Electronic Arts is Creating Six to Eight New IPs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Executive Vice President Patrick Soderlund claims EA will "go onto life support" the day it stops creating new IP.

Triple-A gaming has always been something of a franchise-focused industry. The vast majority of games tend to be sequels or reboots, and even Ubisoft has stated that it won't develop original titles that couldn't become ongoing series. So where can one go when looking for original properties in an ocean of follow-ups? According to Patrick Soderlund, you turn to Electronic Arts. In an interview with MCV, EA Games' Executive Vice President not only emphasized the importance of bringing new ideas to gaming, he also claimed that the publisher is currently working on six to eight new IPs.

"We have six to eight completely new IPs in the works," Soderlund said. "The day we stop making new IP is when we go onto life support. We need to incubate new ideas and push creative boundaries."

It's probably worth noting that Soderlund's comments come mere months before two new consoles hit the market. Upcoming console generations are considered the ideal time to introduce new IP, since they are more likely be purchased with the console itself. This also doesn't change the fact that EA has its share of sequels on the way, including resurrected franchises like Mirror's Edge and Star Wars Battlefront.

"We are working on a new Mirror's Edge game," Soderlund clarified, "and although that's not a new IP, it is a revival done in a new way. We are developing Star Wars Battlefront, which to us is a new IP, even though it isn't technically."

That being said, and whatever the reasons, an injection of new ideas into Triple-A gaming certainly isn't a bad thing. Soderlund didn't offer a full list of EA's new IPs, but it's a likely bet that Titanfall is one of them and it looks fun if nothing else. We'll just have to wait and see what else EA brings to the table, and hope it isn't five cover-based shooters and three Tolkienesque-fantasy RPGs.

Source: MCV, via Polygon

So its Mirrors Edge all over again. You guys remember right, they switched CEOs and suddenly they actually created some new IPs to then forget about and continue to release sequels for the same games (Medal of Honor at the time, now Battlefield).

At least we get something for that short period of time.

To later sequelize and ruin the fuck out of them!

Who wants to bet they'll make a GTA ripoff? Seems like an obvious thing for a giant idiotic publisher like EA.

They can't give an exact number because even they can't tell them apart.

Six new IPs, eh? I think I know what they are:

• A pirate-themed FPS called Call of Booty. It's actually a typical modern shooter, but they all wear pirate hats.
  • A new American Football game starring Oakland Raiders runningback Darren McFadden, called McFadden 2014
  • Plants Vs. Vampires
  • A free-to-play FPS with vehicles, called Hattlefield, which will make money from hat sales.
  • SimShop, in which you run a small store and build it into a corporate empire. Extra products that you can stock are paid DLC.
  • Army of Four: Zombies, a co-op shooter in which teams must fight their way from safe room to safe room.

All of these are totally new ideas that EA isn't stealing from other developers or from themselves.

P.S. Thanks

It's too easy to be cynical here, what with EA's history and current reputation. Instead I'll try to look at the good of this.

A possible eight new IP's coming from a typically franchise-driven publisher? Great. In the short-term, this could prove to be a nice change in strategy on EA's behalf and a few great, original games might come out of this.

I'm certainly interested to see what six IPs they could be talking about (assuming numbers seven and eight are the Mirror's Edge "revival" and Battlefront, given what Soderlund said). So far, EA has been making some pretty decent decisions, the only real questionable one I can recall being their announcement to make their big franchises (perhaps just elements of them) Free-to-Play.

Covarr:

• A pirate-themed FPS called Call of Booty. It's actually a typical modern shooter, but they all wear pirate hats.
  • A free-to-play FPS with vehicles, called Hattlefield, which will make money from hat sales.
  • Is it wrong that I would actually love to see hats (providing they'll be at TF2 levels of wackiness) in a modern military shooter?

josemlopes:
    So its Mirrors Edge all over again. You guys remember right, they switched CEOs and suddenly they actually created some new IPs to then forget about and continue to release sequels for the same games (Medal of Honor at the time, now Battlefield).

We also got Dead Space, Mass Effect and Crysis.

So at least some of those new IPs will be successful, then sequelized and fashionised ad nauseum until nobody cares and nothing of value remains. Dead Space and Crysis were born, lived and died in one generation, Mass Effect, well, we'll see, that's EA for you.

I know that we are talking about EAs new IP promises but
    this get my attention:

"We are working on a new Mirror's Edge game," Soderlund clarified, "and although that's not a new IP, it is a revival done in a new way."

Revival?Fine.Done in new way?Next thing is my brain telling me "This game will suck"...

Due to EA business practice I suspect that new way of doing Mirror edge means
    more fights in game, or widen out demographic shareholders says.Or any other
    case of "new way" in game instead of building on core values of the game which
    is freerunning.

I bet it will be just a single new Ip and the rest we will have to buy season passes and DLC for

Field Battle.

Armed farmers everywhere, tanks are now tractors, jets are crop sprayers, jeeps.. Well they're still jeeps, just really old broken down ones.

Destruction physics on sheep and cattle.

So the owners of 6-8 independent studios can look forward to getting bought out, followed by sequestration, and ultimately being shut down. And then the IPs will remain under EA control, where they will do absolutely nothing with the property. God, I feel old.

EA just connected six new computers in its executive offices, and since they're all connected to the corporate network, each one will indeed need one new IP.

I can't wait to see what the new IP's are. IF they interest me then I well get them, if not, the, well I'm not goin to get them.

Hurry everyone, play them before EA destroys them!

Flippincrazy:
    It's too easy to be cynical here, what with EA's history and current reputation. Instead I'll try to look at the good of this.

A possible eight new IP's coming from a typically franchise-driven publisher? Great. In the short-term, this could prove to be a nice change in strategy on EA's behalf and a few great, original games might come out of this.

This isn't a change in strategy. They periodically throw up a lot of shit on a wall and see what sticks. Then they milk a couple of games in sequel form, and pretty much drop the rest.

It's especially easy to be cynical because they were the ones demanding 5 million sales for the Dead Space franchise to continue. How will new games, "completely" new IPs, far in that sort of environment?

enex:

Revival?Fine.Done in new way?Next thing is my brain telling me "This game will suck"...

Keep in mind, it's also a reboot.

Because the complexity and nuances of a single game are too alienating for the broader audience they clearly want.

I don't really care about Mirror's Edge, but that gave me a "lolwot" moment.

Covarr:
    Oakland Raiders runningback Darren McFadden, called McFadden 2014[/li]

• Plants Vs. Vampires
  • See, this is what I sort of expect. "New IPs" that are technically new, and ignoring the "completely" part. So we get spinoffs and the like. After all, "new IP" does not automatically equal "new game" or anything promising. A sequel is technically a new intellectual property. I doubt they're going to go that route, but I'm betting "completely new" is hyperbole.

orangeapples:
    Hurry everyone, play them before EA destroys them!

Assuming they aren't already fragmented titles with "freemium" style content.

Elate:
    Field Battle.

Armed farmers everywhere, tanks are now tractors, jets are crop sprayers, jeeps.. Well they're still jeeps, just really old broken down ones.

Destruction physics on sheep and cattle.

Each action costs energy, and you regain one energy every five minutes.

Unless, of course, you want to pay now to full recharge your energy bar.

Fanghawk:

That generic soldier on the cover of BF4 looks an awful lot like Patrick.

DVS BSTrD:
    They can't give an exact number because even they can't tell them apart.

I think the problem they stated themselves. Some of the IP will be new, but Mirrors Edge and Battlefront 3 are being treated as "semi new IPs." Do they count or don't they, as it's been at least 10 years since we've seen either.

Zachary Amaranth:
    "New IPs" that are technically new, and ignoring the "completely" part. So we get spinoffs and the like. After all, "new IP" does not automatically equal "new game" or anything promising. A sequel is technically a new intellectual property. I doubt they're going to go that route, but I'm betting "completely new" is hyperbole.

Agreed. They've been making some major positive strides lately with all of their pro-games talk and policies. Now the make-or-break moment will be to see how they follow through with it when making their next set of games.

enex:
    is freerunning.

When Mirror's Edge reboot was first announced they specifically mentioned that the fighting felt tacked on and didn't really fit. They 'said' they were removing it, but I completely understand the cynicism. This again goes back to my "wait and see if New EA is like Old EA" comment above.

"six to eight"? Shouldn't the vice president of a company who is talking about what the company is doing actually, you know, know what the company is doing? Six isn't that big a number. You can still tell the difference between it and eight even if you've lost a couple of fingers.

TiberiusEsuriens:

When Mirror's Edge reboot was first announced they specifically mentioned that the fighting felt tacked on and didn't really fit. They 'said' they were removing it, but I completely understand the cynicism. This again goes back to my "wait and see if New EA is like Old EA" comment above.

I think the trailer really helped to cement that cynicism too. The first Mirror's Edge trailers were mostly just parkour (or that shattering reality music video thing) while the first trailer for Mirror's Edge 2 shows off combat mechanics but barely any parkour.

Covarr:

• SimShop, in which you run a small store and build it into a corporate empire. Shelves are restocked via microtransaction. Extra products are paid DLC.
  • Adjusted that one just a bit. Now it's perfect. :)

Zachary Amaranth:

Flippincrazy:

This isn't a change in strategy. They periodically throw up a lot of shit on a wall and see what sticks. Then they milk a couple of games in sequel form, and pretty much drop the rest.

It's especially easy to be cynical because they were the ones demanding 5 million sales for the Dead Space franchise to continue. How will new games, "completely" new IPs, far in that sort of environment?

I was merely trying to add a bit of optimism in a thread that would inevitably be full of dreary sarcastic one-liners and other such charming responses.

I'd be inclined to agree with you. Odds are that EA will release a few semi-original games designed with the creation of a franchise in mind and EA's continued emphasis on profitability and chasing inflated sales figures will create a toxic environment in which these new games will struggle to do well, unless they rely on chest-high walls and high-octane action.

The best we could expect is that one or two of these IP's are genuinely fun to play. Or that EA have learnt that shitting where they eat is perhaps not the best long-term strategy.

...Bollocks, I just did it, didn't I?

So of the 6-8 new IPs, two of them are not new? Even if they come up with something new that doesn't mean it is necessarily interesting or unique, plus they will just start grinding out endless sequels to anything that looks like it is popular until noone likes it any more.

That said, I'm interested to see what they have to offer. It could be a new source of amusement.

Wait... Titanfall is EA? Damn it, I was really excited about that one.

What is this 6-8 about? Do they not know how many IPs they are developing? Is there potentially an EA department somewhere that they forgot about that could be producing more than they though and so they have to create a possible range to account for them or another department that is slacking off?

From what they said, they're going to be going free to play on titles going forward. Having seem them consistently fail at attempts to do that, I'm going to try and avoid getting excited about these titles until a couple weeks after release.

enex:
    I know that we are talking about EAs new IP promises but
    this get my attention:

"We are working on a new Mirror's Edge game," Soderlund clarified, "and although that's not a new IP, it is a revival done in a new way."

is freerunning.

To be fair, mirrors edge was fine for what it was but there is really no room to grow there. Better to take the core ideas of what made it good and build on those than trying to carry over all the baggage that served the first title but would only drag down a second title.

This is why I support the idea of spiritual successors rather than direct sequels. Even call it Mirrors Edge 2 if you want, but take the ideas that worked (or the ones that will work) with the new project and make a good game. This is the strategy used in the Final Fantasy series, and it has worked wonders with the exception of Final Fantasy 13, 2, and arguably 8. No Final Fantasy is bound by the previous games but all are free to take what will or will not work from the series at large. You get many of the good parts of a long running IP (brand recognition, consumer loyalty, etc) with minimal impact on the creative process, leaving you free to make a great and unique game. Not that Square has been taking advantage of that potential lately. But the theory is sound.

ah, it was ubisoft then. i was wondering who claimed that foul sentiment. i just came in to ask if it was EA, and if they were going back on it. but i guess not.
    OT: so.. uh.. good for them? they were bound to get something right one of these days with so many darts. guess it's just that time. we'll see how long this chain of good ideas lasts. odds favor a chain of 1.

I thought EA said they wouldn't do any more new IPs? Or am I getting them confused with some other shit stain of a company?

So EA has been on life support for the past few years? (HEYOOO!!!)

Seriously, Escapist users, I'm disappointed in you for not using that joke already.

A Bit More OT: So Soderlund sees Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront as new IPs? I can kind-of see a justification for Battlefront, but Mirror's Edge 2 is clearly an addition to the brand, not some completely original game. By that logic, Dragon Age 3 is a new IP because it uses a completely changed combat system and has an entirely different focus from the previous DA game.

Adam Jensen:
    Who wants to bet they'll make a GTA ripoff? Seems like an obvious thing for a giant idiotic publisher like EA.

That would be a good thing in a sea of COD shooters.

If its as open world as GTA that would actually be *gasp* worth any sort of money.

Hmmm, so I'm guessing EA just acquired 6 to 8 more chimpanzees.

I'm sorry EA I just do not care. I despise you and all your current and future stillborn progenies.

Who wants to bet that they'll just be 6-8 variously themed first person shooters featuring chest high walls?

You know EA, I really want to go to bat for you...but when you say 6-8 new IPs, and then say things like a new mirrors edge and battlefront, as they are being done in new ways and one is "new to you" makes me worried.

I am sure by that accounting they would consider their HORRIBLE reboot of Syndicate a "New IP."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here