Payday 2 More Popular Than Retailers Planned, Causing Shortages

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Payday 2 More Popular Than Retailers Planned, Causing Shortages

Payday 2

Publisher 505 Games has responded to the lack of availability of Payday 2 on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Payday 2 launched in North America last week, but if you're hoping to pick up a physical copy on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, you might be out of luck. Shortages of the team-based first-person shooter have been reported to publisher 505 Games, which is working to get more copies on store shelves. So why is Payday 2 so hard to get? It's just more popular than expected, according to its publisher.

In response to a fan wondering why he couldn't find a copy of the game, the 505 Games Twitter account replied, "Payday 2 was a much more popular game than many retailers planned for." Though the shortage is probably frustrating for gamers and the publisher alike, 505 Games appears to be working with retailers to make more copies of Payday 2 available. "We are working hard to remedy this by shipping out more copies daily in order to ensure that store shelves are being re-stocked as quickly as possible," stated a message on the publisher's Facebook page.

PC gamers can just download Payday 2 if they so desire, and it should also be available on the PlayStation Network. According to 505 Games' Twitter, it will be on Xbox Live's Games on Demand on August 23, so if you can't find a retail copy this week, that might be your best bet.

Source: 505 Games

Funny, steam seemed to have plenty of copes...

FogHornG36:
Funny, steam seemed to have plenty of copes...

They have keys and digital download only. The 360 version is retail only (also the first game wasn't for 360), so they can easily underestimate the amount of people, who want to buy the game on 360 and hence produced less copies.

Its pretty good, so I can see why. A bit lacking in the end game though.

Once you get to level 50, every heist is one big cakewalk because everyone has a saw, C4, or lockpicking skills. Which turns every hiest into a blitz fest and you'd be getting so much money it becomes worthless.

Hell, I can pull off the ukrainian job in 35 seconds with a huge payout just by myself. Nightclub before the cops even show up using high profile force. Four stores is the same if you have c4 or even a saw.

Is there a way to get a copy for PC that isn't tied to steam? I don't want to deal with 3rd party software.

Nurb:
Is there a way to get a copy for PC that isn't tied to steam? I don't want to deal with 3rd party software.

You'd be dealing with crime.net anyway. The game is always online because single player doesn't actually work.

Payday 2 is always online. That's how it is. steam there or not changes nothing.

The best news you can get as a developer.

"Sorry guys we can't sell your game anymore. We ran out of stock could you get us some more keys."

I bet champagne was flowing all night at the dev office.

Nurb:

No, and good luck trying out any new PC games in the next 50 years.

The first Payday sort of slipped past me, I got one look at the screens and I was already fed up by what looked like LĪD with cops and robbers and cheap production value. But then came the 2nd one, and it's a blast to play. Especially since it's quite hard at times. I remember our first heist, we didn't have a clue what to do, and clumsily entered some store shaking and sort of going "this is a robbery".

Ultratwinkie:

Nurb:

You'd be dealing with crime.net anyway. The game is always online because single player doesn't actually work.

Payday 2 is always online. That's how it is. steam there or not changes nothing.

I didn't say anything about crime.net, I just didn't want to have to hassle with a steam account

NLS:

Nurb:

The first Payday sort of slipped past me, I got one look at the screens and I was already fed up by what looked like LĪD with cops and robbers and cheap production value. But then came the 2nd one, and it's a blast to play. Especially since it's quite hard at times. I remember our first heist, we didn't have a clue what to do, and clumsily entered some store shaking and sort of going "this is a robbery".

If the future is having to deal with some account from 3-5 different companies like the GTA 4 nightmare just to play a damn game, that's when I stop paying for them.

Played the Beta and it seems pretty great. It deserves the sales.
Just wish I had some friends to play it with, I might actually buy it then.

they deserved this publicity.

its a good game. they did a magnificent job with this one.
i sure hope they add more missions in future updates.

So this is a reverse Tomb Raider then?

Guys guys everyone's buying our game!

Whaaaa??!!

Payday wasn't a gigantic success so it's easy to understand, but it's still nice to see a publisher has under estimated what they're going to sell for once.

Nurb:

i'll say good luck, because as far as i know it and many games are tied to steam and steam alone, if not then it's probably an old game on GoG.

OT: I have the first game (on a whim in a steam sale) and fucking loved it, i'll have to talk some friends into getting this game, it looked like a great improvement on the already awesome first game.

Nurb:

Ultratwinkie:

Nurb:

I didn't say anything about crime.net, I just didn't want to have to hassle with a steam account

NLS:

Nurb:

If the future is having to deal with some account from 3-5 different companies like the GTA 4 nightmare just to play a damn game, that's when I stop paying for them.

steam = crime net.

Steam and payday are fused because payday is always online, so steam is now a 1st party program needed for payday.

This isn't a single player game. AI is not avdanced enough to take you voice commands or to commit heists efficiently. steam is necessary because it ties you, your stats, and your entire crime net together.

Do you get it now? Steam isn't third party in this case no more than the servers rented by activision for call of duty.

Ah I'm so glad this game is getting publicity. It is SO fun with friends. If anyone wants to get it and play with me, add up my Steam, it's on my profile. I play it religiously, at least until school starts, it's GREAT fun.

This was to be expected on my end anyway...Figured that this would be a problem if they were reporting profit on pre-orders alone.

That's actually pretty awesome. I was considering not grabbing a multiplayer only game because I feared that there were not going to be enough people to play it with... this might have changed my mind now.

I wonder how many AU/NZ servers/players there are...

Nurb:

There's no account to deal with. You just double click the game in Steam and play it.

And what hassle of a Steam account is there? You login, click remember me and forgot that it's running. There's literally no hassle. Not to mention that games that don't require an internet connection to play are playable in offline mode once you've downloaded them.

Abomination:
That's actually pretty awesome. I was considering not grabbing a multiplayer only game because I feared that there were not going to be enough people to play it with... this might have changed my mind now.

Well on steam there are about 40K+ players a day. That's almost as much as Team fortress 2.

So on that basis, I would say a lot. Its the 3rd most played game on steam.

Good. Now let's hope they fix their super-sayan-soldiers' teleport capabilities and add trading.

I need more hats.

hazabaza1:

Add me on steam if you'd like to join us, Australian EST timezone. Always open to more players jumping in for a game.

OT: Great news, Payday 1 was great fun and was hoping PD2 would reward the devs for their awesome work, glad to see I'm not disappointed.

RicoADF:

hazabaza1:

Add me on steam if you'd like to join us, Australian EST timezone. Always open to more players jumping in for a game.

OT: Great news, Payday 1 was great fun and was hoping PD2 would reward the devs for their awesome work, glad to see I'm not disappointed.

Nah, I don't actually have it yet, waiting for a sale so I can get a four pack or something. Ģ25 for a game I can only play with other people (and would only want to play with others I like) is a bit much for me. Thanks though.

Ultratwinkie:

Abomination:

Well on steam there are about 40K+ players a day. That's almost as much as Team fortress 2.

So on that basis, I would say a lot. Its the 3rd most played game on steam.

Yeah but the price is something I'm not too keen about for a multiplayer only game.

I picked up Natural Selection 2 when it came out and have put a good 200+ hours into it for $20... but I knew I would love it because I loved Natural Selection 1 and I know about the communities who would and still keep playing it.

Payday 2 I can only play with Australasian people because trying to play a FPS with Americans is just stupid latency wise. Australasians also have less people playing online for obvious reasons so dropping $40 US on a game that I might not be able to play in 3 months time isn't a sound investment.

Good that it's doing so well. It's nice to see fantastic little things like this do well. :D

Abomination:
Payday 2 I can only play with Australasian people because trying to play a FPS with Americans is just stupid latency wise. Australasians also have less people playing online for obvious reasons so dropping $40 US on a game that I might not be able to play in 3 months time isn't a sound investment.

Actually, that is not really a problem with Payday 2 because of their strange syncronisation-system. I play regularly with a guy from australia (and I myself am in Europe) and no matter who's hosting, the other doesn't have any notable lag of any kind.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
snip

Im interested in Payday 2. Is there a demo (Id be playing the 360 version)? Ive not seen any reviews yet either.

Anyone here played it?

Bindal:

Abomination:

Actually, that is not really a problem with Payday 2 because of their strange syncronisation-system. I play regularly with a guy from australia (and I myself am in Europe) and no matter who's hosting, the other doesn't have any notable lag of any kind.

Huh, so it's all client side since you're against bots?

That's pretty nifty actually.

Why? The original Payday was mediocre at best.

RatherDull:

The playerbase disagrees. The first game sold about 900.000 units in a year, sequel even made a profit about 6 days prior release.

Abomination:
Huh, so it's all client side since you're against bots?

That's pretty nifty actually.

Not everything (the random events are calculated prior by the host and a bunch of other stuff), but things like enemy locations and damage dealt to them is always calculated first locally and then synced up. Or... something like that. You would need to ask someone at Overkill, how that exactly works.
Still, if you see an enemy somewhere, you can shoot it and it WILL take damage - assuming you're shooting something that is supposed to take damage (e.g. NOT a shield)

bjj hero:

Sarah LeBoeuf:
snip

Im interested in Payday 2. Is there a demo (Id be playing the 360 version)? Ive not seen any reviews yet either.

Anyone here played it?

Nope, no demo and most reviews are for the PC-Version (which came out a few days earlier).

RatherDull:

Agreed. I gave it a try, yes I did, but it felt like a mod for Left 4 Dead rather than a distinctive game. Once the novelty wore off, I lost interest,

RatherDull:

Pay Day 2 expanded on everything, there is a reason Pay Day 2 is outselling everything. They took a l4d2 mod and turned it into a much bigger and more substantial game with much more on the way.

Nurb:

you can always crack it. Cracking your legally bought game is not illegal, nor amoral. BUt then you would have to deal with horrible AI or go though the effort of Tuungle to play with others, which is more effort than steam anyway.

Capcha: case closed
no its not if i escape before the cops gun me down!

I wonder how much of that is because of the mind crack crew playing the first.

I'm glad for them, they deserve it after all the work that must have gone into it, though I'm thankful I got a copy through Steam: couldn't have waited another day for the darn thing xD.

RatherDull:

Uh... Because people have different opinions than you on things? Just because you're not a big fan of it, doesn't mean that other people aren't out there that enjoy it. I mean, how many games are out there right now the emulate the feel of movies such as Point Break, Heat, or even the scene from the opening of the Dark Knight and actually manage to pull it off? That aspect appeals to certain people, and Payday caters right to them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here