Mirror's Edge 2 Coming Late Due To DICE Concerns, Not EA

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mirror's Edge 2 Coming Late Due To DICE Concerns, Not EA

Mirror's Edge 2 has been a long time coming, but don't blame EA - the developers just wanted to be sure they could do it right.

The original Mirror's Edge was released in 2008, and its cult following has been begging for a sequel ever since. They'll be getting their wish with the Mirror's Edge prequel/reboot currently in development at DICE, but many have been wondering why we've had to wait half a decade for a follow-up to the first-person free-runner. The most common theory is that EA has been apathetic towards the unconventional IP, but DICE wants everyone to know that EA isn't the bad guy here. The developers simply have been waiting for a follow-up idea that wouldn't let fans down.

"It's not about EA blocking DICE," says Patrick Bach, executive producer at DICE. He explains that DICE went through several iterations of a potential Mirror's Edge 2, but didn't believe that any of them could succeed like the original game did. Only when the developers had a worthwhile pitch, five years later, did they talk to EA about a follow-up game. "Usually when we like it, everyone else likes it," Bach says. "So I think we are the bad cop in most cases when it comes to scrutinizing ideas and IPs and features, or whatever it might be."

In the current atmosphere of yearly releases and milked-to-death franchises, it's probably for the best that we aren't on Mirror's Edge 5: Parkour Panic by now. As it stands, DICE has yet to announce a release date for the new Mirror's Edge.

Source: Video Gamer

The fact that they could release a game late under EA shows plenty of improvement on EA's part, and is a good sign really, cause it simply shows that they'll be given enough time make something good.

I'm happy they're taking their time on this. I want a very polished and very well made game. I hope they take their time (within reason, I don't want a DNF over here) and deliver a fantastic product :D

klaynexas3:
The fact that they could release a game late under EA shows plenty of improvement on EA's part, and is a good sign really, cause it simply shows that they'll be given enough time make something good.

Also this. Good to see EA is learning from their mistakes and giving some studios polish time.

Just give me two things guys: A PC release, and Oculus Rift support.

Give me those two things, and I will throw as much money at this game as I possibly can. And, I'll try to convince as many people as I can to throw a bunch of money at it as well.

The PC release is a must though. I need to see this game in full 1440p glory.

I'm just glad it's actually (and finally) happening, instead of getting lost in the kind of limbo Valve threw Ep3/HL3 into.

Chatboy 91:

Give me those two things, and I will throw as much money at this game as I possibly can. And, I'll try to convince as many people as I can to throw a bunch of money at it as well.

That's already been announced... since day one actually, so I don't know what you're worried about.

The PC release, that is. Dunno about Oculus...

Wasn't one of the complaints about the first one that parkour/platforming from a first person view was a massive pain? And that the combat felt out of place?

I completely understand that they took forever to get a design document together. As much as I liked the original, there were major flaws and imperfections that needed to be addressed, or it'd be the same mess.

Chatboy 91:

Don't forget about omni too: http://www.virtuix.com/

Is it me or is EA starting to turn over a new leaf?

They're behaving... rationally all of a sudden.

Abomination:

Maybe it's related to them getting rid of John Riccitello?

Or they're just trying to regain some good faith, so they can then proceed to waste it on bad decisions again.

Abomination:

They behaved rationally for a short while before and after the release of Mirror's Edge... Maybe ME releases have a soporific effect on their marketing department that puts all the people responsible for the Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2 marketing campaigns to sleep?

Well, thank god it was for the right reasons then. I loved Mirror's Edge despite the supposed platforming concerns. Any game that is delayed to perfect itself gets my support. If only more games were made in this mindset.

And good on EA for not rushing it too. There, I said something good about something I hate. That's my good deed for the day.

Um, is everybody forgetting that the reason ME2 is delayed is because DICE is doing it? You know, the same DICE that EA is making crank out all that expensive and lengthy Battlefield content? I very much doubt that the 5-year wait is the result of extensive prototypes and development, but probably the result of 2-3 years development and a huge injection of labor into DICE. Their PR department really needs to work on their excuses.

Great to hear this late arrival was a decision made by DICE rather than EA.

Abomination:

I've noticed this too, EA is doing everything it can to clean up its image.
I'm still skeptical about everything they're involved with though.

If it's a good game no-one will care about how much it's been delayed. They'll be too happy playing it.

Despite what others say, I absolutely loved every aspect of Mirror's Edge's gameplay. The parcour was great, the combat was fluid and fit the game perfectly, and the city looked beautiful. I am very much looking forward to this sequel, especially now that I know they're going to do it right.

Mr.Tea:
I'm just glad it's actually (and finally) happening, instead of getting lost in the kind of limbo Valve threw Ep3/HL3 into.

Chatboy 91:

That's already been announced... since day one actually, so I don't know what you're worried about.

The PC release, that is. Dunno about Oculus...

I would't worry about it. If they don't release it with Oculus support, the community will mod it in a nanosecond after its release.

Yuuki:
Wasn't one of the complaints about the first one that parkour/platforming from a first person view was a massive pain? And that the combat felt out of place?

I dunno who says that the first person view parkour was a pain. Everyone I know, including myself, that has played the game says that it was actually really well done. You pretty much always have a good idea of where your body is in relation to the environment.

The combat though... well, I'm probably not the best person to talk to about that. I didn't even realise you could pick up weapons until the last mission. Went more or less the entire game avoiding fights. The hand-to-hand fighting tended to feel pretty good though, particularly in the way it encouraged you to use your environment and free-running to deliver the best blows.

Well, since this is coming from EA, who have had no qualms about releasing yearly iterations of profitable series (I remember that ME wasn't altogether well-received) I'm taking this with a shaker of salt. I am glad they gave the greenlight and are letting the devs take their time though.

Azahul:

Yuuki:

I dunno who says that the first person view parkour was a pain. Everyone I know, including myself, that has played the game says that it was actually really well done. You pretty much always have a good idea of where your body is in relation to the environment.

The combat though... well, I'm probably not the best person to talk to about that. I didn't even realise you could pick up weapons until the last mission. Went more or less the entire game avoiding fights. The hand-to-hand fighting tended to feel pretty good though, particularly in the way it encouraged you to use your environment and free-running to deliver the best blows.

I think alot of people forget that half of the combat (the weapon part) was clunky on purpose. You were, after all, playing as a character who didn't have armor or extensive weapons training. The whole point was to run away (until the last few missions; before that you could avoid ~70% of the fights if you knew the route and were fast enough). And now that it's open-world, the combat/fleeing possibilities have really opened up (they better not force fights unless the plot absolutely demands it). That said, the combat was the only part that made me want to replay the game: I don't own many games that let you slide down a subway escalator, jump off to close the distance, roll to keep momentum, then punch a dumb mall-cop in the groin.

Chatboy 91:
and Oculus Rift support.

Now think about this for a minute. Are you sure you want to jump, flip, rotate, and climb a primarily white setting in first person with absolutely zero vision outside of the game? I'm just saying, Mirror's Edge should have a special edition that ships with an EA-themed bucket or two, because I'll need all the puke containers I can find in order to play this.

that said, I fucking hope they support it

EDIT: oh and I think we should drive a parallel here. EA's big titles? Not so bad. EA mobile? Straight-up cancer. For every good action and PR move they've been doing lately, something equally awful happens to one of their mobile studios.

My brain is full of fuck. What is up with EA lately? This is the 3rd time in the past few days that they've made good decisions. Wow. Do I smell a change in the wind? Maybe..

Anyway, that's fine, I don't care if it's delayed, as long as the released product is good enough. Too many rushed games coming out, due to the pressure added on by developers. It's terrible.

sid:

Chatboy 91:
and Oculus Rift support.

Now think about this for a minute. Are you sure you want to jump, flip, rotate, and climb a primarily white setting in first person with absolutely zero vision outside of the game?

Oh I've thought about it, and YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DO! Motion sickness? That's the least of my concerns. Just think about looking over a ledge when you're on top of a building and getting massive amounts of vertigo from the crazy height. Assuming you're afraid of heig- er, falling like I am. I can only imagine what it's going to be like the first time I miss a jump and go hurtling towards the ground and hear my legs snap... But I won't care, because it will all look so fucking amazing.

Azahul:

Yuuki:

There was me for a start.

I hate the first person view in games because it lacks spacial awareness, peripheral vision and depth perception.

That is exactly what spoilt Mirrors Edge for me. It felt like I was controlling a cycloptic robot rather than a lithe free runner.

Of course it didn't help that the game was visually rather dull. The first time I played the game I thought something was wrong with my 360 and the textures just weren't loading.

Also for a free running game there was remarkably little of it. You were funnelled down set routes.

Most of the time I can see why people like a game I don't but this is one of those that I just simply don't understand.

ME is one of my favourite games. IIRC, most of the criticisms of the game centered around the combat, and the way the game constantly harried you along. Personally, I found very little in it to criticise, but I'm a fan of the first person-perspective in games and I played it on pc with k+m, and the environments looked stunning. I'd certainly like to see a more open-world approach to the sequel, but for my money it has to retain its first-person focus and its lead character.

Wait wait wait...

Mirror's Edge has a cult following?! I'm not trying to be snarky or start an online argument. I am genuinely surprised. Everyone I know - including myself - sold back their copy of this game with a few weeks of getting it. None of us like it at all. I always thought Mirror's Edge was one of those overly-hyped games that completely bombed and no one really talks about it.
Am I missing something? I was under the impression this was the sequel no one asked for to a game no one liked.

klaynexas3:

Well, DICE is EA's big name to show off so they get a little leeway. No other company under them would even get the chance.

Silentpony:
Am I missing something?

Yes.

It wasnt a universal success, but it also wasnt the sort of game that got mediocre reactions. There werent many people who just thought "eh, its ok I guess" - people loved it or hated it. Cult following is a good description, just like movies with cult followings that a lot of people dislike but the target audience really loves.

On the OP... Hmmm. Good to hear that DICE wanted to do it justice. On the other hand, Im a bit concerned that they went through multiple iterations to find the perfect pitch and the end result turns out to be "reboot/prequel!" (Preboot?)

EA slowly scares me. discount on origin, giving tiume now and they dint force DICE to bring out mirror 2?? am i still in the right universe???

thats actually good news. sure, i want the game badly since i love the first one, but its good to hear they will take their time to make it right. and also a very good pc port.

It's usually the case that when a game is great, people congratulate the developer; when a game sucks people blame the publisher. At a guess I'd say that both dragged their heels over this, after all it wasn't a massive commercial success to begin with. I'm guessing that while some of the developers wanted to do a sequel it was probably safer for them to concentrate on the Battlefield stuff and see if the cult following grew or died down.

Mirror's Edge was one of those games that when it clicked it felt amazing jumping rolling and swinging across buildings, but it could also be frustrating making some of the jumps with out being able to see your feel. It's one of the games that over the years really could benefit from a sequel to iron out all the kinks in the design and make it great. Also it doesn't need to have fanastic graphics or development costs to be good.

Like most people I'm hoping they don't add lots of shooting to the new one, though I think adding stealth mechanics to sneak past guards would fit well.

Yuuki:

Yeah the first one was pretty bad, mostly because of that concept and the awful combat. It's only redeeming qualities is that when you actually can jump around and do all the moves rather than being unable to jump up a wall that 2 foot high it's actually pretty enjoyable. Just a shame that it's not enjoyable enough to justify what's wrong with the game (which is everything else).

Phew, when I saw this headline, I thought I was going to read about ME2 being delayed - that would be a lot to handle.

This may be a prequel, but is it really possible to have the second game in a series be a "reboot"? As surely that would indicate some kind of thematic change/refreshing of the storyline.

*visions of Faith covered in mud and blood, running through some grotty favela, Tomb Raider style*

Yuuki:

The platforming was the reason why the fans loved it and I personally enjoyed the combat and platforming because of it's difficulty.

But yeah, the game looks awesome. I just hope they make it longer this time.

Well, good. No rush, just as long as it comes out, eventually.
God i loved Mirror's Edge so much, and I am damn happy that there's another one coming.

Yuuki:

The first one was a complaint from people who didn't like the game. Unsurprisingly, people who liked the game held a somewhat different opinion. The second complaint was pretty widespread though.

It's funny how EVERY bad decision is never made by EA. Seriously, guys, this excuse getting old already.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here