League of Legends Teases New Champion, Adds New Skins

ao shen image

Ao Shin: the Storm Dragon, aims push the limits of what's technically and creatively possible in League of Legends.

Riot have posted a "champion sneak peak" into Ao Shin: the Storm Dragon, a champion due to enter the League of Legends some time in the future. Additionally, four new "pool party" skins for Lee Sin, Graves, Leona and Renekton have just been released, to join the previously released pool party Ziggs.

Riot says that the League of Legends community has been asking for a dragon champion for some time, "but we knew we couldn't just do any dragon." With Ao Shin, the team aims push the limits of what's technically and creatively possible in League of Legends. "One of the challenges we're looking forward to tackling is how to capture his unique anatomy and movement in a way that brings a new dimension to the champion pool." said Riot poster Sixtwo. "We're really excited about the ways this champion will move across the battlefield."

Ao Shin won't be the next champion to be released as he's still a ways off and many things are still subject to change, but Sixtwo claims Riot wants to "share our inspiration with you and give you a look at the early thought processes that go into champ design." Have a gander at his proposed design below:

Meanwhile, the new pool party skins will add some summer themed-spell effects to the four champions, and are priced as follows:

• Pool Party Graves - 1350 RP. On sale for 975 for the next two weeks.
  • Pool Party Lee Sin - 975 RP
  • Pool Party Leona - 975 RP
  • Pool Party Renekton - 975 RP

Check them out in action below:

Source: Riot Games

Where's the pool party Nami? Goddamnit Riot. I want more fishgirl skins!

Just nabbed pool party Renekton myself. Here's hoping Ao Shin is an apc or a jungler.

Why does the proposed design look so good and the more developed picture looks completely shit. I really hope they improve him A LOT before they release him.

I've greatly disliked the design of a few of the more recent champs.

Judging from the picture in the link I'd say his 3 abilities will probably be a skillshot thunder attack, a cloud which will damage and/or slow the target, a wind that covers him and increases his movement speed or attack and his ulti will be a giant thunder tornado and hopefully they release a sea-based skin which changes that into a sharknado

I don't understand why this is particularly significant. New characters are released all the time. Is the inability to use a previous skeleton for modeling noteworthy? Or has the Escapist released an article about all the previous champions?

keserak:
I don't understand why this is particularly significant. New characters are released all the time. Is the inability to use a previous skeleton for modeling noteworthy? Or has the Escapist released an article about all the previous champions?

Escapist has a bit of a hardon for LoL and tends to post articles about minor updates all the time, with larger ones when new heroes are released. I don't really see the point in it either, but no point in getting worked up about it...

Just what you want, a Space Crocodile in the pool.

keserak:

Jandau:

keserak:

Escapist has a bit of a hardon for LoL and tends to post articles about minor updates all the time, with larger ones when new heroes are released. I don't really see the point in it either, but no point in getting worked up about it...

And there's no harm in having more articles to read. I refresh the escapist page more often than is healthy and usually find nothing new.

Chairman Miaow:
Why does the proposed design look so good and the more developed picture looks completely shit. I really hope they improve him A LOT before they release him.

Because the later one intentionally isn't as detailed?(I'm assuming you're on about the black and white one) It's rough concept art demonstrating his attacks and movement, not for eye candy purposes, the first picture is to show what he looks like.

elvor0:

Chairman Miaow:

Because the later one intentionally isn't as detailed?(I'm assuming you're on about the black and white one) It's rough concept art demonstrating his attacks and movement, not for eye candy purposes, the first picture is to show what he looks like.

I do believe he meant that the first (colored) picture looks terrible and generic, while the black and white "concept" ones look very nice. To which I wholeheartedly agree.

So, I guess someone at riot was playing smite? I mean, He's even got similar skills it seems

Welp.... going to have to save up my ip now.

Also, dat beach ball orianna in the background :P

Jandau:

keserak:

I suppose the reason is simply that LoL is the most played game in the world right now, and therefore apparently trivial updates would be of interest to a massive amount of readers.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:

Jandau:

keserak:

I suppose the reason is simply that LoL is the most played game in the world right now, and therefore apparently trivial updates would be of interest to a massive amount of readers.

Wouldn't those readers be reading LoL news streams anyway? What with them being in the game client? Also, I don't mind an article if a game gets a major update. A few pieces of concept art and a few second-rate skins hardly merits an article in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if Escapist people love LoL to that extent, it's their site, they can write what they want, but I still get to think it's a pointless article only serving to pad out a slow news day...

Lumzdas:

elvor0:

Chairman Miaow:

I do believe he meant that the first (colored) picture looks terrible and generic, while the black and white "concept" ones look very nice. To which I wholeheartedly agree.

Personally I don't think they look any different, aside from the bw one being a more simplistic version without all the fine details. Design wise they're exactly the same.

DemikidZA:
Judging from the picture in the link I'd say his 3 abilities will probably be a skillshot thunder attack, a cloud which will damage and/or slow the target, a wind that covers him and increases his movement speed or attack and his ulti will be a giant thunder tornado and hopefully they release a sea-based skin which changes that into a sharknado

This.
Fucking THIS!
make it happen Riot.

Jandau:

keserak:

League of Legends currently one of the most popular online games in the world.
Which translates to a large potential audience. I'm thinking that more than anything drives the Escapist's bias for LoL.

I'd call it free advertising, but they don't exactly have any existing conflict of interests so...why not?

OT: It figures that they would tease an actual fucking dragon champ right after I quit LoL (on account of 3.11).
One promising interesting mechanical interactions, no less.

Jandau:

Wouldn't those readers be reading LoL news streams anyway? What with them being in the game client? Also, I don't mind an article if a game gets a major update. A few pieces of concept art and a few second-rate skins hardly merits an article in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if Escapist people love LoL to that extent, it's their site, they can write what they want, but I still get to think it's a pointless article only serving to pad out a slow news day...

Ya, the escapist is a bit slow on putting this up compared to when a lot of people learned about it.
But I appreciate the effort I suppose. If I didn't see it before I would have seen it here. :)

DemikidZA:

His passive is to revive krillin :P

elvor0:

Lumzdas:

elvor0:

Personally I don't think they look any different, aside from the bw one being a more simplistic version without all the fine details. Design wise they're exactly the same.

And I, personally, think they are different, seeing how the colored one is a lizardy dragon with scales and a physical tail, and the concept one is more.. ethereal I suppose. The tail ends with a flame, and the face is more pointy. They're similar, but far from the same.

For each their own, I guess.

Atmos Duality:

Jandau:

keserak:

League of Legends currently one of the most popular online games in the world.
Which translates to a large potential audience. I'm thinking that more than anything drives the Escapist's bias for LoL.

I'd call it free advertising, but they don't exactly have any existing conflict of interests so...why not?

OT: It figures that they would tease an actual fucking dragon champ right after I quit LoL (on account of 3.11).
One promising interesting mechanical interactions, no less.

Correct. Many more readers are interested in League of Legends then say, DoTA 2

In other news, heat is hot, water is wet and gravity goes towards the center of the earth.

Atmos Duality:
It figures that they would tease an actual fucking dragon champ right after I quit LoL (on account of 3.11).

Just curious, what was it about 3.11 that made you quit? Most tweaks are rather minor, I can't for the life of me come up with a reason someone would quit over that patch? Am I missing something?

And as for those of you complaining about minor LoL news, just be happy Notch didn't sneeze. It would be all over EVERY news site.

So... does Shyvana not count as a dragon now?

MrPhyntch:

Just curious, what was it about 3.11 that made you quit? Most tweaks are rather minor, I can't for the life of me come up with a reason someone would quit over that patch? Am I missing something?

I don't blame you as it's something that effects a tiny portion of the LoL community at most.
Riot eliminated XP/IP gains from Custom games unless you have a lot of human players.
(5 for all modes except Twisted Treeline, which requires 3)

Which is problematic for me, because LoL hates my router and regularly dropped games for a time.
(and there is no fix except to replace the router, which I need to do anyway)

So, if I play Regulars or Coop Vs AI, there was a good chance that I'd drop, sit there for 5-10 minutes trying to reconnect, get marked Leaver and eventually temp banned after so many iterations of that.

Custom games let me play with bots and friends without that threat while (very slowly) letting me unlock content.

But no, Riot nixed it, presumably because people found a way to abuse solo Custom games.
(they used a specific setup to power level alt accounts to 10, so they could have the alts send referrals to their main account for free shit)

Until I sort my internet/router issues out, LoL is either unplayable or dead weight for me.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:
So... does Shyvana not count as a dragon now?

I'm guessing this was aimed at my statement as it doesn't make much sense otherwise.
If it wasn't...disregard.

Shyvana is Half-Dragon; so...she only counts half way. ;p

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or