The Elder Scrolls Online Will Have Microtransactions Too

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Elder Scrolls Online Will Have Microtransactions Too

The Elder Scrolls Online 03

The Elder Scrolls Online will supplement its monthly subscription fees with microtransactions for "fun stuff and services."

Bethesda announced a couple days ago that The Elder Scrolls Online, in defiance of conventional wisdom, will require a monthly subscription fee when it launches. But in an interview with German site ESOHub, director Matt Firor said it will offer microtransactions as well - but only for non-essential stuff.

"We'll have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff, and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game," he said. "Anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

Firor repeated his earlier explanation for opting for a subscription model over free-to-play, saying that internal monetization would disrupt the experience of being in The Elder Scrolls "sandbox," something Bethesda is determined to avoid.

"It's an Elder Scrolls game. It feels like an Elder Scrolls game - minimal interface, mouse and keyboard are just like they were in Oblivion and Skyrim," he said. "That's what the whole purpose is, you want to be the next Elder Scrolls game."

The article is in German but the interview itself is conducted in English, so you don't have to worry about wonky Google translations. The Elder Scrolls Online is slated to come out in the first quarter of 2014 for the PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Source: Buffed.de

(This post originally cited an incorrect source. We've updated to the correct attribution and apologize for the error.)

Wait, didn't they say the subscription would give the player the full experience? Seems a bit silly to add microtransactions no?

Not that I'm really interested anymore, the small amount of interest I had when I found out you'd need to pay a subscription to play.

I'm perfectly happy to keep playing Skyrim and Oblivion. This remix/money grab is of no interest to me.

The legacy of Horse Armour DLC lives on.

SSJBlastoise:
Wait, did they say the subscription would give the player the full experience? Seems a bit silly to add microtransactions no?

Not that I'm really interested anymore, the small amount of interest I had when I found out you'd need to pay a subscription to play.

Agreed.
Guild Wars 2 has proven that it's perfectly possible to have a MMO supported only by people buying "the fun stuff", with the entire core game being available subscription free. This seems like a blatant cash grab; I had no interest in this game beforehand, and I really don't now.

I'm also guessing they're going to charge to buy the game too? Because all the other subscription games did that as well. But hey, it worked out great for them ... right?

Hahahahahahhahahahaha!

Oh wow.

Way to try to have your cake and eat it too you shitheads.

And let's not even get started on the "it feels like an Elder Scrolls game" shit, when they've fucked the lore into unrecognizability, removed everything fantastical or interesting about the setting, and turned it into even more of a generic boring Tolkien-esque fantasy world than Skyrim did.

Fuck you Zenimax

Fuck you.

Andy Chalk:
The Elder Scrolls Online will Have Microtransactions Too

[...]

monetization would disrupt the experience

[...]

A quick game of spot the BS...
I know many subscription based MMOs still sale services like character rename or cre-ustomization etc.
But still saying "no monetization due to subs!" and then adding micro transaction reeks of BS.
I can see that and I'm in favour of P2P over F2P.

Why are they trying to dig themselves into such a massive hole? I can't see many people being suckered into this.

My estimate is 2 weeks to a month until the monthly sub is scrapped because the playerbase is so low.

Seriously? Yeah, I'm just going to walk away now. Maybe I'll look at ESO again once they've released and actually decided on a business model.

So next we will find out that TESO will also have a free-to-play mode too, just so this game has every kind of payment plan available at the same time to make it sounds extra stupid. Oh and the first expansion will cost a tenner for everyone, except people playing on Facebook who get it for free. There will be a Facebook version by the way, because this is a true Elder Scrolls experience after all. And it will be launching on iOS first.

Welcome to The Elder Scrolls experience guys! :D

For realsies though, as long as this is just for things like renaming your character I don't have a problem with it. But I suspect it will creep in to things like EXP boosts, items and mounts and get a bit out of hand as they increasingly need microtransactions to prop up the lack of funds because no one wants to pay the subscription.

So, that whole speech the other day about how subs will make TESO a better experience and to avoid monetization was what, a lie, or are the corporate overlords in need of another bonus this year, and this is the only way they'll be able to afford it?
Hypocrisy, thy name is Zenimax/Bethesda.

"We don't want to have internal monetization ruining people's experience. And on that note, there are going to be microtransactions." Anyone else getting the feeling that this Firor guy is actually Don Mattrick's alter-ego? Or maybe even Casey Hudson's.

So yeah, I'll just be waiting for the next REAL Elder Scrolls game. I've said it once and I'll say it again: TES is a dish best served single-player. With each new bit of news about this game that comes out, it seems more and more likely that this game will be doomed to utter failure and become a horrible stain on what has otherwise been a stellar franchise.

It's a brave new world. Even World of Warcraft features microtransactions on top of their base subscription model, and they have millions of subscribers. Even after losing millions of subs, they have millions more than the second biggest mmo and they are resorting to this.

I guess we'll just have to get used to it or play a different genre.

Luckily the interest I had in ES:O was infinitesimal to begin with. The subscription model already turned me off, this is just overkill. Good luck with that. Can't wait to see the whole thing tank. Very seldom do I get to see a train wreck as it's happening.

I was ok with them doing a subscription model and I was still super hyped about this game. This announcement has me pretty disillusioned though. I don't think any game can justify cramming in all three payment models (Buy to play, pay to play, and microtransactions) into itself at once unless it was given as an option of some kind (ie. if you pay the subscription you can have access to everything behind the microtransactions or you can buy to play and pick and choose what you want to access)

While this isn't a complete no deal scenario for me, I am very disappointed in this announcement and I will have to wait and see more about what they say about the cash shop before I decide to give them my money. If the shop is purely for items like special party gimmick items or special emotes or name changes or random stuff like that which will not affect the world or the game play at all then I could probably live with that as it would not affect my experience with the game. If there is custom armor or weapons (even if they are just for fun and dont give any stats) then it'll be harder for me to justify buying into the game and I'll have to think hard about it before I get it. If there's anything that gives you experience boosts or easier access in any way to better items, stats, or experience, then I'm out completely and they won't get a cent from me.

Good job Zenimax, this announcement took me from almost guaranteed early adopter to skeptical wait and see and possibly avoid altogether status. And I've been excited for this game since it was announced...

So instead of Subscription or Free To Play it's Buy to Subscribe for Fees?

Lovely, not that I was budgeting 140-ish out to play this game for a year to begin with, but now my wallet is actively dodging my hand until I close anything mentioning Elder Scrolls Online, weird that.

well thats my interest in it killed, gg Bethesda, gg.

It wouldn't be so bad if it did anything amazingly revolutionary. It seems like a bastard child of WoW and GW2 without the cohesiveness of either, combined with a first person mode. Sure, it may end up slightly better than GW2 (which i think is miles better than WoW anyway in terms of enjoyment for a myriad of reasons) when it all comes together, but it's not going to be 120 a year better.

That's the issue with subs. No MMO coming out today can say they're worth a sub compared to GW2 with the rate of updates that game gets (even if you're obsessed with end game grinding/raiding so GW2 isn't your thing, you can't argue that relatively substantial fortnightly updates are damn good, ToR hardly had the same amount of content every 6 months than GW2 gets in 2 weeks). The only reason anyone can hope to get away with it is because GW2 hasn't been marketed to hell and back so not everyone knows about it, or knows it by name only.

This just makes me wonder how long it'll take for them to switch to a good, working system. You know, like GW2 has. I can see something similar to what happened with Bioware's MMO happening with this one.

Whatever the intention or implementation behind this decision (which could, with the right spin on information be perfectly reasonable), adding micro-transactions on top of monthly subs on top of buying the game in the first place is surely going to by the majority as a dick move. So why do it?

bringer of illumination:
Hahahahahahhahahahaha!

Oh wow.

And let's not even get started on the "it feels like an Elder Scrolls game" shit, when they've fucked the lore into unrecognizability, removed everything fantastical or interesting about the setting, and turned it into even more of a generic boring Tolkien-esque fantasy world than Skyrim did.

Fuck you Zenimax

Fuck you.

You realize everything about The Elder Scrolls is "generic, boring, Tolkien-esque" fantasy, right? Ever since the first one. Tolkien ripped off Norse lore and added some Christian elements, and then everyone since has ripped off of that. The Elder Scrolls is nothing but an ode to Tolkien.

I set the over/under for going totally Free to Play w/ micros at 9 months. Who wants to bet some internet money?

I guess I should thank them for announcing it this soon,

I'd have hated to have wasted more time looking even the tiniest bit forward to this...

rembrandtqeinstein:
I set the over/under for going totally Free to Play w/ micros at 9 months. Who wants to bet some internet money?

I bet it does quite well for itself because exclusively console players don't necessarily know any better, or it may even be their first MMO so will seem amazeballs.

Depressing, but true. This game is being milked for everything it has because the unaware will buy it. It very obviously isn't going to get anywhere on PC, it has competition that is easily going to be a minimum of on par that doesn't require a sub.

It is literally the only reason i can think of for this. They're not planning on competing with the PC MMO market, that is simply too much of a challenge for their game. Instead they just want to be the first 'next gen' MMO on the xbone/ps4 and try to make money from being unopposed.

What we need is Arenanet to release Guild wars 2 on next gen consoles (they'd need separate servers from PC because of the update frequency, but ah well, considering most of the servers are still high-full populations a year after launch, more servers makes sense anyway)), just to smash this cash grab into the ground.

OK, so I know I said it would take about five months before this went f2p.

I think now it's going to be about five weeks.

I was in the trenches back in 2009 when the argument began with gw2 and other upcoming sub fee MMOs. I would argue with my friends and try to explain to them that the sub fee is dying and only WoW and EVE can get away with it. They refused to believe me and thought SW:TOR was the second comming of MMO's. I tried to save them....I failed... They all bought the game and played it for a month or two and never played it again. Then all the sub fee MMO's went free to play and I felt very vindicated.

And here we are again. I thought this was already behind all of us. GW2 is not a perfect game but it did shake up the MMO industry by showing that Buy to play CAN BE DONE and is profitable. Basically, what I am trying to say, is that I am completely baffled why any publisher would consider making a sub fee MMO in today's market. The economy is down and free to play games, such as LoL, are extremely popular, while buy to play games, such as GW2, continue to be successful. I just do not understand.

"We'll have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff, and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game," he said. "Anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

Now, that's normal and no problem at all for me. I just hope that you cannot buy skins for your armour. One key thing about the Elder Scrolls experience is the armour's design and that you can recognise different kinds of armour (chitin, etc.). I don't want people walking around with black angel wings or flaming boots (unless they are like that vanilla).

Name changes, maybe new character slots, etc., however? No problem.

A problem, however, is still the monthly subscription fee. Since I can hardly play at all these days, I don't want to shell out money for it on a regular basis.

I hereby propose a prepaid method of online gaming. Every hour of playing the online game (thus using their servers) costs a few cents. You can load up for a certain amount of money and then play until it's all used up. (Upgrades should be free or of a significantly lower price, however.) This is a perfect model for people like me who can play excessively for one month and then not at all for several months (due to being preoccupied by university).

Please, make it happen.

EDIT: Actually, give me a few weeks and I will think about my proposed model some more. I might write an article for The Escapist about it. I'm sure there are games which did exactly that. It'll be interesting to look at how they made.

Funny, I remember another game that had pay for original game, pay subscription and micro-transactions. It was called The Secret World, enough said really.

Uh, do they mean just name changes and server transfers? Or what?

Bloodstain:

Now, that's normal and no problem at all for me. I just hope that you cannot buy skins for your armour. One key thing about the Elder Scrolls experience is the armour's design and that you can recognise different kinds of armour (chitin, etc.). I don't want people walking around with black angel wings or flaming boots (unless they are like that vanilla).

Name changes, maybe new character slots, etc., however? No problem.

A problem, however, is still the monthly subscription fee. Since I can hardly play at all these days, I don't want to shell out money for it on a regular basis.

I hereby propose a prepaid method of online gaming. Every hour of playing the online game (thus using their servers) costs a few cents. You can load up for a certain amount of money and then play until it's all used up. (Upgrades should be free or of a significantly lower price, however.) This is a perfect model for people like me who can play excessively for one month and then not at all for several months (due to being preoccupied by university).

Please, make it happen.

I propose a way to play which involves an up front fee, that once you'd paid, you can just play the game when you feel like it. I'm fairly sure there are examples of this model though. But the way that ESO is being sold you would have thought such a company would go bankrupt with such a pie in the sky model!

rasputin0009:

bringer of illumination:
Hahahahahahhahahahaha!

Oh wow.

Fuck you Zenimax

Fuck you.

You realize everything about The Elder Scrolls is "generic, boring, Tolkien-esque" fantasy, right? Ever since the first one. Tolkien ripped off Norse lore and added some Christian elements, and then everyone since has ripped off of that. The Elder Scrolls is nothing but an ode to Tolkien.

Of course all modern fantasy has Tolkien-esque elements, Tolkien INVENTED modern fantasy.

But The Elder Scrolls had a lot of unique story elements, like the varied and bizarre world, the idea of competing theologies where both sides are right and so on.

And it was also always a very dark universe, with one kind of Elves being basically nazis, another being cannibalistic psychopaths, and the third being demon worshiping slavers and snobs ruled by a trio of phony gods that stole their Godhood and almost inadvertently caused the destruction of the world out of sheer hubris, drug use being a very prominent part of the setting especially with some drugs being essential to the culture of some of the races.

ESO makes a concerted effort to remove all of this to make it as recognizable and palatable as possible to the average mouth-breather that doesn't give a shit about the lore.

Look at this picture

Does that statement sound like it would come from a person that has even an OUNCE of respect for the legacy of this series?

Wait subscription... with Microtransactions?

Well that's dead. Look Publishers, you can have Free to Play with Microtransactions and you can have a Subscription based game free of micro transactions. You can't have it both ways, that's just greedy and will get you nothing.

No one is going to pay a monthly fee for the honour of being nagged or frustrated into making further payments.

seydaman:

I think its mostly that, but fun stuff might include vanity items as opposed to game changing items.

If the knee Jerk brigade would stop twitching for two seconds they'd realise that WOW have already done this for years

Not that I have an inside line on any of this but there's a difference between monetizing content and monetizing extras. Everything that's in the game - regions, dungeons, races, classes, equipment, whatever - is included in the monthly subscription fee. The microtransactions (I'm guessing) are for external things, like changing your name, getting a funky hat, whatever. I don't have a problem with that. The moment they cross the line into paying for content or progression - Mehrunes' Razor for $2.99! - then, yeah, I'll be in the complaints line along with everyone else. But the impression I get at this point is that they're just trying to cover all the bases and give people the option to do things outside of the game that other MMOs don't always allow, without compromising the actual in-game experience.

chiefohara:

seydaman:

I think its mostly that, but fun stuff might include vanity items as opposed to game changing items.

If the knee Jerk brigade would stop twitching for two seconds they'd realise that WOW have already done this for years

And it's not excusable in their case either m8

If you're paying 15 fucking dollars every month for a game, then you should not have to pay to do something that costs blizzard literally nothing

Especially not when it's something like Server transfers that can be absolutely essential to your enjoyment of the game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here