Microsoft's Steve Ballmer To Retire In 12 Months

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer To Retire In 12 Months

He's going to help choose a successor first.

This will be Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's last year. He intends to stick around long enough to help choose a successor and then leave, a process that should take twelve months. "There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," says Ballmer, as he praised the current leadership team, and wished them every success. He could have stuck around, he says, but right now the company needs someone who's going to be in the hot seat for the long term, to help plan company strategy, and that person was never going to be him.

Ballmer has fond memories of his time with the company. "I love the bigness and boldness of our bets," says he, possibly with an eye on current events. Ballmer's been a company man since 1980; he was Microsoft's 30th employee, hired as a business manager - the company's first - by Bill Gates himself. It wasn't that long ago that Ballmer took control of the Xbox Division after Don Mattrick jumped ship; it's not clear whether Ballmer intends to hand that off to someone else, or whether it will become the next CEO's responsibility. During his tenure Ballmer's been criticised for being an administrator, not a leader; the sort of person who'd let brilliant opportunities slip by, content to follow rather than set trends. Microsoft's share price, which has stayed stagnant for some time, went up 8% when the news broke.

"I take this step in the best interests of the company I love," says Ballmer. "It is the thing outside of my family and closest friends that matters to me most." We'll keep you posted as to who ends up in the hot seat next. As for Ballmer, good luck to him; and good luck to his successor, for that matter.

Source: Microsoft

Can't someone else choose his successor? He hasn't been horribly good at this.

That picture is perfect.

Zachary Amaranth:

Cut the head off a chicken and make the decision based on where it falls?

(Slightly more) OT: See ya!

Is his head photoshopped onto that body? The skin color is wrong in like a perfect straight line. It's weird.

Eh, you could do a lot worse than Ballmer. I've enjoyed Microsoft's recent trend toward innovation, good or bad.

Teoes:
That picture is perfect.

If by perfect you mean "OH GOD HE'S IN MY HOUSE, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!"

Teoes:

Zachary Amaranth:

Sacrifice an XBone and read the future on its innards.

Does this mean a strategic change where they look at trends and try to match the desires of their customers?

I hope so, the whole let's dictate what you want approach of Microsoft has been somewhat grating the last couple of years, plus being single handedly responsible for a rapid slump in PC sales is such a fine reputation builder.

darthzew:
Is his head photoshopped onto that body? The skin color is wrong in like a perfect straight line. It's weird.

I noticed that too. It looks disturbing. As if his head is overheating and is going to explode.

Shares went up eight percent? Holy shit! That's not a small amount.

If it came to light that Steve Ballmer regularly devours human infants, I don't know if I would be all that surprised.
Also, Win8 sucks.

That's all I got.

Teoes:
That picture is perfect.

Zachary Amaranth:

(Slightly more) OT: See ya!

I would have more faith in that decision, that's for sure!

I think this has to be the best piece of news this year, the second that GTA V will likly be on PC.

Every time I hear his name, I either think of that old commercial or this...

(Sees PS4 preorder sales)"Abandon Shi[p! Abandon ship!" XD Also,nice face,dude.

TizzytheTormentor:

1.(Sees PS4 preorder sales)"Abandon Shi[p! Abandon ship!" XD Also,nice face,dude. 2. Dude's nuts,isn't he?

Saw this coming with the disappointment the Surface has been financially and the headache of Office. It's a pity because I actually love the Surface, love Windows 8 on tablets generally too but Office 365 is worrying from an IT security standpoint so loads of businesses will never implement it.

Still, it's hard to take him seriously when all I can picture him doing is yelling "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS".

darthzew:

Eh, you could do a lot worse than Ballmer. I've enjoyed Microsoft's recent trend toward innovation, good or bad.

It's a shadow, cast by a lamp behind his right shoulder, quite likely the light generated by whatever slide show is up on the screen. You'll notice his ear and cheek are also noticeably lighter than his face.

Am curious though, whether he's retiring, or that the disastrous Xbone announcement was cause for the board to go head-hunting.

This is dandy. Ballmer fucked up Windows 8, and he was well on the way to fucking up the Xbox One. Hopefully the next CEO will be one without so much disdain for the users.

P.S. Thanks

And stock rises 8% when you announce your intent to retire? Ouch. That's got to be a bit of a kick in the shorts.

Still, Microsoft has clearly not been healthy for some time. Many of the products it's released have been ill-conceived and reactionary, and its internal workings, according to some sources, are increasingly back-biting and self-destructive. I hope they can pull things out of their current fall, for the sake of the PC market if nothing else.

Retirement, Retirement, Retirement, Retirement, Retirement, Retirement!
Anyway, the EA executive shift resulted in a marked reduction in evil, I hope the same happens for MS and their incompetence.

Kargathia:

darthzew:

It's a shadow, cast by a lamp behind his right shoulder, quite likely the light generated by whatever slide show is up on the screen. You'll notice his ear and cheek are also noticeably lighter than his face.

Am curious though, whether he's retiring, or that the disastrous Xbone announcement was cause for the board to go head-hunting.

Being allowed to choose his successor seems like an indicator that this is voluntary. If the board really turned on him, they'd have picked their own guy.

Cant believe how Jake the Dog nailed him in Pirates of Silicone valley

Kargathia:

darthzew:

I am thinking given the bulging neck muscles and visible veins... He is just REALLY EXCITED or angry and that is making his face flush....

slash2x:

Kargathia:

darthzew:

I am thinking given the bulging neck muscles and visible veins... He is just REALLY EXCITED or angry and that is making his face flush....

The heavy lighting alone would account for his face being flush, but do keep in mind that the skin above the neck arteries would be the first to redden up when flushed.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Go down with the ship you bastard!! You can't do this to the world, you both have to drown...

*sigh* Now you'll both just suffer longer apart.

Gotta love the mandatory "sinking ship"comments.Mostly because the outcomes tend to be the opposite.

ot:Not really surprising,all cosidering the talks of balmer retiring way before the x1 was annouced.

TizzytheTormentor:

only thing I think of is how fond he was of Developers

the next ceo will be his cousin doofus ballmer.

the new kinect will be able to make popcorn due to "advanced popcorning rays" comming out of the lens.

Good riddance.

Doubt he'll pick someone who knows what they're doing, atleast his damage is limited to the next 12 months. He's certainly did his best to wreck MS. To think, a decade ago they were #1 with 500+ billion, now surpased by Apple, google, and facebook, and worth roughly 200 billion or so.

Is it bad that my first thought upon reading this earlier today was to get this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

You know, just to be ready for when the day finally comes.

The man has been nothing but a disaster for MS, and by extension for the tech industry as a whole. With fiasco after disaster, from Zune, to Kin, Surface to Metro and Office 365. The sooner he's gone, the better off we all are.

Thank Christ. The man is regularly cited as one of the worst CEOs in the business.

Kargathia:

darthzew:

The XBone was more the icing on the cake. The near billion $ loss on Surface and the probably even worse losses on Windows 8 are the key issues. MS has made less on the entire XBox project from day one, than they lost in a few months on the Surface. The board is also getting nervous that MS's sudden push towards consumer products is driving away their otherwised more locked in business and enterprise customers, who form the bulk of MS's profits.

It's like my prayers have been answered all in one news announcement. :D
Seriously, Steve Ballmer has been running Microsoft to the ground for awhile now and not even his board really likes him. Heck he has a 53% approval rating from his own employees. Let's hope that whoever takes over can start to try and get MS on a better path again.

TizzytheTormentor:

This still makes me not know whether to laugh or be speechless.

And I mean, for crying out loud, if you're going to leap around like a maniac for a minute, at least make sure you're fit enough to do so without looking and sounding like you're about to have a heart attack when you stop.

Thank god and good riddance. Microsoft has been seriously falling behind since he took the reins.

Zachary Amaranth:

This.

Eh, XBox might fail, Windows 8 might fail, Surface might fail, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. MS has its majority of revenue coming in from Office, the OS used in workplaces (still most running on XP) and Server and Tools. All of these because of the monopoly that Gates created decades ago. All these divisions are still profitable because of backward compatibility, because it's tough retraining employees to use a new interface. MS is still going strong because of its past, not because of any new direction Ballmer has tried (and failed) to take it (even the XBox360 revenues are nascent compared to the Office revenues). MS is profitable in spite of its CEO, not because of him, and any other tech company with no steady revenues to fall back on would have been sunk by these missteps years ago.

Raiyan 1.0:
Eh, XBox might fail, Windows 8 might fail, Surface might fail, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. MS has its majority of revenue coming in from Office, the OS used in workplaces (still most running on XP) and Server and Tools. All of these because of the monopoly that Gates created decades ago. All these divisions are still profitable because of backward compatibility, because it's tough retraining employees to use a new interface. MS is still going strong because of its past, not because of any new direction Ballmer has tried (and failed) to take it (even the XBox360 revenues are nascent compared to the Office revenues). MS is profitable in spite of its CEO, not because of him, and any other tech company with no steady revenues to fall back on would have been sunk by these missteps years ago.

I don't know about those last two products remaining profitable. MS are trying to pull the 'you're renting our software' with on of the latest versions of Office and this is the latest version of Windows Server

That's right, they decided it would be a good idea to stick a touch-screen interface onto software for servers.

"The interface formally known as Metro" isn't a bad tablet interface, its just that desktops are the primary userbase for Windows.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here