Ben Affleck is The New Batman

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ben Affleck is The New Batman

Warner Bros has announced that the star of Gigli, Jersey Girl and Pearl Harbor will be the new Dark Knight.

We won't deny that Ben Affleck has done some good work in his career. In fact, recent years have seen him at the helm of some genuinely excellent films. Argo which he starred in and directed, won an Oscar for Best Picture, while some of his other recent efforts have also managed to garner considerable praise from critics. That being said, Affleck has also had starred in more than a few stinkers in his day. Among these is Daredevil, arguably one of the most disappointing superhero films ever made.

Keeping that flop in mind, Warner Brothers has announced that Affleck will be taking up the cape and cowl as the new Batman in the recently announced sequel to Man of Steel. "We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.' remarkable legacy with the character of Batman," said Warner Brothers' Sue Kroll. "He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes." Man of Steel director Zack Snyder offered similarly sentiments. "Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry's Superman," he said. "He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne."

Again, we're going to try and remember here that Affleck has arguably proven himself a more capable filmmaker than his earlier career might have suggested possible. We'll also raise the example of Heath Ledger, whom nobody could see as the Joker when that was announced. He rocked that role and Affleck has every chance of doing the same as Batman. Still, Ben Affleck being the new Batman raises some questions. For instance, do you think he'll try his own version of Christian Bale's Batman voice? Because, even as we're trying to be fair to the man, the mental image of Ben Affleck growling "swear to me!" is making us laugh. We're sorry Ben, we really are.

Source: IGN

Words. I have none.

As if I needed another reason not to see the movie.

Welp, that's unexpected.

I guess he can play as Bruce Wayne, but as Batman?

Eh....

edit: P.S. if they tell Batman's origin AGAIN, i will go to hollywood and smack the shit out of zack snyder, the writers, the producers, etc.

Hmmm.

I think I'm going to wait for an actual trailer to come out first. For all we know, he might do a good job as Batman.

Well guess I won't go see anymore Batman movies.

schrodinger:
Welp, that's unexpected.

Eh....

lol, he can play the character, but not that same character wearing a mask with (possibly) less dialog? :P

In any case, nope. Can't picture it.

The7Sins:
Well guess I won't go see anymore Batman movies.

Fortunately, this is a Superman movie they're talking about, so you're in luck.

Meh, I'm open to it. He was in some real stinkers, but he has also had plenty of great films in his career. He has always been a mixed bag as far as acting is concerned. I think he'll do fine as the Dark Knight. Also, Daredevil gets way more bad press than it deserves. That movie was very good compared to a whole lot of other movies out there, to be honest. But it was a fine retelling of a classic Daredevil tale. In all honesty, the thing that stunk that movie up was how Bullseye was represented. Elektra was pretty well handled, but not the sequel... that movie was truly terrible.

My first thought was obviously "I guess it's time to stop caring about Batman for the next decade or so".

Then my second thought was "You know what? As long as he doesn't do the stupid Bale-voice, I'll give him a shot".

Why the downright awful casting?

schrodinger:
Welp, that's unexpected.

Eh....

edit: P.S. if they tell Batman's origin AGAIN, i will go to hollywood and smack the shit out of zack snyder, the writers, the producers, etc.

HAY i thought george clooney could play a good bruce wayne. ...if i were a mod i might just ban myself now before i get out of line LOL.

....can i be immature and nerd rage? Can i have permission? i feel sick like my dog big my gf and they both died.... on my birthay.

and i found out i was secretly Canadian (lol sorry, but i'm so damn upset).

He's not a horrible actor...it's just.... It's hard to get Daredevil surgically removed from your mind, you know? Is Matt Damon going to be Robin?

Baresark:
Meh, I'm open to it. He was in some real stinkers, but he has also had plenty of great films in his career. He has always been a mixed bag as far as acting is concerned. I think he'll do fine as the Dark Knight. Also, Daredevil gets way more bad press than it deserves. That movie was very good compared to a whole lot of other movies out there, to be honest. But it was a fine retelling of a classic Daredevil tale. In all honesty, the thing that stunk that movie up was how Bullseye was represented. Elektra was pretty well handled, but not the sequel... that movie was truly terrible.

My rebuttal:

And yes, Elektra blew.

That's an...interesting choice, for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought Christian Bale would have been a good Batman, and he was alright, so maybe this will work out, too.

I just hope he doesn't try to do "The Voice."

Just say no, Ben.

Baresark:

hah wow someone else who thinks daredevil wasn't awful!

i do dislike how bullseye was handled, but overall the movie wasn't "horribad"

OT: honestly i'm scratching my head at this casting, but i'm not COMPLETELY against it to say that i won't see the movie before i judge it.

I feel this is "good enough". Trying to think of alternatives who are in their late-30s early-40s with the right build and features.

The only others I could have thought of were Clive Owen, Gerald Butler or Michael Fassbender.

He's got the physical features and is a capable actor and director.

I think the only thing I require is that his suit doesn't have nipples.

Seriously, Ben Afflack? Good grief, I knew WB wouldn't be able to hold together their desperate attempt at lobbing a counter franchise to the Avengers. Neil Patrick Harris would be a better Batman, hell Nathan Fillion would be a better...

Nathan Fillion should totally be the next Batman.

That was unexpected.

Then again, I wouldn't have expected them to pick Michael Keaton for the first Batman movie either, and he did a fine job.

--Morology!

Never thought Heath Ledger could do Joker. I was wrong. I give Affleck a chance, he has talent when he pulls his head out of his ass...

The fuck Warner Bros their are literally like 10 or more other actors you could go with over Affleck.

Well that's certainly unexpected.

But he isn't such a bad choice really, especially for a Superman/Batman combo movie. These two actors actually remind me of the animated movies.

Affleck is exactly the guy who can play the "hey look at me I'm still important even with all these gods with superpowers flying around" sort of Batman.

Overall though, so far the movie can either be a) completely unremarkable, b) so bad it's gonna be a spectacle. Let's wait and see.

Wasn't there joke or fantasy casting or possibly a rumor in the early 2000's where Affleck was cast as Batman? I'm pretty sure there was.

Well, not it's real.

Maybe he'll also play the shark in the Jaws reboot.

... I actually like this, because I have NO idea how this is going to work out.

Watching WB put together this movie feels a lot like watching a 12 year old try to cook for the very first time,tossing ingredients together that are fantastic apart but have no idea that they will work at all in the long run. Like tossing marshmallows and potato chips in between slices of lasagna to toss in into a deep fryer.

It may not make sense now or even work in the long run, but dammit, now I wanna taste some deep fried Marshmallow Lasagna, just to know how it all ends up.

There could be a worse pick. Michael Cera comes to mind. Not sure why I went straight to him, but it did...

I really feel like facepalming, because I wanted so hard that someone at warner would AT LEAST consider Karl Urban after watching his Dredd.

BUT, I too though it was a stupid idea to have Heath Ledger for the Joker before, and did not believe Tom Hardy could do a good Bane, and both proved me way wrong. Soooo, all I can do for now is bite the tip of my tumb and wait to see what happens now. I did like Man of Steel quite a lot, and DC characters were always my favorites, and more than that, freaking Zack Snyder never misses imo.
So bring Ben Affleck.

There's also that guy that was the stupid Human Torch in Fantastic Four, and did a convincing Steve Rogers. Guess I'll let myself open for new ideas.

I could think of worse actors for the job. I'm cautiously skeptical on this one but I do have some hope. Like others have said, I'm sure he can do Bruce Wayne, Batman will be tougher.

StewShearer:

Baresark:

My rebuttal:

And yes, Elektra blew.

I wouldn't say the movie was good(it has some real flaws), but in my eyes that rebuttal reminded me how much more fun Daredevil was/is than all the "gritty" super hero movies we've been getting.

Eh give him a chance, after all michael keaton did a good job at the role, as long as he does not try to copy bales throat cancer voice.

orangeapples:
There could be a worse pick. Michael Cera comes to mind. Not sure why I went straight to him, but it did...

Because Michael Cera is perhaps the worst actor you could possibly have playing Batman?

So bad that any woman could play BatMAN better than Michael Cera.

I don't like Michael Cera... he has the most punchable face.

If I learned anything from the past casting of Batman, it's not to judge on first appearance.

After all, a pretty boy being cast as the Joker turned out well.

.......................................................................I suddenly want to cancel my preorder for Arkham Origins....

Seriously, was Val Kilmer not available? How about George Clooney and his Bat-Credit Card? I honestly think a little part of me died when I read this. Sorry to all the Ben Affleck fans out there (saying that just in case there ARE Ben Affleck fans out there), but I just can't stand the guy.

Please tell me this is an Onion post? Is it April 1 already? Please? anyone? This is a joke? Right?

Oh Gods!!! /sob

My very first thought was this:

...Guys, my brain is getting weird again. Make it staaaaahp! D:

I had to do a double take. I read this once, and thought I saw 'Ben Affleck as Batman'.

I thought...how silly, I must have misread. He's obviously been signed on as a new director...

Then I reread.

Oh god. The horror. The horror.

So they are just going to pallet swap the Daredevil costume and add a cape?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here