Origin Sale Takes up to 70% Off Titles

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Origin Sale Takes up to 70% Off Titles

origin sale

Origin's entire library is on sale to celebrate GamesCom 2013.

"Origin is not as good as Steam," they say. "Why not?" I ask. "Well, the Steam sales for one!" they reply. It looks like Origin is now swinging right around with that one, kicking off a massive sale across its entire library of games, knocking off up to 70% off some titles, such as Battlefield 3, Tomb Raider and The Sims 3.

Other noticeable sales include 50% off the Mass Effect Trilogy, Battlefield 3 Premium, and Crysis 3. Of course, some of these games were available in the recent "pay what you want" Humble Origin Bundle, but a lot of them, most notably, various game's DLC packs, were not included. All SimCity DLC and The Sims 3 expansion packs are 50% off, for example.

The sale runs from now until August 27, and is in celebration of GamesCom 2013 where EA is showing off some of its future titles, including Battlefield 4, The Sims 4 and Fifa 14.

All in all there are some pretty good deals going on here. Origin has been really trying its pants off to improve its image these days, first with the Humble Bundle, then with the radical new "Great Game Guarantee" policy that offers full refunds for EA games, and now a massive Steam Summer Sale-type sale.

Is this enough to make you "turn to the dark side" and try out Origin? Or will you still cling desperately to Steam's shiny toys, like trading cards, big picture mode, and of course, a considerably larger library of games?

Source: Orign

Interest, they're really trying to ditch there reputation. And they're actually going the right way about it.

Too bad I'm not really interested in any of the games on sale, so I'm Origin-free until they get me a sale for a game I actually want.

Huh, I'm actually starting to get the impression EA is going all the way with this.

B-But this is suppose to cheapen IP brands.....

I find it a little funny that EA actually doing heavy discounts makes headline news.

To be fair though, a game like BattleField 3 could go for 99% off and EA wouldn't care. Everyone's already bought it and anyone who hasn't is probably saving up for the sequel that's right around the corner.

It would be easy to point out EA's past mistakes, but kudos to them for starting a positive trend.

EA learning? Took them long enough.

Also: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-06-ea-origin-wont-copy-steam-75-percent-off-sales

I suppose they are not completely backtracking, after all they said it wouldn't be doing 75% off.

origin...just...

you are doing quite a bit lately to earn some cred, aren't ya? apparently you've realized what kind of a shit hole you dug yourself into.

I have no idea whose face you kicked in or who got fired, but please, keep kicking those faces in with your massive fists

these aren't the BEST deals ever seen, but nonetheless are pretty damn good....

BUT STILL, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, QUIT HIDING ALL THAT BIOWARE DLC FROM THESE DEALS GODDAMMIT. I've been waiting years to buy some of that DLC for cheaper prices, no way in hell you're getting me to pay the price of the whole game for some characters/extra missions, fuck that shit.

I'm waiting to see just how cute of a dog the CEO kicked and is trying to cover up about.
How else do you explain EA growing brain cells?

Phrozenflame500:
Interest, they're really trying to ditch there reputation. And they're actually going the right way about it.

Too bad I'm not really interested in any of the games on sale, so I'm Origin-free until they get me a sale for a game I actually want.

I trolled through there looking for anything that was Origin exclusive that I would want. Most of the EA games I want I have and own on console to play with friends.

Still, this is pretty good start in terms of dealing with their rep.

But, to paraphrase one of The Escapist's writers (Andy Chalk, I think), I really expect the shoe to drop on something horrible they've done any moment. Like all this is leading up to them actually creating Skynet or something.

Marik2:
B-But this is suppose to cheapen IP brands.....

Just be happy they seem to have learned.

Ed130:
EA learning? Took them long enough.

Also: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-06-ea-origin-wont-copy-steam-75-percent-off-sales

I suppose they are not completely backtracking, after all they said it wouldn't be doing 75% off.

Next one will be 74.99999% off.

*Opens Origin*

Nope. The Origin store is still in Japanese, despite my settings having the interface set to English. Guess I won't be buying anything on Origin today.

Hooray! The Sims 3 and expansions are priced at something I'm actually willing to pay for them :D

Woo!

Scars Unseen:
*Opens Origin*

Nope. The Origin store is still in Japanese, despite my settings having the interface set to English. Guess I won't be buying anything on Origin today.

I know it's probably irritating you, but the post struck a perfect element of comedy and I laughed for over a minute.

Have you tried setting the language into Japanese and then back into English?

Scars Unseen:
*Opens Origin*

If you scroll the store down to the bottom, there's a dropdown that you can hopefully choose "English" from.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:

Scars Unseen:
*Opens Origin*

If you scroll the store down to the bottom, there's a dropdown that you can hopefully choose "English" from.

P.S. Thanks

Not in the Origin program, nor on the Origin site. There's something that looks like a dropdown menu with a Japanese flag on it, but rather than dropping a menu, it just links to the EA Japan website.

It's actually kinda clever, I joked to my wife last week that the story that would follow the humble bundle would be EA patting itself on the back because it's origin userbase spiked in August. Turns out they went a step further, now that you actually have people that might want to use the service because of those cheap games you gave them last week, throw stuff on sale this week, and you might get some of their money, and a little bit of love. It makes far too much sense... they have to planning something evil... don't they?

i own 4 and of the last two i don't think i want them the sims don't interest me and i don't think bf3 is the kind of shooter i like anymore

idarkphoenixi:
I find it a little funny that EA actually doing heavy discounts makes headline news.

Except we also get headline news every time there's a big Steam or GOG sale..

OT: good show EA, this continues to be the right way to go about getting some love and a larger, loyal customer base on PC. Still a way to go with some things and I'm not biting when there's no games I'm interested in getting, but props.

Steven Bogos:

Origin has been really trying its pants off to improve its image these days...

Wait, what?

Taking one's pants off in public improves one's image? That flies in the face of logic.

I had Origin installed briefly for ME3, and now I'll be reinstalling it to buy Dead Space 3 (humble bundle) and Crysis 3 ($20 digital).

So yeah, sales work. SURPRISE!

Jesus. So many sequels. PS4 can't get here soon enough.

This is a good move and all but the way thos ad was framed.... "buy these games now! im saying now! buy you filthy moneybay!" it totally put me off.

Maybe this is a sign of better days to come. The post-Riccitiello age.

Scars Unseen:

Covarr:

Scars Unseen:
*Opens Origin*

P.S. Thanks

Not in the Origin program, nor on the Origin site. There's something that looks like a dropdown menu with a Japanese flag on it, but rather than dropping a menu, it just links to the EA Japan website.

Are you connected through a Proxy or VPN?

Also, your account might be defaulted to the Japan region for whatever reason, Call Origin support and hope you get the one that speaks english.

OT: Took them long enough to post meaningful sales on games that have already come and gone. Don't get me wrong, good things are good, but it's a bit dishonest to sell off the base games only to slap prospective players with "SURPRISE PAYWALL!!! DLC FOR ONLY $60!!!" Which is the case for BF3, Sims, and a couple others.

Wow... I might actually put origin on my computer for these....

If there was an EA title I actually wanted...

I might buy Sim City though........ Maybe....

idarkphoenixi:

To be fair though, a game like BattleField 3 could go for 99% off and EA wouldn't care. Everyone's already bought it and anyone who hasn't is probably saving up for the sequel that's right around the corner.

Not to mention that you can't really do shit with the base game alone unless you buy the Premium.

But cool - now, start expanding your library and making this a common thing, not something worthy of a surprise.

Btw, is this US only or does everyone qualify?

well done indeed EA, too bad I don't have a PC sufficient to run even Minecraft, otherwise I might have got an origin account

Yeah so creepy uncle EA finally flashes a jagged yellow grin and in his softest possible voice offers you a candy, and that makes him.... nice? This is eerily reminiscent of when a bastard that does their lover wrong gives flowers to make nice.

Okay, so I'm being a tad hyperbolic, I know that. I'm just not convinced they've changed their spots and throwing doggy a bone doesn't undo years of kicking doggy in the ribs. Once bitten, twice shy.

well ill be picking up the rest of the sims 3 stuff ive been missing. then ill be set till the next expansion in october which is a time travel one. i look forward to destroying the future !!!

Well, seems like I'm not one of those people to who (or whome?) EA wants to sell anything. I can't find anything on sales and the link in OP just sends me back to the empty homepage.

Steven Bogos:
Of course, some of these games were available in the recent "pay what you want" Humble Origin Bundle

Are available in the current Humble Origin Bundle. It doesnt end for another 6 days.

I'm still not comfortable giving them any money or using their service.

Icehearted:

Okay, so I'm being a tad hyperbolic, I know that. I'm just not convinced they've changed their spots and throwing doggy a bone doesn't undo years of kicking doggy in the ribs. Once bitten, twice shy.

Especially since just last year one of their executives scoffed at the idea of sales for digital games.

Ympulse:

Scars Unseen:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

Are you connected through a Proxy or VPN?

Also, your account might be defaulted to the Japan region for whatever reason, Call Origin support and hope you get the one that speaks english.

Well it's likely defaulting to Japan because I'm in Japan. I'm American and working on an American military base, but physically I'm in Japan. I don't pay for a VPN and don't trust my credit card info over the free ones.

As for calling Origin support, I have little confidence in that route. They still won't even merge my two Origin accounts(that are only separate because my Bioware and EA accounts were registered to different email addresses when Origin started) or move my Mass Effect 2 DLC to the Origin account that actually has Mass Effect 2 registered to it. Unless part of EA's apparent heel face turn is to fire all their previous customer support agents and replace them with people that actually support customers, I doubt I'll make any headway through that department.

Don't be fooled.
EA is still crap for PC
Got Dead Space 3 with the humble bundle.
Got hit by a bug that's been reported for 7 months and was very easy to reproduce.
Actually got hit by it twice!
No text chat, no push to talk.
Everything's giving me to impression that they just don't give a damn.

The humble bundle was a nice enough gesture for me to give origin another shot.
They just blew it.

Origin is still spyware. Games for cheap on Origin is still games (albeit cheap) attached to spyware.

And EA will still arbitrarily close down your account (no refunds) if they feel grumpy that day and take notice of you. This is why so many people create a separate account for each Origin game they play, so that they only lose one game at a time.

So no. Even though I might have had hopes for Sims 4, I will not play it. Why? Origin.

No sale, EA.

238U

Tsk tsk tsk. Such fickle quitters.

For this spawning pool of EA hate, to see such positive consideration is very disappointing. Where is the "Of course they are doing a sale now, they just did the bundle to make it LOOK generous, but purposely left out DLC, and now follow up like a drug dealer with an on site sale on DLC as well as other stuff to get people hooked? Evil Empire Evil Empire"

In all seriousness I was not on the BURN EA bandwagon. I still cannot effectively use origin until they abandon their "you must abandon your rights" policy, the same as steam. But I still buy console EA titles. It is good to see something try to knock steam around so that the misconceptions around steam can be corrected and competition will keep such DD platforms in check and hopefully correct and prevent further policy abuses and anti consumer practices.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here