DiveKick's Amazingly Bizarre Infomercial That Has to be Seen

DiveKick's Amazingly Bizarre Infomercial That Has to be Seen

DiveKick is a game in which you first jump, or "dive", and then kick, or "kick".

Have you ever heard of DiveKick? The team over at Action Button sure have, producing a "five star review" in the form of an amazing infomercial that is more effective than any form of advertising I have ever seen. "What is DiveKick? Wikipedia calls DiveKick a 'parody fighting game'," says Action Button founder Tim Rogers. "I say, if DiveKick is a parody fighting game, poker, is also a parody fighting game."

"If Street Fighter is a blender, DiveKick is a straight razor. If Street Fighter IV is suing someone for libel, DiveKick is decapitating them with a Nascar."

The infomercial, which shows surprisingly little of actual DiveKick gameplay, does explain the core tenants of the game. First, you jump, or "dive", and then kick, or "kick". The first person to kick the other guy wins. That's it. The infomercial then firmly enters the world of the bizarre, claiming that DiveKick will make every facet of your life better, and will be used in the future to determine the president of the United States of America.

"Anybody can play DiveKick and everybody will want to," says Rogers, going on to detail some of the "features" of the game. "With DiveKick you can: annoy your friends, ruin birthday parties, break up marriages, lose your life savings, win back your life savings, win a billionaire's life savings, settle arguments, start wars, make someone angry enough to kill you, make yourself angry enough to kill someone else, and much much more."

Rogers' bizarre infomercial review is brilliant in just about every aspect, and it took every ounce of willpower in my body to sit down and write up this news post instead of rushing off the the PlayStation store to buy DiveKick for PS3 or PS Vita for just $9.99 USD.

Source: Action Button Does DiveKick

It is an amazing game of chicken. Bluffing your opponent and reading their moves. It really is closer to poker than a true fighting game.

that blender analogy is actually really spot on. it really is the base of it's genre with all the skills/knowledge wrung out to just the bare essentials.

Really? People will pay money for this? For something with as much depth as a joke flash game? BRB getting into games development, apparently it's easy money.

major_chaos:
Really? People will pay money for this? For something with as much depth as a joke flash game? BRB getting into games development, apparently it's easy money.

No offense but if this was a test to find talent for game design, you just failed.

That was great ;)

Why can't all media be like this?

brb, buying DiveKick without any console to play it on.

divekick is also for pc :/

check your direct steam to base of neck implant feed

you may want to get a fight stick though, i hear it gets pretty intense

major_chaos:

It's not about combos. It's about matchups and when to use your special moves. Depth solely mental rather than physical. You don't have to spend hours burning stuff into your muscle memory to be good. Then again, the thought of more people being able to be good gives most of the FGC ulcers.

I really am disappointed this game somehow made it to where it could make money. I also wouldn't call it a parody, well it is a parody, but it's a parody that's trying so damn hard it kills any interest I had for it. I also find the animation to be lacking... though the unique character abilities are rather interesting.

Interesting, Divekick is in the top 10 of top sales on Steam at the moment (no joke its really there at the time of writing.)

And I absolutely loved the infomercial, if I was interested in fighting games in the slightest I would pick this up, as it seems a bit better than a lot of the fighting games on the market, and clearly the people behind it are far more entertaining.

JudgeGame:

major_chaos:

No offense but if this was a test to find talent for game design, you just failed.

I'm not sure what your point is. I was joking about getting into game development in case that wasn't clear, but that doesn't change that everything about this game looks like it was made in a month tops.
Also: http://direman.com/direman/comic.php?comicID=1063

leet_x1337:

It's not about combos. It's about matchups and when to use your special moves. Depth solely mental rather than physical. You don't have to spend hours burning stuff into your muscle memory to be good. Then again, the thought of more people being able to be good gives most of the FGC ulcers.

Not every genera needs to be accessible, and easy to learn does not have to come at the expense of depth (and "mental depth" doesn't count. I could make the argument that rock paper scissors is deep for the mind games involved, but that doesn't make it worth $10). And just so you don't think I'm some fighter snob worried about the "filthy casuals" polluting my games, I'll just point out that I'm absolutely terrible at fighting games

major_chaos:

Not every genera needs to be accessible [...]

I think I had my genera removed when I was five...

major_chaos:

JudgeGame:

major_chaos:

I'm not sure what your point is. I was joking about getting into game development in case that wasn't clear, but that doesn't change that everything about this game looks like it was made in a month tops.

You are right. I missed a perfect oportunity for gravely insulting you for no reason. My opinion still stands. If you can't see why the concept behind Divekick is worthy of respect you have no business going near game development. Also, if you brush off Tim Rogers endorsement you might as well never touch a video game ever again. If you don't understand, don't bother because you won't get it no mqatter how hard you try.

JudgeGame:

major_chaos:

JudgeGame:

You are right. I missed a perfect oportunity for gravely insulting you for no reason. My opinion still stands. If you can't see why the concept behind Divekick is worthy of respect you have no business going near game development. Also, if you brush off Tim Rogers endorsement you might as well never touch a video game ever again. If you don't understand, don't bother because you won't get it as hard as you try.

I don't know or care much about this person you're talking to, but this is the most hyperbolic and shitty argument ever. "If you dislike X, then you should never work as Y (because all game devs have the same tastes as you?). Also, appeal to authority."

I played Divekick at EVO back when it was just a joke, and frankly, I feel that it was better as a joke lampooning the rampant SF4 divekick pressure BS. Now it's a hodgepodge of FGC in-jokes that really feels like it's trying desperately hard to be funny and likable. I'm happy if people like it, because I'm not going to begrudge something that makes people happy or other folks enjoy. I find the game to be shallow and boring now, when originally it's shallow banality made for a good joke and some amusing shenanigans.

JudgeGame:
Snip

Gratz on providing absolutely no arguments other than "you just don't get it man" and "you should care about what this dude thinks because he is famous" (according to Wikipedia he is an Australian rockstar, so why should what he thinks about videogames matter?). Also you missed the point of the comic. The point was that people who say things like "No offense" almost never mean it. And to top it off, despite not giving a shit about this Rogers person, I just touched a game. There is now a fingerprint on the disc but that's it.

major_chaos:

JudgeGame:
Snip

Gratz on providing absolutely no arguments other than "you just don't get it man" and "you should care about what this dude thinks because he is famous" (according to Wikipedia he is an Australian rockstar, so why should what he thinks about videogames matter?). Also you missed the point of the comic. The point was that people who say things like "No offense" almost never mean it. And to top it off, despite not giving a shit about this Rogers person, I just touched a game. There is now a fingerprint on the disc but that's it.

Wrong Tim Rogers. This is the Tim Rogers you're looking for:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tim-rogers/24/391/51a

Here are two of the many websites he's involved with:

http://www.actionbutton.net/
http://insertcredit.com

Even though he pisses some people off, he is one of the handful
of writers that actually treat the medium seriously and who seems
to have an original viewpoint and writing style.

As for Divekick: I bought it last night and I hope to get a lot of
enjoyment out of it (I do love the idea of distilling a genre down
to its basics), but I do worry a bit about the longevity of it. That's
something only time will answer.

face_head_mouth:
Snip

Thanks for clearing that up. I still don't give a shit what he thinks, and action button is not a site I would ever even glance at when deciding on a game, but at least now I understand why someone thinks I should care about the guy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here