Metro Will "Absolutely Continue," Deep Silver Says

Pages PREV 1 2

N-No... No no no. Stop. Broader audience can go F itself, and Metro doesn't necessarily need continuing. Last Light ended it on a pretty nice note. Can it continue? Yeah, sure, there's still some things they can pick up on and possibly make a good sequel, but whenever this "Broader Audience" BS comes up, it always ends on a bad note. I'll be very cautious on picking up the next Metro, and I'll be absolutely sad if they mess up the series, it's one of my favourite franchises ever. God dammit Deep Silver.

Every time I see "broaden game audience" expression it always makes me cringe.

Deep Silver, pretty please leave this franchise as it is and don't mainstream it for the masses. It will ruin it completely. Let the Metro franchise be the special snowflake that it is.

The 'broader' audience want's niche titles.
Until publishers realize this, they will continue to fail.

What I don't understand is that they have to be seeing some kind of trend by now that when they try to expand a game, the game gets worse. Logically, this means that they should be trying to make a bunch of games targeted to specific areas but they don't.

Someone please just get a kickstarter thing going and run a company with common sense. I would if I was more experienced but I'm not.

CLARIFICATION STATEMENT BY DEEP SILVER:

Eurogamer:
"Metro: Last Light publisher Deep Silver has clarified its comment last week that it would like to make the Russian post-apocalyptic series "more accessible."

Deep Silver's global brand manager Huw Beynon has issued a statement saying that this doesn't mean the game will be easier or the subject matter toned down. "We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA," explained Beynon. "We completely understand that it is the passion and evangelism of our fans that allowed Metro to grow from a cult hit to genuine, bonafide hit."

"Whatever direction a new Metro game takes (and we are still assembling the drawing boards), it will build on the bleak, post apocalyptic pillars of atmosphere, immersion, challenge and depth that sets this franchise apart from the crowd."

Beynon further added that by "more accessible," he means the publisher simply wants to put it on more platforms, market it more, and ultimately deliver a higher caliber product. "Deep Silver will seek to make the world of Metro more accessible to a broader audience - through a commitment to ever higher product quality; through greater strategic investment in the brand; and, in the immediate term, through the release of dedicated Mac and Linux versions of Metro: Last Light."

On that note, Deep Silver just announced that the Mac version of Metro: Last Light will be out on 10th September on the Mac App Store and Steam. A Linux version is said to follow and both ports will receive all the game's DLC and are being handled in-house by Last Light developer 4A Games.

"This is just the first stage of a broader initiative to bring Metro to a wider audience, without compromising the product's strengths," explained Beynon. "Metro is a pulsating, radioactive gem in Deep Silver's crown of rotting zombie flesh, and we believe we can build on the success of Metro: Last Light by doubling down on our unique brand of bleak, Russian, post apocalyptic horror."

I'd like to comment on a few of the statements:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033), I will certainly buy Metro:LL when the Linux port is out, if only to play it with prettier graphics.
2) No dumbing down, probably more funding for 4A: this is actually great news. Plus: they seem to be sticking to PC, just like before (Deep Silver is more of a PC-first publisher, even if that sounds hard to believe. You'd understand why if you knew just how unpopular consoles are over in Germany - nothing except Nintendo does as well as it does in the US).
3) New Metro games will probably not be tying into Artyom's storyline. This, to me at least, is somewhat important. I tend to find that a sequel that just wants to flesh the universe out, and provide the player with a new story all of its own is done much better than a sequel along the veins of a Mass Effect, or The Witcher (both of these games are great, but they constrain the writer a lot more by having the previous games set so much up about the personalities of the characters and the lands in which the game is taking place, while also constraining the game designers somewhat by requiring the games to have at least similar mechanics.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here