Deep Silver Clarifies "More Accessible" Metro Comment

Deep Silver Clarifies "More Accessible" Metro Comment

Metro: Last Light screen

Deep Silver says it has no intention of compromising the Metro franchise, it just wants to make future games in the series even bigger and better.

Compared to Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light is a hand-holding tiptoe through the tulips on a warm spring afternoon, but it's still pretty far from mainstream run-and-gun giggles. The world of Metro remains grim, dirty and vicious, without a hint of winking irony in sight, and the only way to escape the claustrophobic confines of the Moscow Metro is to go to the surface, which will kill you just for trying to breathe. Good times, right?

It actually is, in the eyes of an awful lot of fans, and so when Deep Silver Head Dude Dr. Klemens Kundratitz said last week that the publisher wants to make it "more accessible for a broader gamer audience," there was not exactly widespread rejoicing. Recognizing this fact, Deep Silver Global Brand Manager Huw Beynon has now put out a statement of his own, reassuring gamers that the publisher has no intention of "dumbing down the game in a bid to woo a wider, more 'casual' audience."

"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA. We completely understand that it is the passion and evangelism of our fans that allowed Metro to grow from a cult hit to genuine, bonafide hit," Beynon wrote. "Whatever direction a new Metro game takes (and we are still assembling the drawing boards), it will build on the bleak, post apocalyptic pillars of atmosphere, immersion, challenge and depth that sets this franchise apart from the crowd."

When Kundratitz talked about making the game more accessible, Beynon explained, he was referring to releasing it on a wider range of platforms, making a greater "strategic investment" in the Metro brand and ensuring that future games measure up to their predecessors.

"This is just the first stage of a broader initiative to bring Metro to a wider audience, without compromising the product's strengths," he wrote. "Metro is a pulsating, radioactive gem in Deep Silver's crown of rotting zombie flesh, and we believe we can build on the success of Metro: Last Light by doubling down on our unique brand of bleak, Russian, post apocalyptic horror."

Of course, he would say that - he's the brand manager, after all, and this is his fire to put out - but I suspect there's a legitimate disconnect between what Dr. Kundratitz said and what he actually meant. Whether or not Deep Silver will actually follow through on Beynon's promise is a matter for some future debate, but this wouldn't be the first time that a CEO of a major publisher drove gamers nuts with what he intended to be good news, and I bet it won't be the last, either.

Source: Enter the Metro

I still got my eyes on you Deep Silver and now I have a name to write down on my hitlist if the series goes tits up!

Deep Silver all I can say is You Better Not Be Lying!
Otherwise, I need to know, do you have any intent of working your way towards the STALKER series?
We both know that's a loaded question.

It'd be stupid of them to make any serious changes. This isn't like Call of Duty or Final Fantasy, brands which have been around for so long and are so established that they can do pretty much anything and people will still buy it just for the name on the box. Metro is still a recent success, and if they don't follow it up properly, it'll ruin their credibility and hinder sales of future installments. Unless this next installment is the last, changing what made it good in the first place would just be incredibly stupid and unnecessarily risky.

P.S. Thanks

Wow that is a load off, I almost had a heart attack when I read that line, but at least they saying they won't mess with it. I really hope they keep to this.

Every time studios talk about "broadening the audience" if they only gave one solid example (just one!) on how they would do it there would be so much less drama about it. The reason why people hate these statements is that they are so ridiculously vague, leaving us to fill in the gaps with every worst case scenario imaginable.

If I heard "I'm going to take your baby from you, do something mysterious to it, but I won't tell you what and not give it back to you in 3 years" I'd be pretty angry too!

Andy Chalk:

"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA.

*sigh*... I've been on the internet too long, the word "fanbase" always looks like it should either be said sarcastically or is in some other way negative. I miss the days where a fan was merely a person who enjoyed a particular [noun].

Now I want to know what Deep Silver think Metro's strength is. What they think the "DNA" is.

I'd like to comment on a few of the statements:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033), I will certainly buy Metro:LL when the Linux port is out, if only to play it with prettier graphics.
2) No dumbing down, probably more funding for 4A: this is actually great news. Plus: they seem to be sticking to PC, just like before (Deep Silver is more of a PC-first publisher, even if that sounds hard to believe. You'd understand why if you knew just how unpopular consoles are over in Germany - nothing except Nintendo does as well as it does in the US).
3) New Metro games will probably not be tying into Artyom's storyline. This, to me at least, is somewhat important. I tend to find that a sequel that just wants to flesh the universe out, and provide the player with a new story all of its own is done much better than a sequel along the veins of a Mass Effect, or The Witcher (both of these games are great, but they constrain the writer a lot more by having the previous games set so much up about the personalities of the characters and the lands in which the game is taking place, while also constraining the game designers somewhat by requiring the games to have at least similar mechanics.

Goliath100:
Now I want to know what Deep Silver think Metro's strength is. What they think the "DNA" is.

The atmosphere, the aesthetics, the whole design of the game. The fact that you need to do everything yourself, from charging your flashlight to choosing what bullets to load your gun with.

The single thing I'd actually like them to copy from somewhere else is the gunplay. And I mean just make it feel like it felt in Bad Company 2. Every shot feels like a shot, and not as if you used some kind of peashooter. Admittedly, it isn't that bad, but that is an aspect that, I feel, should be impoved.

Ok, this is actually pretty comforting. If nothing else it shows that they're listening to fan feedback.

Covarr:
It'd be stupid of them to make any serious changes.

It would very much be stupid of them. It also wouldn't be a surprise if they went right ahead and made that mistake.

More Accessible=dumbed down for the frat boys to act like 13 year olds in mulitplayer....

Simple solution: if they're going to put in a super-easy casual mode to make it more CoD, force a HUD element that's a kindly looking older gentleman. He will be mostly static, but at times with shake his head with disappointment.

Matthi205:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033),

1) You don`t know your facts* and you think wrong**... try again.

1a) Last Light native port for OS X will be released September 10, next month.

*based on real-world data
**falsified by real-world data

This guy's words would be less damning if they, at any point in time, actually demonstrated what "Metro's unique DNA" actually comprised. They have shown no such knowledge as of yet. Until I see the proof otherwise, I'll assume they are what all big publishers are: fucktarded.

-Dragmire-:

Andy Chalk:

"We understand the concern, and we would like to reassure the Metro fanbase that Deep Silver has absolutely no intention of compromising Metro's unique DNA.

*sigh*... I've been on the internet too long, the word "fanbase" always looks like it should either be said sarcastically or is in some other way negative. I miss the days where a fan was merely a person who enjoyed a particular [noun].

If just the Publishers let the fans enjoy their franchises!

If they just LET them, instead of turning a working product upside down, shoving it down the buyers throats while asking for a bag of money and then have the nerve to put the blame on the buyer, if it did not work out as they fantasized about it.

Playing sheep is no longer an option these days, for the good or the bad.

Random game company "We are going to take something you like and help more people like it."

Random gamer "No, it's mine and I don't want other people to like it."

Random game company "We are going to take something you like and help more people like it."

Well, their response to their earlier worrisome statement was fast. Glad to hear that they are keeping their fingers on the pulse of the market. I've had good experience with Deep Silver so far, especially with the way they didn't dumb down X3 Terran Conflict despite it's crazy complexity which I loved so I'll give it to them. They haven't done anything to betray my trust yet so I'll believe them but they better be serious about this. Metro is too precious an asset to be sacrificed for dumb players' appeasement.

Devon Dent:

Considering nearly every other Random Game Companies attempt at this resulted in a crappier end product which in turn damages the series in question...

BloodRed Pixel:

Matthi205:
1) Mac and Linux port. While I don't think that a Mac port of Metro is sensible (most Macs will simply melt when confronted with 2033),

1) You don`t know your facts* and you think wrong**... try again.

1a) Last Light native port for OS X will be released September 10, next month.

*based on real-world data
**falsified by real-world data

enterthemetro.com:
However, Deep Silver will seek to make the world of Metro more accessible to a broader audience - through a commitment to ever higher product quality; through greater strategic investment in the brand; and, in the immediate term, through the release of dedicated Mac and Linux versions of Metro: Last Light. This is just the first stage of a broader initiative to bring Metro to a wider audience, without compromising the product's strengths.

If that's what you were trying to tell me. If not, I don't have any clue what you were trying to say.

Ummm... Mac computers are mostly laptops. Laptops with the worst cooling possible, and nearly exclusively with Intel HD Graphics. They also don't turn off when confronted with high temperatures (try Prime95-ing your laptop's CPU, while monitoring the temperature. It'll go over the TJMax in no time). Apple's desktop computers will also have similar problems, but I'm confident that Mac Pro users will be able to play this game. Shame only that most Mac Pro users aren't using the machine to game... and a shame, too that it costs around twice as much as its components (HD5770=HD6770, by the way).

its simple.
wnt to appeal to more players?
do a (original) devil may cry.
if your player dies 10 times in a row, in a short timeframe, it unlocks 'causal difficulty level'
this is the easymode that players who cant cope with higher difficulties, can access.

but they HAVE to die the neccisary amount of times to be allowed to access it.

(meaning that those good enough at the game may never even SEE the unlock, and those that are cannon fodder can have access after they feel bad at the game enough)

Silverbane7:
its simple.
wnt to appeal to more players?
do a (original) devil may cry.
if your player dies 10 times in a row, in a short timeframe, it unlocks 'causal difficulty level'
this is the easymode that players who cant cope with higher difficulties, can access.

but they HAVE to die the neccisary amount of times to be allowed to access it.

(meaning that those good enough at the game may never even SEE the unlock, and those that are cannon fodder can have access after they feel bad at the game enough)

That isn't a good solution to the "frustrated player problem". It will just make people frustrated at the game's difficulty way too early into it. Plus, this is not applicable to any Metro game. Starting players out in Hardcore Ranger Mode and then putting them down step by step is just not a good solution.

If you really want to do it well, let people tweak things like how intelligent the AI is, how well they're equipped et cetera (all possible... just normal options variables you have to put in).

I, for example, can cope with a very intelligent, and normally-equipped AI (that is - equipment around my own level). There may be other players who can only cope well with a dumb, but well-equipped AI. Or people that want the ultimate challenge, trying to cope with an incredibly intelligent and very much well-equipped AI. There may also be people who are not very good at the game, but enjoy it anyway, who might want to make enemies weaker over all, so that they're level.

Devon Dent:

Of course, as this pretty much means taking the things you like about it and stripping them to appeal to a crowd that probably won't respond as well (usually the Call of Duty crowd, who doesn't buy most of the games because...They have Call of Duty), that statement's invalid. But it is a nice strawman.

More accessible is not actually a bad thing. The bad thing is what many companies mean by more accessible, which is dumbing it down and making it more generic. Changing a thing to make it more familiar is not making it more accessible, despite what game publishers will tell you.

Lets take an example: Metroid.

The original Metroid was a very good game, but it was not accessible. In many terms it was a mess, especially in terms of the learning curve. The game dumped you in the deep end of the pool and said "deal with it."

Super Metroid, on the other hand, it a very accessible game. It helps the player along in some respects, introducing a learning curve and a tutorial level that are both so well executed that they actually enhance the game significantly. The core is still intact, Super Metroid was not dumbed down, it was enhanced. Super Metroid is Metroid done right.

This is the type of accessibility that I originally took this to mean because I can't imagine anyone trying to turn the Metro franchise into a generic shooter. But it certainly could do with being more accessible.

Matthi205:
The single thing I'd actually like them to copy from somewhere else is the gunplay. And I mean just make it feel like it felt in Bad Company 2. Every shot feels like a shot, and not as if you used some kind of peashooter.

What mechanical improvements are you suggesting? Or is it an change in Sound Design you are after?

Goliath100:

Matthi205:
The single thing I'd actually like them to copy from somewhere else is the gunplay. And I mean just make it feel like it felt in Bad Company 2. Every shot feels like a shot, and not as if you used some kind of peashooter.

What mechanical improvements are you suggesting? Or is it an change in Sound Design you are after?

Changes to recoil patterns, sound design, and animations when firing any single one of the guns. As it stands (and as far as I can tell), the recoil in Metro is the gun just going up, without horizontal recoil, which I find slightly weird.
Sound design, of course. If I fire, I want to hear the shell fall on the ground with a slight "ding" or "clonk" if it's plastic. Also, the guns should feel louder than they are. As it stands, their sound is very much muffled (this is very much valid for the AK).
The animations are pretty important in creating a feel, too. When the character just stands there, firing his gun, how his hands move is pretty important (not so much on lower FOV settings, but much more on the high settings I play on).
All of these, along with the hit reaction, combine into the "feel" of a gun in a video game. If a gun feels like it shoots peas and seemingly does no damage, the player will hesitate to use it, even if it might be doing tons of damage. If it doesn't feel right, it's going to end up not being used. Especially with the things the 4A Engine can do, I think this will be easier to implement than in most other engines.

no, i meant, since most games start you at normal difficulty.
are you saying metro last light starts you at the hardest? (havent tried that game yet but i have metro 2033)

usualy, the players considered 'casual level' are players that find normal difficulty hard, so start at the easy difficulty.
(ie, those that probably also pick 'casual' not normal or hardmode in saints row 3/4)

most games have normal difficulty, and whenever a dev wants to open them up, they lower normal down to easy and make easy become 1 handed play (as it were) it seems.

the reason i sugested the 10 deaths in 10 mins, hidden unlockable easymode system was simply that.
hidden from the good players, findable by those that die a lot on normal/easy difficulty.
and i didnt mean specificaly for the next metro game, but that any game a developer wants to widen the audience for, generaly speaking.
that way you at least have to *try* the normal or easy mode befor you unlock the casual grade mode system.

*edit: okay, i dont mind captcha but..captcha thats trying to sell me stuff by making itself an advert? come on....i prefer the old cynical and sarcastic captcha back please XD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here