Apple Announces iPhone 5S and 5C

Apple Announces iPhone 5S and 5C

And then there were two. Apple will release both the spec-intensive iPhone 5S, and the long-rumored budget-conscious iPhone 5C.

Apple unveiled two new iPhones at a special announcement event today at their Cupertino, CA headquarters. For the first time, Apple will release two separate versions of the iPhone simultaneously: The new and improved iPhone 5S, and the comparatively cheaper iPhone 5C. Both phones have been the source of a multitude of rumors for the past few months. In both cases, the phones seem to be exactly what pundits and fans expected.

The iPhone 5S is the next iPhone, in the plainest sense. Building on the features of iPhone 5, the 5S features a new A7 chip, and a M7 " motion co-processor" to handle data from the phone's gyroscope, accelerometer and compass. The result is a phone with "56x" graphical processing power. The 5S' signature feature is the "Touch ID" fingerprint scanner built into the phone's home button. The 500-point scanner can be used to authenticate app store purchases, among other things.

Meanwhile, the iPhone 5C is a scaled-down version of the iPhone 5. Though the camera and battery have been improved over the 5, the 5C sports an A6 processor - the same one as the iPhone 5 - and a smaller, 4-inch retina display. The most noticeable difference, however, is the colorful plastic back. Available in five colors - green, white, blue, red, and yellow - Apple has also created first-party silicon rubber cases specifically for the phone. (There's a black case, so you don't need to be colorful if you don't want to.)

And of course, there's the price. Being the "budget model" The iPhone 5C is $99 for the 16GB model with a two-year carrier contract, and $199 for the 32GB version. The iPhone 5S sticks to the standard iPhone pricing model: $199 for 16GB on contract, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB.

In addition to the new hardware, Apple announced that the next version of the iPhone operating system iOS 7 will be available for consumers September 18. The update is a major step forward for the OS, not just because of its substantial aesthetic changes, but because it finally add controller support to iPhones and iPads.

Both the iPhone 5S and 5C will be available for pre-order this Friday, September 13, and in stores on September 20.

Source: The Verge

Well I guess all those fans know what they were actually waiting for now :p

Now that it has been announced it finally makes sense to get my camping equipment ready.

Yeah, I don't really want a new phone. I am quite happy with the one I've got and I intend to keep it until it's no longer functional.

Really. They had to make brand new models for just a few new options and more GBs. People are still getting excited for these announcements.
Send me off STIG

Just the word Apple makes my eyes roll now. They used to release one product. It would work, it would be reliable and it was all you'd need. Then they made fifty different iPods ever month and now they vomit out phones with different licks of paint every seven days. Few companies so perfectly represent blind consumerism.

Hopefully I live long enough to witness the Apple crash. I'll send an email to their marketing team with nothing but my laughter.

Maiev Shadowsong:
Just the word Apple makes my eyes roll now. They used to release one product. It would work, it would be reliable and it was all you'd need. Then they made fifty different iPods ever month and now they vomit out phones with different licks of paint every seven days. Few companies so perfectly represent blind consumerism.

Hopefully I live long enough to witness the Apple crash. I'll send an email to their marketing team with nothing but my laughter.

ill join in this.

I don't know what the prices are off contract, but i'm perfectly fine with my phone now until it dies out, these apple updates are getting worse than COD updates.

A 64 gigabyte class 10 SDHC card costs 50 bucks, yet a 64gb ipoon is $200 more than the 8 gig. It's industry standard pricing, there are different levels of customer need, it's marketing, they are a business, blah blah blah. I still call BS on the pricing.

5S is a reasonable upgrade, given apple's tic-tock upgrade pattern. Definitely better than the 4S in terms of advancement.

the 5C is for lunatics. Mad madmen and people who think they are onions.

Maiev Shadowsong:

I have to agree with you. I sometimes wonder whether we'd see Apple having gone in the direction it has if Steve Jobs were still around? I can't help thinking not - he was all about doing one version of a product extremely well. While I understand the commercial reasons for the 5C, I feel that it cheapens the iPhone brand a little, and isn't actually cheap enough to make a dent in third world emerging markets, which is what I thought the point of it was.

It feels like Tim Cook lacks the focus and conviction that Jobs had, and is feeling pressure (probably from investors) to try to take market share away from the glut of cheaper smart phones on the market.

Or perhaps I'm seeing it all wrong! :-)

Yeah, the "budget" iPhone 5C costs 599€ (16GB) and 699€ (32GB). Try again Apple.
I could buy a Nexus 4 16GB for 249€ right now.

Wow. Original iPhone 5 came out last september. One year later they have two more. What they gonna do with the iphone 6? Release 6 more varients? Soon it will be iPhone 8 versions A all the way to Z.

So every single rumor turned out to be true. The finger print scanner is kinda cool. I heard other phones did it before but it wasn't done very well

Michael Epstein:
budget-conscious iPhone 5C.
And of course, there's the price. Being the "budget model" The iPhone 5C is $99 for the 16GB model with a two-year carrier contract, and $199 for the 32GB version.

This is Apple's version of budget conscious? I bought my 32 gig HTC One with a quad core and a 1080p screen for $200 on contract. Apple makes fine stuff (see any android drop test compared to the iPhone 5) but it's pretty hard to defend people who will pay so much more and get less in return

Is there really any need to keep upgrading your phone every 11 months? The top model's the same price as a PS4!

ephesus64:
A 64 gigabyte class 10 SDHC card costs 50 bucks, yet a 64gb ipoon is $200 more than the 8 gig. It's industry standard pricing, there are different levels of customer need, it's marketing, they are a business, blah blah blah. I still call BS on the pricing.

Whenever I get the bug to go hunting online for the cheapest, most powerful laptop I can find I always get a shock when I scan down the spec lists and see a new laptop with a standard processor, tiny amount of RAM and weak graphics card worth about $500 selling for around $1000. Then I realise it's a Macbook pro.

"Pro" indeed.

The fact that the 32GB 5c is approximately twice the price of the 16gb one shows just what sort of audience apple targets; Those that have no idea about technology.

Memory is so cheap these days that doubling the memory should not double the price. Certainly not at these prices. What a joke.

Looks like more of the same from Apple, nothing interesting or worth investing in this. Hell, I don't even care about Apple's phone selection and don't see the hype over an expensive brand name cellphone to begin with.

Apple has the best kind of customers.

I'm not saying their products are bad or that all fans are mindless sheep though. Overpriced for sure, but not bad.

I have learned not to argue with Apple fanboys, because they often bring up the "You're just jealous because you cannot afford it" defense that makes me want to punch them in the face.
Then again, it's a general fanboy-problem...

The fingerprint scanner is pretty cool, but overall definitely not something I would shell out money for even if I were rich, considering I have a still perfectly capable iPhone 5 sitting right next to me that I received as a generous gift not quite a year ago. Honestly, unless you haven't upgraded your phone in several years or had an unfortunate accident rendering it a brick, buying a new model just seems wasteful to me.

Man, and we thought those crazy guys who were already standing in line were crazy.
Well who's laughing now huh?

I heard about this a week or so ago and how the screen is supposed to be the biggest around at 6 inches or something.

All I could think was "It's probably a man who said that and it's really only 4 inches if you're being generous!" :p

Srs face, I'm glad they offer a budget option. Hopefully they improve the screen so it can survive a 1.5 inch drop onto carpet without shattering.

Now, what is it that makes the 5c so much cheaper? From what I understand, it's an iPhone 5 that has plastic backing instead of metal.

Whatever the reason, should I ever be able to get a phone, I suppose that'd be a good option for me.

Aside from ticking off my wife when she can't unlock my phone without my fingerprint, what other purposes does this fingerprint scanner serve?

I'm happy with my ipad2/ iPhone 4S for now. Unless they come out with some really useful innovation, I'm going to bide my time until I can get some google goggles to look ridiculous in.

Apple has coasted so long on 'the cult of apple' it forgot to what Microsoft also forgot to do; be competitive. The fact that only NOW, after losing so much ground, they grudgingly accept the reality that the same rules apply to their products as everyone else is very telling of their mindset. Modern Apple thought it was 'too good' to go into the budget market and Samsung/ Android ate them alive.

"We're Apple. Our products need a %500 markup or how else are we supposed to roll around in our money?"

The old Palm Pilot user in me is showing.

"Wait, so the 5C is the version with the colour screen?"

So with the processing pwoer of the 5S, do we have a phone that can contest gaming consoles? well at least till next gen as those are faster thna current gen consoles anyway.

schrodinger:
Really. They had to make brand new models for just a few new options and more GBs. People are still getting excited for these announcements.

The thing is, people are actually buying them because " i want to have latest model".
Thats apple marketing for you. take a moderate product. price it twice its worth. sell it for even more and have them beggign for more. this is how you do marketing. Learn microsoft, learn.

PoolCleaningRobot:
Apple makes fine stuff (see any android drop test compared to the iPhone 5) but it's pretty hard to defend people who will pay so much more and get less in return

If peopel boughtp hones based on how much can they throw them on the ground in hissy fit everyone would be using nokia 3310.
Now normal human beings on the other hand do not throw their phones around.

TheSniperFan:

I have learned not to argue with Apple fanboys, because they often bring up the "You're just jealous because you cannot afford it" defense that makes me want to punch them in the face.

Strazdas:

TheSniperFan:

Pot's kinda calling the Kettle black there, given how most Apple-Bashers don't know any argument other than going "YOU ARE MINDLESS FANBOI CORPORATE BUZZWORD SHEEPLE NOT WORTH ARGUING WITH (which is good because I don't actually have any)" to anyone who doesn't immediately fall in line and calling that a victory

Aeshi:

Pot's kinda calling the Kettle black there, given how most Apple-Bashers don't know any argument other than going "YOU ARE MINDLESS FANBOI CORPORATE BUZZWORD SHEEPLE NOT WORTH ARGUING WITH (which is good because I don't actually have any)" to anyone who doesn't immediately fall in line and calling that a victory

Im very glad you are able to determine what i do and do not know from a jokingly posted picture on the internet.

They look like the windows 8 nokia phones.

No really, they do.

DO YOU SEE!?

Apple products + fingerprint scanner = a very happy NSA

No thank you.

... and I can get literally every android phone for free on a 2-year contract here. How can you measure a phone's "budget" by how much it is on contract?

Strazdas:

PoolCleaningRobot:
Apple makes fine stuff (see any android drop test compared to the iPhone 5) but it's pretty hard to defend people who will pay so much more and get less in return

If peopel boughtp hones based on how much can they throw them on the ground in hissy fit everyone would be using nokia 3310.

Wow so totally legit and not a hyperbolic strawman argument at all.

"I need a laptop with good battery"
"Buy a TI-83 calculator"

"I want a car with a good crash test rating"
"Most people don't try to get into car accidents. If you plan on getting in an accident it, buy a bike"

Build quality matters. If you want a phone to last a few years it has to survive a few drops. You wouldn't buy a phone that would break if so much as sneeze on it and you wouldn't buy an old Nokia if you needed a smart phone

I don't even like Apple. In fact, there are so many reasons to not like Apple you shouldn't have to make up nonsense and use a demotivational poster to make your point

Personally I like how they are pushing their ''innovative new IOS 7'' which in reality is pretty much what Android has been like for a good few years.

My $149 Android phone works just as well as this overpriced plastic, electronics and metal. Why do people insist on getting the latest toy when their iPhone 5 is good enough? Repetition of production, no?

They're like the Call of Duty of phones, something new is released and all the CoD sheep flock to play it too.

PoolCleaningRobot:

Strazdas:

PoolCleaningRobot:

Wow so totally legit and not a hyperbolic strawman argument at all.

"I need a laptop with good battery"
"Buy a TI-83 calculator"

"I want a car with a good crash test rating"
"Most people don't try to get into car accidents. If you plan on getting in an accident it, buy a bike"

Build quality matters. If you want a phone to last a few years it has to survive a few drops. You wouldn't buy a phone that would break if so much as sneeze on it and you wouldn't buy an old Nokia if you needed a smart phone

I don't even like Apple. In fact, there are so many reasons to not like Apple you shouldn't have to make up nonsense and use a demotivational poster to make your point

Build quality is good enough for every phone out there at the moment, so the only reason to look for "Stronger phone" is if you indeed want to throw it around like a basketball.
And yes, that was a strawman. Now where is my brain the wizard gave me....

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here