Counter-Strike's Spiritual Successor Out On Steam

Counter-Strike's Spiritual Successor Out On Steam

Minh 'Gooseman' Le hopes you'll have fun blasting the VIP in Tactical Intervention.

Tactical Intervention, the free to play shooter created by Minh Le of Counter-Strike fame, is out on Steam now for those of you seeking a new way to scratch that FPS itch. Maybe you'll hijack a car and carry out a drive-by shooting on the target, or maybe you'll rappel down the side of a building and bust in through the window. Your attack dog could be very useful keeping enemies off your back for a vital few seconds, while you free the hostages. Or maybe you'll just get shot, as often happens to folks like me; but someone's got to be the loser, in a team-based shooter.

"Things are INSANELY busy right now," Mihn Le Tweets, and no wonder. He's been working solidly on Tactical Intervention - a labor of love - since leaving Valve. "I wanted to have my own game," said Le to IGN. "I was never able to put in all the cool features I wanted because the people who played Counter-Strike would [complain] about all the changes." The goal was to make something that wasn't complicated, was fun to play, and that doesn't take forever to reach a conclusion as the last survivors scurry around the map trying not to get sniped. Looks like Le may have succeeded, and it's good to see his project hit Steam, his old employer's service.

Want this one? Do you want all the DLC? Well, though this is a free to play the DLC will cost you; there are three packs, the Terrorist Starter Pack ($14.99, you get a Bulldog pet and other fun stuff), the Counter-Terrorist Starter Pack ($14.99, want a Siberian Husky?) and the Quick Fire Pack ($6.99, guns galore), or $36.97 in all.

Source: Steam

I'm sure I'd really like the look of this game if the trailer wasn't trying to induce a seizure.

Hey, this looks like....any other "realistic" multiplayer based FPS on the market right now. And don't get me started on the copious amounts of dubstep in that trailer. Ugh... So, Mr. Gooseman, why should I play your game while there are tons of other games that look, sound and play almost exactly the same?

SanguiniusMagnificum:
Hey, this looks like....any other "realistic" multiplayer based FPS on the market right now. And don't get me started on the copious amounts of dubstep in that trailer. Ugh... So, Mr. Gooseman, why should I play your game while there are tons of other games that look, sound and play almost exactly the same?

I'm going to be honest, I haven't been following this game, hadn't heard anything about this guy since he left Valve, and my only exposure to the game has been watching that trailer.

And while it may be an awful trailer, I can safely say that what gameplay it did show didn't look like any other realistic multiplayer FPS out there right now. Unless being an DPS, having guns based on real weapons, and vehicles based on real vehicles is enough to qualify every realistic shooter as being exactly the same.

Too bad all I can see is that it has cars, guns, and shitty dubstep music videos. Am I supposed to be able to get anything out of this trailer? I can't actually tell what's going on, or how any of the mechanics work.

SanguiniusMagnificum:

Because it has dogs! Of wait, everyone is doing dogs these days. Hmm...

That trailer was rather painful to watch. Between the wubblewubble and epilepsy it looked a bit like any other military shooter type affair. Also it seems a bit egotistical to call yourself a 'genius' because you made one successful game. Maybe he went to the Phil Fish school of modesty (he's won awards you know!).

The trailer is bad. But I know about this game. It looks pretty awesome when you look at some gameplay videos on YouTube. I've been looking forward to this. I didn't know it would be free to play title, though. I expected it to be a $20 game like actual Counter Strike. And now I see that it has 3 separate DLC packs. And the worst thing about it is that AK-47 and M4 are in separate $14 packs. That kinda sucks.

Dear fucking christ... I probably have a minimum of 3 brain tumors after that horror show of a trailer.
I really have no intention of going near this after that horrific display.

Would actually have tried it out if it would just have been a 20 or 30 euro package like CS:GO but with that F2P-Shit going on and also with /that/ trailer, I think I'll pass

Wow, that trailer was painfully blurry and dub steppy. Not seeing too much in there to get excited over either.

Is it bad if while watching the trailer, I actually started to nod off?

I think I might have actually preferred Drowning Pool's "Bodies" over that dubstep track they had playing. There would have probably been less of that 'skipping' effect, most likely. Dunno what you'd call it. The gameplay looked okay, I guess, but I'm really bad at online shooters despite my best efforts. I'd probably be the guy getting killed in every scene.

Dubstep in trailers is sooo last year

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here