Robocop Remake Trailer Hits the Streets

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Robocop Remake Trailer Hits the Streets

The first trailer for next year's Robocop remake is finally here.

I'd forgotten that a Robocop remake is in the works, and it was kind of blissful, really. The first movie was pretty close to perfect, after all, a sharp blend of action and biting satire that was much smarter than it let on and boasted one of the most memorable casts of villains ever assembled. Peter Weller was okay as the titular character, but it was Ronny Cox, Miguel Ferrer, Ray Wise, Paul McCrane and of course the inimitable Kurtwood Smith that really made it work. How can any remake live up to that?

Perhaps that's why the new Robocop, according to its IMDB entry, isn't including any of those characters: no Bob Morton, no Dick Jones, not even Clarence Boddicker. Instead, it's opting for a somewhat higher-profile cast, including Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Jay Baruchel, Jackie Earl Haley... and Miguel Ferrer.

Setting aside my own personal biases, I'd be willing to admit that this trailer doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't exactly have me ready to get in line for a ticket, either - and given how good the original is, and how firmly rooted it is in pop culture consciousness, a remake is a mighty risky proposition.

It is only the first trailer, so it's way too early to go live with any kind of opinion, and who knows? It might even turn out to be pretty good. But a Robocop film without Clarence Boddicker? I don't think I'd buy that for a dollar.

Robocop is slated to hit theaters early next year.

Okay, that actually looks pretty good. Unfortunately I can already see where the story is going to go though.

The fact he still has a family that he remembers who also remembers him is a bit weird, one of the better parts of Robocop was him starting to remember his past.

For a first trailer, it isn't bad, hopefully the movie itself pulls enough new things to bring in an audience, if just the fans of the originals.

Looks pretty good...

Now, if it wasnt a Robocop movie, but something else, I would say its really good. But... this isnt the robocop I remember...

Im not about to write it off yet, but its gonna have to work for my interest.

On the one hand, this movie looks like it has NONE of the humor that the original film had, the whole movie had this humourous tone to it that made it good.

On the other hand, I honestly was always curious to see what would've happened if Murphy saw his family again.

Yet what really turned me off in this trailer was the whole "Make his armor all black" idea. That reeeeeeally comes off like some desperate idea just to look more "marketable".

Colour me impressed. When I heard they were rebooting Robocop I thought it was destined to fail but this, this isn't bad. A hell of a lot better than Robocop 3!

I am disgusted. Where was the cheesy humor, the over-the-top violence? This looks like just another action movie filled with explosions.

While I have to admit this looks pretty badass....the only thing I have to say is I really hope this is just a tame trailer and the movie will be R (looks doubtful)

Still pretty stoked from the trailer

Hmm, the suit looks better than in the pics I'd seen before. But, it still just doesn't look right in black. The grey is much better.

Also, he just doesn't sound right. I guess Peter Weller's voice did more for the character than I realized.

BaronUberstein:
I am disgusted. Where was the cheesy humor, the over-the-top violence? This looks like just another action movie filled with explosions.

Also this.

Yeah, all the shots of his grey/silver armor look better than the black but...eh? Right now it falls into "well, it could be worse!"

lets hope he defeats the ED 209 with...stairs

Eh, doesn't look that bad. Y'know, for something called "Robo Cop".

Then again, I only recently saw the original and was distinctly unimpressed.

That trailer music sounds familiar...
Anyone know who else used it?
Or is it just utterly generic?

At one point it looked like he punched someone wearing Mass Effect's Blood Dragon armor. Still, not a fan of this remake, and it doesn't look very appealing.

the one hand covered and one hand exposed seemed a little off to me. I liked everything else just kept think of MJ's one glove lol.

I cannot see any of these actors nailing the delivery of "Bitches leave.". I prefer the satire that is Robocop over an earnest re-telling of the story.

Programmed_For_Damage:
Colour me impressed. When I heard they were rebooting Robocop I thought it was destined to fail but this, this isn't bad. A hell of a lot better than Robocop 3!

oh god...your avatar, i hated him growing up XD

but otherwise i agree with this.

i do hope the "cheesy B movie humor" makes a comeback in this, otherwise this looks like a pretty decent action movie.

The Knightly Gamer:
the one hand covered and one hand exposed seemed a little off to me. I liked everything else just kept think of MJ's one glove lol.

It distracted me too. In the original he looses one arm and has the other chopped off so he can get super cyborg strength in both. Which makes me wonder why the changed it, and what else they changed and why... Probably so it can be PG13 and have a wider audience.

"I'd forgotten that a Robocop remake is in the works," and I have a feeling about a month after this comes out, you (along with the rest of us) will have forgotten it again.

octafish:
I prefer the satire that is Robocop over an earnest re-telling of the story.

BaronUberstein:

This and this. RoboCop had a story about family and corruption and politics, but at its core it was a campy B rated cop movie, complete with all the cheasy puns.

I remember getting flustered over the new design when it was first announced. The grey armor in the beginning of the video looks so much better, and in-coincidentally a lot more like the original thing. Hopefully this remake will be like the DmC: Devil May Cry reboot; a big fuss about aesthetics but actually be good.

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda dig it.

I really hate the black armor/one real hand design decision.

It looks stupid with one normal hand, and in black.

Also there is way too much face time in there. Did anyone else notice his face looks perfectly fine after the picture of him in the hospital bed was all scared and funky looking?

Looks like a solid action movie over all, but a poor RoboCop movie all told.

Come on guys, everyone knows Robocop was a Jesus allegory, he should have been shotgun crucified, not car bombed! This movie better end with him walking on water before delivering sweet, sweet justice.

Also he looks better in grey.

Arslan Aladeen:
"I'd forgotten that a Robocop remake is in the works," and I have a feeling about a month after this comes out, you (along with the rest of us) will have forgotten it again.

Agreed...and I kinda object to the use of the word 'finally' in the description.

AxelxGabriel:
Yet what really turned me off in this trailer was the whole "Make his armor all black" idea. That reeeeeeally comes off like some desperate idea just to look more "marketable".

I thought that was meant to be the point. That in the film they're trying to make him marketable. They want to make someone americans can get behind so he needs to be marketable. Could just be an excuse for actual marketing outside the film but I'm kinda hoping it stays in the film and that they make the film into some sort of deconstruction of reboots or something like that but I'm probably being incredibly optimistic and probably sound rather pretentious.

I reserve my judgement until I see the movie
But Robocop is one of my favorite movies
I'd really don't want then to screw up.

I liked the trailer, but as everyone else said, ditch the black armor, Robocop is grey.

Anyone else catch the line "America needs a symbol it can get behind"? That killed my interest, but not for the reason you'd think. RoboCop was about a cop turned cyborg who get his revenge on those who took away his life, that one line sets up the remake as a Superhero movie. RoboCop isn't a superhero movie.

I am not impressed at all.

Hell he doesn't even move like Robocop, its just a dude in a suit.

Looks okay, but I have a few issues.

1: The soundtrack. Basil Poledouris made a fantastic soundtrack for the original, and it doesn't seem like the remake's is going to come anywhere close.
2. The look. I'm not a fan of pained-black Robocop or the red visor-eye. Silver looked awesome.

That said, I'm leery of this one, but I still hope it'll be good (even though it won't hold up next to the original). Also the revamped ED-209 looked awesome.

Not sure if I can be as excited about this as I am the new Riddick movie tomorrow....

Also this needs to have the original theme song or I may have to be upset.

Yeah, based on this it might be all right.

But the original RoboCop did a tremendous job of suggesting not that some system was screwed up or the bureaucracy was corrupt or the government was wrecked but that nearly everything in the world was in some way rotten, the people just trying to do their jobs honestly few, far between, and largely victimized by their circumstances. It was both impressive and kind of emotionally crushing.

I don't get that impression from the trailer. I think there will be clear villains, a far more black-and-white view of the world, and an attempt to suggest that by the end the hero has made a big difference in the grand scheme of things. And that's okay; hell, sometimes I go to movies to see exactly that. But in a very real way, it's all the trimmings of RoboCop without any of the guts.

No humorous side, everything seems monochromic. The scene that's blue is all blue. All the other scenes are dark grey or bright grey. Notice all the rapid cutaways? May be Bay-style ADD.

In other words, I'm going to go ahead and predict a dreadful safe movie that brings nothing new to its story or society but will make money because of the marketing blitz.

Fucking hell. I still can't believe they can just remake whatever and everyone will just eat it up, and it always looks bland as hell and unfaithful to the original. Even if by some miracle they do set the right tone, you can bet your ass it will be filled with today's terrible juvenile humour.

I don't believe it can get any worse than this. This is entertainment hell we're in right now people.

Okay, that looked better than I expected. Then again, I expected very little.

Didn't like the black version, but it looks like it might not be his full-time look. Honestly, there wasn't a lot that really stood out other than noting that this has some pretty big name actors in it. Which is probably not the best endorsement.

Robocop has names you recognize in it.

Yeah, not a strong selling point. Maybe they'll have something decent to show us later.

Ugh...it looks like Another Summer Sci-Fi Action Film.

Truthfully, I did actually like the re-design while it was grey. Would be funny at the end when everything's happy and great (because it's going to be PG-13 and that's how those HAVE to be), he'd come in with his armor colored grey and someone's like, "Hey...what happened to your..." and he'd say "Black's not my color." That'd be awesome. Also, if you'd have the ED scene with stairs, but instead of being defeated by stairs he'd have jump jets for ironical sake...er...wait, no no, someone already did that.

NOPE!!!!!

That looks freaking terrible.
Makes me think of that crappy 90's tv show Super force.
Robocop even looks to have special motorcycle like on that show.

sigh.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or