be done to protect the idea, just the game itself.

If they copy the designs (assuming notch released any designs) then yes he may have a case on that, but the concept of the gameplay etc no he wouldn't and I doubt he'd even try.

Nurb:
Well... they shouldn't monitize it if it was all a concept that was nearly realized by another person, even if they build from scratch.

The fact someone else came up with the origional idea doesn't stop them from making money on their own one. If we went by your logic only Westwood could make an RTS game and sell it, only id software could make and sell a FPS and only Rockstar could make a sandbox game (or whoever started that genre, often it's vague where a genre technically starts).

Lono Shrugged:

CUnk:

Zombine3D:
Anyways, FUCK YOU NOTCH.
You make me sick.

I hope so, that is a very convincing impression. Even down to the spelling mistakes.

Fair play to the new devs. I hope it works out, it sounded like a great idea and it would be a shame to let it die. I don't think Notch would mind much. He is pretty used to getting his minecraft idea ripped off for cheap clones.

This was more of a Bro-Team impression - exaggerated first thoughts.
But I still will never forgive him the Pscyconauts 2 ditch...

Pity, I had been wondering what happened to this game and now I guess that question is answered. I was looking forward to boldly going where no block person had gone before. Can't wait to see the direction the fan team takes it though, if for no other reason than to see how this kind of game would function.

Wait, so Notch isn't working on this, and my understanding is that he doesn't have much to do with Minecraft anymore, so what exactly is he doing? besides occasionally being a massive wanker that is.

Awww, I am so disappointed. This looked really cool.

major_chaos:
Wait, so Notch isn't working on this, and my understanding is that he doesn't have much to do with Minecraft anymore, so what exactly is he doing? besides occasionally being a massive wanker that is.

Spending his time tweeting I guess. And making the news via tweeting.

Zombine3D:

Lono Shrugged:

CUnk:

This was more of a Bro-Team impression - exaggerated first thoughts.
But I still will never forgive him the Pscyconauts 2 ditch...

As far as i understand it, he just didn't have enough money.
You know, ... like thousand of other devs and publisher's that Tim approached before Notch.
In fact i think it's a good think he didn't try it.
Notch gives a lot of his minecraft money away to indie devs. (He's often the biggest pledge in humble bundle's and kickstarters)
And while it is sad that he couldn't fund Psychonauts 2, it at least showed that he's not mindlessly throwing money away at everything.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here