Final Fantasy 14 Team Didn't Expect So Many Players - PAX 2013

Pages PREV 1 2

Merlark:
-Biggest snip ever-

Wow, someone's got some personal issues with a guy he's never met. Is it that hard for you to accept the apology of a man who spent the last three years of his life performing what effectively amounted to a Hail Mary for the company?

Also, you don't have all of your information straight. I'm no expert on the more technical aspects of things like world transfers or just how much time/effort goes in to buying, creating, testing, and installing servers, but what I can say is your claim that they're using the same in-game engine is completely bogus. They've repeatedly said that they scrapped the entire old game and have redesigned it from the ground up using a brand new game engine. It's pretty clear that that's the case, too, given that the system requirements are now much lower than 1.0's, which were pretty high-up there from what I hear (I'm also not a PC gamer, myself, so what's high-spec and low-spec I can only testify to from hearsay). Not only that, but the in-game graphics are quite different, as well.

I'm not looking for an argument or anything, nor am I looking to change your opinion of Yoshi-P--odds are that nothing we say will change each others' minds, so why waste both of our times? But I do suggest reading up on some of your claims, as a lot just sounds like pure distrust of SE and Yoshi-P is your sole reasoning behind them.

He probably like me played a lot of ffxi and it's true SE do nothing for you once they have your money trying to get them to fix problems or even just tell you what copy of their dam game you will be able to buy in your own territory. It's nothing but pure frustration.

I was in beta and the game was fun just very shallow all grind for gear and nothing more quest hubs the modern mmo stuff.
Lots of people are enjoying it so it must be good game but for Yo-P to say we didn't expect it to be so popular is bs SE has the same kind of problems when a new content update goes live on xi's servers they don't care that it can take a whole day just to get to start the download on their servers because they cheap out on bandwidth every time. To know your servers can only handle 5k online at a time each then go and stick 15k of people on that server is madness (i have no idea how many people are on each server). They had the numbers from beta they had the pre-order numbers and they should of provided services of at least 40% more than they expected.

One question I want answered is why no EU server in the EU??? Nice to have a circle pop up only to know it's already too late to try and avoid it @350ms ping..... Also did we ever get an answer out of mr P about how terribly out of sync the cast timers and aoe markers were??? I could be out of range of an AoE and walk into the circle at 50% cast and not get hit and vice versa it was total bs and the thread had over 40 pages and no dev response? And that exsact problem was why Yo-P said they had to rebuild the whole game from scratch to fix it and it didn't get fixed??? Yep you can trust his word it's all truth Yo-P tell no lies XD.......

This is a horribly ignorant interview. The writer has no idea what he's talking about.

"despite the obvious benefits of free to play in the current market."

What benefits? Do you understand nothing about how MMO's work? The only benefit is with the company because they can keep getting a large income to make a profit, but they don't have a stable enough income to keep the dev team hired, so it will be a small dev team and very little content, with very little quality, and it will take around 6 months to release a content small patch. F2P is a scam pure and simple.

There is no such thing as a good F2P MMO. There are none out there. They are all garbage compared to games that are P2P.

The ignorance you are spreading to your readers is unethical for someone in your position. Please educate yourself on the subject before you talk about it.

A group of us are having quite a bit of fun with the game, if we can log in. Some days it's taken us 5+ hours of trying to log in, it's totally random.

Really not happy with how it's been handled, but tonight they're (hopefully) going to fix that. I'm not holding my breath.

But our little Escapist Free Company (guild) is doing well on Malboro server. Hopefully when transfers come up we can have more people come over to join us.

Miyenne:
A group of us are having quite a bit of fun with the game, if we can log in. Some days it's taken us 5+ hours of trying to log in, it's totally random.

Really not happy with how it's been handled, but tonight they're (hopefully) going to fix that. I'm not holding my breath.

But our little Escapist Free Company (guild) is doing well on Malboro server. Hopefully when transfers come up we can have more people come over to join us.

Yeah, I had quite the rant the other day when it took me those 5 hours. the big maintenance is today, though, where they're adding more servers and hopefully fixing all the login issues and restrictions. And hopefully they set up a proper queue system. I"d be happy to wait if I was in a queue, not loggng in over and over hoping to just not crash.

When we can play, it's great. I am really enjoying myself and @Miyenne and I find ourselves going "Well, it's getting late, maybe we should stop here... but we could just go hand in this quest since it's part of the main storyline..." And 2 hours later we're still playing. I haven't called my friends or set up coffee dates or anything as I promised people since the game came out, even with all the issues. I kinda need to contact the world outside work and my game soon.

We really could use more people on Malboro, so if character creation opens up on the server, check us out. Our Lodestones are listed on the main page of our group as @Miyenne posted, so please look us up. We've been running the lower level dungeons with people when they need ti as there's a Level Sync... so if someone needs the level 15 dungeon, I being my level 30-something healer and it's just levelled down for that run. I lose access to some abilities, but my gear just scales down as well so all I do is walk into the dungeon and I'm good to go. Very handy, no fiddling and annoyances to help the lower levels. It's great.

Come play with us, please. >.>

Yeah this game is absolutely nucking futs when it comes to the fun factor. Like the Facebook posts said, it's an extremely competent game (let alone an extremely competent MMO) that goes the extra mile with even the most vanilla of its gameplay aspects.

Your standard boring-ass "Kill X amount of Y to hand to NPC Z" is spiced up by generally low numbers of X, interesting visual designs of Y, and NPC Zs that are surprisingly well-written and sometimes have little plot twists to the quest that keep players on their toes - that is, if they bother to read the dialogue.

There are just lots of little things about this game that make it an MMO that's greater than the sum of its parts.

This is the sort of blunder that I'm actually happy to see - People completely UNDERestimating how popular a game will be.

Makes me kinda happy for them.

Merlark:
It's a complete lie that they are working on a world transfer program, they already have it, people...FF14 RRB is not a NEW game, its using the same engine as the old version,

I'd like to see you prove this one. I played FFXI for seven years, and I have no idea how it could possibly be the same engine. The controls are completely different, the way damage, HP and MP, regenerate is completely different, the job abilities and weapon skills are completely different, the way you gain access to and change jobs is completely different, the way you learn new spells and certain new abilities is completely different...I don't see how any aspect of the battle system could have come from FFXI, without a complete ground-up overhaul that may as well have been starting from a blank slate. Hell even the way exp is distributed between party members/outside helpers is completely different. And I've noticed that monsters now aggro only by sight, not by sound and smell like some in XI could. And the range of sight is much more limited than in XI.

Many aspects like the stats may appear similar in name, but in practice they are very different. For example, elemental weaknesses were completely taken out, to avoid certain DPS classes from being favored or avoided in certain situations.

Lilani:

Merlark:
It's a complete lie that they are working on a world transfer program, they already have it, people...FF14 RRB is not a NEW game, its using the same engine as the old version,

I'd like to see you prove this one. I played FFXI for seven years, and I have no idea how it could possibly be the same engine. The controls are completely different, the way damage, HP and MP, regenerate is completely different, the job abilities and weapon skills are completely different, the way you gain access to and change jobs is completely different, the way you learn new spells and certain new abilities is completely different...I don't see how any aspect of the battle system could have come from FFXI, without a complete ground-up overhaul that may as well have been starting from a blank slate. Hell even the way exp is distributed between party members/outside helpers is completely different. And I've noticed that monsters now aggro only by sight, not by sound and smell like some in XI could. And the range of sight is much more limited than in XI.

Many aspects like the stats may appear similar in name, but in practice they are very different. For example, elemental weaknesses were completely taken out, to avoid certain DPS classes from being favored or avoided in certain situations.

I'm quite sure he ment it's the same engine from XIV that was supposed to be in the trash right about now but it seems to of been used for XIVARR too.

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard from a game producer. You didn't expect your game to be so popular? Wow....just wow.. It's Final Fantasy, if you haven't noticed by now, the fanbase for it is huge, and will by any product in the franchise just for the sake of having it, no matter if it's a steaming pile or not.

In ARR's case, it's a steaming pile. Just about everything in this game is broken, and not even being addressed. It was no where near ready for launch but yet they did it anyway because they only care about the money. Here's just a few things that kill this game.

1. Zones....really SE? I was promised a seamless world, not a chopped up linear bullshit world.
2. No Login Queue. Again....really SE?
3. No Auto afk boot. By far the biggest problem of all. No wonder no one can log in when you allow some 12 yr old to afk while he's at school for 8 hours.
4. The crafting system is just not viable, and horribly set up.
5. NPC's take anywhere from 30 seconds, to 5 minutes just to spawn in front of you.
6. Invisible walls. Probably the most invisible walls in one game I have ever seen.
7. Constant random runtime errors every 15 minutes. With no explaination as to why it's crashing.
8. Cookie cutter classes. No way to do hybrid stats, you are forced to have a balanced character in any job.
9. Random graphical bugs every 10 minutes. Like falling through bridges, and the ground.
10. One character can do every job and sub job. Probably the biggest fail ever. Whats the point in creating any other character when one can do everything in the game?

This is just a small handful of reasons why this game is a steaming pile. It's a disgrace to the FF franchise and should never have been released period. With crap products like this its obvious that Yoshi doesn't give a damn any more. He's never cared for the US or EU so it's no surprise that we get all the secondhand bullshit.

Good to see SE used the beta period so well.... I hear all the problems are still in the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3leMnErroL0

Well what a shame guess there is always FFXX online maybe when they test it they might actually try to come up with some decent net code and not the bollocks they have released in xivarr!?

Skyler Harris:
Th1. Zones....really SE? I was promised a seamless world, not a chopped up linear bullshit world.
2. No Login Queue. Again....really SE?
3. No Auto afk boot. By far the biggest problem of all. No wonder no one can log in when you allow some 12 yr old to afk while he's at school for 8 hours.
4. The crafting system is just not viable, and horribly set up.
5. NPC's take anywhere from 30 seconds, to 5 minutes just to spawn in front of you.
6. Invisible walls. Probably the most invisible walls in one game I have ever seen.
7. Constant random runtime errors every 15 minutes. With no explaination as to why it's crashing.
8. Cookie cutter classes. No way to do hybrid stats, you are forced to have a balanced character in any job.
9. Random graphical bugs every 10 minutes. Like falling through bridges, and the ground.
10. One character can do every job and sub job. Probably the biggest fail ever. Whats the point in creating any other character when one can do everything in the game?

Some of these are genuine grievances I'd identify with, but others just seem to be exaggerating things (or exaggerating their significance) and others I've not heard of at all. eg. Pretty sure there is a login queue.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here