Sony Unveils PS3 to PS4 Software Discounts

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Unveils PS3 to PS4 Software Discounts

PS4

Gamers who buy the PS3 version of some upcoming titles will be given access to a discounted digital copy of the PS4 edition.

With the PlayStation 4 arriving in less than two months, there's a fair chance that many gamers might not be in a position financially to purchase the new console at launch. That being the case, some might find themselves in a bind where they're interested in upcoming multiplatform titles but don't want to have to wait for their shiny new PS4's to play them. On the other hand, investing in a PS3 copy might feel like a waste since general wisdom probably suggests the next-gen versions will be the best ones.

Sony, recognizing this potential conundrum, revealed a discount program at Gamescom that will give gamers the option of buying the PS3 iterations of new games and, in turn, being rewarded with a "significantly discounted price" on a digital copy of the PS4 version when it becomes available. Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft and Warner Bros were named as a few of the partner publishers participating in this program, guaranteeing discounts on titles including Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Watch Dogs.

This is an arguably smart move on Sony's part. With the PS4 lacking backwards compatibility, it will be very important to its early user base that gamers feel they have a solid library of games to choose from. The fact that many of its early titles are also launching on current generation hardware could , in turn, limit early adopters. Knowing you'll be able to grab shinier versions of recent games on the cheap could be a decent incentive for many gamers to upgrade.

Source: IGN

Yes, arguably a smart move on Sony's part but still a stupid one when you've already paid for the content.

Knowing exactly what a "significantly discounted price" amounts to is pretty important. Regardless, it's a good idea but personally, anything short of a free transfer of my game license to the PS4 won't serve as an incentive, I have no interest in buying content I already have, cheaper ot not. If I want these games for the PS4, I'll be waiting until I have a PS4.

I'm thinking they'll eventually include Cross-Buy when the PS3 becomes old enough

I wonder if that'll work with Minecraft since Jeb has announced that it is coming to PS3 and PS4.

One can see that as a nice thing and good on them, but I'm also very tempted to play the cynic and say..

StewShearer:
Sony, recognizing this potential source of milkable cashflow as result of choosing not to build backwards compatibility into their new console, revealed a discount program at Gamescom that will give gamers the option of buying games twice under the false lure of a discount.

and then add "fixed that for you".

EDIT: Yes, that was overly cynical of me and thinking on it a little more I'm seeing the better side. They could quite easily have done nothing and let folks pay full price if they wanted to have both PS3 and PS4 versions of games. Any kind of discount is A Good Thing.

It's a sad day when a dickmove is praised as something good just because it could have shafted people even more...

I'd prefer to simply skip the PS3 version and go straight to the PS4.

Jandau:
It's a sad day when a dickmove is praised as something good just because it could have shafted people even more...

It's a sad day when a good move is met with vitriol because people feel entitled.

Sidney Buit:

Jandau:

It's a sad day when a good move is met with vitriol because people feel entitled.

Yeah, because "You bought that game already? On our platform? Well, here, you can now buy it AGAIN, we'll knock off a few % for you." is suuuuuuch a GOOD deed...

StewShearer:

With the PlayStation 4 arriving in less than two months...>

Psst... I'm as excited as you, but its not September yet.

TimeLord:
I wonder if that'll work with Minecraft since Jeb has announced that it is coming to PS3 and PS4.

I really want to know if it counts for FFXIV: ARR. Square Enix announced that they would be releasing a PS4 version of it sometime next year.

I think it would've been smarter to at least give a reason why it still costs -something-, servers costs? or something to a degree, being told nothing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jandau:

Sidney Buit:

Jandau:

Yeah, because "You bought that game already? On our platform? Well, here, you can now buy it AGAIN, we'll knock off a few % for you." is suuuuuuch a GOOD deed...

Considering that building backwards compatibility into the PS4 would likely make the production cost and thus the retail price skyrocket (as the PS4 hardware isn't nearly powerful enough to even consider emulating the PS3) and the code for PS3/PS4 versions of games will likely be vastly different since they use completely different architecture, yes, it is kind of a good move. You can argue that the content will still be the same, but it's not going to be exactly the same game, no matter how you look at it, and the developers will have put their own extra time and hard work into creating it. I doubt it'll be a small amount of work to develop games for five or six primary platforms, even compared to the average three they do now.

Also, as with most things in this industry, you don't have to buy it. Buy the game and play it on the PS3 until you're done with it and feel like you won't play it again? Why would you buy it again whenever you get a PS4, then? Buy a game and like it enough that you'd want to continue playing it? What's the problem with coughing up another ~$20 toward the developer's continued existence and/or games you want to be made? Unless you're so frugal and scrutinous in every aspect of your life, video games are one of the cheapest entertainment-per-hour hobbies around if you're not buying everything right on release day.

Since the games are going to be offered for both systems in the first place, and they're not the same game despite containing mostly the same content, it is better for them to offer a discount to people who bought a version for an older system rather than just keeping it all full price no matter what.

So, yes, it's a sad day when a mostly neutral move that tends toward the "good" side gets met with vitriol because "BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!" Funny how one home console implements it and suddenly it's the holy grail of gaming for over a decade later.

I find it funny how Sony is just constantly a step ahead of Microsoft in this console race. Whenever Microsoft fucks something up, Sony jumps in the next day and reveals that they won't be doing anything close to Microsoft's fuck up. And when Microsoft announces something potentially good and in the right direction (in this case, that multiplayer stats and items and levels can transfer for certain games from 360 to XBone), Sony announces that you can get entire games for cheaper if you bought the PS3 version already and feel like you want to upgrade to the PS4.

No matter what Microsoft seems to do, Sony always seems to come out looking a lot better.

And this is coming from someone who hasn't bought anything from Sony since the PS1 and owns both XBoxes. I swear the only thing that could make me buy an Xbox One at this point would be if Harmonix announces a new Rock Band game for it and says that all your DLC purchased with your Xbox Live account will transfer from 360 to One, but not from 360 to PS4 ( I have something like 800 songs on Rock Band on my 360 and love that game sooo much) Given how the music genre has completely collapsed though, I'm not getting my hopes too high for this to happen *sadface*

It'll have to be some serious discounts to make it worthwhile, frankly. I know I just wouldn't bother unless it was past the 75% off zone really.

For people who buy physical copies of the PS3 version but then want a PS4 edition I think it is a good idea. For a digital copy from the PS3's store then I think it'd be quite cool if you could simply pay the difference in price and have it transferred over onto the PS4 instead.

I don't know his source, but a friend told me this:

If you buy Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS3 and want to upgrade it to the PS4 version, you'll be able to upgrade it for a "limited time" for a suggested retail cost of 10 or $10, or €10 depending on your region.

Seems quite reasonable.

How long do we have to upgrade?

Megacherv:
I'm thinking they'll eventually include Cross-Buy when the PS3 becomes old enough

That would certainly be nice.

shrekfan246:

Jandau:

Sidney Buit:

Considering that building backwards compatibility into the PS4 would likely make the production cost and thus the retail price skyrocket (as the PS4 hardware isn't nearly powerful enough to even consider emulating the PS3) and the code for PS3/PS4 versions of games will likely be vastly different since they use completely different architecture, yes, it is kind of a good move. You can argue that the content will still be the same, but it's not going to be exactly the same game, no matter how you look at it, and the developers will have put their own extra time and hard work into creating it. I doubt it'll be a small amount of work to develop games for five or six primary platforms, even compared to the average three they do now.

Also, as with most things in this industry, you don't have to buy it. Buy the game and play it on the PS3 until you're done with it and feel like you won't play it again? Why would you buy it again whenever you get a PS4, then? Buy a game and like it enough that you'd want to continue playing it? What's the problem with coughing up another ~$20 toward the developer's continued existence and/or games you want to be made? Unless you're so frugal and scrutinous in every aspect of your life, video games are one of the cheapest entertainment-per-hour hobbies around if you're not buying everything right on release day.

Since the games are going to be offered for both systems in the first place, and they're not the same game despite containing mostly the same content, it is better for them to offer a discount to people who bought a version for an older system rather than just keeping it all full price no matter what.

So, yes, it's a sad day when a mostly neutral move that tends toward the "good" side gets met with vitriol because "BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!" Funny how one home console implements it and suddenly it's the holy grail of gaming for over a decade later.

Very well said, Shrekfan.

It's amazing how many people really just don't understand how different the Xbone and PS4 are to their predecessors. I'm sure if it could have been implemented it would have, imagine the leverage that would give over their rival console (no, the Wii U doesn't count as a niche product).

Depending on what they mean by a steep discount this could be cool. But judging from what I've seen of "discounts" on Sony and Microsoft consoles this could be laughable. Is 35% a steep discount? Not to us, but perhaps to them.

If the price is more than $1, then Nintendo's got them beat on this for 'discounts' for upgrading software from the old system to new one.

Jandau:

I would agree however, depending on what they price it at, there may be a good reason for this. Now hear me out here, a new PS3 game is what *checks JB Hi-Fi* lets take watch dogs special edition as an example:
https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps3/watch-dogs-anz-special-edition/668663
$79 for PS3 special edition, however

https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps4/watch-dogs-anz-special-edition-ps4/681079
it's $95 for special edition on PS4, so that's $16 difference.

So if they charge $16 for the PS4 version then you'd still pay the same as if you had just bought it outright. They could be doing this to prevent people from abusing the system to get the PS4 version cheap. We will just need to wait and see what they mean by massive discount.

LordOfInsanity:
If the price is more than $1, then Nintendo's got them beat on this for 'discounts' for upgrading software from the old system to new one.

Actually if they gave it out for free people would be getting the game cheap, as stated above theres a difference in price between PS3 and PS4 versions.

GoaThief:

Very well said, Shrekfan.

It's amazing how many people really just don't understand how different the Xbone and PS4 are to their predecessors. I'm sure if it could have been implemented it would have, imagine the leverage that would give over their rival console (no, the Wii U doesn't count as a niche product).

I think the saddest part is that both Sony and Microsoft are abandoning their old console architecture -because- it makes BC so hard to offer. People fail to grasp that both corps using x86-based hardware for their consoles means their consoles from now on will be as backwards compatible as your average PCs.

Basically Sony and Microsoft are abandoning hopes for true BC this next gen so that all future generations will be BC without much effort at all. Even better, the new architecture means that porting between console and PC - either direction - will be incredibly easy. You'll see more games in both markets and quicker port times because of the change.

Yeah I bet they'd like it if everyone bought their games twice.

RicoADF:
Actually if they gave it out for free people would be getting the game cheap, as stated above theres a difference in price between PS3 and PS4 versions.

I'm just playing on the fact that when Nintendo said that to update the games you bought on the Wii e-shop/virtual console for the Wii U, it would cost people roughly a dollar or two, and a lot of people were complaining and throwing a shit storm about it.

I'm waiting for the uproar from those same people about this if it even happens.

But yeah, I suspect the price will be roughly $10-20 for the 'upgrade cost'.

LordOfInsanity:

I'm just playing on the fact that when Nintendo said that to update the games you bought on the Wii e-shop/virtual console for the Wii U, it would cost people roughly a dollar or two, and a lot of people were complaining and throwing a shit storm about it.

I'm waiting for the uproar from those same people about this if it even happens.

But yeah, I suspect the price will be roughly $10-20 for the 'upgrade cost'.

Ah I wasn't aware of that, didn't follow the Wii U that closely since the Wii has done nothing but gather dust here, only use it's had is playing Gamecube games and the Wii U can't do that afaik.

What? The same game being released on two different consoles, by the same company, from different generations?!

Come on game developers MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!111

:)

Considering how many people suggest that a sequel or remake doesn't have to improve the game, just upgrade it with better graphics, I can see Sony making a sizable bounty of money with this system. After all, these upgrades are basically early remakes. I'm guessing this is just Sony's way of twisting the knife into Microsoft even harder; no backwards compatibility on Microsoft's end, but Sony has a form of it. Still, a pretty cool move on Sony's end.

Unless the PS4 versions go down on you while you play them, I don't really see the point of buying both versions.

So... it's backwards compatible with a fee.

Well Nintendo has been doing it with the Virtual Console, so... (shrugs)

But please Sony, could we not have another one of these?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6244-Sonys-Begging-For-Piracy

Considering BF4 on PS3 will be the console version and BF4 on PS4 will be more like the PC version, that's one game that people should definitely be happy to get a heavily discounted 'unpgraded' version for. The difference will be immense for those used to the horribly limited 24 player gameplay. Backwards compatability would have left them with the boring version.

Still, sucks. But it's a necessary evil to bring consoles in line with PC for x86 architectures. At least now we'll have guarenteed BC for a while on consoles that will actually work well. After all, PCs run x86 and i can play games from the early 90s on them if i so desire.

Sometimes people make me sick.

Microsoft essentially said they were doing the same damn thing, and that was met with gamer rage. Sony, though? Praise.

Gamers have really made it a habit to piss me off lately.

Meh. I've never gotten why gamers feel they must have a massive pile of release games for a new console. I'll be buying a PS4 at release, as I did with the PS3. And, like the PS3, it probably won't get a lot of use for the first few months, whereas my PS3 will continue to be played.

Well, aside from Diablo 3.

Honestly, it's worth picking up the PS4 even if I don't buy a PS4 game until the Witcher 3 comes out. Why? Because I'd have to drop at least twice the PS4's price on a new laptop to play the Witcher 3 on.

Edit: Whoopsie, I just realized that, due to this mental aside, I forgot to actually comment on the thread topic!

OT: Ahem. So, for those reasons, I don't really feel the need to consider this whole double-buy thing. None of the cross-platform launch titles really grab me (Assassins Creed lost me when the setting left Europe).

Brian Tams:
Sometimes people make me sick.

Microsoft essentially said they were doing the same damn thing, and that was met with gamer rage. Sony, though? Praise.

Gamers have really made it a habit to piss me off lately.

I agree with ya Brian, its very interesting how if it was announced by Microsoft it is met with hate, but if Sony announces the exact same thing people eat it up on this site. Heck even sites like IGN or Destructoid are not as bad as the comments on this site.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here