World of Warcraft Needs "Casual-Centric Features" To Survive

Pages 1 2 NEXT

World of Warcraft Needs "Casual-Centric Features" To Survive

world of warcraft promotional image

World of Warcraft's Tom Chilton says Blizzard is no longer opposed to the free-to-play model.

For those of you subscribing to the conspiracy that Blizzard have been "dumbing down" World of Warcraft for the casual market, well, it may not be such a conspiracy after all, as World of Warcraft's lead designer Tom Chilton has admitted that "casual-centric" features introduced in Mists of Pandaria have proven to be very successful, and are necessary for the game's survival.

"We would have been in bad shape had we not done that," said Chilton, referring to Pandaria's casual focus. He then tried to appease his hardcore fanbase by explaining that keeping things the same as the golden days of vanilla WoW wouldn't have been a good move. "People who played vanilla always say 'if it had stayed the same, I would have the same fun now as I did then.' But that's not true. Audiences always evolve."

He did acknowledge a lack of "new experiences for the hardcore audience," stating it's something that will be focused on at a later date and is likely something that will be introduced through future expansions. But hardcore audiences are a fickle folk, so by shunning them with Pandaria, Blizzard may have lost them forever.

For now, it seems that Blizzard is no longer opposed to re-inventing World of Warcraft as a free-to-play title, with Chilton telling us that "For Blizzard it makes sense [to go free-to-play] at some point. But a lot of the risk is in making that transition. You hear stories about developers going free-to-play and getting double the number of players, but you don't always know it works out that way and how long it stays that way. We really don't know what the rate is before people drop off and lose interest."

What do you guys think? Has World of Warcraft's recent casual focus brought you back into the game, or turned you off it? Would switching to a free-to-play model get you back in?

Source: Polygon

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/06/30/tom-chilton-discusses-free-to-play-wow/

From three years ago. This dude really like his free to play it seems.

I was turned off of the game back in Cata, but MoP hasn't brought me back. It's mostly because of the subscription fee and the community. If they drop it and rework their prices for the game + expansions, then maybe I'll have a look at it, again. Otherwise, I just watch it from a distance. GW2 has spoiled me.

If it's working, why are they still losing players in droves? If anything the inclusion of LFR splintered the end game scene to the point where a ton of players just up and left. I'm not sure what is working, but their strategy isn't.

As opposed to what, becoming a niche game that can still hold value with current and future players as it ages?

...Really, what's wrong with aiming for a smaller/more niche audience in a MMO? I've felt like I've said this too many times, but please, please developers, get rid of the mindset that the word "massive" in MMO is supposed to refer to the number of players that's supposed to be playing your game. Let it instead define the kind of experience the player may have, or the size of the world, the amount of social interaction, or god forbid the level of depth within the game!

Stop playing the "grab the most people" game, and as a result past MMO players might once again take the genre seriously enough to revisit it.

Dr.Awkward:
As opposed to what, becoming a niche game that can still hold value with current and future players as it ages?

...Really, what's wrong with aiming for a smaller/more niche audience in a MMO? I've felt like I've said this too many times, but please, please developers, get rid of the mindset that the word "massive" in MMO is supposed to refer to the number of players that's supposed to be playing your game. Let it instead define the kind of experience the player may have, or the size of the world, the amount of social interaction, or god forbid the level of depth within the game!

Stop playing the "grab the most people" game, and as a result past MMO players might once again take the genre seriously enough to revisit it.

I think it's because they were riding high and getting a lot of money when they had more people. Being a small niche title probably doesn't sound appealing to them after being on top of the MMO world for so long.

If WOW did go free to playi think they could win over long term players by giving rewards to players who have had subscriptions of certain length.

Colt47:
If it's working, why are they still losing players in droves? If anything the inclusion of LFR splintered the end game scene to the point where a ton of players just up and left. I'm not sure what is working, but their strategy isn't.

My thought as well. I have no idea whether or not the "casual focus" is what's hurting subscriber numbers (gut feeling is that it's not*), but his reasoning here is absurd.

When you're bleeding subscribers, the answer isn't to double down on what's changed since your peak.

*but in case anyone was wondering, my pet theory is that the root issue is expansion fatigue. Every community has churn, whether free or paid. Even if it's the best thing ever, some percentage of your audience is always going to leave due to rl/burnout/changing tastes. The key to a healthy system is to bring enough new people to replace the ones that leave. Each new expansion adds yet another roadblock for a new or returning player. If a player is interested and wants to get in on it, they have five separate pieces of software to buy. Yes, there's fewer if they know about the battle chest, but it's still a lot of mental juggling over which expansions they need to buy in order to get the full game. And over the course of this, how many people are just going to say "screw this, I'm going back to dota".

If blizzard hopes to regain their former numbers, they need to make it much simpler for people to get in and get going. Ironically, cata revamped the new player experience, but it just added another hurdle for the prospective player.

Their only salvation: introduce a cat-race and add hats.

That's fine, as long as the quality of the game content (quests, etc) have absolutely no connection to the free-to-play model (I'm referring to the stereotype that free-to-play games are generally inferior to play), then I'm happy.

I don't play WoW anymore, mind you, but I am considering playing again on a more limited basis regardless of whether it's gone free-to-play.

What really killed it for me was the depth that the world lost with the new expansions. Mounts at 20 so you just run past everything to get to the next quest. Flyers at 60 so you just fly in straight lines to get to the next quest. LFG so you can run in straight lines to the next quest while also being matched up to a group in which you run in straight lines to the next mob and completely destroy enemies while not saying a single fucking word to the other players in your party. What's that? You're not having fun? Here, let's remove many of the interesting class quests and remove the need for you to ever party with another player outside of LFG again! WHY ARE PEOPLE LEAVING?!

Also: Let's give guild XP bonuses to players stacked on top of BoA gear xp bonuses! Damn, why are people getting so burned out on endgame? It couldn't be the fact that we're almost dragging them to 90 could it?

I'm not saying the game shouldn't be accessible to new players. I'm just saying that when you turn an MMO from a multiplayer community focused game into a solo quest grind fest and strip away any exploration and discovery people are going to get burned out pretty fast.

Moved to a private server ages ago, haven't looked back.

Don't play all that often anymore though, i'm waiting for Wildstar.

What Blizzard fails to see is that "casual-centric" does not have to mean "give every player, regardless of time commitment and concentration capacity (really, that is all there is to being able to raid: concentrating for 2 or 3 hours) every bit of content available".
See, if you let me put on me little rose-tinted goggles, in good old Burning Crusade times, there were challenges for all types of players. My Prot Pally would not get taken to raids much, but whatever, there were heroic dungeons that actually were challenging throughout the expansion. So you could be perfectly fine just finding groups, running heroics and going through the occasional Karazhan, dreaming of that one day you might get taken to Tempest Keep as a standin. This level of play has been completely removed from the game. The only way to gear up for raids is to run LFR endlessly or grinding through heroics that have not been added to since the start of the expansion. And don't even get me started on "Heroic" scenarios....
So by the time you have the gear for the current raiding tier, what is there to see? Nothing you haven't ground through a hundred times already.

Of course Blizzard is losing players, they are actively discouraging people from finding raid teams and the social ties that come with them. Without my raid team, I wouldn't have lasted three months in MoP.

We already know that they are completely redesigning Titan, in no small part due to it shifting towards F2P, so I say go consistent with WoW as long as they can until they run it into the ground. It's like driving/buying a car: why try to get comfortable with a new one when the oldsmobile you're driving has another good 50,000 miles on it. It may never be as good as the old days, but it still works.

I'd probably have stayed with WoW if they had halted the non-stop lore rape and got people with actual talent to work on the game again instead of having everyone that is worth a shit working on Titan and having the Z-Team running WoW.

Nope, wont bring me back. The reason is because quite frankly Wrath of the Lich King was the last good expansion they had. Story telling up till that expansion was mostly original story telling. Cataclysm became 90% easter eggs and in some cases outright Plagiarism. As bad as that expansion was, it didn't lose subscribers as badly as Mists of Pandaria.

Mists of Pandaria brought with it more plagiarism, and a feature that destroyed communities and game stability. The feature called Cross Realm Zones. Crossing zone boarders was locking my system up for a few seconds and ending with my character busting out in a flash of light that was giving me headaches. It made my invested passenger mounts a wasted investment. And it also invalidated my server transfers, as I transfered off a server to get away from a couple of drama queens. CRZ put me back with them people I paid $125 to get away from. My server's community became trapped either in stormwind or pandaria.

So what was Blizzard's response to these issues? "If you dislike CRZ for any reason, then you just want a single player game and should go play skyrim". Blizzard since being bought and integrated into Activision, has become a toxic brand name. Going free to play says only one thing in the wake of their Quarterly reports showing subscription numbers going down faster than 2 years of cataclysm. It shows that the numbers have gone down so drastically now that they are forced to consider free to play. I estimated that if they kept losing 600k to 1 million subscribers a quarter they'd be down to 5 million by december. But the fact that they are now seeming like they are in panic mode and trying to justify going free to play, the numbers may well be well below that estimate.

Me, I will give my $14.99 to a company that respects its players, and that company is Square Enix. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is going to be my investment from here on. I had invested 19 years in Blizzard, 8 years in WoW. And in 1 year Blizzard lost all respect from me, completely alienating a loyal customer. I hope they do crash and burn, they deserve it.

I was with WoW up until the end of Burning Crusade. I ended up leaving due to guild drama breaking up a pretty successful raiding guild that I was a part of and no longer being able to justify paying a subscription fee for having a chance at a chance to get the gear needed. After graduating from college, my playtime boiled down to almost exclusively just showing up for raids 3 times a week. On those raids I'd have to hope for the gear I needed to drop, and if it did drop I'd have to compete with the other people that needed/wanted it. I still had fun on the raids for the social aspect, but that guild drama that I mentioned was even beginning to rob me of that. So I went ahead and bailed out, hearing from a friend of mine that the guild ended up dissolving completely about 2 weeks later.

So I don't know what's become of WoW in recent days, though from looking through the other comments it seems like it's been watered down so much that I'd find it completely unrecognizable were I to try and get back into it. I remember when it first came out, getting that super lvl 10 Paladin hammer was a journey in itself, the reward of which really paid off for all the effort you put into it. And getting my warlock's Epic Mount and the ability to cast Ritual of Doom were lots of fun for the challenge they presented. If they're just giving these things away now, I can definitely see how/why veteran players are feeling jaded by the whole deal. I'd say that switching to F2P would make me likely want to check it out again...but on the other hand it's like I said: I'd probably find it completely unrecognizable from my days playing it and would likely end up losing interest pretty quickly.

Steven Bogos:

What do you guys think? Has World of Warcraft's recent casual focus brought you back into the game, or turned you off it? Would switching to a free-to-play model get you back in?

Um, I never left. Though going free-to-play would probably drive me away from the game. I'm not going to pay more than my fair share of the game, just so it can pick up some freeloaders.

Dr.Awkward:

The saddest part is that they will lose more money if it goes the Freemium way. Right now, they make 10x more money than any other MMO on the market, even if they only had 2 million subscribers, they would still make more money in the long run than if they had 5 million "Free To Play" players. One month they could make a lot of money, the next 3 they might make very little. Free To Play is not a stable market and it is definitely not one that can guarantee money.

I will officially call this MMO dead and Blizzard a bunch of morons if they ever move this to F2P before it hits under one million subscribers.

They do know that the game became popular during Burning Crusade right and while dialed down a bit in complexity form the 40 man days of classic it was the least "accessible" raiding and end game that they have ever had. And you now what it made people play the game. The problem now is they think everyone wants instant gratification and will lose interest if they are not getting upgrades or access to new stuff or achievements popping up every second.

What keeps people playing is content where you have to progress over time and work up to things it instills a seance of accomplishment when you finally do get there and keeps people engaged when they are aiming for it, its also cheaper as you don't have to keep making more and more and more content that people burn through in less than a week.

But they don't think for themselves they look at focus groups that say " i want to raid " " i want to get gear" etc, and we all know about the problems of bias in focus groups where people say what they think makes them look good in fount of others and not what they themselves want.

Seriously i am almost past caring about this game the game i loved was gone long ago, well i enjoyed playing until after ulduar ( the best raid they have ever made) but i think i hit my peak in BC. I had hope there for a bit with ulduar but ahh well. I have the secret world and the old republic that enjoy quite a bit (especially the secret world) but i only play them on and off now.

I don't know why they don't make the new titan thing into there "casual MMO" and rewind the clock on Warcraft a bit. You then have two products that cover both ends of the market and well they will overlap in the middle and may people will play both. Win Win

The game went (or rather, started going) down the tubes with WotLK imo. There were just piles of bad game design choices happening from there on and they haven't stopped, quite the opposite, they just keep pushing it more casual. At this point though, it's their best option. The game is too old now and they should jump ship and get whatever that secret project of theirs is done as soon as possible to get their next cash cow primed. This one is dying and there's nothing that'll save it at this point, though they would be wise to go F2P at some point to drain some of the remaining cash out of it.

Sectan:
What really killed it for me was the depth that the world lost with the new expansions. Mounts at 20 so you just run past everything to get to the next quest. Flyers at 60 so you just fly in straight lines to get to the next quest. LFG so you can run in straight lines to the next quest while also being matched up to a group in which you run in straight lines to the next mob and completely destroy enemies while not saying a single fucking word to the other players in your party. What's that? You're not having fun? Here, let's remove many of the interesting class quests and remove the need for you to ever party with another player outside of LFG again! WHY ARE PEOPLE LEAVING?!

Also: Let's give guild XP bonuses to players stacked on top of BoA gear xp bonuses! Damn, why are people getting so burned out on endgame? It couldn't be the fact that we're almost dragging them to 90 could it?

I've seen arguments like this come up a few times and all the time my thought is the same: "Don't like it? Don't use it"

You get a mount at level 20, nobody is forcing you to use it. You get a flying mount at level 60, nobody is forcing you to use it. Don't like the Dungeon and Raid Finder tools? Don't use them. Simples.

Although I do wish it wasn't as focused on the endgame as it is. I wouldn't mind leveling a priest or resto shammy but after my 3 max level characters I'm just burnt out on leveling because it's always the same.

I always get confused when Blizzard talk about casual and hardcore. They keep adding bland time-consuming features, that feels pretty hardcore to me - in a bad way.

I liked the casual style of TBC. Do a few dungeons every week, one or two raidnights every week. Nowadays you have to do hardcore grind for months to catch up with others.

These days WoW is for players with boatloads of time, and no willingness to learn or even try.

Played it for ages, i didn't mind playing the subscription fee, but the community put me off.

Wow players are among the most toxic bile ridden petty people i have ever had the misfortune to multiplay with. Wow and the guild i miss, but the endless array of internet hardmen and drama queens doing their utmost to wreck everyone else's game i don't miss.

Double post, please delete this mods.

anthony87:

Sectan:

I've seen arguments come up like this few times and all the time my thought is the same: "Don't like it? Don't use it"

You get a mount at level 20, nobody is forcing you to use it. You get a flying mount at level 60, nobody is forcing you to use it. Don't like the Dungeon and Raid Finder tools? Don't use them. Simples.

Although I do wish it wasn't as focused on the endgame as it is. I wouldn't mind leveling a priest or resto shammy but after my 3 max level characters I'm just burnt out on leveling because it's always the same.

To be honest, I also place part of the blame on the revamped starting zones. I think the content is ok, but the pacing is too fast. You out-level a zone before completing a quest chain. If you choose to stick around and finish all the quests in the zone, then there's a good chance that the next zone will give you even fewer rewards as you'll be close to out-leveling that one as well. So, to get anything out of it, you HAVE to breeze past content or else you're doing quests that give you no useful rewards. I rolled alts and experienced that problem without any sort of leveling boost. Then you hit the level 60 wall with the Burning Crusade stuff and you're leveling moves painfully slow. In WotLK, it seems to move up to a decent pace, in my opinion (except for the starting zones, I didn't play Cata content). I'm not sure if any of this is changed in MoP, but I haven't heard anything about leveling changes. It seemed like they're starting to have this focus on getting people to the end game as quick as possible which may be why they focused on it more.

Dr.Awkward:

I've honestly gotta ask this. What on earth is niche about anything in WoW, regardless of the size of its population? And I ask this as someone who sunk 3 years into that game.

Vrach:
The game went (or rather, started going) down the tubes with WotLK imo. There were just piles of bad game design choices happening from there on and they haven't stopped, quite the opposite, they just keep pushing it more casual. At this point though, it's their best option. The game is too old now and they should jump ship and get whatever that secret project of theirs is done as soon as possible to get their next cash cow primed. This one is dying and there's nothing that'll save it at this point, though they would be wise to go F2P at some point to drain some of the remaining cash out of it.

Yeah they made some bad design choices in Wrath of the Lich King. Mostly it was how every character was immensely overpowered for their own good. And just handing out raid gear and letting people skip raid progression just to hit 80 and shoot straight to ICC, was a pretty bad mistake. But I believe their worse mistakes began in Cataclysm. It was at that point that Ghostcrawler and the new developers took over WoW and they lacked any semblance of imagination for story telling and chose instead to utilize the powers of sue, and plagiarize other sources for their zone reworks.

And I am gonna say it, at this point, there is no repairing their image as an game developer that "Only releases stuff when it is ready". As with the case of CRZ, the bugs related to it, were reported during the beta test, and ignored by the developers and implemented live regardless. In their treatment of their player base, the butchering of their own game, and the destruction of their own image as a game developing company, Titan wont even be able to bring in hardly anyone. It sucks that things had gotten that bad. But they have no one to blame but themselves for losing so many loyal players all in the name of a buck.

Mor casual really? did anyone tell them that casual gamers have the lowest brand loyalty and will pretty much switch to whatever is new and shiny that month? Really? Casual Gamers?

Look WoW I liked ya'll I still do but seriously, the only way you're going to get people back is to paradoxically make the game less casual. Jesus christ you're an MMO-RPG don't for get the RPG part. and Role not being described as Tank, Heals or DPS Roles as defined as how you fit in the greater world around you. See the first task of any RPG game is to actually make you feel a part of the world you're playing in. WoW has systematically been disengaging players from the World. MMO's already have a problem where in the players are not allowed to have any real effect on the game world. They've compounded this by more or less

A) Rushing you through the levels so you never stay in any one zone or even pay attention to the quests. In short by always focusing on the end game stuff they basically diminish the value of the early game thusly they have created a game whereby 90% of the content doesn't matter. When 90% of what a player does in the game has no real consequence then there is no satisfaction gained from the actions.

B) Shrinking the world. Yeah they may add new zones but let me ask you. How many people on any given server actually know how to get to say Scholomance? or Black Fathom, how many hmm? Unless you're gatherer there is lieterally nothing stopping a player from being as staionary as the NPC's in the game. Just camp outside the auction house. Believe it or not, the best RPG's are the RPG's that allow you to get lost... it makes getting to the destination that much more Yay worthy.

WoW if you want to get back on top you gotta go back to your roots, we have enough causal games, be nice to have a moderate or even hard core MMO in the pool. And no it doesn't equire F2P at this point I wouldn't trust blizzard to not nickle and dime us to unlock basic game play features. Subscription can work if the quality is there, people will pay for an experience that is more catered to their tastes as opposed to mass appealing. Sure it means a smaller player base but at the same time it gives you a dedicated player base that is less likely to drop out when something flash comes along.

By stemming the flow of leaving subscribers by implementing the casual features like pet battles and the farm, scenarios and the like they've ALSO NOW retained the ability to make really kick ass raids and features for the hard core. I still oppose the LFR aspect of it (but that's how they justify dipping that far into the budget to create such large raids) but here's hoping flex modes take off.

So... yeah. I agree.

The biggest dip in subs started with the dawn of Catacylsm. The supposedly hardcore friendly. (first patch)
And guess what. EVEN THE HARDCORE HATED IT! MONTHS of raiding just to reach the final boss and it wasn't fun, it was punishing, grueling. Barely 200 guilds had Sinestra (The hardest boss of the launch raids) down by the launch of the next raid. The atmosphere in servers dropped, the casuals who uphold the community sought their kicks elsewhere, and most of them either rolled alts and were 'away' from the fray, or just left outright due to seeing nothing at the peak for them to accomplish within reasonable means.

At end game you need more features. MORE things to do, whether that is casual OR hardcore. And as a hardcore (heroic raider, I suppose that qualifies me) I am still NO elitist. I know WoW needs all of it to survive. Pandaria offered all of that, hard and casual/fun for people to do.

They also stated quite alot that the 'free to play' model would be likely tested in Asia first if it came to that. Since alot of laws out there, require smaller increments of fees to play games like WoW due the the cult of 'internet cafe' players.

Oh and in response to the thread, I never left, but I feel like an IDIOT for not unsubbing during Cataclysm. The end game content was shameful. Pandaria feels like alot of love was poured into it and I would not be surprised if they gave up half way through Catacylsms development to make it.

I played WoW in beta and for a few months after Beta. Since then I came back once briefly for about 2 weeks once....and have thought of coming back a few times since then.

What held me back is by the time I wanted to come back, there was a bunch of expansions I would have to buy and the cost to try playing the game again...and actually do anything new, would not be worth it.

I'd like, for instance, to try out the new monk class. That could be fun...and might be enough reason for me to play again.

But to do that I'd need to buy the original game again (with the expansions probably) and then Mists of Pandaria. I think the WoW chest thing is like $20 and if I could just get pandaria and not cataclysm or any other expansions it would probably only be like $80 or so...but still, I'd rather just be able to try out a monk for a week or something and see if I even want to bother. There are tons of similar MMO's to WoW out there for free, and even the original didn't keep me interested that long (got one character to max and the rest like to 40 or something).

Compared to other MMO's that I have played more then a week, it's probably on the bottom of the list as far as how long it kept me interested (ok Star wars the old republic is under it...but not by much). Titles like Dungeons and dragons online kept me interested and playing for years (dark age of camelot as well etc).

So if the game went FTP...at least to the extent of letting you try out things like monk classes etc and decide if you like them...then yes, I might try it again, and that might cause me to come back.

But I doubt that they would let you try the monk class without purchasing it...so I still probably wouldn't give it a shot.

wulfy42:
Snip

Some interesting news for you, the Monk class is free to try out on a trial account, and it is actually hella fun.
:P

I can't main one because I am the only raiding paladin left in my guild and they need it but Monks play hella smooth in all specs. I am jealous of those who get to main as a Monk.

Charli:

wulfy42:
Snip

Some interesting news for you, the Monk class is free to try out on a trial account, and it is actually hella fun.

I can't main one because I am the only raiding paladin left in my guild and they need it but Monks play hella smooth in all specs. I am jealous of those who get to main as a Monk.

Oh cool!! I guess I will give it a try then:)

Thanks!!

freaper:
Their only salvation: introduce a cat-race and add hats.

Well, they already added the hats XD.

I'm an active WoW player and I can tell you the game is the best its ever been (I began playing in BC). The truth is that this situation in which Blizzard finds itself is unexplored territory. Tell me, how many games have maintained an audience of, to go with the latest lowest number, 7 million users? Over a period of 7 years?

Ask yourself this. How many games from the PS2 era are still being actively played every single day by millions of players all over the world? The feat achieved by Blizzard with WoW can possibly be a one of a kind.

wulfy42:

Charli:

wulfy42:
Snip

Oh cool!! I guess I will give it a try then:)

Thanks!!

Anytime, hey if you're EU lemme know, can earn bonus goodies for being a good little WoW-fanboy
:|

Urgh, I am a tool.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook