BioWare Gets a New Boss

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Gets a New Boss

BioWare dragon

Electronic Arts has made Matthew Bromberg the new big dog at BioWare.

BioWare has been a ship without a captain for almost a full year now, since co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka retired in September 2012 after 17 years at the helm. Tonight, however, EA revealed that the studio has a new shot-caller: Matthew Bromberg, formerly the CEO of Major League Gaming, who joined EA in 2012 as general manager of BioWare Austin following Zeschuk's departure.

Bromberg will assume the role of Group General Manager of the BioWare label, giving him overall responsibility for BioWare Austin, Bioware Canada (Edmonton and Montreal) and the Victory and Waystone studios. Aaryn Flynn remains in charge at BioWare Canada, while Star Wars: The Old Republic producer Jeff Hickman will take over as the new GM at BioWare Austin.

As general manager at BioWare Austin, Bromberg guided the studio through the process of transitioning Star Wars: The Old Republic from a subscription-based MMO to a free-to-play model.

Source: VentureBeat

He is Matthew Bromberg, of EA. Resistance is Futile. From this time forward, your games, as you know it, have ended.

his achievements

were managing MLG

and making Old Republic f2p

Nope, I can't, this is too much, it's over, it's all over.

Andy Chalk:

As general manager at BioWare Austin, Bromberg guided the studio through the process of transitioning Star Wars: The Old Republic from a subscription-based MMO to a free-to-play model.

I wonder how many people will be impressed by this tidbit?

Now I wonder how many people are going to take this as the further degradation of a once-great studio into some degenerate clinging to the ass-hairs of EA as it desperately tries to stay out of the toilet water, juggling its horrible sensibilities with its last dumps with the obsessive need to make money as well as trying to win back people?

Me? All I see is crap floating in the bowl. Star Wars F2P model is one of the worst in the genre, bar none, in terms of what it offers and expects from its players to stomach. I'd of been more trusting of the guy if he was at least responsible for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, or Dragon Age 2's Varric. Those people at least had some sort of a head on their shoulders. Which, I'm guessing, EA quickly bit off much like how the female Preying Mantis bites the head of the male off just after ensuring the continued survival of its species.

Captcha: For the gipper
I... uh... didn't know Captcha was a Notre Dame fan, or a fan of Ronald Reagan... huh...

RIP Bioware you'll be missed.

Well one's previous experience doesn't necessarily mean he'll be bad for the job. It doesn't look good, particularly, but it might turn out okay. Bioware was founded by doctors, right? That's even less experience than him.

Maybe a new head honcho will turn Bioware around from the slump they've been in.

Here's hoping this change will usher in a whole new golden era of Bioware releases. Maybe this guy is just what the company needs to help reinvent and reinvigorate itself. One can hope, can they not?

Matthew Bromberg, formerly the CEO of Major League Gaming

This guy's got experience running a tournament organization (which doesn't line up with running a game dev company)and is responsible for a f2p model so restrictive you have to sub just to function (unless you enjoy constantly being under-leveled and having to pay RL money to buy end-game gear).

I have a bad feeling about this...

I've been somewhat surprised by and forgiving of EA lately but a move like this only serves to remind me of why they needed that forgiveness in the first place.

Goofguy:
Here's hoping this change will usher in a whole new golden era of Bioware releases. Maybe this guy is just what the company needs to help reinvent and reinvigorate itself. One can hope, can they not?

One can hope, yes. Hopefully such hope will not lead to further pain and suffering, however. :(

Bioware's future is bleak. For the internet at large I think it's safe to say Bioware will live or die on the success of Dragon Age 3.

I don't want to dump on Bromberg at this early juncture, he may or may not prove to be the leader BioWare needs right now, but from a sentimental (and creative) standpoint, it's disappointing that Aaryn Flynn didn't get the gig. Guy's been with BioWare since 2000 and Baldur's Gate 2 - although maybe that worked against him in this case.

So his claim to fame is that he made the single WORST F2P model for an MMO ever?
One that punishes you for not paying every month, and basically gives you the middle finger from start to finish?

Yeah I foresee GREAT things in the future of Bioware.

Yeah, I think EA deserves this:

Thanks, eSults!

It has finally happened! I can finally say that apart from a small bit of schaudenfreude I have zero fucks to give about EA putting another slug in my once favorite dev.

Call me crazy, but I kinda wanted Casey Hudson for the job as a way of promoting him away from anything creative. I mean, he can manage a team well enough, but he can't art worth a shit.

He's pretty much just a guy who already knows the basic workings of the company... really... that's not a big deal...

meh i will play the games if they interest me

I wonder if they chose a guy from eSports because it means he's probably already used to death threats and all the aggressive negativity BioWare has been getting? In the Polygon piece about criticism and negativity from gamers, Zeschuk basically admitted that it was part of the reason for him leaving BioWare.

Andy Chalk:
I don't want to dump on Bromberg at this early juncture, he may or may not prove to be the leader BioWare needs right now, but from a sentimental (and creative) standpoint, it's disappointing that Aaryn Flynn didn't get the gig. Guy's been with BioWare since 2000 and Baldur's Gate 2 - although maybe that worked against him in this case.

given your avatar, i can't believe you didn't make "i am assuming direct control of this form" joke in there!

OT: will be interesting to see if this changes any directions that Bioware is taking with their games.

Another nail in the coffin... Another reason to reinforce my moral embargo on everything EA.

Oh come on guys, don't be all negative like that. The CEO =/= the entire development team of designers, artists & writers. He's at the very top call the big decisions, but I don't see why he would stop Bioware games from being Bioware games.

I'm willing to wait and see before biting the guys head off. I mean he's in charge of the BioWare group so basically all the studios EA named "BioWare" for the name recognition. BioWare Canada (ie the BioWare we like) is still under Aaryn Flynn so maybe Bromberg will be a decent boss and listen to the advice of his minions who see the day-to-day ops.

Of course this could also be the eternal optimist speaking....

Andy Chalk:
Tonight, however, EA revealed that the studio has a new shot-caller: Matthew Bromberg, formerly the CEO of Major League Gaming, who joined EA in 2012 as general manager of BioWare Austin following Zeschuk's departure.

And a flurry of shooters and sports games shall ensue. Dragon Age will morph from RPG to turn-based strategy, and Mass Effect 4 will entirely be played in first-person.

No, I am not looking forward to this.

gmaverick019:
given your avatar, i can't believe you didn't make "i am assuming direct control of this form" joke in there!

That's my cat. :)

Bioware as been dead since ME2/DA2 came out. Shitty (normal for EA) games. EA has kept the name to milk it for all its worth before finally killing it like they did with the dozens of other studios.

I'm surprised the Bioware has lasted this long in EA.

Be right back.

About to prepare popcorn for the biggest hilarity that is the upcoming failure of Mass Effect 4 and all subsequent Bioware games.

Good Night sweet prince. It was nice knowing you as a great company.

saintdane05:
He is Matthew Bromberg, of EA. Resistance is Futile. From this time forward, your games, as you know it, have ended.

They ended the moment Bioware became an EA owned whore.

I think it's painfully apparent that no matter who EA sews into the lead position, their company is still just one long human centipede and is only capable of expelling one kind of product regardless of the quality if nourishment it's given.

It's not a job I'd want right now. Talk about seating yourself right in the middle of the bullseye.

Honestly, what I've seen of the latest Dragon's Age looks pretty promising, but I'm genuinely wondering if the founders departed Bioware because they saw wounds that were just going to fester. I guess time will tell.

kael013:

This guy's got experience running a tournament organization (which doesn't line up with running a game dev company)and is responsible for a f2p model so restrictive you have to sub just to function (unless you enjoy constantly being under-leveled and having to pay RL money to buy end-game gear).

I have a bad feeling about this...

One might argue that maybe his experience gives him just the right skill set. Being a game dev is always beneficial since you know the business you are supposed to manage, but coming from the MGL he's no doubt got loads of experience handling external pressure vs internal ambition which is undoubtedly the kind of skill that fits right into the position of GM of a publisher-owned development studio.

As for the TOR f2p-model, I don't think we can blame him for it. Whatever one might say about it (and it isn't good), at least the transition was pretty smooth and that's saying something about his ability to manage a development team.

For now I'll just wait and see. Bioware has been in decline for years and I am not sure a new GM, good or bad, will have much impact at all.

When EA bought Bioware people advocated the end of bioware.
I didint believe them.
When Mass effect 3 was released people advocated the end of bioware.
I didnt believe them.
This, however, made me believe it. It was a fun ride while it lasted, so long.

Nurb:

saintdane05:

They ended the moment Bioware became an EA owned whore.

To be fair the games that were in development before Bioware was bought out but were released by EA (the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins) were good.

It was only later projects which were started under EA did Bioware's quality take a nosedive.

Captcha: Dollar signs

I hope for his sanity he keeps as far away from the 'fans' as possible!

RaNDM G:

Dragon Age will morph from RPG to turn-based strategy.

You say this as if it was a bad thing. Turn-based strategy is pretty awesome, and a strategy spinoff of the first Qunari war against the Tevinter Imperium would be pretty fun to play.

Yuuki:
Oh come on guys, don't be all negative like that. The CEO =/= the entire development team of designers, artists & writers. He's at the very top call the big decisions, but I don't see why he would stop Bioware games from being Bioware games.

Short version: "Tone at the top." The CEO's management style will influence the creative process in some way, be it subtle or overt, regardless of whether he want to or not. But maybe the long version explains it best:

But the future refused to change.

But no, in all seriousness, Bioware has been dead for years now.

EA is just pissing on the corpse

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or