Battlefield 4's System Requirements Won't Melt Your PC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Battlefield 4's System Requirements Won't Melt Your PC

Battlefield 4 promo artwork

Battlefield 4 will run on the seven-year-old 8800 GT: the graphics card that just keeps on giving.

DICE has revealed the minimum and recommended system requirements for its upcoming spunk-gargle-wee-wee shooter: Battlefield 4, and the good news is you won't need a computer from the future to run it. DICE are well-known for optimizing their games to run reasonably on older systems, and Battlefield 4 is no exception - you'll be able to run it on the seven-year-old Nvidia 8800 GT: the graphics card that just doesn't know how to say die.

Here are the game's minimum system requirements, which include the legendary 8800:

• Windows Vista 32 bit
  • AMD Athalon X2 2.8 ghz / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 3870 / Nvidia 8800 GT
  • 512 MB Graphics Memory
  • 30 GB Hard Disk Space

Of course, if you want the game to look as silky smooth as the videos DICE has been showing off, you'll probably want a system a bit closer to the recommended system requirements:

• Windows 8 64 bit
  • AMD six-core CPU / Intel quad-core CPU
  • 8 GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 7870 / Nvidia GTX 660
  • 3 GB Graphics Memory
  • 30 GB Hard Disk Space

So as you can see, the minimum specs are quite modest, and even the recommended specs shouldn't cost you too much more than a next-gen console.

Will your PC be ready to run BF4 when it comes out this October, or is it time to hit the shop for an upgrade?

Source: Twitter

Steven Bogos:
Will your PC be ready to run BF4 when it comes out this October, or is it time to hit the shop for an upgrade?

Considering I won't even bother buying this 110$-mappack (because let's face the truth - it is a mappack and you WILL need all the DLCs later to join any server in the first place - it's the same with BF3 already), I don't even care if it could run it.
Also, aren't those requirement similar to BF3?

recommended system requirements:

Windows 8 64 bit

Like hell...Sorry, I mean fuck off. Anyone in their right gaming mind will dodge the OS like a steaming turd on the grass.

mad825:

Windows 8 64 bit

Like hell...Sorry, I mean fuck off. Anyone in their right gaming mind will dodge the OS like a steaming turd on the grass.

Actually, while still not as close to the stability of Windows 7, windows 8 has made tremendous strides in recent times. It won't be long before it becomes a superior OS

"Spunk-gargle-wee-wee".

Really? Even the news crew is parroting Yahtzee now?

Come on guys, it was mildly funny when he said it the first time. It has not improved with recycling.

Incidentally, the cake is a lie LOL!!!!

Why is Win8 on the recommended system requirements? Does it improve performance in any way?

Bindal:

Steven Bogos:

Considering I won't even bother buying this 110$-mappack (because let's face the truth - it is a mappack and you WILL need all the DLCs later to join any server in the first place - it's the same with BF3 already), I don't even care if it could run it.
Also, aren't those requirement similar to BF3?

While I agree with you on the principle of not buying this game due to this reason, I have to say that I can find plenty of BF3 servers to play on without DLC. I got the game on the EA Humble Bundle, and I have no DLC for it.

Zhukov:
-snip-

They've been doing it for a while, now. It really isn't impressive for a games journalism site with a modicum of integrity to parrot such a phrase without any form of irony.

If they have an issue with MMS games, then fine. But if you're going to report the news, just do it properly, without editorialising your phrases.

But then again, it's their site, they can report how they wish. The problem isn't enough to make me leave the site. But as Jim said in his most recent Jimquisition, people are free to create, but they are not free from the comment/criticism of others.

Doom972:
Why is Win8 on the recommended system requirements? Does it improve performance in any way?

Improved kernel, improved WDDM manager, more robust standard driver support. Technically, Windows 8 is superior to 7, and I personally am happy to use it for all the improvements over 7. The big problem is Metro. MS didn't make a technical failure with 8 (like they did in the past with ME or Vista), they made a marketing failure.

I suspect you will take a bigger hit from a dual-core than an old GPU. My machine is bottlenecked by my (still awesome) i5 2500k in BF3. Dropping AA entirely doesn't bring my frame rate up on 64 player maps, my GPUs are more than adequate I should think even for 2560x1440.

Also Win8 is pretty awesome, but Metro and no Media Centre is poo. Mind you I've fixed the Start button myself, and I got MC for free when it was offered.

As a owner of 8600GS i want to shake my first in the air to non existing gods for them coming so close.
I really need to update get a new PC.

the minimum requirements are vista though, so i guess they are running on directx 10-11 there, but its not like any sane person still uses vista anyway so they should have just written 7 instead.

octafish:
and no Media Centre

Wait, anyone actually use that? one of the first things i edited out was this silly media center crap.

i have a 7870 but it has 2gb graphic memory.
im sure i will get it to run on highest settings since BF3 does.

Is Origin still a minimum requirement? If so then I can't get it then.

So minimum requirement are relatively static, but recommended requirements have jumped considerably, particularly the amount of RAM, which has more than doubled from BF3. If nothing else, it adds credence to the rumour that players numbers will be increasing on official servers.

Not that 128 and 256 player servers haven't been around since BF2, but hey ho, EA and Evenbalance have to catch up eventually.

I think I'll be getting some extra RAM and a quieter CPU cooler...

Zhukov:

Come on guys, it was mildly funny when he said it the first time. It has not improved with recycling.

That's a good metaphor for the games it describes.

Then what's the point?
You can't really enjoy gaming if your PC isn't on fire.

fix-the-spade:

Zhukov:

*shrug*

I'm not defending modern military shooters. I'm pretty sick of them too.

However, smug parroting of not particularly funny phrases doesn't irritate me any less because it happens to be aimed at something I don't much like.

Zhukov:

fix-the-spade:

Zhukov:

Incidentally, the cake is a lie LOL!!!!

*shrug*

I'm not defending modern military shooters. I'm pretty sick of them too.

However, smug parroting of not particularly funny phrases doesn't irritate me any less because it happens to be aimed at something I don't much like.

I use the term "Spunk-gargle-wee-wee" not for its comedic value but because there isn't another term that perfectly fits it definition. Spec Ops: The Line is a modern military shooter but it certainly isn't a spunk-gargle-wee-wee. That Yahtzee picked such a obtuse or comedic term is simply icing on the- err, the french fancy.

Chaos Marine:

That is a good question. I have been wondering about that and the "feature" of having to browse for and join servers in an idiotic web interface.

As far as the system requirements, of course it will run silky smooth on my PC, BF3 did and 4 is just a retread.

Strazdas:
As a owner of 8600GS i want to shake my first in the air to non existing gods for them coming so close.
I really need to update get a new PC.

I have a similarly powered 9600M gs on my laptop, and I have been shaking my fist the same way since 2011. At least I'll be getting something with a GF 660-760 next month.

My laptop will run this most certainly... unfortunately Origin is a requirement so I suppose I'll have to pass.

I wont be playing Battlefield again until we get a 2142 remake.

Amazing EA, not only are you releasing a game with premium DLC that will cost another 40-50 but you've also ante'd the requirements.

Good to know I built this PC to find out it can't run a shitty overpriced crowd fracturing game.

Chaos Marine:

Origin is not that much worse than Steam. If you're willing to use Valve's service, what's your objection to Origin beyond LOL EA?

Shadow-Phoenix:
Amazing EA, not only are you releasing a game with premium DLC that will cost another 40-50 but you've also ante'd the requirements.

Good to know I built this PC to find out it can't run a shitty overpriced crowd fracturing game.

How long ago did you build a machine that can't meet the minimum specs. Those are pretty low.

Sorry for double post

Can't say I'll be having any regrets about missing this one. The recent trend of doubling memory and HDD requirements does tick me off, big time. I should petition steam to lax their file authentication/validation to support butchered packages.

Alfador_VII:

How long ago did you build a machine that can't meet the minimum specs. Those are pretty low.

Sometime near the end of last year, though a friend handled the build for me (it actually turned out he was a lying bastard and built a better build for himself behind my back) and it cost me two rebate cheques (450 each).

Pretty much got a 1st gen Intel i7 920 (2.67ghz)
4 gigs DDR3 RAM (did have 12 in total but the motherboard is having none of that)
an ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard (it came from Russia for reasons unknown)
a Nvidia GTX 660ti PE.

The build itself can handle pretty much all games to the current date (save for Crysis because I'm not a fan of that series and don't wish to push the desktop to the brink of oblivion for no good reason).

The thing that really takes my cake is that I really wouldn't mind playing Battlefield, if only EA hadn't decided to include over priced premium map packs and suddenly out of nowhere turn up the requirements.

I've tried windows 8 before and I can safely say I can't find a single care for it and it just doesn't feel as great as OS 7 and since this build is rather recent, I'm strapped for cash (the rebates gave the one opportunity to make the build) and don't want to hop out there and gather more parts while racking up a hefty bill just to play one game.

Alfador_VII:

Chaos Marine:

Origin is not that much worse than Steam. If you're willing to use Valve's service, what's your objection to Origin beyond LOL EA?
[...]

When someone says that a lot of people just hate EA because it seems to be cool nowadays, I'd have to agree.

Assuming that this is the case in a discussion is a really poor defense on your side though, given that there are enough good reasons to hate them.
If you want some, go ahead and read the wikipedia entry on EA; or to be more accurate, the "Critisim" part (you know, the part that's roughly as long as the entire wikipedia entry of Valve without the games-list).

Shadow-Phoenix:

Alfador_VII:

Sometime near the end of last year, though a friend handled the build for me (it actually turned out he was a lying bastard and built a better build for himself behind my back) and it cost me two rebate cheques (450 each).

4 gigs DDR3 RAM (did have 12 in total but the motherboard is having none of that)
a Nvidia GTX 660ti PE.

The build itself can handle pretty much all games to the current date (save for Crysis because I'm not a fan of that series and don't wish to push the desktop to the brink of oblivion for no good reason).

The thing that really takes my cake is that I really wouldn't mind playing Battlefield, if only EA hadn't decided to include over priced premium map packs and suddenly out of nowhere turn up the requirements.

I've tried windows 8 before and I can safely say I can't find a single care for it and it just doesn't feel as great as OS 7 and since this build is rather recent, I'm strapped for cash (the rebates gave the one opportunity to make the build) and don't want to hop out there and gather more parts while racking up a hefty bill just to play one game.

I suggest you read the article again, you're way above the min specs on everything other than RAM, and you should be fine there as you match the min spec

I agree on Win 8, and so long as you have Win 7 64-bit, that's probably even better than what they recommend

Shadow-Phoenix:

a Nvidia GTX 660ti PE.

Noooo, trust me, you're fine. I had a 660 ti and it was awesome. Pretty sure it's capable of running Crysis on high or ultra (or at least I read some reviews stating that, didn't actually try it myself), and your cpu, despite being 1st gen when we're on the 4th gen, is still quad-core with hyperthreading.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Alfador_VII:

a Nvidia GTX 660ti PE.

Wow, he has ripped you off there. :/

First gen Intel Core i CPU, ASRock motherboard and a Nvidia GPU*. Ouch.
I recommend you getting another 4GB of Ram if you want to keep playing demanding games on this machine.

*In before flaming:
1. There is no excuse for getting an first gen Intel Core i CPU that late. They're just such a waste of money.
2. ASRock isn't producing crap (anymore), but they only have 6 months of guarantee, whereas Gigabyte has 3 years. It's just not smart to buy ASRock until they change that, considering the price difference is not that big.
3. For quite some time now, AMD has produced the better graphics cards. They offer more power for less money and don't get quite as hot. However, Nvidia hasn't been sleeping and slowly got closer to AMD in this regard. With the GeForce 6xx series it got a lot better, but AMD still has the edge.

EDIT:
BTW, Crysis isn't *that* hard to run anymore. ;)

Remove stupid Origin and I would consider playing it.

Alfador_VII:

I suggest you read the article again, you're way above the min specs on everything other than RAM, and you should be fine there as you match the min spec

I agree on Win 8, and so long as you have Win 7 64-bit, that's probably even better than what they recommend

TakeyB0y2:

Noooo, trust me, you're fine. I had a 660 ti and it was awesome. Pretty sure it's capable of running Crysis on high or ultra (or at least I read some reviews stating that, didn't actually try it myself), and your cpu, despite being 1st gen when we're on the 4th gen, is still quad-core with hyperthreading.

I'd have to agree but forgive me for not being confident in my own build with the lack of another 4gb and 3gb GPU card.

TheSniperFan:
Wow, he has ripped you off there. :/

First gen Intel Core i CPU, ASRock motherboard and a Nvidia GPU*. Ouch.
I recommend you getting another 4GB of Ram if you want to keep playing demanding games on this machine.

*In before flaming:
1. There is no excuse for getting an first gen Intel Core i CPU that late. They're just such a waste of money.
2. ASRock isn't producing crap (anymore), but they only have 6 months of guarantee, whereas Gigabyte has 3 years. It's just not smart to buy ASRock until they change that, considering the price difference is not that big.
3. For quite some time now, AMD has produced the better graphics cards. They offer more power for less money and don't get quite as hot. However, Nvidia hasn't been sleeping and slowly got closer to AMD in this regard. With the GeForce 6xx series it got a lot better, but AMD still has the edge.

EDIT:
BTW, Crysis isn't *that* hard to run anymore. ;)

That he did but he was also a roommate, after I had this build inspected by another more knowledgable friend (let's call him Andy) we had both by then confirmed my roomie had actually consulted Andy behind my back and Andy knew nothing of what had happened.

it also turned out that my Roomie crafted the build spec himself, showed it to Andy to have him tell him it was crap and that's when me and Andy realised I was given my Roomie's old spec build while Andy had provided his own exact spec to my roomie.

basically me and Andy were played for chumps and well I sent my roomie packing and I've not spoken to him since because you just don't do that to a friend, let alone a friend who spent two rebates to pay for it.

I just remembered that my birthday was a few days ago with me having managed to save around 300 so I should probably keep that on ice until I can craft a new spec to build upon.

You're correct about all the parts and that is what makes me not so confident with this build, like taking a leap of faith for every new PC game that comes around.

mad825:

Windows 8 64 bit

ANNNND Origin so that is a combo you want to subject yourself to on purpose.....

Steven Bogos:

while not even as close to the stability of Windows 7. It won't be long before it becomes a superior OS called Windows 9

There you go fixed it for yah. Microsoft has a 1 to 1 ratio of turd vs functional.

95+
98-
98SE+
ME-
XP+
Visa-
7+
8-

Steven Bogos:

mad825:

Windows 8 64 bit

Actually, while still not as close to the stability of Windows 7, windows 8 has made tremendous strides in recent times. It won't be long before it becomes a superior OS

What he said^^. Windows 8 has also been proven in benchmarks to be slightly faster on the gaming front than Win 7. I use it on my rig and find it to be a bit snappier than 7. It also boots a bit quicker. The only thing I dislike about the OS is metro but 8.1 should hopefully alleviate some of those issues with a program menu and booting straight to desktop. Or you could go the route I did and use Start8......

Alfador_VII:

Chaos Marine:

I'd be happy to answer that for you. When comparing the two you assume that they both carry equal weight by their features. On paper when you look at origin vs steam there isn't too much variation, there is some though.

However, 6 years ago I was very hesitant to use steam because it was not the great service it is today. It was saddled with problems and going through the growing pains. Yet after all those years steam won me over and I now have a library of over 200 games (majority picked up on sale of course).

Heck the only reason I shop at GMG and amazon digital sales is because they give me steam keys so I don't have games scattered everywhere on my computer. I did make a small exception for GoG but they don't require me to install another platform just to play a handful of titles.

To sum up my point; if steam meets all my needs why would I install origin if it doesn't do anything more that I need? Sure they are holding a few "decent" games hostage with the platform but that isn't enough to sway people such as myself.

Disregard completely the whole "Windows 8 recommended" part, they just want you to buy that broken OS, it will work just fine on Windows 7.

Regarding the specs themselves, I've ran the program "Can I run it?" and to my surprise the score was in the 80's. Coming from a computer which is 3yo and considered medium to high range at the moment, I am quite happy.

I don't think I will get BF4 though, since it looks pretty much the same as BF3 to me with a few extra gimmicks. That jump in requirements also doesn't help as well.

I already can play BF3 in Med-High specs, these requirements don't seem to be that much different than BF3's. In fact, I don't see much difference compared to BF3.

As for anyone complaining about Origin... really?, I mean, yes, it's not Steam, but I find it inoffensive at best, it doesn't leech resources unecessary and you don't need to keep it running if you only use it for Battlefield.

At this point, people are simply bitching about it, because "LOL EA".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here