SimCity Mac Launch Runs Into Trouble

Pages 1 2 NEXT

SimCity Mac Launch Runs Into Trouble

SimCity

Mac users trying to play SimCity have had trouble installing and launching the game.

Still contending with the fallout of its disastrous SimCity launch on PCs, Electronic Arts appears to have another Sim-centric situation on its hands. After being delayed several times by the publisher, SimCity finally made its way to Mac users today. Now, it's looking like the game might have needed a bit more time in the crockpot.

Many Mac users, attempting to play the game have found themselves unable to even install it. While some could chalk this up to their systems simply being too old for the new game, problems have apparently been occurring on computers old and new alike. While some have been able to get the game working, many others are still struggling, in some cases having to reinstall EA's Origin download application multiple times. Even after a successful installation however, many users have reported issues getting the game to start up. Other problems like persistent lag and an inability to play it in full-screen mode have also been occurring.

A spokesperson from Maxis responded to the situation stating that "There are a small number of players who have encountered issues with SimCity for Mac. Our live team is working individually with our players to resolve their issues and get them into the game as quickly as possible." Regardless of whether or not the Mac version's problems are as persistent or widespread as they were on the PC, it's still a bad situation for EA to find itself in again, especially with the same game. Logic would just seem to dictate that, after all the hubbub surrounding the game's original launch, it would make sure the Mac release went off without a hitch.

Source: TUAW

Gee, who could have seen that coming?

Wait...Is this BEFORE or AFTER the Always Online DRM?

Oh for the love of God, we're honestly going to have this song and dance again?

I must congratulate EA, never before has there been such an authentic and accurate port of a AAA game from one platform to another.

Who would honestly want to play SimCity.
These Mac users knew for a fact that the game was nigh-unplayable, so frankly EA should leave it as-is in an attempt to get the players to give up so they won't have to deal with customers any more.

Why even bother releasing it for OSX if you did not check for bugs?

This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

EA doesn't give a shit. You bought it like a drooling imbecile, no money back for you, now cry into this jar so we can harness the power of your broken nerd heart.

At this point, nobody is surprised.

EA being EA, haters gonna hate.

Media: Your game, it's powered by the heart of a FORSAKEN CHILD!?
EA/Maxis: Might be, kind of - I mean, I didn't use the whole thing!
Slightly altered Venture Bros quote.

With the history of this game one would think no one would rush out and buy it but you'd think they do more trouble shooting so another page isn't added to the game's trouble history.

Anybody care to join me in some Popcorn?

Ah EA, you provide endless entertainment... ..not intentionally obviously.

I'm certain all 5 people who bought it are just terribly disappointed.

"Small number of players" = ?

There's the rub, really. If it's only 1% of purchasers, then there isn't actually any news, and the launch went decently well, unfair internet blasting aside.

If it's more than 10%, though... Houston, we have a problem.

Man, I never saw this sort of a problem coming - said no one who knows anything about games ever...

Seriously?

I just don't get how they could screw this game up any more than they already have, then they go ahead and beat my worst expectations.

EA is making a case for a third consecutive golden poo award for worst company?

I feel like they should almost send out this notice with every game these days.

Every publisher:
There are a small number of players who have encountered issues with Game for Platform. Our live team is working individually with our players to resolve their issues and get them into the game as quickly as possible.

Oh my god I am almost falling out of my chair laughing.

This is priceless...

After the massive screw up with their PC launch, one would think they might actually do some QA testing before tossing the thing out on Macs but no...No they want to grab the headlines again with this shoddy game...

I just saw "Sim City" and "trouble" in the same sentence and assumed it was a repeat of several months back. I've come to expect failure whenever Sim City launches anything now.

Vie:
Anybody care to join me in some Popcorn?

No thanks, I've been stocking up on Doritos just for another event like this.

Well I guess that's one way to kill a brand.

I wonder how many people who bought it knew about the issues with the PC launch and the terrible AI?

It is a fucking Mac, what do you expect?

Also to those that say it is unplayable, fucking bullshit since day 5 (I had exams). 143 hours of game play with SimCity. If the game was actually unplayable then I should have barely gotten even a fraction of that.

"Right guys, the Mac version seems to be complete, shall we go to testing to make sure it works?"

'Nah, just sell it now and let our terms of service keep us from giving any money back'

*insert maniacal laughter*

This seems to be every meeting EA has lately. With all that went on for the pc version you'd expect them to triple check the game and check it again on a different set of machines too...

kiri2tsubasa:
It is a fucking Mac, what do you expect?

Also to those that say it is unplayable, fucking bullshit since day 5 (I had exams). 143 hours of game play with SimCity. If the game was actually unplayable then I should have barely gotten even a fraction of that.

Clearly you misinterpreted 'many players are not able to play the game' as 'All Mac users have been having some issues'. Just because you got lucky doesn't mean that other people can't be suffering issues.

So it works for you? Great. But don't shit on everyone who's been having issues with it because of your personal experiences.

elexis:
I must congratulate EA, never before has there been such an authentic and accurate port of a AAA game from one platform to another.

But why oh why did it have to be for all the wrong reasons?

OT: I must be one of thousands who saw something like this happening. Seriously, is anyone really surprised by this cock-up?

WOW...Just WOW...

Anyone besides me thinking the Sims 4 is kinda rushed out because of the flop that is the Simcity 2013?

Maybe this is how EA will stop having to make Simcity titles. If they just keep fumbling launches eventually even the die hards will give up.

Or how about giving people the full game some servers to play on if they so desired, hell maybe ip to ip play, personal lobbies the whole 9 yards.

Shocking want sim city? buy sim city 4. its the last proper one and it dont look too bad even today.

Anyone that bought this crap after the screw up on Pc should have their head checked.The fact that a few players got it to work at all is the suprise here. But i have to give EA some credit it takes some serious moves to run such a big title into the ground after only one try.But hey maybe they can try selling Simcity on Wii U :)

This is funny and all, but it's also quite a shame. EA did rather a lot in the space of a few weeks to earn them some good karma and try to fix up their reputation; however quickly they resolve these Mac issues and however small the percentage of affected users is, surely for the most part the bad press from this will just override any good they were able to do.

They almost always say "small number of players" no matter how many or few are having problems. It's par for the course to try and make the issue sound as insignificant as possible, as a matter of PR.

We can add it to the list of things publishers say because they think we'll fall for it, along with such favourites like "broadening the appeal" and "player choice".

Surprising no one ever...

You have to give it to EA though: No OS inequality from them, it sucks on everything. :D

Captcha: margin of error.
I ain't gonna lie, this made me chuckle.

I have a question, has the pc version gotten cheetah speed back yet?

Ha ha ha, isn't that just terrible for little ol EA? It almost seems like they're pushing things onto customers that they don't want it and making them suffer for it. May they suffer bankrupcy quickly.

who would had forseen this?

i mean the pc version of sim sity was an arbitrary rollercoater of disaster and shit that may or may not work as intended even until today.

Ldude893:

No thanks, I've been stocking up on Doritos just for another event like this.

you have become what you feared the most.

elexis:

Damn, that's one good burn there, thanks for the laugh.

This is just hilarious... you'd expect them to learn at least a little from such failures.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here